Time tracking in GnuCash

Luigi Bai-3
Hi,

I just started using GnuCash for the first time this weekend. I'm
hooked; it's a great replacement for my old ledger program.

As a consultant, one thing I miss from my old program is tracking time.
I'm hacking it right now by having an asset account called "Hours Bank"
which has an entry for each time interval; the value is interval * rate,
and the memo documents the interval. Each entry is a transfer from the
correct income account. (This is of course hand calculated for now). My
invoice posts items against the Hours Bank, which moves the asset to
A/R. This works nicely in terms of tying up correctly; however, I'm not
entirely sure that the Hours Bank is a real asset (although I guess they
are - they're not invoiced yet but can be, according to the contract).
The "Hours Bank" account doesn't work if it's an A/R account.

What I'd like to do is set up two GUI dialogs to make this easier. One
would probably be under Business->Time Tracking, and would ask which
Customer/Job to post against, the rate, and the interval (start end). In
a perfect world, I would be able to retrieve the account information
from the Customer/Job - which asset account and which income account get
involved. In a pinch, I guess I could instead just have the dialog do
that for now.

The second dialog would be involved during the creation of the invoice.
It'd ask for which Hours Bank asset account to debit, and show a list of
transactions; clicking on more than one would cause them to be summed
for the invoice line item.

Is this approach to tracking time sane? And is anyone working on
something like this already?

Thanks;
Luigi

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

Ariel-16

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Luigi Bai wrote:

> As a consultant, one thing I miss from my old program is tracking time.
> I'm hacking it right now by having an asset account called "Hours Bank"
> which has an entry for each time interval; the value is interval * rate,
> and the memo documents the interval. Each entry is a transfer from the
> correct income account. (This is of course hand calculated for now). My
> invoice posts items against the Hours Bank, which moves the asset to
> A/R. This works nicely in terms of tying up correctly; however, I'm not
> entirely sure that the Hours Bank is a real asset (although I guess they
> are - they're not invoiced yet but can be, according to the contract).
> The "Hours Bank" account doesn't work if it's an A/R account.
>
> What I'd like to do is set up two GUI dialogs to make this easier. One
> would probably be under Business->Time Tracking, and would ask which
> Customer/Job to post against, the rate, and the interval (start end). In
> a perfect world, I would be able to retrieve the account information
> from the Customer/Job - which asset account and which income account get
> involved. In a pinch, I guess I could instead just have the dialog do
> that for now.
>
> The second dialog would be involved during the creation of the invoice.
> It'd ask for which Hours Bank asset account to debit, and show a list of
> transactions; clicking on more than one would cause them to be summed
> for the invoice line item.

I like the idea, but at least for now: why not just create invoices, don't
post them, and add entries (line items) to the invoice for each time
block. Then you don't need a complicated Hours Bank.

  -Ariel

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

Luigi Bai-3

Ariel wrote, On 02/05/2007 04:07 PM:

> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Luigi Bai wrote:
>
>> As a consultant, one thing I miss from my old program is tracking time.
>> I'm hacking it right now by having an asset account called "Hours Bank"
>> which has an entry for each time interval; the value is interval * rate,
>> and the memo documents the interval. Each entry is a transfer from the
>> correct income account. (This is of course hand calculated for now). My
>> invoice posts items against the Hours Bank, which moves the asset to
>> A/R. This works nicely in terms of tying up correctly; however, I'm not
>> entirely sure that the Hours Bank is a real asset (although I guess they
>> are - they're not invoiced yet but can be, according to the contract).
>> The "Hours Bank" account doesn't work if it's an A/R account.

[snip] I don't like the GUI idea much any more. :-)

> I like the idea, but at least for now: why not just create invoices,
> don't post them, and add entries (line items) to the invoice for each
> time block. Then you don't need a complicated Hours Bank.
>
>     -Ariel

I like your idea - except that I wanted a way to "roll up" intervals
over a period (week, two weeks) without losing the original intervals.
So I want the best of both worlds.

