Tracking Projects

Pete Haworth
I am the treasurer for an organization that promotes musical concerts.  Is
there a way for gnucash to associate income and expenses with a specific
concert?  Right now I keep a spreadsheet to keep track since I can't find a
way to do it in gnucash.  I guess it's a kind of project accounting.
Thanks,
Pete

Re: Tracking Projects

Hass, Michael

I believe there is only one work-around, no direct solution. You have to use the voucher tool and run all the expenses through an “employee”. That can only post to a Payable account so if you’re using a credit card or check for those expenses, you have to post those expenses to a pass-through Payable and then move the balance to whatever account made the disbursement. That makes reconciling a bit hard. A lot of steps.

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 5:26 PM, Pete Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am the treasurer for an organization that promotes musical concerts.  Is
> there a way for gnucash to associate income and expenses with a specific
> concert?  Right now I keep a spreadsheet to keep track since I can't find a
> way to do it in gnucash.  I guess it's a kind of project accounting.
> Thanks,
> Pete

Re: Tracking Projects

Mike or Penny Novack-2
On 7/13/2016 5:26 PM, Pete Haworth wrote:
> I am the treasurer for an organization that promotes musical concerts.  Is
> there a way for gnucash to associate income and expenses with a specific
> concert?  Right now I keep a spreadsheet to keep track since I can't find a
> way to do it in gnucash.  I guess it's a kind of project accounting.
> Thanks,
> Pete
Is that ALL your organization does? A major part of what it does? A
minor part BUT these concerts are huge in terms in terms of amounts
relative to your other activities? Do these events have there own bank
accounts,credit card processing accounts, etc. It is questions like
these I would want answers to before making the decision best way to
proceed.

For example, one organization for which I was treasurer every several
years would host the annual gathering of the national organization. The
amount in and out for this event gigantic compared to other activity of
the organization. So for THAT situation I would use (and did use)
separate books << created a set of books for the event >>

But let's say your organization regularly puts on events. Now that
solution maybe not so good. There are other options to consider keeping
them on the main books. Give us a better description of what your
organization is doing.

But first I will point out a few things that might help. It might not be
obvious, but Income and Expense accounts are not really that different
except in terms of how reports created. They are both temporary accounts
of fundamental type Equity, the ones we call Income normally have a
credit balance and the ones we call Expense normally a debit balance. So

If you want profit/loss reporting for each event you have a choice. You
can place income and expense accounts where they usually go in the tree
and use SELECTIVE "Income Statement" report << select just certain
accounts -- those associated with the event for which you are preparing
the report>>  Or you can use "contra accounts". If Concert A is expected
to make a small profit every time, under Income put a parent "Concert A"
and under it children "Income from A" and Expenses for A" << but the
TYPE assigned these accounts would be income! >>  When entering
transactions, the income ones would be credit as usual but when entering
to one of the Concert A expense accounts would be a debit. Now you can
just run the Income Statement for the entire organization, no selection,
the balance of the Concert A parent will be the profit.

Again, we can't (or at least I can't) properly make suggestions about
what might be best for your organization until knowing more about the
requirements.

Michael D Novack

Re: Tracking Projects

Mike or Penny Novack-2
On 7/14/2016 8:05 AM, Michael Hass wrote:

> I believe there is only one work-around, no direct solution. You have to use the voucher tool and run all the expenses through an “employee”. That can only post to a Payable account so if you’re using a credit card or check for those expenses, you have to post those expenses to a pass-through Payable and then move the balance to whatever account made the disbursement. That makes reconciling a bit hard. A lot of steps.
   I forgot one more perhaps more fundamental question I would need to
know. Are the organization's books on the cash or accrual basis? << if
cash basis many of the built in business tools will not be available >>

Micheal D Novack

PS: To give a counter example, another organization for which I an
treasurer also sometimes does events, but those are tiny and relatively
incidental to our main activity, and not expecting to make a profit. So
no "event accounting" needed. There is a rumor that in the near future
this local will be asked to host the national annual gathering. That
never happened before. If it does I will decide then, with things like
whether separate bank accounts, vouchers to national (with the national
treasurer cutting checks), etc.

