Tracking cash

gnucash_rob
Hi,
I wanted to track cash available in my gnucash accounts,  i.e. the sum of
the balances of my bank accounts minus my liabilities like credit cards so
I can see how they're developing over time. I've tried it through a couple
of reports but it's not coming out quite right.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Re: Tracking cash

Oon-Ee Ng
Not familiar with reports, but if your bank accounts and credit cards
are both children of the same parent that parent account would show
what you want.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 6:23 AM, Rob Cussons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I wanted to track cash available in my gnucash accounts,  i.e. the sum of
> the balances of my bank accounts minus my liabilities like credit cards so
> I can see how they're developing over time. I've tried it through a couple
> of reports but it's not coming out quite right.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!

Re: Tracking cash

Rob,

The balance sheet at a given date should contain the information you want. Reports->Assets and Liabilities-BalanceSheet. You can set which accounts are included and the date at which you require the balance sheet  and a wide variety of other parameters using Edit->Report Options with the balance sheet open and then  hit the Apply button at the end of the dialog. The defaults are what is normally required for a balance sheet for accounting reporting purposes but you can change it to give what you require and limit it to specific asset and liability accounts. Just remeber to restore the defaults when you want the normal Balance Sheet report. You may have to subtract the liabilities total from the assets total  to get your cash position and restrict the asset and liability accounts to those which affect your cash balance.

HTH

Re: Tracking cash

Mike or Penny Novack-2
On 7/19/2016 7:02 PM, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:

> Not familiar with reports, but if your bank accounts and credit cards
> are both children of the same parent that parent account would show
> what you want.
>
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 6:23 AM, Rob Cussons <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I wanted to track cash available in my gnucash accounts,  i.e. the sum of
>> the balances of my bank accounts minus my liabilities like credit cards so
>> I can see how they're developing over time. I've tried it through a couple
>> of reports but it's not coming out quite right.
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks!
They would not be (not in a normal CoA)

You want a SELECTIVE Balance Sheet report just including "current
assets" and "current liabilities" and THAT you can easily set up in your
CoA. You would (or should) already have the parent "current assets" but
perhaps not "current liabilities", but mind that you don't actually need
those NAMES used. Thus if you have a parent "credit cards" of which all
your credit cards are children and you have no other current liabilities
besides credit cards that would do. And mind also, having the parents is
just to simplify the selection statements.

OK, now look at the Balance Sheet report. Do you not see in report
options (Edit => Report Options) a place that allows you to select what
accounts are included?

Michael D Novack

PS: A normal Balance Sheet would be ALL your Asset, Liabilities, and
Equity. For example, a mortgage is a liability, but it isn't a CURRENT
liability as all of it isn't due immediately. A "demand note" would be,
but you probably don't have one of those outstanding.

Re: Tracking cash

Wm...
On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 22:23:30 +0000, in gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user,
Rob Cussons <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I wanted to track cash available in my gnucash accounts,  i.e. the sum of
> the balances of my bank accounts minus my liabilities like credit cards so
> I can see how they're developing over time. I've tried it through a couple
> of reports but it's not coming out quite right.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!

I use Reports / Income & Expense / Cashflow

General Tab:
Start dt: Today
End dt: some time in the future, e.g. 1 or 2 months ahead

Accounts Tab: current assets + current liabilities would be the usual
choices

This works very well for me as I use scheduled transactions a lot and
generate them between 45 and 90 days ahead of time.  I also use credit
cards whenever possible and maintain the payment amount as I make purchases
so the amounts due to leave my current account to pay each card is known
well ahead of time and in the cash flow.

If your view of accounting is mainly reactive and post the event this
probably won't make as much sense.

--
Wm

Re: Tracking cash

gnucash_rob
Thanks some very useful and quick responses.

I have the current assets parent, but I don't want all of those accounts
as, for example, they contain things like Childcare voucher balance which I
can't easily retrieve the cash from. Also I don't have liabilities split
into current and long term (I maybe should).

