Where is the program to install Finance::Quote?

Where is the program to install Finance::Quote?

randix
Just picked up a new laptop, Windows 10. For the life of me, can't locate the program to install the Finance::Quote.  Not seeing it in the Start Menu under the GnuCash Group.

Can someone point me to the name of the program in question?

Thanks...  Steve

"Windows requires perl to be installed already. If you haven’t done so, you should first install ActivePerl, or more recently, Strawberry Perl.

The Windows installer from the GnuCash home page comes with a small helper program to install Finance::Quote for you. You can find it in the Start Menu under the GnuCash group and is called “Install Online Price Retrieval”."

Re: Where is the program to install Finance::Quote?

John Ralls-2

> On Feb 28, 2017, at 10:58 AM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just picked up a new laptop, Windows 10. For the life of me, can't locate the
> program to install the Finance::Quote.  Not seeing it in the Start Menu
> under the GnuCash Group.
>
> Can someone point me to the name of the program in question?
>
> Thanks...  Steve

> "Windows requires perl to be installed already. If you haven’t done so, you
> should first install ActivePerl, or more recently, Strawberry Perl.
>
> The Windows installer from the GnuCash home page comes with a small helper
> program to install Finance::Quote for you. You can find it in the Start Menu
> under the GnuCash group and is called “Install Online Price Retrieval”."

It's "Install Online Price Retrieval" just like the note above says. Windows 8 (and therefore 10) got rid of the grouped menus, so the easiest way to get it is to click the window button on the left end of the task bar and start typing "Install Online Price Retrieval" at it. It'll show up on the menu after 3 or 4 keystrokes.

Re: Where is the program to install Finance::Quote?

Dave H
Hi Steve,
On Windows 10 Enterprise that's exactly where it is :-)  Did you click the
"All Apps" near the top left just below the "Pinned tiles" icon (3 down on
my pc) or are you just displaying the items you've pinned to the Start Menu
yourself ?

Cheers Dave H.

On 1 March 2017 at 04:58, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just picked up a new laptop, Windows 10. For the life of me, can't locate
> the
> program to install the Finance::Quote.  Not seeing it in the Start Menu
> under the GnuCash Group.
>
> Can someone point me to the name of the program in question?
>
> Thanks...  Steve

> "Windows requires perl to be installed already. If you haven’t done so, you
> should first install ActivePerl, or more recently, Strawberry Perl.
>
> The Windows installer from the GnuCash home page comes with a small helper
> program to install Finance::Quote for you. You can find it in the Start
> Menu
> under the GnuCash group and is called “Install Online Price Retrieval”."

Re: Where is the program to install Finance::Quote?

Dave H
No the Grouped Menus are back in Windows 10 - you just need to click the
"All Apps" icon to display them.

Cheers Dave H.

On 1 March 2017 at 07:41, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Feb 28, 2017, at 10:58 AM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Just picked up a new laptop, Windows 10. For the life of me, can't
> locate the
> > program to install the Finance::Quote.  Not seeing it in the Start Menu
> > under the GnuCash Group.
> >
> > Can someone point me to the name of the program in question?
> >
> > Thanks...  Steve

> > "Windows requires perl to be installed already. If you haven’t done so,
> you
> > should first install ActivePerl, or more recently, Strawberry Perl.
> >
> > The Windows installer from the GnuCash home page comes with a small
> helper
> > program to install Finance::Quote for you. You can find it in the Start
> Menu
> > under the GnuCash group and is called “Install Online Price Retrieval”."
>
> It's "Install Online Price Retrieval" just like the note above says.
> Windows 8 (and therefore 10) got rid of the grouped menus, so the easiest
> way to get it is to click the window button on the left end of the task bar
> and start typing "Install Online Price Retrieval" at it. It'll show up on
> the menu after 3 or 4 keystrokes.

Re: Where is the program to install Finance::Quote?

randix
1. Did a search for "install online price retrieval" on my laptop, and NO hits showed up on my computer.

2. Could not find the "all apps" folder you referenced; btw, I'm using Windows 10 home version, not enterprise

3. I did look in programs in the gnucash folder using explorer, but didn't see it in any of the sub-folders

4. I tried re-installing gnucash thinking for some reason when i did the original download it didn't get included.  same situation

5. Finally, I've downloaded the finance module by itself from source forge.  Don't see any application type programs in the various files...where am I suppose to place it, eg where is it suppose to be under what folder or sub-folder (or does it matter), and without any application files, how am i suppose to install it, or if it's just "placed" in the right place, is that enuf for gnucash quotes?

