UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

Ngewi Fet
Hello all,
I would like to integrate UserVoice for support and feedback into the
GnuCash Android app. UserVoice has an SDK for integration into apps and it
would greatly benefit the provision of support and feedback in the app.

I read on some old mailing list emails that GnuCash has a full subscription
for UserVoice.

Can we integrate it into the Android app, and who can provide me access to
UserVoice?

Regards,
Ngewi F.

Re: UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

John Ralls-2

> On Sep 14, 2015, at 10:30 AM, Ngewi Fet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
> I would like to integrate UserVoice for support and feedback into the
> GnuCash Android app. UserVoice has an SDK for integration into apps and it
> would greatly benefit the provision of support and feedback in the app.
>
> I read on some old mailing list emails that GnuCash has a full subscription
> for UserVoice.
>
> Can we integrate it into the Android app, and who can provide me access to
> UserVoice?

GnuCash uses UserVoice to collect enhancement requests, all of which to date apply to GnuCash itself. We don’t use it for support. It’s not clear to me that we can create a separate section for GfA, so does it really make sense to integrate that into GfA? Wouldn’t it be better to have a separate GfA UserVoice account, particularly if you want to use it for support and bug tracking?

As for access, I think only Christian Stimming can do that.

Re: UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

Ngewi Fet

> Ngewi,
>
> Please remember to copy the list. Others might have useful input.

oh, sorry, will check in the future. My email client usually does it
automatically.

> I don’t see an obvious way to create a separate product under GnuCash’s
> account, but it’s quite possible that I don’t have the necessary privs.
>
> As you’re well aware GnuCash has a long history of providing support via
> the mailing lists where we’ve established an active community andod using
> Gnome Bugzilla for bug tracking. It would be silly to start over on UV, and
> I wouldn’t want to create an impression among some users that it was an
> acceptable source of support. Absent the ability to create a separate
> presence that’s clearly for GfA and not GC I wouldn’t want to enable those
> capabilities for GfA.

I am in complete agreement with you on this. I wasn't suggesting that
GnuCash migrate over to UserVoice all of a sudden. It already has an
established mailing list and bug tracker that work fine.
I was thinking about something separate, which is clearly for GnuCash
Android. I wouldn't want there to be any confusion there.

> I don’t remember Christian ever asking for money from the tip jar to pay
> for the UV subscription, but perhaps he set that up directly with Derek or
> Geert. If not he’s paying for it out of pocket. In any case he’s the only
> “owner” for the UV project and the only one who can even add you as an
> admin. (Another reason to copy the list. Christian does seem to monitor it
> even though he seldom posts.)

Ok, I kinda assumed that it was sponsored by the project and so the Android
app could be easily added. If this is not the case, then I hope to find out
more from Christian.

> I see that you’re using the Github issue tracker. Is that not working out
> for you to the extent that you thing UV would be better? As for the FAQ,
> you have a wiki enabled on Github but haven’t actually put any content into
> it.

GitHub issues are working out alright actually (so far), and I do not
intend to replace it with UV. I enabled the wiki so as to add some stuff to
it, but I realized that when viewed on a mobile device, the GitHub wiki is
not mobile browser friendly (or maybe I just didn't figure out how to
configure it). I would like a solution which can be well integrated into a
mobile app.
For this reason, I also started a GitHub pages site
<http://codinguser.github.io/gnucash-android/> to do some user
documentation (work in progress) that can be integrated into the app at
some point in the future, meanwhile the wiki can be used for developer
documentation.

> Would you do better with UV? In fact the only documentation I see on your
> Github project is the README, no mention even of a mailing list. Are people
> mailing to you directly?

There is a core dev mailing list and Trello board (since beginning of the
project) but this is currently limited to contributors for planning and
roadmap discussions. But these are not publicly accessible.

So far, users just emailed feedback to the app email address which is
forwarded to me and I respond. As the number of users grow, of course this
becomes unsustainable.
I tried out the UserVoice sample app
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uservoice.helpcenter>
and I found it a good way to have a well integrated help section in the
app. Common topics can be added to the FAQ and popular ones rise to the
top.
Also, there are many issues which users would report directly through the
app, but would not do so if they had to sign up to some bug tracker and
post it. So the integrated workflow helps with getting feedback.

Of course if using UV is not possible, I will create a mailing list and
include an email link in the app as a backup solution.
I was just thinking that there might be a better way with UserVoice.

Regards,
Ngewi F.

Re: UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

Christian Stimming-4
Hi Ngewi, indeed I have the admin rights for the uservoice presence. We don't have to pay - at the time, I asked for an upgrade and they granted it to us as free software for free.

