Wiki/Website Suggestions

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Hello,

I just posted Bug 783240 to suggest some improvements to the home page. I am suggesting these changes because of discussions and developments with the wiki and its landing page.

It seems to me that the website Home page and the Documentation page include a lot of information that overlaps with the wiki, and I wonder if the roles and content for these various pages couldn’t be reconsidered. I will note that a number of the links on the website home page already link to the wiki, and I think this process could be extended.

Specifically, I think these two website pages should focus primarily on getting the new user informed at a macro level, whereas the wiki page(s) should point the user to information at a more detailed level. Mostly this means that the web pages would point to the wiki pages for those looking for more detailed assistance.

Ideally, the information in each place would support, reinforce, and refer to the information in the other, rather than duplicate it. Removing the duplication will make maintenance easier as well. Bug 783240 is what I see as a first step toward this; I would expect to modify the wiki landing page some more and turn it into a brief introductory narrative. Then the detailed lists might be moved to separate subpages, which would also allow the web site to link to these resources directly.

I welcome comments, both here and on the bug.

Re: Wiki/Website Suggestions

John Ralls-2

> On May 30, 2017, at 6:03 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I just posted Bug 783240 to suggest some improvements to the home page. I am suggesting these changes because of discussions and developments with the wiki and its landing page.
>
> It seems to me that the website Home page and the Documentation page include a lot of information that overlaps with the wiki, and I wonder if the roles and content for these various pages couldn’t be reconsidered. I will note that a number of the links on the website home page already link to the wiki, and I think this process could be extended.
>
> Specifically, I think these two website pages should focus primarily on getting the new user informed at a macro level, whereas the wiki page(s) should point the user to information at a more detailed level. Mostly this means that the web pages would point to the wiki pages for those looking for more detailed assistance.
>
> Ideally, the information in each place would support, reinforce, and refer to the information in the other, rather than duplicate it. Removing the duplication will make maintenance easier as well. Bug 783240 is what I see as a first step toward this; I would expect to modify the wiki landing page some more and turn it into a brief introductory narrative. Then the detailed lists might be moved to separate subpages, which would also allow the web site to link to these resources directly.
>
> I welcome comments, both here and on the bug.

I agree up to a point. I do think the www.gnucash.org <http://www.gnucash.org/> home page is a bit busy, and we could certainly leverage the wiki a bit more. I suggest that rather than being "complimentary", www.gnucash.org <http://www.gnucash.org/> and wiki.gnucash.org/wiki <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki> should be as close to the same as possible. They have exactly the same purpose, to encourage new users, to help new users find the right resources to be productive with GnuCash as quickly as possible, and to recruit new contributors.

The resources behind the links should be consistent and there's no need for duplication, so for each duplicated page we can decide whether the wiki or the website is more appropriate.