If I could figure out how to take gnotime XML and XSL it into OFX, I can
populate the "Hours Bank" pretty easily. I could probably also get the
XSLT to do the roll-ups, so the line items show up in Hours Bank already
calculated. Then all I have to do is make the invoice mirror that (by hand).

I realize that probably the best thing to do is to figure out how to use
XSLT to create a guile "program" that I could just load with --load, and
which would create the invoice with the line items just the way I'd want
them. Unfortunately, I'm not a scheme/guile programmer, and in the short
term I don't have the time to get up on the learning curve to see if
it's even feasible to do (I'm not sure if the appropriate invoice
manipulations are available in scheme).

Luigi

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

Eric Ladner-2
I have some experience with XSLT if you want me to take a stab at it
(gnotime XML and OFX example data would be nice) and if you are not in
a terrible hurry.

Eric

On 2/5/07, Luigi Bai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ariel wrote, On 02/05/2007 04:07 PM:
> >

> > On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Luigi Bai wrote:
> >
> >> As a consultant, one thing I miss from my old program is tracking time.
> >> I'm hacking it right now by having an asset account called "Hours Bank"
> >> which has an entry for each time interval; the value is interval * rate,
> >> and the memo documents the interval. Each entry is a transfer from the
> >> correct income account. (This is of course hand calculated for now). My
> >> invoice posts items against the Hours Bank, which moves the asset to
> >> A/R. This works nicely in terms of tying up correctly; however, I'm not
> >> entirely sure that the Hours Bank is a real asset (although I guess they
> >> are - they're not invoiced yet but can be, according to the contract).
> >> The "Hours Bank" account doesn't work if it's an A/R account.
> >>

> [snip] I don't like the GUI idea much any more. :-)
>
> > I like the idea, but at least for now: why not just create invoices,
> > don't post them, and add entries (line items) to the invoice for each
> > time block. Then you don't need a complicated Hours Bank.
> >
> >     -Ariel
> >

> I like your idea - except that I wanted a way to "roll up" intervals
> over a period (week, two weeks) without losing the original intervals.
> So I want the best of both worlds.
>
> If I could figure out how to take gnotime XML and XSL it into OFX, I can
> populate the "Hours Bank" pretty easily. I could probably also get the
> XSLT to do the roll-ups, so the line items show up in Hours Bank already
> calculated. Then all I have to do is make the invoice mirror that (by hand).
>
> I realize that probably the best thing to do is to figure out how to use
> XSLT to create a guile "program" that I could just load with --load, and
> which would create the invoice with the line items just the way I'd want
> them. Unfortunately, I'm not a scheme/guile programmer, and in the short
> term I don't have the time to get up on the learning curve to see if
> it's even feasible to do (I'm not sure if the appropriate invoice
> manipulations are available in scheme).
>
> Luigi

Eric Ladner

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

Luigi Bai-3
Eric Ladner wrote, On 02/05/2007 05:33 PM:
> I have some experience with XSLT if you want me to take a stab at it
> (gnotime XML and OFX example data would be nice) and if you are not in
> a terrible hurry.
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,

Okay, that'd be nice; I'm attaching an excerpt of some gnotime data.
Don't know the OFX that would correspond to it.

In the meantime, I'm also pretty facile with XSLT, but don't know where
to start on the guile side; if you have any suggestions maybe we can
both take a cut at it and compare notes at the end.

> On 2/5/07, Luigi Bai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Ariel wrote, On 02/05/2007 04:07 PM:

>> time.
>> Bank"
>> rate,
>> now). My
>> not
>> they
>> >>

>> [snip] I don't like the GUI idea much any more. :-)
>>
>> > I like the idea, but at least for now: why not just create invoices,
>> > don't post them, and add entries (line items) to the invoice for each
>> > time block. Then you don't need a complicated Hours Bank.
>> >
>> >     -Ariel
>> >

>> I like your idea - except that I wanted a way to "roll up" intervals
>> over a period (week, two weeks) without losing the original intervals.
>> So I want the best of both worlds.
>>
>> If I could figure out how to take gnotime XML and XSL it into OFX, I can
>> populate the "Hours Bank" pretty easily. I could probably also get the
>> XSLT to do the roll-ups, so the line items show up in Hours Bank already
>> calculated. Then all I have to do is make the invoice mirror that (by
>> hand).
>>
>> I realize that probably the best thing to do is to figure out how to use
>> XSLT to create a guile "program" that I could just load with --load, and
>> which would create the invoice with the line items just the way I'd want
>> them. Unfortunately, I'm not a scheme/guile programmer, and in the short
>> term I don't have the time to get up on the learning curve to see if
>> it's even feasible to do (I'm not sure if the appropriate invoice
>> manipulations are available in scheme).
>>
>> Luigi

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gtt:gtt xmlns:gtt="file:/usr/share/gnotime/gtt.dtd" version="1.0.1">
  <gtt:project-list>
    <gtt:project>
      <title>Project 1</title>
      <guid>7ebcf1e112679b1b8925497db3fb139d</guid>
      <desc>Project #1</desc>
      <id>1</id>
      <billrate>10</billrate>
      <overtime_rate>15</overtime_rate>
      <overover_rate>20</overover_rate>
      <flat_fee>1000</flat_fee>
      <min_interval>3</min_interval>
      <auto_merge_interval>60</auto_merge_interval>
      <auto_merge_gap>60</auto_merge_gap>
      <estimated_start>-1</estimated_start>
      <estimated_end>-1</estimated_end>
      <due_date>-1</due_date>
      <sizing>0</sizing>
      <percent_complete>0</percent_complete>
      <urgency>UNDEFINED</urgency>
      <importance>UNDEFINED</importance>
      <status>NOT_STARTED</status>
      <gtt:task-list>
        <gtt:task>
          <guid>3995a5c8332c0c4332c53a0d3f6fde9f</guid>
          <memo>New Diary Entry</memo>
          <bill_unit>900</bill_unit>
          <billable>BILLABLE</billable>
          <billrate>REGULAR</billrate>
          <billstatus>BILL</billstatus>
        </gtt:task>
      </gtt:task-list>
    </gtt:project>
    <gtt:project>
      <title>Project #2</title>
      <guid>c4f025fb90888aa7d59b76679b574af7</guid>
      <desc>Billed weekly</desc>
      <id>2</id>
      <billrate>100</billrate>
      <overtime_rate>100</overtime_rate>
      <overover_rate>100</overover_rate>
      <flat_fee>0</flat_fee>
      <min_interval>3</min_interval>
      <auto_merge_interval>60</auto_merge_interval>
      <auto_merge_gap>60</auto_merge_gap>
      <estimated_start>1170451140</estimated_start>
      <estimated_end>1170454740</estimated_end>
      <due_date>1170537540</due_date>
      <sizing>0</sizing>
      <percent_complete>0</percent_complete>
      <urgency>UNDEFINED</urgency>
      <importance>UNDEFINED</importance>
      <status>IN_PROGRESS</status>
      <gtt:task-list>
        <gtt:task>
          <guid>5b0e9417b6857f7db5dc0e27498b781d</guid>
          <memo>Week ending 11 feb 2007</memo>
          <bill_unit>900</bill_unit>
          <billable>BILLABLE</billable>
          <billrate>REGULAR</billrate>
          <billstatus>BILL</billstatus>
        </gtt:task>
        <gtt:task>
          <guid>8026d2b8857cd8cdc2029aae112b8a32</guid>
          <memo>Week ending 28 jan 2007</memo>
          <bill_unit>900</bill_unit>
          <billable>BILLABLE</billable>
          <billrate>REGULAR</billrate>
          <billstatus>BILL</billstatus>
          <gtt:interval-list>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1169582400</start>
              <stop>1169593200</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1169559000</start>
              <stop>1169562600</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1169665200</start>
              <stop>1169677800</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1169645400</start>
              <stop>1169649000</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1169751600</start>
              <stop>1169762400</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1169733600</start>
              <stop>1169744400</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1169838000</start>
              <stop>1169848800</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1169472600</start>
              <stop>1169488800</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
          </gtt:interval-list>
        </gtt:task>
        <gtt:task>
          <guid>74a61393b3d72d28ea7e93ab5e1bd98f</guid>
          <memo>Week ending 04 feb 2007</memo>
          <bill_unit>900</bill_unit>
          <billable>BILLABLE</billable>
          <billrate>REGULAR</billrate>
          <billstatus>BILL</billstatus>
          <gtt:interval-list>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1170097200</start>
              <stop>1170108000</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1170082800</start>
              <stop>1170088200</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1170180000</start>
              <stop>1170194400</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1170439200</start>
              <stop>1170446400</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1170270000</start>
              <stop>1170280800</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1170252000</start>
              <stop>1170259200</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1170360000</start>
              <stop>1170367200</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
            <gtt:interval>
              <start>1170345600</start>
              <stop>1170349200</stop>
              <fuzz>0</fuzz>
              <running>F</running>
            </gtt:interval>
          </gtt:interval-list>
        </gtt:task>
      </gtt:task-list>
    </gtt:project>
  </gtt:project-list>
</gtt:gtt>