The balance sheet gives what I want for now, but I would like a monthly
view on a particular date in a month preferably in the form of a graph over
the last year. Is there a way to achieve that in gnucash, or would I have
to pull the balance sheet data into excel?

Thanks,
Rob.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 at 12:19 DaveC49 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rob,
>
> The balance sheet at a given date should contain the information you want.
> Reports->Assets and Liabilities-BalanceSheet. You can set which accounts
> are
> included and the date at which you require the balance sheet  and a wide
> variety of other parameters using Edit->Report Options with the balance
> sheet open and then  hit the Apply button at the end of the dialog. The
> defaults are what is normally required for a balance sheet for accounting
> reporting purposes but you can change it to give what you require and limit
> it to specific asset and liability accounts. Just remeber to restore the
> defaults when you want the normal Balance Sheet report. You may have to
> subtract the liabilities total from the assets total  to get your cash
> position and restrict the asset and liability accounts to those which
> affect
> your cash balance.
>
> HTH
>
> David

Re: Tracking cash

Rob Cussons <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
> I wanted to track cash available in my gnucash accounts,  i.e. the sum of
> the balances of my bank accounts minus my liabilities like credit cards so
> I can see how they're developing over time. I've tried it through a couple
> of reports but it's not coming out quite right.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!

Sounds like you want a Balance Sheet report.

Re: Tracking cash

Rob Cussons <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks some very useful and quick responses.
>
> I have the current assets parent, but I don't want all of those accounts
> as, for example, they contain things like Childcare voucher balance which I
> can't easily retrieve the cash from. Also I don't have liabilities split
> into current and long term (I maybe should).
>
> The balance sheet gives what I want for now, but I would like a monthly
> view on a particular date in a month preferably in the form of a graph over
> the last year. Is there a way to achieve that in gnucash, or would I have
> to pull the balance sheet data into excel?

Maybe try the Net Worth Barchart?  Although it wont give you the ability
to run on on a particular date, per se.

> Thanks,
> Rob.

Re: Tracking cash

Mike or Penny Novack-2
On 7/20/2016 2:54 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Rob Cussons <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Thanks some very useful and quick responses.
>>
> Maybe try the Net Worth Barchart?  Although it wont give you the ability
> to run on on a particular date, per se.
  NO! Not "net worth". Net worth is NOT just "current assets". Net worth
would include fixed assets like the equity in your home, etc.

Michael D Novack

Re: Tracking cash

Mike or Penny Novack-2
On 7/20/2016 1:12 PM, Rob Cussons wrote:

> Thanks some very useful and quick responses.
>
> I have the current assets parent, but I don't want all of those accounts
> as, for example, they contain things like Childcare voucher balance which I
> can't easily retrieve the cash from. Also I don't have liabilities split
> into current and long term (I maybe should).
>
> The balance sheet gives what I want for now, but I would like a monthly
> view on a particular date in a month preferably in the form of a graph over
> the last year. Is there a way to achieve that in gnucash, or would I have
> to pull the balance sheet data into excel?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob.

Pull the balance sheets into a spreadsheet and use the spreadsheet app's
GENERAL editing abilities. Look, I am not saying that a programmer
couldn't write what would produce the report you desire WITHIN gnucash.
And then write one to produce the slightly different request of somebody
else. And maybe that's not ad infinitum but no obvious end to the
possibilities.

Michael D Novack

Re: Tracking cash

Mike,

Mike or Penny Novack <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 7/20/2016 2:54 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Rob Cussons <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Thanks some very useful and quick responses.
>>>
>> Maybe try the Net Worth Barchart?  Although it wont give you the ability
>> to run on on a particular date, per se.
>
>  NO! Not "net worth". Net worth is NOT just "current assets". Net
> worth would include fixed assets like the equity in your home, etc.

Only if you include those asset accounts in the report.  If you don't
include your fixed assets then the report will provide the information
requested.

You need to find the report that performs the *calculations* (and
display) that you want, and then you control which accounts gets
included in the calculations.