Suggestion

Sam McCoy
   Gentlemen:

   I have noticed the time it takes to load all the modules when starting
   up Gnu Cash. Many of these modules have names that suggests they
   support business activities. I believe there are many users (loke me)
   that use gnu cash strictly for personal finances. I would therefore
   like to suggest to the developers that a smaller version of Gnu Cash be
   considered that would be sans business support, i.e invoicing, customer
   db, etc. The resulting module would be smaller and load more quickly.
   Thanks for providing me with the best damn program on planet earth.

   Al Trudeau

Re: Suggestion

Geert Janssens-4
On zondag 6 augustus 2017 16:46:24 CEST Sam McCoy wrote:

>    Gentlemen:
>
>    I have noticed the time it takes to load all the modules when starting
>    up Gnu Cash. Many of these modules have names that suggests they
>    support business activities. I believe there are many users (loke me)
>    that use gnu cash strictly for personal finances. I would therefore
>    like to suggest to the developers that a smaller version of Gnu Cash be
>    considered that would be sans business support, i.e invoicing, customer
>    db, etc. The resulting module would be smaller and load more quickly.
>    Thanks for providing me with the best damn program on planet earth.
>
>    Al Trudeau

Hi Sam,

I'm happy you enjoy using gnucash.

As to your suggestion I am about to integrate some code changes that drop the
separate business modules and integrate all of that code into the core of
gnucash. Rather the opposite of what you are asking. The reason for this is
that most of the business functionality is already part of the gnucash core.
The only things still in the loadable modules you see at startup were some gui
related bits and pieces.

Instead I would like to ask: have you actually timed the loading of the
business modules in the whole of the startup time ? I have my doubts whether
removing them will have a noticeable improvement on the load performance.

Having said all that however, I do agree it would be very nice to improve the
load performance. John Ralls has looked at this in the past and from that work
I remember most time is lost because gnucash makes plenty of jumps between c
code and guile code, not due to the loading of one random module in itself.
Work is on the way to improve this, but we're not there yet. There are several
aspects that are planned in this respect:
1. the use of guile will be reduced in the core
2. module loading will probably be revisited at some point
3. the long term goal is to make gnucash a database driven application, to
eliminate the slow load time of the data file itself

Re: Suggestion

aegross
>><quote author="Geert Janssens-4">
On zondag 6 augustus 2017 16:46:24 CEST Sam McCoy wrote:
>    Gentlemen:
>
>    I have noticed the time it takes to load all the modules when starting
>    up Gnu Cash.

FWIW, I have anecdotally noticed that by far the longest module required to load is Finance::Quote, which strictly speaking, is not GnuCash code.

Regards,
AEG

Re: Suggestion

Greg Feneis
Also FWIW, I just started GnuCash V...16 (not quite the latest) on my 6
year old Win 7 laptop and it only took 25 Seconds to get to where it begins
seconds to load, I do have a few that take quite a bit longer to load than
GnuCash does (programing, simulation, cad environments, etc.).

Are other folks having a significantly longer wait than 25 Seconds for
GnuCash to go from start to begin loading of data file?

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 2:50 PM, aegross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On zondag 6 augustus 2017 16:46:24 CEST Sam McCoy wrote:
> >    Gentlemen:
> >
> >    I have noticed the time it takes to load all the modules when starting
> >    up Gnu Cash.
>
> FWIW, I have anecdotally noticed that by far the longest module required to
> load is Finance::Quote, which strictly speaking, is not GnuCash code.
>
> Regards,
> AEG

Re: Suggestion

David Carlson-4
For me the time to move, decrypt, and decompress the data file and generate
the register views and report views is so much longer than loading the
program that I do not even try to measure that part.

David C

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 5:50 PM, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also FWIW, I just started GnuCash V...16 (not quite the latest) on my 6
> year old Win 7 laptop and it only took 25 Seconds to get to where it begins
> seconds to load, I do have a few that take quite a bit longer to load than
> GnuCash does (programing, simulation, cad environments, etc.).
> ​
> Are other folks having a significantly longer wait than 25 Seconds for
> GnuCash to go from start to begin loading of data file?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Greg Feneis
>

> On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 2:50 PM, aegross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On zondag 6 augustus 2017 16:46:24 CEST Sam McCoy wrote:
> > >    Gentlemen:
> > >
> > >    I have noticed the time it takes to load all the modules when
> starting
> > >    up Gnu Cash.
> >
> > FWIW, I have anecdotally noticed that by far the longest module required
> > load is Finance::Quote, which strictly speaking, is not GnuCash code.
> >
> > Regards,
> > AEG

Re: Suggestion

brad
It only takes a few seconds on my low end linux box which is also about
6 yrs old.  It takes 25 sec to be completely up and most of that time is