Trading Accounts

Les Elliott
I have been using GC for several years, and although I trade stocks, I
have never used the "Trading Accounts" option.  Can I just start using
it, or would I need to start a new GC file?

Thanks,

Les

Re: Trading Accounts

Adrien Monteleone
Yes, you can add trading accounts (or any other accounts) as needed to your
current file.

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been using GC for several years, and although I trade stocks, I
> have never used the "Trading Accounts" option.  Can I just start using it,
> or would I need to start a new GC file?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Les

Re: Trading Accounts

David Carlson-4
I think that if you want to stop using trading account s it is difficult to
turn them off.

I would set up a test file to try them on until you decide whether you like
them.

David  C

On Feb 11, 2018 5:39 PM, "Adrien Monteleone" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yes, you can add trading accounts (or any other accounts) as needed to your
> current file.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have been using GC for several years, and although I trade stocks, I
> > have never used the "Trading Accounts" option.  Can I just start using
> it,
> > or would I need to start a new GC file?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Les

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: Trading Accounts

Christoph R
And run “Actions -> Check & Repair -> Check & Repair All” to add the needed splits to existing transactions.

Gruß,
Christoph

> Am 12.02.2018 um 01:27 schrieb David Carlson <[hidden email]>:
>
> I think that if you want to stop using trading account s it is difficult to
> turn them off.
>
> I would set up a test file to try them on until you decide whether you like
> them.
>
> David  C
>
> On Feb 11, 2018 5:39 PM, "Adrien Monteleone" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, you can add trading accounts (or any other accounts) as needed to your
>> current file.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have been using GC for several years, and although I trade stocks, I
>>> have never used the "Trading Accounts" option.  Can I just start using
>> it,
>>> or would I need to start a new GC file?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Les

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: Trading Accounts

Les Elliott
Thanks, Adrien, David & Christoph for your replies.  I think opening a
new GC file and testing Trading Accounts is a good idea.

Regards,

Les

On 02/12/2018 01:40 AM, Christoph R wrote:

> And run “Actions -> Check & Repair -> Check & Repair All” to add the needed splits to existing transactions.
>
> Gruß,
> Christoph
>
>> Am 12.02.2018 um 01:27 schrieb David Carlson <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I think that if you want to stop using trading account s it is difficult to
>> turn them off.
>>
>> I would set up a test file to try them on until you decide whether you like
>> them.
>>
>> David  C
>>
>> On Feb 11, 2018 5:39 PM, "Adrien Monteleone" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, you can add trading accounts (or any other accounts) as needed to your
>>> current file.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Adrien

>>> it,

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: Trading Accounts

David Carlson-4
It would be more fun to make a test copy of an existing file! 😁

David C

On Feb 12, 2018 4:13 AM, "Les" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Adrien, David & Christoph for your replies.  I think opening a new
> GC file and testing Trading Accounts is a good idea.
>
> Regards,
>
> Les
>

> On 02/12/2018 01:40 AM, Christoph R wrote:
>
>> And run “Actions -> Check & Repair -> Check & Repair All” to add the
>> needed splits to existing transactions.
>>
>> Gruß,
>> Christoph
>>
>> Am 12.02.2018 um 01:27 schrieb David Carlson <[hidden email]
>>>
>>> I think that if you want to stop using trading account s it is difficult
>>> turn them off.
>>>
>>> I would set up a test file to try them on until you decide whether you
>>> like
>>> them.
>>>
>>> David  C
>>>
>>> On Feb 11, 2018 5:39 PM, "Adrien Monteleone" <
>>> [hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, you can add trading accounts (or any other accounts) as needed to

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: Trading Accounts

Les Elliott
That is what I have in mind.

On 02/12/2018 04:41 AM, David Carlson wrote:

> [...]
>             <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>             information.
>             -----
>             Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>             You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>         If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>         https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>         <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>         information.
>         -----
>         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

I have a "test" laptop with GC 2.6.17 running the latest Linux Mint.  I
opened GC and tried using Trading Accounts, did check and repair, noted
the totals of assets, liabilities, income and expense before and after.
There was no difference.  I then ran a Income and Expense report for
year 2016 (which is the same as my production GC and compared the two.
Again there was no difference in totals between the two GC files.

