What version of G2 am I running?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What version of G2 am I running?

Tim Wunder (Lists)
I updated from SVN last night
$ svn info|grep Revision
Revision: 11939

configured it with
$ ./configure --enable-error-on-warning --enable-compile-warnings
--prefix=/opt/gnucash --enable-maintainer-mode        

Installed it with
$ sudo make install

And I seem to have an updated gnucash:
$ ll /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 156 Nov 14 23:14 /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash

But when I run
$ /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
The splash screen tells me the program was "built 2005-11-02"

Which is it?

Thanks,
Tim


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What version of G2 am I running?

Derek Atkins
I cannot reproduce this behavior here.  Every time I rebuild
gnucash it rebuilds the gnc-version.h header and shows me
the current revision and build-date.  I just tested this
with a tree I had last touched yesterday.  It /had/ been telling
me it was r11931 built on Nov 14th.  Now it tells me it's r11931
built on Nov 15th.  So, it appears to be working just fine for
me.

Question: Are you running "make all" before "make install"?  Or do you
run "make install" directly?  Not that this should make a huge
difference, but I'm just wondering in order to try to help you track
down the issue.

-derek

Tim Wunder <[hidden email]> writes:

> I updated from SVN last night
> $ svn info|grep Revision
> Revision: 11939
>
> configured it with
> $ ./configure --enable-error-on-warning --enable-compile-warnings
> --prefix=/opt/gnucash --enable-maintainer-mode        
>
> Installed it with
> $ sudo make install
>
> And I seem to have an updated gnucash:
> $ ll /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 156 Nov 14 23:14 /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
>
> But when I run
> $ /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
> The splash screen tells me the program was "built 2005-11-02"
>
> Which is it?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What version of G2 am I running?

Tim Wunder (Lists)
I run autogen.sh/configure/make/make install
I do not run "make all" at any time. Should I?

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 2:07 pm, someone claiming to be Derek Atkins
wrote:

> I cannot reproduce this behavior here.  Every time I rebuild
> gnucash it rebuilds the gnc-version.h header and shows me
> the current revision and build-date.  I just tested this
> with a tree I had last touched yesterday.  It /had/ been telling
> me it was r11931 built on Nov 14th.  Now it tells me it's r11931
> built on Nov 15th.  So, it appears to be working just fine for
> me.
>
> Question: Are you running "make all" before "make install"?  Or do you
> run "make install" directly?  Not that this should make a huge
> difference, but I'm just wondering in order to try to help you track
> down the issue.
>
> -derek
>
> Tim Wunder <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I updated from SVN last night
> > $ svn info|grep Revision
> > Revision: 11939
> >
> > configured it with
> > $ ./configure --enable-error-on-warning --enable-compile-warnings
> > --prefix=/opt/gnucash --enable-maintainer-mode
> >
> > Installed it with
> > $ sudo make install
> >
> > And I seem to have an updated gnucash:
> > $ ll /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
> > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 156 Nov 14 23:14 /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
> >
> > But when I run
> > $ /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash
> > The splash screen tells me the program was "built 2005-11-02"
> >
> > Which is it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tim

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What version of G2 am I running?

Neil Williams-2
On Tuesday 15 November 2005 7:21 pm, Tim Wunder wrote:
> I run autogen.sh/configure/make/make install
> I do not run "make all" at any time. Should I?

I came across this problem. There's a stage missing in your script, Tim - make
sure you run make distclean before repeating a build in the same tree:

#!/bin/bash
cd <path>
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-opt-style-install --prefix=<path2> --<other options>
make distclean
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-opt-style-install --prefix=<path2> --<other options>
make
make install

The first autogen.sh and configure are there in case you've got an incomplete
last build or altered build scripts where make distclean would end
prematurely.

One other point. Why do you run 'sudo make install' to an /opt/ location?

root permission is only needed to make install into privileged system folders
like /usr/bin and /usr/lib etc.

I've added various checks into my own script that halts the script at
appropriate points rather than blindly trying to carry on:

(Note how I also remove the entire install directory each build.)
(libqof1 is installed as a normal Debian package)

#!/bin/bash
echo "Building SVN gnucash HEAD with libqof1 into /opt/garfield/gnucash2."
rm -rf /opt/garfield/gnucash2/
cd /opt/svn/gnucash/
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-sql --enable-doxygen --enable-opt-style-install \
 --prefix=/opt/garfield/gnucash2
make distclean
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-sql --enable-doxygen --enable-opt-style-install \
 --prefix=/opt/garfield/gnucash2
result=$?
case "$result" in
        0)
        make
        ;;
        *)
        exit
        ;;
esac
result=$?
case "$result" in
        0)
        make check
        make install
        ;;
        *)
        exit
        ;;
esac
make dist

Once make check is fixed, I'll add another conditional so that make install
isn't run unless make check passes. Then I'll change make dist to make
distclean (as long as make install succeeds) which gets us close to a usable
distribution tarball.

--

Neil Williams
=============
http://www.data-freedom.org/
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What version of G2 am I running?

Derek Atkins
Quoting Neil Williams <[hidden email]>:

> On Tuesday 15 November 2005 7:21 pm, Tim Wunder wrote:
>> I run autogen.sh/configure/make/make install
>> I do not run "make all" at any time. Should I?
>
> I came across this problem. There's a stage missing in your script,
> Tim - make
> sure you run make distclean before repeating a build in the same tree:

I rarely run distclean.  It's not usually required.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What version of G2 am I running?

Tim Wunder (Lists)
On Tuesday 15 November 2005 4:09 pm, someone claiming to be Derek Atkins
wrote:

> Quoting Neil Williams <[hidden email]>:
> > On Tuesday 15 November 2005 7:21 pm, Tim Wunder wrote:
> >> I run autogen.sh/configure/make/make install
> >> I do not run "make all" at any time. Should I?
> >
> > I came across this problem. There's a stage missing in your script,
> > Tim - make
> > sure you run make distclean before repeating a build in the same tree:
>
> I rarely run distclean.  It's not usually required.
>
Well, whatever it was that was wrong with my build, running make distclean
seems to have fixed it. It was either that or installing it as a normal user
rather than sudo'd...

Regards,
Tim

--
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4
KDE: 3.4.3-1.1.fc4.kde, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2
 23:00:05 up 14 days,  3:10,  3 users,  load average: 0.89, 0.73, 0.80
MP3/OGG archive Total playlength : 7 days, 10 hours, 31 mins 30 seconds
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" John Wooden

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What version of G2 am I running?

Christian Stimming
In reply to this post by Derek Atkins
Derek Atkins schrieb:
> Quoting Neil Williams <[hidden email]>:
>>> I run autogen.sh/configure/make/make install
>>
>> I came across this problem. There's a stage missing in your script,
>> Tim - make
>> sure you run make distclean before repeating a build in the same tree:
>
> I rarely run distclean.  It's not usually required.

I haven't used distclean for months as well and still all runs fine. It
might have been required when we still had AM_MAINTAINER_MODE in
configure and someone was calling ./configure without
--enable-maintainer-mode. In that case, it is now no longer required as
we don't have the maintainer-mode argument anymore.

Christian
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel