Time Frame on Wiki Edits

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Hello,

Two weeks ago, after a flurry of discussion in this list, I and Don (doncram) worked to put together a modified wiki landing page, which was placed as a sandbox page at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox>.

Since that time, there has been no further activity on any front, and although two weeks is not a very long time to let this season (as it were), I do wonder whether the Developer team has any sense of what amount of time constitutes “the right” amount of time for such a proposal to sit before the changes are sent live. I’d like to get the page pushed out before it gets lost in the mists of time…

David

@doncram: once it’s time to move this along, how exactly does one convert the sandbox to its real counterpart?

Re: Time Frame on Wiki Edits

Adrien Monteleone
I see a few typos and grammatical errors, so I wouldn’t say it’s ready for publication yet.

As for organization, perhaps change [Scripting and Programming] to [“Advanced” Usage] or [“Advanced” Usage - Scripting & Programming]

I’d expect to find the info on Logging and Stack Trace to be either under Help or Filing Bugs. You could then probably eliminate the odd sounding ‘Error Seaching’ (sic) heading.

Also the way [Getting Involved in the Project] reads, the rest of the material that follows should be nested under it, which might be odd. Perhaps just keep the sentence but remove that heading entirely. It doesn’t seem necessary. Or since all of those topics including developing code are "getting involved” replace the main heading—[Developing for GnuCash] with [Getting Involved in the Project] or something similar like [Contributing to GnuCash]. The other headings and text can remain as is.

Overall though, this is laid out much better than the current version.

-Adrien

> On Jun 13, 2017, at 11:17 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Two weeks ago, after a flurry of discussion in this list, I and Don (doncram) worked to put together a modified wiki landing page, which was placed as a sandbox page at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox>.
>
> Since that time, there has been no further activity on any front, and although two weeks is not a very long time to let this season (as it were), I do wonder whether the Developer team has any sense of what amount of time constitutes “the right” amount of time for such a proposal to sit before the changes are sent live. I’d like to get the page pushed out before it gets lost in the mists of time…
>
> David
>
> @doncram: once it’s time to move this along, how exactly does one convert the sandbox to its real counterpart?

Re: Time Frame on Wiki Edits

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve modified the page and incorporated most of your changes. If there are specific typos or grammatical errors, could you either fix them or point them out? My eyes aren’t what they used to be!

David

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 12:02 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I see a few typos and grammatical errors, so I wouldn’t say it’s ready for publication yet.
>
> As for organization, perhaps change [Scripting and Programming] to [“Advanced” Usage] or [“Advanced” Usage - Scripting & Programming]
>
> I’d expect to find the info on Logging and Stack Trace to be either under Help or Filing Bugs. You could then probably eliminate the odd sounding ‘Error Seaching’ (sic) heading.
>
> Also the way [Getting Involved in the Project] reads, the rest of the material that follows should be nested under it, which might be odd. Perhaps just keep the sentence but remove that heading entirely. It doesn’t seem necessary. Or since all of those topics including developing code are "getting involved” replace the main heading—[Developing for GnuCash] with [Getting Involved in the Project] or something similar like [Contributing to GnuCash]. The other headings and text can remain as is.
>
> Overall though, this is laid out much better than the current version.
>
> -Adrien
>

>> On Jun 13, 2017, at 11:17 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Two weeks ago, after a flurry of discussion in this list, I and Don (doncram) worked to put together a modified wiki landing page, which was placed as a sandbox page at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox>.
>>
>> Since that time, there has been no further activity on any front, and although two weeks is not a very long time to let this season (as it were), I do wonder whether the Developer team has any sense of what amount of time constitutes “the right” amount of time for such a proposal to sit before the changes are sent live. I’d like to get the page pushed out before it gets lost in the mists of time…
>>
>> David
>>
>> @doncram: once it’s time to move this along, how exactly does one convert the sandbox to its real counterpart?

Re: Time Frame on Wiki Edits

Adrien Monteleone
Sure, I’ll need to sign up for an account first. I’m heading out of town till Thursday and will get to it when I get back.