So, exactly what does Trading Accounts actually do? I noticed that when
viewing a stock transaction using auto-split view, there are added lines
showing trading: currencies and trading: exchange and stock symbol, that
does not appear without trading accounts.

Thanks,

Les

> [...]

>             <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>             information.
>             -----
>             Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>             You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>         If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>         https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>         <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>         information.
>         -----
>         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Christopher Lam
Hi Les

Really interesting question, with a simple and a complicated answer.

Simple answer: I think Trial Balance would differ if you deal with
multiple currencies or stock (i.e. multiple conversions with differing
dates and prices).

Complicated answer:

https://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/tutorial.html

https://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/gnucash.html

On 12/02/18 20:41, Les wrote:

> [...]
>>             <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>>             information.
>>             -----
>>             Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>             You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>>         If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>         https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>>         <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>>         information.
>>         -----
>>         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
>>     -----
>>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

UnfOrtumately I cannot read the article that zchristofer cited from my
clunky Tablet ant tablet really messes up mystery composition skills.

I think that if you have always correctly calculated every capital gain in
every closing transaction and never had any ambiguously matched lots there
will not be any overall difference with or without trading accounts.

I would guess trading accounts help the most for users with more
complicated trades.

I am sure that you would need to drill down to the capital gains and
incomes in closing transactions to see where the  T A could make a
difference.

David C

On Feb 12, 2018 6:53 AM, "Christopher Lam" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>             <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>>>             information.
>>>             -----
>>>             Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>>             You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>>>         If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>>         https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>>>         <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>>>         information.
>>>         -----
>>>         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>>         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>>>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>>>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
>>>     -----
>>>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

I use, in addition to USD. AUD, HKD, CAD, CNY and SGD.  I buy in
tranches for average cost.  So, not sure that means I have complicated
trades but I make sure I never have any orphan accounts. I checked my
test file for capital and it did not list any. Although, at the bottom
of my accounts list, there is a list of currencies and exchanges with
totals for each. But, again, there isn't any difference in income and
expenses.

Les
On 02/12/2018 08:18 AM, David Carlson wrote:

> UnfOrtumately I cannot read the article that zchristofer cited from my
> clunky Tablet ant tablet really messes up mystery composition skills.
>
> I think that if you have always correctly calculated every capital gain in
> every closing transaction and never had any ambiguously matched lots there
> will not be any overall difference with or without trading accounts.
>
> I would guess trading accounts help the most for users with more
> complicated trades.
>
> I am sure that you would need to drill down to the capital gains and
> incomes in closing transactions to see where the  T A could make a
> difference.
>
> David C
>

> On Feb 12, 2018 6:53 AM, "Christopher Lam" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Les
>>
>> Really interesting question, with a simple and a complicated answer.
>>
>> Simple answer: I think Trial Balance would differ if you deal with
>> multiple currencies or stock (i.e. multiple conversions with differing
>> dates and prices).
>>
>> Complicated answer:
>>
>> https://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/tutorial.html
>>
>> https://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/gnucash.html

>> On 12/02/18 20:41, Les wrote:
>>
>>> I have a "test" laptop with GC 2.6.17 running the latest Linux Mint.  I
>>> opened GC and tried using Trading Accounts, did check and repair, noted the
>>> totals of assets, liabilities, income and expense before and after.  There
>>> was no difference.  I then ran a Income and Expense report for year 2016
>>> (which is the same as my production GC and compared the two.  Again there
>>> was no difference in totals between the two GC files.
>>>
>>> So, exactly what does Trading Accounts actually do? I noticed that when
>>> viewing a stock transaction using auto-split view, there are added lines
>>> showing trading: currencies and trading: exchange and stock symbol, that
>>> does not appear without trading accounts.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: Trading Accounts

David Carlson-4
If you read Christopher's links, they go into the theory behind the
development of trading accounts.

