Virtual accounts or line items

Jon Schewe
I've got a question about using virtual accounts along with QFX imports.

I found this thread about using virtual accounts to do budgeting:
http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Virtual-accounts-td1421283.html

I rather like how it works from the perspective that I know how much money
is available in my checking account for things that I haven't budgeted.
This also works well when reconciling against my statement as I can check
the box to include sub-accounts and everything balances.

However when I import a QFX file, the importer will only look at the top
level account for transactions. This means that I need to manually clear
the transactions in the sub-accounts.

My wife uses Quickbooks at work and says there is a view that works for her
for this. She can create these virtual sub-accounts and see their
individual transactions, however when she looks at the top-level account
she sees all transactions for the top account and the sub-accounts.

Is there a way to do this in GnuCash?

Thanks,

- Jon

--
http://mtu.net/~jpschewe

Re: Virtual accounts or line items

David Carlson-4
What I do is keep two register views open on the 'parent' account, one
'with sub-accounts' which shows the totals as seen by the bank and one
normal register view which shows the amount not dedicated to the 'virtual'
sub-account(s).

As suggested in the thread that you cited, I do not tell the bank anything
about the 'virtual' sub-account(s) transactions, so they will never appear
in an imported transaction list and thus they are never 'cleared' via the
import.  While it is not required to have a register view open during an
import, I always do, because I have a lot of cases where the import process
makes matching mistakes or incorrect transfer account assignments if I do
not monitor it.

In any case, my reconciliation is intended to verify transactions with the
bank, and it still works correctly in the 'with sub-accounts' register
view.  The 'Include Sub-Accounts option is not required.  I then look in
the 'virtual' sub-account(s) register(s) and I can reconcile them
separately.  For those accounts the reconciliation only tells me that I am
satisfied with those transactions.

As for budgeting, I do not use that feature, so I cannot comment.

David C

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Jon Schewe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've got a question about using virtual accounts along with QFX imports.
>
> I found this thread about using virtual accounts to do budgeting:
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Virtual-accounts-td1421283.html
>
> I rather like how it works from the perspective that I know how much money
> is available in my checking account for things that I haven't budgeted.
> This also works well when reconciling against my statement as I can check
> the box to include sub-accounts and everything balances.
>
> However when I import a QFX file, the importer will only look at the top
> level account for transactions. This means that I need to manually clear
> the transactions in the sub-accounts.
>
> My wife uses Quickbooks at work and says there is a view that works for her
> for this. She can create these virtual sub-accounts and see their
> individual transactions, however when she looks at the top-level account
> she sees all transactions for the top account and the sub-accounts.
>
> Is there a way to do this in GnuCash?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Jon
>
> --
> http://mtu.net/~jpschewe

Re: Virtual accounts or line items

Jon Schewe
Ideally what I would like would be for some "real" transactions to
reference the parent account and some to reference the virtual account.
Then when importing the QFX the import process would look in the parent
account and the sub-accounts.

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 6:15 PM, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What I do is keep two register views open on the 'parent' account, one
> 'with sub-accounts' which shows the totals as seen by the bank and one
> normal register view which shows the amount not dedicated to the 'virtual'
> sub-account(s).
>
> As suggested in the thread that you cited, I do not tell the bank anything
> about the 'virtual' sub-account(s) transactions, so they will never appear
> in an imported transaction list and thus they are never 'cleared' via the
> import.  While it is not required to have a register view open during an
> import, I always do, because I have a lot of cases where the import process
> makes matching mistakes or incorrect transfer account assignments if I do
> not monitor it.
>
> In any case, my reconciliation is intended to verify transactions with the
> bank, and it still works correctly in the 'with sub-accounts' register
> view.  The 'Include Sub-Accounts option is not required.  I then look in
> the 'virtual' sub-account(s) register(s) and I can reconcile them
> separately.  For those accounts the reconciliation only tells me that I am
> satisfied with those transactions.
>
> As for budgeting, I do not use that feature, so I cannot comment.
>
> David C
>
> On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Jon Schewe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've got a question about using virtual accounts along with QFX imports.
>>
>> I found this thread about using virtual accounts to do budgeting:
>> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Virtual-accounts-td1421283.html
>>
>> I rather like how it works from the perspective that I know how much money
>> is available in my checking account for things that I haven't budgeted.
>> This also works well when reconciling against my statement as I can check
>> the box to include sub-accounts and everything balances.
>>
>> However when I import a QFX file, the importer will only look at the top
>> level account for transactions. This means that I need to manually clear
>> the transactions in the sub-accounts.
>>
>> My wife uses Quickbooks at work and says there is a view that works for
>> her
>> for this. She can create these virtual sub-accounts and see their
>> individual transactions, however when she looks at the top-level account
>> she sees all transactions for the top account and the sub-accounts.
>>
>> Is there a way to do this in GnuCash?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Jon
>>
>> --
>> http://mtu.net/~jpschewe

http://mtu.net/~jpschewe

Re: Virtual accounts or line items

David Carlson-4
My bank does permit the customer to assign a 'category' to a transaction,
somewhat like some credit cards do.  I have no idea if that info would be
included in a OFX export.

David C