-Adrien

On dinsdag 13 juni 2017 18:17:08 CEST David T. via gnucash-devel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Two weeks ago, after a flurry of discussion in this list, I and Don
> (doncram) worked to put together a modified wiki landing page, which was
> placed as a sandbox page at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox
> <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox>.
>
> Since that time, there has been no further activity on any front, and
> although two weeks is not a very long time to let this season (as it were),
> I do wonder whether the Developer team has any sense of what amount of time
> constitutes “the right” amount of time for such a proposal to sit before
> the changes are sent live. I’d like to get the page pushed out before it
> gets lost in the mists of time…
>
> David
>
> @doncram: once it’s time to move this along, how exactly does one convert
> the sandbox to its real counterpart?

David et al,

Thanks a lot for working on this!

I have read through the page and have no remarks. I find it comfortable to
read and well structured, so good to go live IMO.

As for replacing the original home page eventually, I suppose it's a matter of
deleting the old one and moving the new one in place. These are wikimedia
operations I presume reserved to the wiki admins. Unless @doncram has another
proposal ?

Re: Time Frame on Wiki Edits

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Geert and others,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I’d like to see the sandbox page moved in place as the new wiki landing page. Could someone with edit rights do this? This page is locked for editing by normal users.

David

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 12:02 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I see a few typos and grammatical errors, so I wouldn’t say it’s ready for publication yet.
>
> As for organization, perhaps change [Scripting and Programming] to [“Advanced” Usage] or [“Advanced” Usage - Scripting & Programming]
>
> I’d expect to find the info on Logging and Stack Trace to be either under Help or Filing Bugs. You could then probably eliminate the odd sounding ‘Error Seaching’ (sic) heading.
>
> Also the way [Getting Involved in the Project] reads, the rest of the material that follows should be nested under it, which might be odd. Perhaps just keep the sentence but remove that heading entirely. It doesn’t seem necessary. Or since all of those topics including developing code are "getting involved” replace the main heading—[Developing for GnuCash] with [Getting Involved in the Project] or something similar like [Contributing to GnuCash]. The other headings and text can remain as is.
>
> Overall though, this is laid out much better than the current version.
>
> -Adrien
>

>> On Jun 13, 2017, at 11:17 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Two weeks ago, after a flurry of discussion in this list, I and Don (doncram) worked to put together a modified wiki landing page, which was placed as a sandbox page at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox>.
>>
>> Since that time, there has been no further activity on any front, and although two weeks is not a very long time to let this season (as it were), I do wonder whether the Developer team has any sense of what amount of time constitutes “the right” amount of time for such a proposal to sit before the changes are sent live. I’d like to get the page pushed out before it gets lost in the mists of time…
>>
>> David
>>
>> @doncram: once it’s time to move this along, how exactly does one convert the sandbox to its real counterpart?

Re: Time Frame on Wiki Edits

Adrien Monteleone
David,

It seems the edits you committed took care of most of the spelling/grammatical errors I noticed. I fixed a remaining one in the External Documentation section.

Concerning content, do we still need to point to the three ‘particular enhancement’ discussions at the bottom of the page? If anything, perhaps they should be listed under Old Discussions since all three of them have been implemented and their pages are dated by several years to a decade. I’d also think the Concept Guide link should perhaps have more to do with Documentation than an application feature. Perhaps it should be under Developing Documentation, or even not on this page at all and linked from the Developing Documentation page.

Just a thought.

> On Jun 14, 2017, at 9:01 AM, David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I’ve modified the page and incorporated most of your changes. If there are specific typos or grammatical errors, could you either fix them or point them out? My eyes aren’t what they used to be!
>
> David
>
>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 12:02 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I see a few typos and grammatical errors, so I wouldn’t say it’s ready for publication yet.
>>
>> As for organization, perhaps change [Scripting and Programming] to [“Advanced” Usage] or [“Advanced” Usage - Scripting & Programming]
>>
>> I’d expect to find the info on Logging and Stack Trace to be either under Help or Filing Bugs. You could then probably eliminate the odd sounding ‘Error Seaching’ (sic) heading.
>>
>> Also the way [Getting Involved in the Project] reads, the rest of the material that follows should be nested under it, which might be odd. Perhaps just keep the sentence but remove that heading entirely. It doesn’t seem necessary. Or since all of those topics including developing code are "getting involved” replace the main heading—[Developing for GnuCash] with [Getting Involved in the Project] or something similar like [Contributing to GnuCash]. The other headings and text can remain as is.
>>
>> Overall though, this is laid out much better than the current version.
>>
>> -Adrien
>>

>>> On Jun 13, 2017, at 11:17 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Two weeks ago, after a flurry of discussion in this list, I and Don (doncram) worked to put together a modified wiki landing page, which was placed as a sandbox page at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash/sandbox>.
>>>
>>> Since that time, there has been no further activity on any front, and although two weeks is not a very long time to let this season (as it were), I do wonder whether the Developer team has any sense of what amount of time constitutes “the right” amount of time for such a proposal to sit before the changes are sent live. I’d like to get the page pushed out before it gets lost in the mists of time…
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>> @doncram: once it’s time to move this along, how exactly does one convert the sandbox to its real counterpart?