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

Cam Ellison
Luigi Bai wrote:

> Eric Ladner wrote, On 02/05/2007 05:33 PM:
>> I have some experience with XSLT if you want me to take a stab at it
>> (gnotime XML and OFX example data would be nice) and if you are not in
>> a terrible hurry.
>>
>> Eric
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> Okay, that'd be nice; I'm attaching an excerpt of some gnotime data.
> Don't know the OFX that would correspond to it.
>
> In the meantime, I'm also pretty facile with XSLT, but don't know where
> to start on the guile side; if you have any suggestions maybe we can
> both take a cut at it and compare notes at the end.

While we're on the topic of using XSLT, has anyone made progress on
converting GnuCash XML to CSV?  Or are we better off waiting for the GD
backend?  I'm having to hand off my treasurer duties to someone else
soon, who cannot be guaranteed to run GC.

Thanks

Cam

--
Cam Ellison, Ph.D. R.Psych. #1417

Cam Ellison & Associates Ltd.
3446 Beach Avenue
Roberts Creek BC      V0N 2W2
Phone:           604-885-4806
Fax:             604-885-4809

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

Quoting Luigi Bai <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Okay, that'd be nice; I'm attaching an excerpt of some gnotime data.
> Don't know the OFX that would correspond to it.

I'm not at all convinced that OFX would be the appropriate way
to load invoice data into gnucash..

> In the meantime, I'm also pretty facile with XSLT, but don't know where
> to start on the guile side; if you have any suggestions maybe we can
> both take a cut at it and compare notes at the end.

GnuCash doesn't really have a way to execute arbitrary scheme code
anymore..  This was turned off in 2.0.  But if you're working off
SVN Trunk then the names are pretty much the same as the C code, but
with underscores changed to dashes..  So gnc_foo_bar would be (gnc-foo-bar ..)

On the other hand, I do believe that GnuCash should have some interface
in order to import invoice data from someplace like GnoTime.  I don't
know what that interface would (or should) look like.  At one point
there was an interest in using QSF to do that kind of import, but
that developer went away before the code was completed.  Maybe it could
get resurrected, or something else put into its place.

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

http://gnucashtoqif.sourceforge.net/

> Thanks

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

Cam Ellison
Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Cam Ellison <[hidden email]>:
>
>> While we're on the topic of using XSLT, has anyone made progress on
>> converting GnuCash XML to CSV?  Or are we better off waiting for the GD
>> backend?  I'm having to hand off my treasurer duties to someone else
>> soon, who cannot be guaranteed to run GC.
>
> http://gnucashtoqif.sourceforge.net/

Cool.

