Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

12

Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

sdrach
I've been using GnuCash for several years.  Just this week, the message in the subject line started showing up when I get quotes using the price editor.  I've looked as well as I can for the the problem but I can't find it -- I have hundreds of securities and bringing up the edit page for each one of them will take forever.  Does anyone have an idea about what I can do to rid myself of this annoying message?  I'm using GnuCash 2.4.7 configured to use the database on Mac OS/X 10.7.2.

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

John Ralls-2

On Feb 3, 2012, at 7:56 AM, Steve Drach wrote:

> I've been using GnuCash for several years.  Just this week, the message in the subject line started showing up when I get quotes using the price editor.  I've looked as well as I can for the the problem but I can't find it -- I have hundreds of securities and bringing up the edit page for each one of them will take forever.  Does anyone have an idea about what I can do to rid myself of this annoying message?  I'm using GnuCash 2.4.7 configured to use the database on Mac OS/X 10.7.2.

Have a look at the settings for CURRENCY EUR in the securities editor. ;-)

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

sdrach
I didn't have national currencies turned on in securities editor.  Doing that, then finding EUR in the list, I was able to turn online quotes off.  Thanks.

P.S. As a bonus, I upgraded to 2.4.9.

On Feb 3, 2012, at 7:14 AM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2012, at 7:56 AM, Steve Drach wrote:
>
>> I've been using GnuCash for several years.  Just this week, the message in the subject line started showing up when I get quotes using the price editor.  I've looked as well as I can for the the problem but I can't find it -- I have hundreds of securities and bringing up the edit page for each one of them will take forever.  Does anyone have an idea about what I can do to rid myself of this annoying message?  I'm using GnuCash 2.4.7 configured to use the database on Mac OS/X 10.7.2.
>
> Have a look at the settings for CURRENCY EUR in the securities editor. ;-)

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

David Reiser
It looks like finance-quote is having troubles with all currencies today -- which suggests yahoo has done something again. Last time we had a disruption, it went away in a day. We'll see.
--
David Reiser
[hidden email]

On Feb 3, 2012, at 10:28 AM, Steve Drach wrote:

> I didn't have national currencies turned on in securities editor.  Doing that, then finding EUR in the list, I was able to turn online quotes off.  Thanks.
>
> P.S. As a bonus, I upgraded to 2.4.9.
>
> On Feb 3, 2012, at 7:14 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>

>> On Feb 3, 2012, at 7:56 AM, Steve Drach wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using GnuCash for several years.  Just this week, the message in the subject line started showing up when I get quotes using the price editor.  I've looked as well as I can for the the problem but I can't find it -- I have hundreds of securities and bringing up the edit page for each one of them will take forever.  Does anyone have an idea about what I can do to rid myself of this annoying message?  I'm using GnuCash 2.4.7 configured to use the database on Mac OS/X 10.7.2.
>>
>> Have a look at the settings for CURRENCY EUR in the securities editor. ;-)
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

Mike Alexander
--On February 3, 2012 11:54:34 AM -0500 David Reiser
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like finance-quote is having troubles with all currencies
> today -- which suggests yahoo has done something again. Last time we
> had a disruption, it went away in a day. We'll see.

Yahoo changed their website and since finance quote works by screen
scraping it any change is likely to break it.  Actually finance quote
uses two different URLs to get currency quotes.  One of them changed
several months ago and it fell back to the other.  That one changed on
Feb. 1 so it didn't work either.

I've attached a zip file that contains two patches.  The first one
fixes both of these URLs to work again.  The second is an unrelated
change that makes very small exchange rates work better.  For example
the KRW to USD exchange rate was 1 krw = 0.0009 usd before the change
and it's 1 krw = 0.00089656 usd after.

I've submitted these to the finance quote site, but I doubt much will
happen with them.  Other patches submitted over a year ago have never
been applied to the repository and there hasn't been a new version in
over two years.

           Mike

currency.zip (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

yggdrasil
Mike Alexander <[hidden email]> writes:

> --On February 3, 2012 11:54:34 AM -0500 David Reiser
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It looks like finance-quote is having troubles with all currencies
>> today -- which suggests yahoo has done something again.
>
> I've attached a zip file that contains two patches.