I personally do not need them for my use, so I am not conversant with how
they work.

I think that you may need them, based on the fact that you are looking into
using them, but I cannot help with details.

Perhaps another user that does use them can chime in (hint Hint)

David C

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:12 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use, in addition to USD. AUD, HKD, CAD, CNY and SGD.  I buy in tranches
> for average cost.  So, not sure that means I have complicated trades but I
> make sure I never have any orphan accounts. I checked my test file for
> capital and it did not list any. Although, at the bottom of my accounts
> list, there is a list of currencies and exchanges with totals for each.
> But, again, there isn't any difference in income and expenses.
>
> Les
>
> On 02/12/2018 08:18 AM, David Carlson wrote:
>
>> UnfOrtumately I cannot read the article that zchristofer cited from my
>> clunky Tablet ant tablet really messes up mystery composition skills.
>>
>> I think that if you have always correctly calculated every capital gain in
>> every closing transaction and never had any ambiguously matched lots there
>> will not be any overall difference with or without trading accounts.
>>
>> I would guess trading accounts help the most for users with more
>> complicated trades.
>>
>> I am sure that you would need to drill down to the capital gains and
>> incomes in closing transactions to see where the  T A could make a
>> difference.
>>
>> David C
>>

>> On Feb 12, 2018 6:53 AM, "Christopher Lam" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Les
>>>
>>> Really interesting question, with a simple and a complicated answer.
>>>
>>> Simple answer: I think Trial Balance would differ if you deal with
>>> multiple currencies or stock (i.e. multiple conversions with differing
>>> dates and prices).
>>>
>>> Complicated answer:
>>>
>>> https://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/tutorial.html
>>>
>>> https://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/gnucash.html

>>> On 12/02/18 20:41, Les wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a "test" laptop with GC 2.6.17 running the latest Linux Mint.  I

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: Trading Accounts

Les Elliott
I ran a balance sheet for 2016 and compared the two.  Everything looks
the same until I reach the equity account.  Here is where the difference
occurs (and I completely missed it initially).  In the GC file without
the use of Trading Accounts, I have unrealized gains, whereas in the GC
file using Trading Accounts, I have trading gains.

I think I need to start using Trading Accounts, if I want to obtain a
more accurate set of accounts.

For what it is worth, I have been relying on my brokerage accounts to
determine gains and losses for tax purposes.

I am thinking about copying my production GC file to my test computer
and run balance sheet and income and expense for ye 2017 and compare.  I
think it will be significant.

Les
p.s.: I did read the the link from Christopher.

On 02/12/2018 12:05 PM, David Carlson wrote:

> [...]
>             <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>             information.
>             -----
>             Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>             You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>         If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>         https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>         <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>         information.
>         -----
>         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Be sure to compare what Gnucash generates to what your broker reports to
the government.  Gnucash has trouble calculating the net gain that the IRS
wants to see.

Many of us still use spreadsheet s to compare to the brokerage reports that
are sent to the IRS.

David C

On Feb 12, 2018 2:27 PM, "Les" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I ran a balance sheet for 2016 and compared the two.  Everything looks the
> same until I reach the equity account.  Here is where the difference occurs
> (and I completely missed it initially).  In the GC file without the use of
> Trading Accounts, I have unrealized gains, whereas in the GC file using
> Trading Accounts, I have trading gains.
> I think I need to start using Trading Accounts, if I want to obtain a more
> accurate set of accounts.
>
> For what it is worth, I have been relying on my brokerage accounts to
> determine gains and losses for tax purposes.
>
> I am thinking about copying my production GC file to my test computer and
> run balance sheet and income and expense for ye 2017 and compare.  I think
> it will be significant.
>