I think uservoice is a very good service if you (or gnucash) really wants to be more user accessible . The presentation of information is much more user suited, unlike traditional mailing lists or such. Hence, I would greatly appreciate if you can make good use of this, too. I'll add you with admin rights as soon as I get around some PC, which might take another day or so.

Best regards, Christian

Am 14. September 2015 19:30:22 MESZ, schrieb Ngewi Fet <[hidden email]>:

>Hello all,
>I would like to integrate UserVoice for support and feedback into the
>GnuCash Android app. UserVoice has an SDK for integration into apps and
>it
>would greatly benefit the provision of support and feedback in the app.
>
>I read on some old mailing list emails that GnuCash has a full
>subscription
>for UserVoice.
>
>Can we integrate it into the Android app, and who can provide me access
>UserVoice?
>
>Regards,
>Ngewi F.

Re: UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

Ngewi Fet
Thanks Christian!

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Christian Stimming (mobil) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ngewi, indeed I have the admin rights for the uservoice presence. We
> don't have to pay - at the time, I asked for an upgrade and they granted it
> to us as free software for free.
>
> I think uservoice is a very good service if you (or gnucash) really wants
> to be more user accessible . The presentation of information is much more
> user suited, unlike traditional mailing lists or such. Hence, I would
> greatly appreciate if you can make good use of this, too. I'll add you with
> admin rights as soon as I get around some PC, which might take another day
> or so.
>
> Best regards, Christian
>
> Am 14. September 2015 19:30:22 MESZ, schrieb Ngewi Fet <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello all,
>> I would like to integrate UserVoice for support and feedback into the
>> GnuCash Android app. UserVoice has an SDK for integration into apps and it
>> would greatly benefit the provision of support and feedback in the app.
>>
>> I read on some old mailing list emails that GnuCash has a full subscription
>> for UserVoice.
>>
>> Can we integrate it into the Android app, and who can provide me access to
>> UserVoice?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ngewi F.

> Sent from mobile.

Re: UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

Ngewi Fet
Hi all,
I have had a quick look at the UserVoice setup.

@John, I think it is possible to manage both GnuCash and GncA under the
same account with the use of Forums.

Right now there is just one default forum, but we could easily add another
for GnuCash Android (and rename the existing one to be specific to desktop).
There are also separate article/knowledge base topics and we could add one
for GnuCash Android.

Another point is that I expect most of the GnuCash Android UV interaction
to come through the app itself (not the website).
The SDK integration allows to already specify which forum and topic it
should default to, so feedback would come in already properly categorized.

So if we are in agreement, I will go ahead and integrate it in the app and
create the new forum and topic category on the UV site.

Regards,
Ngewi

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Ngewi Fet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Christian!
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Christian Stimming (mobil) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ngewi, indeed I have the admin rights for the uservoice presence. We
>> don't have to pay - at the time, I asked for an upgrade and they granted it
>> to us as free software for free.
>>
>> I think uservoice is a very good service if you (or gnucash) really wants
>> to be more user accessible . The presentation of information is much more
>> user suited, unlike traditional mailing lists or such. Hence, I would
>> greatly appreciate if you can make good use of this, too. I'll add you with
>> admin rights as soon as I get around some PC, which might take another day
>> or so.
>>
>> Best regards, Christian
>>
>> Am 14. September 2015 19:30:22 MESZ, schrieb Ngewi Fet <[hidden email]
>> >:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>> I would like to integrate UserVoice for support and feedback into the
>>> GnuCash Android app. UserVoice has an SDK for integration into apps and it
>>> would greatly benefit the provision of support and feedback in the app.
>>>
>>> I read on some old mailing list emails that GnuCash has a full subscription
>>> for UserVoice.
>>>
>>> Can we integrate it into the Android app, and who can provide me access to
>>> UserVoice?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ngewi F.
>>>

>> --
>> Sent from mobile.

Re: UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

Christian Stimming-4
Hi Ngewi, yes, you can use additional forums for the android version and that should be sufficiently separate from desktop gnucash.

Additionally, feel free to experiment with the "ticket" feature there. We don't use that so far, but maybe it is useful for you.

Regards, Christian

Am 16. September 2015 10:15:39 MESZ, schrieb Ngewi Fet <[hidden email]>:

>Hi all,
>I have had a quick look at the UserVoice setup.
>
>@John, I think it is possible to manage both GnuCash and GncA under the
>same account with the use of Forums.
>
>Right now there is just one default forum, but we could easily add
>another
>for GnuCash Android (and rename the existing one to be specific to
>desktop).
>There are also separate article/knowledge base topics and we could add
>one
>for GnuCash Android.
>
>Another point is that I expect most of the GnuCash Android UV
>interaction
>to come through the app itself (not the website).
>The SDK integration allows to already specify which forum and topic it
>should default to, so feedback would come in already properly
>categorized.
>
>So if we are in agreement, I will go ahead and integrate it in the app
>and
>create the new forum and topic category on the UV site.
>
>Regards,
>Ngewi
>
>On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Ngewi Fet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Christian!
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Christian Stimming (mobil) <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ngewi, indeed I have the admin rights for the uservoice presence.
>We
>>> don't have to pay - at the time, I asked for an upgrade and they
>granted it
>>> to us as free software for free.
>>>
>>> I think uservoice is a very good service if you (or gnucash) really
>wants
>>> to be more user accessible . The presentation of information is much
>more
>>> user suited, unlike traditional mailing lists or such. Hence, I
>would
>>> greatly appreciate if you can make good use of this, too. I'll add
>you with
>>> admin rights as soon as I get around some PC, which might take
>another day
>>> or so.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Christian
>>>
>>> Am 14. September 2015 19:30:22 MESZ, schrieb Ngewi Fet
><[hidden email]

>the
>and it
>app.

>subscription

>access to

>>> --
>>> Sent from mobile.

Re: UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

Christian Stimming-4
Oh, and the "article" feature is not used at all, too. Some work was started, but nothing was ever published. Feel free to experiment with that feature for your app, too.

Regards, Christian

Am 16. September 2015 10:15:39 MESZ, schrieb Ngewi Fet <[hidden email]>:

>Hi all,
>I have had a quick look at the UserVoice setup.
>
>@John, I think it is possible to manage both GnuCash and GncA under the
>same account with the use of Forums.
>
>Right now there is just one default forum, but we could easily add
>another
>for GnuCash Android (and rename the existing one to be specific to
>desktop).
>There are also separate article/knowledge base topics and we could add
>one
>for GnuCash Android.
>
>Another point is that I expect most of the GnuCash Android UV
>interaction
>to come through the app itself (not the website).
>The SDK integration allows to already specify which forum and topic it
>should default to, so feedback would come in already properly
>categorized.
>
>So if we are in agreement, I will go ahead and integrate it in the app
>and
>create the new forum and topic category on the UV site.
>
>Regards,
>Ngewi
>
>On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Ngewi Fet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Christian!
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Christian Stimming (mobil) <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ngewi, indeed I have the admin rights for the uservoice presence.
>We
>>> don't have to pay - at the time, I asked for an upgrade and they
>granted it
>>> to us as free software for free.
>>>
>>> I think uservoice is a very good service if you (or gnucash) really
>wants
>>> to be more user accessible . The presentation of information is much
>more
>>> user suited, unlike traditional mailing lists or such. Hence, I
>would
>>> greatly appreciate if you can make good use of this, too. I'll add
>you with
>>> admin rights as soon as I get around some PC, which might take
>another day
>>> or so.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Christian
>>>
>>> Am 14. September 2015 19:30:22 MESZ, schrieb Ngewi Fet
><[hidden email]

>the
>and it
>app.

>subscription

>access to

>>> --
>>> Sent from mobile.

Re: UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

Ngewi Fet
Hi Christian,
Would it be possible to add some of the other Android app core devs to
UserVoice.
It would be of great help to have them contributing there too with
Let me know and I can send you the email addresses.

Regards,
Ngewi

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Christian Stimming (mobil) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, and the "article" feature is not used at all, too. Some work was
> started, but nothing was ever published. Feel free to experiment with that
> feature for your app, too.
>
> Regards, Christian
>
> Am 16. September 2015 10:15:39 MESZ, schrieb Ngewi Fet <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I have had a quick look at the UserVoice setup.
>>
>> @John, I think it is possible to manage both GnuCash and GncA under the
>> same account with the use of Forums.
>>
>> Right now there is just one default forum, but we could easily add another
>> for GnuCash Android (and rename the existing one to be specific to desktop).
>> There are also separate article/knowledge base topics and we could add one
>> for GnuCash Android.
>>
>> Another point is that I expect most of the GnuCash Android UV interaction
>> to come through the app itself (not the website).
>> The SDK integration allows to already specify which forum and topic it
>> should default to, so feedback would come in already properly categorized.
>>
>> So if we are in agreement, I will go ahead and integrate it in the app and
>> create the new forum and topic category on the UV site.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ngewi
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at !
>>  9:39 AM,
>> Ngewi Fet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Thanks Christian!
>>>
>>>  On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Christian Stimming (mobil) <
>>>  [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi Ngewi, indeed I have the admin rights for the uservoice presence. We

> Sent from mobile.

Re: UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

Christian Stimming-4
Hi ngewi, sure,  this can of course be done. I will give you admin rights so that you can add them yourself.

Regards, Christian

--
Sent from mobile.

Re: UserVoice integration in GnuCash Android

Ngewi Fet
Thanks!