Re: Time Frame on Wiki Edits

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Adrien,

Thanks for the input.

If it were up to me, I would delete the wiki Concept Guide and all its related pages and references, but others in the community disagree with me on that. [Aside: I will note that this link—present on the Wiki main landing page—is a direct contradiction to Frank’s assertions that this outdated erroneous information is hidden to the general public.]

As for the other two sections, it seems to me that we as a community need to have a clear sense of what we want to do with old discussions about features that may or may not have been implemented. I believe that the history can be useful, but the way it is integrated right now is troubling to me. The information gets into the wiki in current discussion form, and then never gets turned into historical narrative, making it seem as if discussions from 2002 about what budgeting might be (in 2002) are actually current.

David

> On Jun 20, 2017, at 12:07 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David,
>
> It seems the edits you committed took care of most of the spelling/grammatical errors I noticed. I fixed a remaining one in the External Documentation section.
>
> Concerning content, do we still need to point to the three ‘particular enhancement’ discussions at the bottom of the page? If anything, perhaps they should be listed under Old Discussions since all three of them have been implemented and their pages are dated by several years to a decade. I’d also think the Concept Guide link should perhaps have more to do with Documentation than an application feature. Perhaps it should be under Developing Documentation, or even not on this page at all and linked from the Developing Documentation page.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 9:01 AM, David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback. I’ve modified the page and incorporated most of your changes. If there are specific typos or grammatical errors, could you either fix them or point them out? My eyes aren’t what they used to be!
>>
>> David
>>
>>> On Jun 14, 2017, at 12:02 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I see a few typos and grammatical errors, so I wouldn’t say it’s ready for publication yet.
>>>
>>> As for organization, perhaps change [Scripting and Programming] to [“Advanced” Usage] or [“Advanced” Usage - Scripting & Programming]
>>>
>>> I’d expect to find the info on Logging and Stack Trace to be either under Help or Filing Bugs. You could then probably eliminate the odd sounding ‘Error Seaching’ (sic) heading.
>>>
>>> Also the way [Getting Involved in the Project] reads, the rest of the material that follows should be nested under it, which might be odd. Perhaps just keep the sentence but remove that heading entirely. It doesn’t seem necessary. Or since all of those topics including developing code are "getting involved” replace the main heading—[Developing for GnuCash] with [Getting Involved in the Project] or something similar like [Contributing to GnuCash]. The other headings and text can remain as is.
>>>
>>> Overall though, this is laid out much better than the current version.
>>>
>>> -Adrien

Re: OT "Concept Guide"; was: Time Frame on Wiki Edits

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hi David,

Am 20.06.2017 um 04:59 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
> [Aside: I will note that this link—present on the Wiki main landing page—is a direct contradiction to Frank’s assertions that this outdated erroneous information is hidden to the general public.]

You are confounding "Concept Guide draft" /Overview etc., which became
part of the docs [1], with [How to work on the] "Concept Guide" both by
former documenter BengtT from 2006 . The latter is linked and got
regular updates by the respective documenters.

[1]
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-docs/commit/fcd8658edf9140ab1e54156bac3551c23ba3b9a1
ff.

HTH
Frank

Re: OT "Concept Guide"; was: Time Frame on Wiki Edits

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Frank,
Indeed, I am wrong. I apologize for the inaccurate noise.
David

  On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 7:54, Frank H. Ellenberger<[hidden email]> wrote:   Hi David,

On maandag 19 juni 2017 19:10:39 CEST David T. via gnucash-devel wrote:

> Geert and others,
>
> Thanks for the vote of confidence.
>
> I’d like to see the sandbox page moved in place as the new wiki landing
> page. Could someone with edit rights do this? This page is locked for
> editing by normal users.
>
> David

David,

With some delay I have now replaced the contents of our wiki home page with
your work. Thanks again!