I am trying to apply these patches without success, which is probably
because I am doing it wrong, any guidance please?

I am on Fedora 16 and have located the target perl file (I think) as

,----
| /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Finance/Quote.pm
`----

I try to apply the patch by doing

,----
| patch /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Finance/Quote.pm -i currency2.diff -o Quote.pm
`----

This results in

,----
| patching file /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Finance/Quote.pm
| Hunk #1 FAILED at 300.
| 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file Quote.pm.rej
`----

The reject file is attached.

(The same happens for both patches so I am surely doing something wrong here)

Thanks,

Johnny

--
Johnny

Quote.pm.rej (972 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

yggdrasil
Mike Alexander <[hidden email]> writes:

> What version of F::Q are you trying to patch?  This patch will work
> with version 1.17.  I doubt it will work with any earlier version.

Version is 1.17.

> To apply the patch cd into /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl and execute
> something like
>
>  patch -p0 < /path/to/the/patch.diff
>
> Don't try to tell patch what to patch, it will figure it out.

I tried this but it still generates the same error.

Additionally, I tried editing the file to manually apply the patch, but
this causes gnucash to not load the file at all.

I attach my F::Q below if it helps.

--
Johnny

Quote.pm (36K) Download Attachment

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

Mike Alexander
--On February 5, 2012 1:40:30 AM -0500 Mike Alexander <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> --On February 3, 2012 11:54:34 AM -0500 David Reiser
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It looks like finance-quote is having troubles with all currencies
>> today -- which suggests yahoo has done something again. Last time we
>> had a disruption, it went away in a day. We'll see.
>
> Yahoo changed their website and since finance quote works by screen
> scraping it any change is likely to break it.  Actually finance quote
> uses two different URLs to get currency quotes.  One of them changed
> several months ago and it fell back to the other.  That one changed
> on Feb. 1 so it didn't work either.
>
> I've attached a zip file that contains two patches.  The first one
> fixes both of these URLs to work again.  The second is an unrelated
> change that makes very small exchange rates work better.  For example
> the KRW to USD exchange rate was 1 krw = 0.0009 usd before the change
> and it's 1 krw = 0.00089656 usd after.
>
> I've submitted these to the finance quote site, but I doubt much will
> happen with them.  Other patches submitted over a year ago have never
> been applied to the repository and there hasn't been a new version in
> over two years.
I just realized that there is an earlier patch to Quote.pm that must be
applied before these two.  I've attached it to this message.  This
patch is so old that I thought it was already in F::Q, but it's not
even in the GIT repository yet.  It was originally produced on April
26, 2010 by Stian Soiland-Reyes and is described in a message to the
F::Q mailing list which is archived at <http://sourceforge.net/mailarc
hive/forum.php?thread_name=j2l 68db3ea71004261347lac34e2c6q5f
6dd0ef978ee782%40mail.gmail.co m&forum_name=finance-quote-dev el>.
Sorry for the confusion.  I just attached it to the bug report at
<https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=56469>.

          Mike

Quote.pm.diff.zip (2K) Download Attachment

On Feb 5, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Mike Alexander wrote:

> --On February 5, 2012 1:40:30 AM -0500 Mike Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> --On February 3, 2012 11:54:34 AM -0500 David Reiser
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like finance-quote is having troubles with all currencies
>>> today -- which suggests yahoo has done something again. Last time we
>>> had a disruption, it went away in a day. We'll see.
>>
>> Yahoo changed their website and since finance quote works by screen
>> scraping it any change is likely to break it.  Actually finance quote
>> uses two different URLs to get currency quotes.  One of them changed
>> several months ago and it fell back to the other.  That one changed
>> on Feb. 1 so it didn't work either.
>>
>> I've attached a zip file that contains two patches.  The first one
>> fixes both of these URLs to work again.  The second is an unrelated
>> change that makes very small exchange rates work better.  For example
>> the KRW to USD exchange rate was 1 krw = 0.0009 usd before the change
>> and it's 1 krw = 0.00089656 usd after.
>>
>> I've submitted these to the finance quote site, but I doubt much will
>> happen with them.  Other patches submitted over a year ago have never
>> been applied to the repository and there hasn't been a new version in
>> over two years.
>
> I just realized that there is an earlier patch to Quote.pm that must be applied before these two.  I've attached it to this message.  This patch is so old that I thought it was already in F::Q, but it's not even in the GIT repository yet.  It was originally produced on April 26, 2010 by Stian Soiland-Reyes and is described in a message to the F::Q mailing list which is archived at <http://sourceforge.net/mailarc hive/forum.php?thread_name=j2l 68db3ea71004261347lac34e2c6q5f 6dd0ef978ee782%40mail.gmail.co m&forum_name=finance-quote-dev el>. Sorry for the confusion.  I just attached it to the bug report at <https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=56469>.

The last release of FQ on CPAN was 5 years ago. While Paul Fenwick created a repo on Github sometime after that, he hasn't done a release to CPAN and hasn't pushed a commit in almost a year. Looks to me that if we want to keep using this we're going to have to take it over and either someone's got to get privs on CPAN to do releases or we've got to figure out some other way.to distribute it that the Linux distros will find acceptable.

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

yggdrasil
Mike Alexander <[hidden email]> writes:

> Sorry, you need to first apply the patch I just attached to
> <https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=56469>.  This patch is
> so old I thought it was in the current version, but it's not even in
> the GIT repository yet.  F::Q is essentially a dead project.

Thanks for the help Mike, now I have successfully patched my
Finance::Quote module!

For reference, I summarise how I got it done below.

1) I started by locating my Finance::Quote module (on Fedora 16) by
,----
| sudo find / -iname "Quote.pm"
`----
It turns out Fedora puts this in /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl.

2) I then verified that Finance::Quote is of version 1.17 by examining
the file and searching for "version".

3) The first patch to apply is the old one as Mike pointed out, attached
again here for completeness. I changed into the
/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl directory (i.e. the parent of the
Finance/Quote.pm directory as returned by find). I had to edit the patch
file to remove the initial part of the filename the patch is pointing to
as my Financ/Quote was not in the same path as specified, i.e. only
"Finance/Quote.pm" remains as filename, before applying the patch command.
,----
| patch -p0 < /path/to/the/patch/Quote.pm.diff
`----

4) Then I applied Mikes provided patches, also attached below for
completeness. I again edited the patch targets as above to correct the
target directory, and applied the same command, still in the parent
directory of "Finance/Quote.pm"
,----
| patch -p0 < /path/to/the/patch/currency1.diff
| patch -p0 < /path/to/the/patch/currency2.diff
`----

(DISCLAIMER: I haven't yet tested the patched version as I did this over
ssh without a GUI to run gnucash, but if I don't reappear it probably
works :))

--
Johnny

Quote.pm.diff.zip (2K) Download Attachment
currency.zip (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

Mike Alexander
--On February 6, 2012 8:08:28 PM +0000 Johnny <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> 3) The first patch to apply is the old one as Mike pointed out,
> attached again here for completeness. I changed into the
> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl directory (i.e. the parent of the
> Finance/Quote.pm directory as returned by find). I had to edit the
> patch file to remove the initial part of the filename the patch is
> pointing to as my Financ/Quote was not in the same path as specified,
> i.e. only "Finance/Quote.pm" remains as filename, before applying the
> patch command.
> ,----
> | patch -p0 < /path/to/the/patch/Quote.pm.diff
> `----

Instead of editing the patch you should be able to just changed the
patch command to specify -p1 instad of -p0.  Read the man page for
patch.