Re: Tracking Projects

Pete Haworth
Thanks. Yes that does sound like a lot of work.  I think I will just stick
using a spreadsheet to track the concert profit/Loss.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 5:06 AM Michael Hass <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe there is only one work-around, no direct solution. You have to
> use the voucher tool and run all the expenses through an “employee”. That
> can only post to a Payable account so if you’re using a credit card or
> check for those expenses, you have to post those expenses to a pass-through
> Payable and then move the balance to whatever account made the
> disbursement. That makes reconciling a bit hard. A lot of steps.
>

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 5:26 PM, Pete Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am the treasurer for an organization that promotes musical concerts.  Is
> there a way for gnucash to associate income and expenses with a specific
> concert?  Right now I keep a spreadsheet to keep track since I can't find a
> way to do it in gnucash.  I guess it's a kind of project accounting.
> Thanks,
> Pete

Re: Tracking Projects

ph hermes
i do this for client projects: i create an income side account for that
client/ project. then i create an expense account for the same client/
project. then when i need a report i use both of these accounts to create
the look see of the whole project.

      ph

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:
writer ~:~ photographer ~:~ book designer
resident manager
paulahendricks.com

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Mike or Penny Novack <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 7/14/2016 8:05 AM, Michael Hass wrote:
>

>> I believe there is only one work-around, no direct solution. You have to
>> use the voucher tool and run all the expenses through an “employee”. That
>> can only post to a Payable account so if you’re using a credit card or
>> check for those expenses, you have to post those expenses to a pass-through
>> Payable and then move the balance to whatever account made the
>> disbursement. That makes reconciling a bit hard. A lot of steps.
>>
>   I forgot one more perhaps more fundamental question I would need to
> know. Are the organization's books on the cash or accrual basis? << if cash
> basis many of the built in business tools will not be available >>
>
> Micheal D Novack
>
> PS: To give a counter example, another organization for which I an
> treasurer also sometimes does events, but those are tiny and relatively
> incidental to our main activity, and not expecting to make a profit. So no
> "event accounting" needed. There is a rumor that in the near future this
> local will be asked to host the national annual gathering. That never
> happened before. If it does I will decide then, with things like whether
> separate bank accounts, vouchers to national (with the national treasurer
> cutting checks), etc.

Re: Tracking Projects

On 14/07/16 17:21, Pete Haworth wrote:

> Thanks. Yes that does sound like a lot of work.  I think I will just stick
> using a spreadsheet to track the concert profit/Loss.
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 5:06 AM Michael Hass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I believe there is only one work-around, no direct solution. You have to
>> use the voucher tool and run all the expenses through an “employee”. That
>> can only post to a Payable account so if you’re using a credit card or
>> check for those expenses, you have to post those expenses to a pass-through
>> Payable and then move the balance to whatever account made the
>> disbursement. That makes reconciling a bit hard. A lot of steps.
>>

>> On Jul 13, 2016, at 5:26 PM, Pete Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am the treasurer for an organization that promotes musical concerts.  Is
>> there a way for gnucash to associate income and expenses with a specific
>> concert?  Right now I keep a spreadsheet to keep track since I can't find a
>> way to do it in gnucash.  I guess it's a kind of project accounting.
>> Thanks,
>> Pete

Hi Pete,
I think this should not be quite as awkward as the suggested steps... If
you use the 'business features' you should be able to class each concert
as a 'job' (or 'client' if that makes more sense for your situation -
depends on what you mean by 'promote')...

Then each time you have expenses for that concert you mark the 'default
chargeback project' when entering the bill or expense voucher, mark the
expenses as 'Bi' - billable items; and each time you receive income for
that concert process via an invoice (even if you are not actually
issuing an invoice).  The expense items will appear on the invoice to
set against the income received, or you could use a combination of
invoices and credit notes to set off the totals.  Then you can use the
customer/job report to look at each concert.  I'm no longer working in
this field so can't check for you, so experiment first using test data,
especially if different concerts are 'promoted' on different basis...

Hope that helps,
Katie

Re: Tracking Projects

Hass, Michael
This works for invoices but not if you are paying routine expenses out of
petty cash, with a credit card, or by check. You can post a bill to a Job
but not a simple expense.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Katie Eldridge via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14/07/16 17:21, Pete Haworth wrote:
>
>> Thanks. Yes that does sound like a lot of work.  I think I will just stick
>> using a spreadsheet to track the concert profit/Loss.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 5:06 AM Michael Hass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> I believe there is only one work-around, no direct solution. You have to
>>> use the voucher tool and run all the expenses through an “employee”. That
>>> can only post to a Payable account so if you’re using a credit card or
>>> check for those expenses, you have to post those expenses to a
>>> pass-through
>>> Payable and then move the balance to whatever account made the
>>> disbursement. That makes reconciling a bit hard. A lot of steps.
>>>

>>> On Jul 13, 2016, at 5:26 PM, Pete Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am the treasurer for an organization that promotes musical concerts.
>>> Is
>>> there a way for gnucash to associate income and expenses with a specific
>>> concert?  Right now I keep a spreadsheet to keep track since I can't
>>> find a
>>> way to do it in gnucash.  I guess it's a kind of project accounting.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Pete
>>>
>>> Hi Pete,
> I think this should not be quite as awkward as the suggested steps... If
> you use the 'business features' you should be able to class each concert as
> a 'job' (or 'client' if that makes more sense for your situation - depends
> on what you mean by 'promote')...
>
> Then each time you have expenses for that concert you mark the 'default
> chargeback project' when entering the bill or expense voucher, mark the
> expenses as 'Bi' - billable items; and each time you receive income for
> that concert process via an invoice (even if you are not actually issuing
> an invoice).  The expense items will appear on the invoice to set against
> the income received, or you could use a combination of invoices and credit
> notes to set off the totals.  Then you can use the customer/job report to
> look at each concert.  I'm no longer working in this field so can't check
> for you, so experiment first using test data, especially if different
> concerts are 'promoted' on different basis...
>
> Hope that helps,
> Katie

