Strange OSX problems

Neil Williams-2
When running make check (with the guile16-build preface) I can't get the
gnc_modules to test correctly. It appears that OSX fails to look in
the .libs/ directory in each location.

** (process:26524): WARNING **: Failed to dlopen()
'../../../src/gnc-module/test/mod-bar/libgncmodbar.la': dlcompat: file
"../../../src/gnc-module/test/mod-bar/libgncmodbar.0.dylib" not found

That'd be because it's actually:
"../../../src/gnc-module/test/mod-bar/.libs/libgncmodbar.0.dylib"
:-(

and again and again:
** (process:26524): WARNING **: Failed to dlopen()
'../../../src/gnc-module/test/mod-baz/libgncmodbaz.la': dlcompat: file
"../../../src/gnc-module/test/mod-baz/libgncmodbaz.0.dylib" not found
etc.

  test-dynload.c: testing dynamic linking of libgncmodule ... OK
PASS: test-dynload
  test-scm-dynload: testing dynamic-link of libgncmodule from Scheme.
PASS: test-scm-dynload
  test-scm-init: testing Scheme-only module system init.
ERROR: Unbound variable: names
FAIL: test-scm-init
====================
7 of 12 tests failed
====================
make[7]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1

Also on OSX (only):

GConf setup dialog loads every time gnucash2 is started, appears
to work OK but either it's not writing the settings or not finding
them next time.

No reports can be generated from the Business data - I get Report Error
with no more information.

There are other problems in the Business module but those are replicated on my
Debian system too. I'm continuing to test - especially as there have been
recent changes in that section.

I've documented some other stuff in doc/build-osx.txt relating to automake1.4
conflicts. It seems that other applications in Fink require automake1.4 and
fink replaces automake1.9 with 1.4 every time one of these applications is
upgraded (because each is compiled from source using hints from package data)
but then does not reinstate 1.9. This can probably be sorted for the packaged
releases to OSX via Fink because the package can expressly conflict with
automake1.4. When compiling from svn, it's yet another addition to the script
to run 'sudo fink install automake1.9' before anything else can happen.

--

Neil Williams

Re: Strange OSX problems

Mike Alexander
--On January 30, 2006 12:44:19 PM +0000 Neil Williams
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> When running make check (with the guile16-build preface) I can't get
> the  gnc_modules to test correctly. It appears that OSX fails to look
> in  the .libs/ directory in each location.
>
> ** (process:26524): WARNING **: Failed to dlopen()
> '../../../src/gnc-module/test/mod-bar/libgncmodbar.la': dlcompat:
> file  "../../../src/gnc-module/test/mod-bar/libgncmodbar.0.dylib" not
> found
>
> That'd be because it's actually:
> "../../../src/gnc-module/test/mod-bar/.libs/libgncmodbar.0.dylib"
> :-(

You can get around this by setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to list all the
relevant .libs directories.  Perhaps the gnc-test-env script should be
changed to do this if it's running on Darwin.  Everything it puts in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH should probably go into DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH too.

> Also on OSX (only):
>
> GConf setup dialog loads every time gnucash2 is started, appears
> to work OK but either it's not writing the settings or not finding
> them next time.

I see this too.  I spent too much time last night trying to figure out
why but didn't.  I thought setting the config option

  --with-gconf-schema-file-dir=/sw/etc/gconf/schemas

might help, but it didn't.  Fink's gconf2 doesn't seem to have debugger
syms, but I was about to see if I can change that so I can find out
what is going on.

> I've documented some other stuff in doc/build-osx.txt relating to
> automake1.4  conflicts. It seems that other applications in Fink
> require automake1.4 and  fink replaces automake1.9 with 1.4 every
> time one of these applications is  upgraded (because each is compiled
> from source using hints from package data)  but then does not
> reinstate 1.9. This can probably be sorted for the packaged  releases
> to OSX via Fink because the package can expressly conflict with
> automake1.4. When compiling from svn, it's yet another addition to
> the script  to run 'sudo fink install automake1.9' before anything
> else can happen.

I've changed the script that builds gnucash 1.9 to issue the command

  fink -K install libgnome2-dev automake1.9 libgettext3-dev

first since other things downgrade all of these.  Using the -K option
seems to make fink keep enough stuff around that this is fast (nothing
has to be rebuilt).  Building gnucash 1.8 requires

  fink -K install gnome-libs-dev automake1.8 gettext-dev

The shared libraries necessary to run both versions don't conflict
(fortunately).  It's only building them that causes problems.

--
Mike Alexander           [hidden email]
Ann Arbor, MI            PGP key ID: BEA343A6

gconf setup weirdness [WAS: Re: Strange OSX problems]

Josh Sled
On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 13:50 -0500, Mike Alexander wrote:

> --On January 30, 2006 12:44:19 PM +0000 Neil Williams
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Also on OSX (only):
> >
> > GConf setup dialog loads every time gnucash2 is started, appears
> > to work OK but either it's not writing the settings or not finding
> > them next time.
>
> I see this too.  I spent too much time last night trying to figure out
> why but didn't.  I thought setting the config option
>
>   --with-gconf-schema-file-dir=/sw/etc/gconf/schemas
>
> might help, but it didn't.  Fink's gconf2 doesn't seem to have debugger
> syms, but I was about to see if I can change that so I can find out
> what is going on.

I don't think this is OSX-specific; it was happening to me over the
weekend. The $HOME-based setup seems to work fine, but the other way
causes the setup dialog to show up on on every gnucash start.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`