Tab usage suggestion solicted...

randix
I'm using the latest versionn of GnuCash on Windows 10.

I have lots of tabs open, especially saved reports. Scrolling from left to right, or right to left, to access a particular tab (I generally know where I want to go, as I always use the same tab order), is a pain because of the length all the tabs take up across the screen.  Is there a trick or what do others do to jump from tab to tab easily, other than scrolling, or is there no other options, creative or otherwise?  And I've tried shortening the name of the tabs as much as possible, so looking at options other than that one which I assume is the obvious answer...

Thanks...  Steve

Re: Tab usage suggestion solicted...

David Carlson-4
Steve,

Right click on any tab and the list of tabs appears in a drop-down list.
You then scroll vertically instead of horizontally and you do not wait for
each page to load.

David C

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm using the latest versionn of GnuCash on Windows 10.
>
> I have lots of tabs open, especially saved reports. Scrolling from left to
> right, or right to left, to access a particular tab (I generally know where
> I want to go, as I always use the same tab order), is a pain because of the
> length all the tabs take up across the screen.  Is there a trick or what do
> others do to jump from tab to tab easily, other than scrolling, or is there
> no other options, creative or otherwise?  And I've tried shortening the
> name
> of the tabs as much as possible, so looking at options other than that one
> which I assume is the obvious answer...
>
> Thanks...  Steve

Re: Tab usage suggestion solicted...

GnuCash - User mailing list
Edit your preferences, and put the tabs on the left side of the screen.

randix
Thanks, David. Putting the tabs on the side rather than on the top, definitely works.  Never even occurred to me after years of using the program.  Thank you...  S

Re: Tab usage suggestion solicted...

David Carlson-4
David T.

I did not think of your solution.
However, it does not work well for me because I have very long strings in
descriptions, memos, notes, and Accounts.  It takes a lot of horizontal
space away mostly from the description field because it is the column that
shrinks as required to hide the horizontal scroll bar.

I imagine that it can work well for many users.

David C

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, David. Putting the tabs on the side rather than on the top,
> definitely works.  Never even occurred to me after years of using the
> program.  Thank you...  S

Re: Tab usage suggestion solicted...

John Morris
  I also have fairly long account names, so I would not want to have to use the tabs on the side to be able to scroll between tabs. Fortunately, scrolling vertically also works to move between tabs when the tabs are set at the top of the window.

  The other feature I like about scrolling through the tabs is that GnuCash does not need to be frontmost for it to work. I can be in my bank's website clicking from account to account and still switch from one tab to another in GnuCash without bringing it forward. I just have to get my mouse pointer into the tab area of the GnuCash window.

Best,
John