Michael Hass
*Drive Development Partners*
[hidden email]
www.drivedp.com
561-877-3415 // direct
515-447-9689 // mobile

Re: Tracking Projects

csmbtreasurer
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  What I was hoping for was a way to tag a transaction with a project code and a report all transaction sorted by project code with a total for each one.  Kind of a profit/loss statement for each project.  I could create income and expense accounts for each concert but I would end up with a large number of accounts that would only be used for a short period of time.

I believe gnucash stores its data in an SQL database.  I'm very familiar with using SQL databases so can probably write my own report based on what has been entered in one of the existing gnucash fields, perhaps the memo/description field.  I'd just have t be careful to enter exactly the correct text in the field whereas having a specific project field with a dropdown menu of valid project codes would be much less prone to input errors.

Is it possible to submit enhancement requests to the gnucash team?

Re: Tracking Projects

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 15, 2016, at 1:51 PM, csmbtreasurer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  What I was hoping for was a way to
> tag a transaction with a project code and a report all transaction sorted by
> project code with a total for each one.  Kind of a profit/loss statement for
> each project.  I could create income and expense accounts for each concert
> but I would end up with a large number of accounts that would only be used
> for a short period of time.
>
> I believe gnucash stores its data in an SQL database.  I'm very familiar
> with using SQL databases so can probably write my own report based on what
> has been entered in one of the existing gnucash fields, perhaps the
> memo/description field.  I'd just have t be careful to enter exactly the
> correct text in the field whereas having a specific project field with a
> dropdown menu of valid project codes would be much less prone to input
> errors.
>
> Is it possible to submit enhancement requests to the gnucash team?

GnuCash *can* store its data in a SQL database if you install the requisite drivers and database clients (they're included in the Windows All-in-One, and the SQLite3 driver/client is in the Mac All-in-One). Once you have the requisite software in place use File>Save As and select the SQL DB you prefer from the listbox at the top of the file chooser.

There's no need for an enhancement request for tags. That's already one of the most requested features, but of higher priority now is converting GnuCash to be a proper database application rather than one that happens to use a database as its object store.

Re: Tracking Projects

Plutocrat
csmbtreasurer wrote on Saturday, 16 July, 2016 04:51 AM:
> What I was hoping for was a way to
> tag a transaction with a project code and a report all transaction sorted by
> project code with a total for each one.

Um, isn't that just about what Job, and Job Report do? Could you use those somehow?

I'll go back to lurking ...

P.

Re: Tracking Projects

On 15/07/16 12:56, Hass, Michael wrote:

> This works for invoices but not if you are paying routine expenses out
> of petty cash, with a credit card, or by check. You can post a bill to
> a Job but not a simple expense.
>
>             On Jul 13, 2016, at 5:26 PM, Pete Haworth
>             <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>             I am the treasurer for an organization that promotes
>             musical concerts.  Is
>             there a way for gnucash to associate income and expenses
>             with a specific
>             concert?  Right now I keep a spreadsheet to keep track
>             since I can't find a
>             way to do it in gnucash.  I guess it's a kind of project
>             accounting.
>             Thanks,
>             Pete
>
>     Hi Pete,
>     I think this should not be quite as awkward as the suggested
>     steps... If you use the 'business features' you should be able to
>     class each concert as a 'job' (or 'client' if that makes more
>     sense for your situation - depends on what you mean by 'promote')...
>
>     Then each time you have expenses for that concert you mark the
>     'default chargeback project' when entering the bill or expense
>     voucher, mark the expenses as 'Bi' - billable items; and each time
>     you receive income for that concert process via an invoice (even
>     if you are not actually issuing an invoice).  The expense items
>     will appear on the invoice to set against the income received, or
>     you could use a combination of invoices and credit notes to set
>     off the totals.  Then you can use the customer/job report to look
>     at each concert.  I'm no longer working in this field so can't
>     check for you, so experiment first using test data, especially if
>     different concerts are 'promoted' on different basis...
>
>     Hope that helps,
>     Katie

I've just checked this, and you can charge to 'jobs' from petty cash,
credit card or cheque, by entering each expense as a 'bill' rather than
straight into the transaction register.  Bills can be paid from petty
cash or credit card, so your reconciliation should not be a problem.  If
you were worried about extra overhead in listing vendors you could just
add a dummy vendor for 'shop'.

