String not translateable in GnuCash

Tor Harald Thorland
Hello,

A couple of "failures" found in SVN r.13542:

------------------

String 2249 and 2250 are the same.

------------------
Below is a couple of things wich shows up in english, even if a string
with the text is translated. I have added the string number in my file.

The button View/Edit Customer in the find customer dialog can't be
translated. String #96

&

The button Customer's Invoices in the find customer dialog as well. I
have translated sting # 98

&

Process Payment button in the find customer cant be translated. String # 99

&

Customer's Job's in the find customers dialog cant be translated. String
# 97

&

The text "Tax Table Entries" in the Tax table editor.

&

Open a Tax/TXF Export. Choose Options on it, and choose the view tab.
The upper check box has a strange character on it. i see "Supress" then
some strange chars and "£0.00 values"

&

"Thank you for your patronage" on the invoices is not translatable.

Tor Harald

Re: String not translateable in GnuCash

Derek Atkins
Quoting Tor Harald Thorland <[hidden email]>:

> String 2249 and 2250 are the same.

So, um, what are strings 2249 and 2250?  The .pot file isn't numbered.

> ------------------
> Below is a couple of things wich shows up in english, even if a
> string with the text is translated. I have added the string number in
> my file.
>

> The button View/Edit Customer in the find customer dialog can't be
> translated. String #96
>
> The button Customer's Invoices in the find customer dialog as well. I
> have translated sting # 98
>
> Process Payment button in the find customer cant be translated. String # 99
>
> Customer's Job's in the find customers dialog cant be translated. String # 97

Do you have the same translation problem in the Find Vendor or Find Invoice
dilaogs, too?   I suspect that the search dialog isn't translating the
strings anymore.

> The text "Tax Table Entries" in the Tax table editor.

Odd, this is just a standard Glade label entry.  Perhaps you messed up
the msgid in your translation?

> "Thank you for your patronage" on the invoices is not translatable.

Okay, can you edit invoice.scm and let me know if it needs to be:
(N_ "Thank you ...") or (_ "Thank you ...")?  I don't know which one,
so a quick test by you would make my life significantly easier.  I
EXPECT it's the latter, but I don't know for sure.

Quoting Derek Atkins <[hidden email]>:

>> The button View/Edit Customer in the find customer dialog can't be
>> translated. String #96
>>
>> The button Customer's Invoices in the find customer dialog as well.
>> I have translated sting # 98
>>
>> Process Payment button in the find customer cant be translated. String # 99
>>
>> Customer's Job's in the find customers dialog cant be translated.
>> String # 97
>
> Do you have the same translation problem in the Find Vendor or Find Invoice
> dilaogs, too?   I suspect that the search dialog isn't translating the
> strings anymore.

Okay, this should be fixed in r13600.  The search dialog wasn't translating
the button labels.

Re: String not translateable in GnuCash

Quoting Derek Atkins <[hidden email]>:

>> "Thank you for your patronage" on the invoices is not translatable.
>
> Okay, can you edit invoice.scm and let me know if it needs to be:
> (N_ "Thank you ...") or (_ "Thank you ...")?  I don't know which one,
> so a quick test by you would make my life significantly easier.  I
> EXPECT it's the latter, but I don't know for sure.

Okay, I've fixed this.  It's (_ ..).  Fixed in r13602.

Re: String not translateable in GnuCash

Christian Stimming
Hi Tor,

Am Samstag, 11. März 2006 16:56 schrieb Tor Harald Thorland:
> String 2249 and 2250 are the same.

as already explain in private email: The strings in the message file are not
sorted in any way; they might be reordered on every new build and/or as soon
as someone uses different versions of gettext et al to create the message
template. Therefore the index number of the string is meaningless (and I
wonder why your po file editor shows them in the first place; it shouldn't do
so). To unambiguously reference a string, you either need to specify the full
string or you need to specify the source code file and line number as shown
in the comment to that string.

In this case I tried kbabel once, and by coincidence the string index numbers
are the same in my case, so I know what you mean. Fixed in SVN r13604.

> The text "Tax Table Entries" in the Tax table editor.

In LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 the translation shows up just fine. So either the
translation is missing or your version of libglade gets this wrong (I have
libglade2-2.5.1). Simply translate it normally, and probably with other
libglade versions this will work fine.

> Open a Tax/TXF Export. Choose Options on it, and choose the view tab.
> The upper check box has a strange character on it. i see "Supress" then
> some strange chars and "£0.00 values"

I don't see a problem there as well; in LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 the translations
shows up just fine. The original string is "Suppress $0.00 values" and I
don't see any reason for display errors here... the translated string might
accidentally contain a non-UTF8 character?

Christian