Thank you again.

Cam

--
Cam Ellison, Ph.D. R.Psych. #1417

Cam Ellison & Associates Ltd.
3446 Beach Avenue
Roberts Creek BC      V0N 2W2
Phone:           604-885-4806
Fax:             604-885-4809

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

Luigi Bai-3
Derek Atkins wrote, On 02/05/2007 07:39 PM:

> GnuCash doesn't really have a way to execute arbitrary scheme code
> anymore..  This was turned off in 2.0.  But if you're working off
> SVN Trunk then the names are pretty much the same as the C code, but
> with underscores changed to dashes..  So gnc_foo_bar would be
> (gnc-foo-bar ..)
>
> On the other hand, I do believe that GnuCash should have some interface
> in order to import invoice data from someplace like GnoTime.  I don't
> know what that interface would (or should) look like.  At one point
> there was an interest in using QSF to do that kind of import, but
> that developer went away before the code was completed.  Maybe it could
> get resurrected, or something else put into its place.
>
> -derek

Can the ~/.gnucash/config.user (load-from-path XXX) method load in
scheme for the UI (other than reports)? IE, can I use that to manipulate
the toolbar or the menu system?

Why was --load turned off for 2.0? Seems like it must have been rather
useful for scripting interaction with GnuCash?

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

Derek Atkins
Quoting Luigi Bai <[hidden email]>:

> Can the ~/.gnucash/config.user (load-from-path XXX) method load in
> scheme for the UI (other than reports)? IE, can I use that to manipulate
> the toolbar or the menu system?

I dont recall what interfaces are exposed.  I know you can get into the
Report menus, but I don't know what (if any) other menus you can get
into via Scheme.  And I don't think you can get into toolbars from
Scheme.

HOWEVER, if your goal is to get into a menu item, why not design a
"portable invoice format" and create an importer (in C) that will
load the portable format file and install it into GnuCash's database?

> Why was --load turned off for 2.0? Seems like it must have been rather
> useful for scripting interaction with GnuCash?

It was turned off because nobody used it.  We had no examples
of people actually using it.  So we turned off functionality
that wasn't being used and wasn't being tested.  And surprise!  Nobody
complained about the lack of functionality!  (well, okay, maybe one
person asked about it).

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

ddougan
On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 20:39 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> On the other hand, I do believe that GnuCash should have some interface
> in order to import invoice data from someplace like GnoTime.  I don't
> know what that interface would (or should) look like.  At one point
> there was an interest in using QSF to do that kind of import, but
> that developer went away before the code was completed.  Maybe it could
> get resurrected, or something else put into its place.

Is it feasible for this to be generic and mappable? I currently use
SugarCRM to track client engagements (using "Cases"). These are stored
in a MySQL database, and it would be great to be able to read from the
database to populate the invoice fields. Perhaps when the GD back-end is
complete?

Regards,

Des
--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-980-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support

Re: Time tracking in GnuCash

Derek Atkins
Des Dougan <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 20:39 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> On the other hand, I do believe that GnuCash should have some interface
>> in order to import invoice data from someplace like GnoTime.  I don't
>> know what that interface would (or should) look like.  At one point
>> there was an interest in using QSF to do that kind of import, but
>> that developer went away before the code was completed.  Maybe it could
>> get resurrected, or something else put into its place.
>
> Is it feasible for this to be generic and mappable? I currently use
> SugarCRM to track client engagements (using "Cases"). These are stored
> in a MySQL database, and it would be great to be able to read from the
> database to populate the invoice fields. Perhaps when the GD back-end is
> complete?

I dont think the GDA-backend will help here.  As for making it
"mapable", well, that depends on how it's done.  You could always
call it mapable by writing a conduit to convert from your source
format to the 'invoice import' format.  And then gnucash loads
that (one) format.  That would qualify as mapable, but it would
require writing different conduits for each source application.
However, personally, I think that's just fine.