> Les
> p.s.: I did read the the link from Christopher.
>

> On 02/12/2018 12:05 PM, David Carlson wrote:
>
> If you read Christopher's links, they go into the theory behind the
> development of trading accounts.
>
> I personally do not need them for my use, so I am not conversant with how
> they work.
>
> I think that you may need them, based on the fact that you are looking
> into using them, but I cannot help with details.
>
> Perhaps another user that does use them can chime in (hint Hint)
>
> David C
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:12 AM, Les <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I use, in addition to USD. AUD, HKD, CAD, CNY and SGD.  I buy in tranches
>> for average cost.  So, not sure that means I have complicated trades but I
>> make sure I never have any orphan accounts. I checked my test file for
>> capital and it did not list any. Although, at the bottom of my accounts
>> list, there is a list of currencies and exchanges with totals for each.
>> But, again, there isn't any difference in income and expenses.
>>
>> Les
>>
>> On 02/12/2018 08:18 AM, David Carlson wrote:
>>
>>> UnfOrtumately I cannot read the article that zchristofer cited from my
>>> clunky Tablet ant tablet really messes up mystery composition skills.
>>>
>>> I think that if you have always correctly calculated every capital gain
>>> in
>>> every closing transaction and never had any ambiguously matched lots
>>> there
>>> will not be any overall difference with or without trading accounts.
>>>
>>> I would guess trading accounts help the most for users with more
>>> complicated trades.
>>>
>>> I am sure that you would need to drill down to the capital gains and
>>> incomes in closing transactions to see where the  T A could make a
>>> difference.
>>>
>>> David C
>>>

>>> On Feb 12, 2018 6:53 AM, "Christopher Lam" <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Les

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: Trading Accounts

Wm-3
On 12/02/2018 12:41, Les wrote:

> I have a "test" laptop with GC 2.6.17 running the latest Linux Mint.  I
> opened GC and tried using Trading Accounts, did check and repair, noted
> the totals of assets, liabilities, income and expense before and after.
> There was no difference.  I then ran a Income and Expense report for
> year 2016 (which is the same as my production GC and compared the two.
> Again there was no difference in totals between the two GC files.
>
> So, exactly what does Trading Accounts actually do? I noticed that when
> viewing a stock transaction using auto-split view, there are added lines
> showing trading: currencies and trading: exchange and stock symbol, that
> does not appear without trading accounts.

Don't use Trading Accounts unless you know what they are in gnc terms.

Follow the links ChristopherL has given first, you probably need to
understand Selinger first, promise.

--
Wm

Re: Trading Accounts

On 12/02/2018 17:12, Les wrote:
> I use, in addition to USD. AUD, HKD, CAD, CNY and SGD.  I buy in
> tranches for average cost.  So, not sure that means I have complicated
> trades but I make sure I never have any orphan accounts. I checked my
> test file for capital and it did not list any. Although, at the bottom
> of my accounts list, there is a list of currencies and exchanges with
> totals for each. But, again, there isn't any difference in income and
> expenses.

Trading Accounts may well help you given the mix of currencies.

--
Wm

Re: Trading Accounts

Wm-3
On 13/02/2018 02:27, David Carlson wrote:
> Be sure to compare what Gnucash generates to what your broker reports to
> the government.  Gnucash has trouble calculating the net gain that the IRS
> wants to see.
>
> Many of us still use spreadsheet s to compare to the brokerage reports that
> are sent to the IRS.

The joy being that gnc doesn't take a view :)

P.S. I sometimes forget I have to get through Liz first so you'll be
reading this next week.

--
Wm

Re: Trading Accounts

Les Elliott
Good advice David.

I have always just used my broker reports for tax purposes.  I guess I
never really relied on GC for such reporting.  I use GC to keep track of
my day-to-day transactions; inputing from paper receipts as I receive
them. Also reconciling bank and brokerage accounts at month end.

Les
On 02/12/2018 08:27 PM, David Carlson wrote:

> [...]
>>                 <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for
>>                 more information.
>>                 -----
>>                 Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>                 You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>>             If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>             https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>>             <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>>             information.
>>             -----
>>             Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>             You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>>         If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>         https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>>         <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists> for more
>>         information.
>>         -----
>>         Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>         You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Thanks, that is what my test file indicates.  I am adding Trading
Accounts to my production GC file.

Les