Upgrading gc on an ubuntu desktop

John R. Sowden
I have decided to give gc another chance.  I noticed that the copy I
have on my desktop is dated April, 2016.  I checked and found that this
is the "current version" per ubuntu, so to get a version that is a year
newer, I must go elsewhere.  I went to google and searched for words
like gnucash ubuntu upgrade ppa.  Separately and in groups.  Nothing.  I
checked emails from the gc mail list that I saved that I thought might
be of interest, no luck.

Is this an "only install a new copy over the old copy", and if so where
do I find the instruction to do it properly, or something else.  I have
a data file with my complete chart of accounts, and a few transactions
that I entered to understand how payroll, multi-account spreads
("splits") works, etc.  I can save it externally but I want to integrate
that into the new version of gc.  My ubuntu is 16.04 lts.

john

Re: Upgrading gc on an ubuntu desktop

tjoen
On Sun, 2017-04-30 at 21:43 -0700, John R. Sowden wrote:
> I have decided to give gc another chance.  I noticed that the copy I
> have on my desktop is dated April, 2016.  I checked and found that
> this
> is the "current version" per ubuntu, so to get a version that is a
> year
> newer, I must go elsewhere.

U7.04 has 2.6.15
To get the current 2.6.16 you have to build it yourself

> Is this an "only install a new copy over the old copy", and if so
> where
> do I find the instruction to do it properly, or something else.

A package manager replaces the old one.
If you build it yourself it is savest to install in /usr/local/

Re: Upgrading gc on an ubuntu desktop

Colin Law
On 1 May 2017 at 05:43, John R. Sowden <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have decided to give gc another chance.  I noticed that the copy I have on
> my desktop is dated April, 2016.  I checked and found that this is the
> "current version" per ubuntu, so to get a version that is a year newer, I
> must go elsewhere.  I went to google and searched for words like gnucash
> ubuntu upgrade ppa.  Separately and in groups.  Nothing.  I checked emails
> from the gc mail list that I saved that I thought might be of interest, no
> luck.

The getdeb repository usually has the latest after only a short delay.

Colin

Re: Upgrading gc on an ubuntu desktop

Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Perhaps you can try installing it from Guix. I have been using it myself
in my copy of Trisquel 7 (based on Ubuntu 14.04 that, differently from
Ubuntu, it's free/libre, as in freedom, not price) and I so far have no
problems.

If you want some help on how to install Guix, you have various options:

- Follow the installation guide (and every link it tells you to look
  into):
  [[http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Installation.html#Installation]].

  - If you get stuck, ask around on IRC: [[irc://chat.freenode.net/#guix]].

  - Contact me directly.

- Ask, or pay, other people to install Guix for you.

  - People on the Guix mailing list, IRC, or even I, can offer the
    service. Most of the times, we do this gratis.

For transparency purposes, here is the list of packages in Guix that
start with G letter (look for "gnucash" there):
[[http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/g.html]]. This also has a
link to the corresponding Guix package recipe.

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com

Re: Upgrading gc on an ubuntu desktop

I'm running 2.6.15 on Ubuntu 17.04. I think I just downloaded the debian archive from https://packages.debian.org/sid/gnucash and let the Ubuntu Software Center install it.I only download the source when I need to tweak something. It doesn't take long to build (on my 16 GB 12-core and 4-core machines).  This is an unstable release but the same site has stable releases, as well.I don't worry about the database. It's never lost integrity as I've upgraded GC (I use the MySQL backend, but have used the default XML thing in the past).
- Art

On Sunday, April 30, 2017, 10:48:51 PM PDT, John R. Sowden <[hidden email]> wrote:I have decided to give gc another chance.  I noticed that the copy I

On 1 May 2017 at 15:09, Art via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm running 2.6.15 on Ubuntu 17.04. I think I just downloaded the debian archive from https://packages.debian.org/sid/gnucash and let the Ubuntu Software Center install it.

2.6.15 is the default on Ubuntu 17.04, so just running
sudo apt install gnucash
will install that version (or installing it from the s/w centre).

Colin

Re: Upgrading gc on an ubuntu desktop

Plutocrat
[hidden email] wrote on Tuesday, 02 May, 2017 12:00 AM:
> 2.6.15 is the default on Ubuntu 17.04, so just running
> sudo apt install gnucash
> will install that version (or installing it from the s/w centre).

If you want a later version, try using the getdeb repository. Once you've added the repository, apt will take care of upgrading everything and maintaining consistency. Releases are usually reflected in getdeb after a week or two. No need for compiling, or changing your distribution.

http://www.getdeb.net/app/Gnucash
http://www.getdeb.net/updates/Ubuntu/16.04#how_to_install

P.