6. If i just go and look for strawberry perl and download/install that, will that work in lieu?

Sigh...

Re: Where is the program to install Finance::Quote?

Fross, Michael
I believe you are looking for:

c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin\install-fq-mods.cmd

At least that is where it's located on my machine.

Michael

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. Did a search for "install online price retrieval" on my laptop, and NO
> hits showed up on my computer.
>
> 2. Could not find the "all apps" folder you referenced; btw, I'm using
> Windows 10 home version, not enterprise
>
> 3. I did look in programs in the gnucash folder using explorer, but didn't
> see it in any of the sub-folders
>
> 4. I tried re-installing gnucash thinking for some reason when i did the
> original download it didn't get included.  same situation
>
> 5. Finally, I've downloaded the finance module by itself from source forge.
> Don't see any application type programs in the various files...where am I
> suppose to place it, eg where is it suppose to be under what folder or
> sub-folder (or does it matter), and without any application files, how am i
> suppose to install it, or if it's just "placed" in the right place, is that
> enuf for gnucash quotes?
>
> 6. If i just go and look for strawberry perl and download/install that,
> will
> that work in lieu?
>
> Sigh...

Re: Where is the program to install Finance::Quote?

randix
Michael... thank you!  That's exactly what I needed.  Found it immediately.

You're on my Christmas list!!!

kr

Re: Where is the program to install Finance::Quote?

kr
I have been trying to install this program, but without success. I am on Windows 10. This is the error message I get:
------------------
* Install required perl modules

Database was generated on Wed, 01 Mar 2017 14:21:26 GMT

Running install for module 'Date::Manip'
Running make for S/SB/SBECK/Date-Manip-6.57.tar.gz
Checksum for C:\strawberry\cpan\sources\authors\id\S\SB\SBECK\Date-Manip-6.57.tar.gz ok
Couldn't move C:\strawberry\cpan\build\tmp-18152\Date-Manip-6.57\lib to C:\strawberry\cpan\build\Date-Manip-6.57-sz4VxL\lib: No such file or directory at C:\strawberry\perl\lib/CPAN/Distribution.pm line 528.
        CPAN::Distribution::run_preps_on_packagedir(CPAN::Distribution=HASH(0x3ac16d4)) called at C:\strawberry\perl\lib/CPAN/Distribution.pm line 355
        CPAN::Distribution::get(CPAN::Distribution=HASH(0x3ac16d4)) called at C:\strawberry\perl\lib/CPAN/Distribution.pm line 1760
        CPAN::Distribution::make(CPAN::Distribution=HASH(0x3ac16d4)) called at C:\strawberry\perl\lib/CPAN/Distribution.pm line 3088
        CPAN::Distribution::test(CPAN::Distribution=HASH(0x3ac16d4)) called at C:\strawberry\perl\lib/CPAN/Distribution.pm line 3480
        CPAN::Distribution::install(CPAN::Distribution=HASH(0x3ac16d4)) called at C:\strawberry\perl\lib/CPAN/Module.pm line 479
        eval {...} called at C:\strawberry\perl\lib/CPAN/Module.pm line 478
        CPAN::Module::rematein(CPAN::Module=HASH(0x3ac126c), "install") called at C:\strawberry\perl\lib/CPAN/Module.pm line 578
        CPAN::Module::install(CPAN::Module=HASH(0x3ac126c)) called at C:\strawberry\perl\lib/CPAN/Shell.pm line 1797
        CPAN::Shell::rematein("CPAN::Shell", "install", "Date::Manip") called at C:\strawberry\perl\lib/CPAN/Shell.pm line 1977
        CPAN::Shell::__ANON__("CPAN::Shell", "Date::Manip") called at gnc-fq-update line 39

An error occurred, see above.

Press any key to continue . . .
All of the files mentioned above are on my system yet the error occures. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
kr

Re: Where is the program to install Finance::Quote?

kr
Update. Did some more research. Turned off McAfee. Program installed correctly.

Re: Where is the program to install Finance::Quote?

ChrisGood