Tracking stocks and sales - improving GnuCash

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tracking stocks and sales - improving GnuCash

Todd Wells
Hi, I've been using GnuCash for a month now.  Since I know the developer(s) are open to usability suggestions, I'd like to make a couple.

First my perspective -- I'm a longtime Quicken user.  I like Quicken.  But I switched to a Mac about 4-5 years ago now, and the unfortunate truth is that Quicken for the Mac is a buggy beast that resulted in the corruption of my data files on more than one occasion.  And I have some objections to Intuit's business practices. So I just can't deal with Quicken anymore.  So I decided to give Gnucash a try, since there doesn't appear to be much in the way of finance software for Macs.  I'm not an accountant, so the double-entry stuff is a little foreign to me, but I can (try to) learn.  I'm also a programmer/tester, so I'm pretty comfortable with software in general.

As fate would have it, I have a diversity of mutual fund investments.  Let's say 10-20, at any given time.  So there's a fair amount of tracking that has to go on.  Getting an investment set up in GnuCash seems pretty straightforward.  Having to set up Finance::Quote went fairly smoothly, but I feel like that functionality should be built-in to GnuCash and "just work".  But that wasn't much of an issue.

The real frustration for me comes when I sell a mutual fund or stock.  I have the help/user guide printouts in front of me to walk me through it, but it's just plain difficult to get the splits correct.  Not only that, but I have to figure out the capital gains!  Now, for me, one reason I use financial software is because IT DOES THE HARD STUFF FOR ME.  Alas, this doesn't appear to be true for selling stock in GnuCash.  Every time I go to sell, I have to dig out the printouts and hope I get it all "just right".  So, my recommendation for developers: make a "druid" (or whatever you want to call it) to make this stuff easier.  I shouldn't need to read instructions whenever I want to sell a stock, the software should walk me through it and do the hard calculations and splits for me.  Quicken really does this stuff much easier, and I recommend you give it a try if only to see how the competition does it.

Also, how do I look at the current price of a stock?  It would be nice to have a simple view (like the Quicken portfolio view) that tells you at a glance your portfolio and the share prices and changes for that day.  I know there's a portfolio report, but that's not quite the same thing, as far as I can tell.  Maybe it's there, I just haven't found it.

Is there a way to turn off the "transaction memorization" feature?  Sometimes this is useful, but when the last memorized transaction is a split, it's kind of a pain.

All in all, GnuCash seems to be a pretty well-built piece of software, and I appreciate that.  But to appeal to the consumer (and not just the hard-core accounting types), it needs a little more polish, in my opinion.  I hope to continue to use GnuCash.  If I understood accounting at a higher level I would consider contributing as a programmer, but alas my accounting knowledge is fairly simplistic and I don't have any experience with guile.

Thanks for your ears,

-Todd


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tracking stocks and sales - improving GnuCash

Andrew Sackville-West
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:02:39 -0800
Todd Wells <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <<<Munch>>>
> Is there a way to turn off the "transaction memorization" feature?  Sometimes this is useful, but when the last memorized transaction is a split, it's kind of a pain.

This is something I've asked about too, though in another form.

My issue was that I often enter large batches of receipts and have found it easier (less click intensive) to enter them all from one register, even if it actually involves a different register.

For example, while working in my checking register, if I run across a credit card receipt, I will just enter the trn in the current register, but instead of the balancing split crediting checking, I change it to the credit card account. When the transaction is entered, it vanishes from the current register, of course, but is entered and works great. very handy.

HOWEVER, there exists in my checking register a handful of trns to a specific payee that are USUALLY charged on the cc. So, the register, correctly, recalls local trn and requires much hand editing to make it work. Still, imo, this is better than clickety-clicking my way to the other account.

What I would like to see is a way to build a "master-list" of trns (Quicken calls them "memorized") that overides the locally built recall-list. In your case this would allow you to memorise the non-split version of your transaction and have that take precedence over anything that appears in your current register.

BTW, the work-around for my situation involves entering everything in the general ledger as the quick-fill or auto-complete then includes ALL transactions. not much help in your situation.

A

>
> All in all, GnuCash seems to be a pretty well-built piece of software, and I appreciate that.  But to appeal to the consumer (and not just the hard-core accounting types), it needs a little more polish, in my opinion.  I hope to continue to use GnuCash.  If I understood accounting at a higher level I would consider contributing as a programmer, but alas my accounting knowledge is fairly simplistic and I don't have any experience with guile.
>
> Thanks for your ears,
>
> -Todd
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tracking stocks and sales - improving GnuCash

Todd Wells
On Monday, January 30, 2006, at 01:17PM, Andrew Sackville-West <[hidden email]> wrote:

>What I would like to see is a way to build a "master-list" of trns (Quicken calls them "memorized") that overides the locally built recall-list. In your case this would allow you to memorise the non-split version of your transaction and have that take precedence over anything that appears in your current register.

Actually, I kind of like that memorized list Quicken uses -- because I would like the payees to be memorized, just not the transaction amount.  For instance, we're often using the debit card at the grocery store (probably the most frequent payee), but the amount is always different, so the memorized transaction is a mixed blessing.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tracking stocks and sales - improving GnuCash

Andrew Sackville-West
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:26:11 -0800
Todd Wells <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday, January 30, 2006, at 01:17PM, Andrew Sackville-West <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >What I would like to see is a way to build a "master-list" of trns (Quicken calls them "memorized") that overides the locally built recall-list. In your case this would allow you to memorise the non-split version of your transaction and have that take precedence over anything that appears in your current register.
>
> Actually, I kind of like that memorized list Quicken uses -- because I would like the payees to be memorized, just not the transaction amount.  For instance, we're often using the debit card at the grocery store (probably the most frequent payee), but the amount is always different, so the memorized transaction is a mixed blessing.

I find that the quickfill in gnucash works very well for _most_ situations. There are just a handful of transactions that I'd actually put on a memorized list like that. In Q you can memorize the trn with no amount, fwiw. I've peeked at the code that builds the quickfill list and it looks like it would be fairly straightforward to add it in, but I don't understand the data structures well enough to implement it. maybe when this year-end crap gets out ofthe way, I might try it again.
A

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tracking stocks and sales - improving GnuCash

Mark Johnson-2
In reply to this post by Todd Wells
Todd Wells wrote:

>  I'm not an accountant, so the double-entry stuff is a little foreign to me, but I can (try to) learn.  I'm also a programmer/tester, so I'm pretty comfortable with software in general.
>  
>
I used to use Quicken too.  The double-entry is something I like.  
Instead of "categories", we have expense accounts and income accounts.  
I like being able to open one of these accounts and examine all my
expenses to that "category".  I could not do that in Quicken.

>Also, how do I look at the current price of a stock?  It would be nice to have a simple view (like the Quicken portfolio view) that tells you at a glance your portfolio and the share prices and changes for that day.  I know there's a portfolio report, but that's not quite the same thing, as far as I can tell.  Maybe it's there, I just haven't found it.
>  
>
I would suggest that the price editor be able to display prices for just
one commodity at a time.  (I believe this is coming in G2.)

>Is there a way to turn off the "transaction memorization" feature?  Sometimes this is useful, but when the last memorized transaction is a split, it's kind of a pain.
>  
>
It's exactly not turning it off, but you can right-click a transaction
you are entering and select a menu choice to remove all the splits.  
It's pretty close to what you'd like.

Mark

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.