           Mike

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

yggdrasil
Mike Alexander <[hidden email]> writes:

> --On February 6, 2012 8:08:28 PM +0000 Johnny <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> 3) The first patch to apply is the old one as Mike pointed out,
>> attached again here for completeness. I changed into the
>> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl directory (i.e. the parent of the
>> Finance/Quote.pm directory as returned by find). I had to edit the
>> patch file to remove the initial part of the filename the patch is
>> pointing to as my Financ/Quote was not in the same path as specified,
>> i.e. only "Finance/Quote.pm" remains as filename, before applying the
>> patch command.
>> ,----
>> | patch -p0 < /path/to/the/patch/Quote.pm.diff
>> `----
>>

> Instead of editing the patch you should be able to just changed the
> patch command to specify -p1 instad of -p0.  Read the man page for
> patch.

Yup, will do! I was too eager to get it working so I just plowed ahead,
but that's a good pointer.

I have now tested the workings in Gnucash and it runs perfectly! Thanks
for the patch and help!
--
Johnny

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

Ian K
Could someone explain how to apply these patches in Windows? I am able to locate and view/edit quote.pm, but have no idea what to do with these .diff files. Thanks!

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

Mike Alexander
--On February 28, 2012 3:43:22 AM -0800 Ian K <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Could someone explain how to apply these patches in Windows? I am
> able to locate and view/edit quote.pm, but have no idea what to do
> with these .diff files. Thanks!

If you don't have a patch program then you'll have to edit the relevant
files and apply the patches by hand.  Lines in the patch that start
with "-" represent lines that should be deleted from the file.  Lines
starting with "+" should be added to the file.  Lines starting with " "
are for context and should not be changed in the file.  The "+", "-",
or " " are not part of the line and should not be entered into the
file.  Liberal use of copy and paste can make this a little less error
prone.

          Mike

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

Derek Atkins
Mike Alexander <[hidden email]> writes:

> --On February 28, 2012 3:43:22 AM -0800 Ian K <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Could someone explain how to apply these patches in Windows? I am
>> able to locate and view/edit quote.pm, but have no idea what to do
>> with these .diff files. Thanks!
>>

> If you don't have a patch program then you'll have to edit the
> relevant files and apply the patches by hand.  Lines in the patch that
> start with "-" represent lines that should be deleted from the file.
> Lines starting with "+" should be added to the file.  Lines starting
> with " " are for context and should not be changed in the file.  The
> "+", "-", or " " are not part of the line and should not be entered
> into the file.  Liberal use of copy and paste can make this a little
> less error prone.

I wonder if we should just make the post-patched files available for
windows users?  Or perhaps provide a patch to the "Install F::Q" menu
option?

>          Mike

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

r1d1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

As a long time GnuCash user, the recent inability to update the quote for CURRENCY:EUR has been frustrating to say the least.

A quick Google search brought me here, and I've just successfully applied the patches following the instructions in the above posts.
Result - CURRENCY:EUR now updating once more!

Thanks to you all,

Bob

Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

Ian K
That's a great idea - if a patched/working version of quote.pm could be made available that would be very useful.

RE: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

Manoj Kumar

Hi,

Patched Quote.pm is available with the following message -

http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2012-February/043255.html

And Patch for Windows can be downloaded from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm

Regards,

> Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:01:55 -0800
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR
>
> That's a great idea - if a patched/working version of quote.pm could be made
> available that would be very useful.

RE: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

Ian K
Thank you! I use the Nabble site to access this mailing list and for some reason that branch of this thread doesn't seem to be listed for me in Nabble.
I had already downloaded, installed and tried using Gnuwin32 to patch the file, but had failed at the runtime error that had been mentioned. By this point I was losing the will to live...

However, the following steps have finally worked.
patch --binary < quote.pm.diff
patch --binary < currency1.diff
patch --binary < currency2.diff

In case it helps other Windows users here is what I did (XP 32bit):
I copied quote.pm and the .diff files into a temporary folder, then, after installing Gnuwin32 I brought up a command prompt, navigated to the temporary folder and set a path to Gnuwin32:
path C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin
I then ran the above patches, and copied the patched quote.pm back again, after renaming the original file quote.pm.old.

RE: Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

rsbrux
Thanks for all of the reports in this thread, especially the last 2 or 3.  As a Windows user, I would have had a tough time figuring out how to fix this without your step-by-step descriptions :-)
12