Split Transaction To Personal And Business

Split Transaction To Personal And Business

James Meade
I have one electrical meter on the house and the farm shop.  I need to
allocate a percentage of the monthly (variable) check to each account
because they have a different tax structure.  Any hints or references
appreciated on how to set up the accounts is appreciated.  I'm new to
gnucash and ignorant of accounting.  I've been using Quicken for many
years and identify the separate lines by using categories, which I think
is wrong but works for me.
Jim

Re: Split Transaction To Personal And Business

Christopher Lam
Well within the regular register there's no mechanism for inputting, e.g.
$40 electricity paid and have the system allocate among splits according to
a formula.

There's however a mechanism for inputting in a Scheduled Transaction (known
as SX), e.g. let's say 50% use is personal and 50% is business, the SX
template will be:
- Assets:Bank (Credit Formula) -billamount
- Expense:Personal:Electricity (Debit Formula) (billamount/2)
- Expense:Business:Electricity (Debit Formula) (billamount/2)
or more complex business splits
... which can pop up a periodic query for the billamount, and is then
apportioned appropriately. But as a new user it's usually best to avoid
these formula-type shortcuts.