Katie

Re: Tracking Projects

Mark Phillips
Why not just open a new gnucash file for each concert, and have one file
for organization?

Mark

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Katie Eldridge via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15/07/16 12:56, Hass, Michael wrote:
>
>> This works for invoices but not if you are paying routine expenses out of
>> petty cash, with a credit card, or by check. You can post a bill to a Job
>> but not a simple expense.
>>
>>             On Jul 13, 2016, at 5:26 PM, Pete Haworth
>>             <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>             I am the treasurer for an organization that promotes
>>             musical concerts.  Is
>>             there a way for gnucash to associate income and expenses
>>             with a specific
>>             concert?  Right now I keep a spreadsheet to keep track
>>             since I can't find a
>>             way to do it in gnucash.  I guess it's a kind of project
>>             accounting.
>>             Thanks,
>>             Pete
>>
>>     Hi Pete,
>>     I think this should not be quite as awkward as the suggested
>>     steps... If you use the 'business features' you should be able to
>>     class each concert as a 'job' (or 'client' if that makes more
>>     sense for your situation - depends on what you mean by 'promote')...
>>
>>     Then each time you have expenses for that concert you mark the
>>     'default chargeback project' when entering the bill or expense
>>     voucher, mark the expenses as 'Bi' - billable items; and each time
>>     you receive income for that concert process via an invoice (even
>>     if you are not actually issuing an invoice).  The expense items
>>     will appear on the invoice to set against the income received, or
>>     you could use a combination of invoices and credit notes to set
>>     off the totals.  Then you can use the customer/job report to look
>>     at each concert.  I'm no longer working in this field so can't
>>     check for you, so experiment first using test data, especially if
>>     different concerts are 'promoted' on different basis...
>>
>>     Hope that helps,
>>     Katie
>>
>> I've just checked this, and you can charge to 'jobs' from petty cash,
> credit card or cheque, by entering each expense as a 'bill' rather than
> straight into the transaction register.  Bills can be paid from petty cash
> or credit card, so your reconciliation should not be a problem.  If you
> were worried about extra overhead in listing vendors you could just add a
> dummy vendor for 'shop'.
>

> Katie

Re: Tracking Projects

Wm...
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 21:33:15 +0100, in gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user,
Katie Eldridge via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15/07/16 12:56, Hass, Michael wrote:
>> This works for invoices but not if you are paying routine expenses out
>> of petty cash, with a credit card, or by check. You can post a bill to
>> a Job but not a simple expense.
>>
>>             On Jul 13, 2016, at 5:26 PM, Pete Haworth
>>             <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>             I am the treasurer for an organization that promotes
>>             musical concerts.  Is
>>             there a way for gnucash to associate income and expenses
>>             with a specific
>>             concert?  Right now I keep a spreadsheet to keep track
>>             since I can't find a
>>             way to do it in gnucash.  I guess it's a kind of project
>>             accounting.
>>             Thanks,
>>             Pete
>>
>>     Hi Pete,
>>     I think this should not be quite as awkward as the suggested
>>     steps... If you use the 'business features' you should be able to
>>     class each concert as a 'job' (or 'client' if that makes more
>>     sense for your situation - depends on what you mean by 'promote')...
>>
>>     Then each time you have expenses for that concert you mark the
>>     'default chargeback project' when entering the bill or expense
>>     voucher, mark the expenses as 'Bi' - billable items; and each time
>>     you receive income for that concert process via an invoice (even
>>     if you are not actually issuing an invoice).  The expense items
>>     will appear on the invoice to set against the income received, or
>>     you could use a combination of invoices and credit notes to set
>>     off the totals.  Then you can use the customer/job report to look
>>     at each concert.  I'm no longer working in this field so can't
>>     check for you, so experiment first using test data, especially if
>>     different concerts are 'promoted' on different basis...
>>
>>     Hope that helps,
>>     Katie
>>
> I've just checked this, and you can charge to 'jobs' from petty cash,
> credit card or cheque, by entering each expense as a 'bill' rather than
> straight into the transaction register.  Bills can be paid from petty
> cash or credit card, so your reconciliation should not be a problem.  If
> you were worried about extra overhead in listing vendors you could just
> add a dummy vendor for 'shop'.

You've given very good responses in two recent threads on this, Katie.  Do
you think the Tutorial and Concepts Guide needs a bit of expansion ?
You're certainly coming up with practical stuff that I think is there but
would have to snuffle through to find.

It would make sense for you to write a para or two and get someone else to
bung that into the Guide if you don't want to do that yourself ...
otherwise I could try to cobble something together.  Seems a pity to not
grab your knowledge now if you're no longer using it on an every day basis.

Thoughts?

--
Wm