Splash Screen Revisited

12

Splash Screen Revisited

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
I was looking on the wiki for things to help with and I saw art as one
of the options.

I wondered what art needs work.

I've read the previous comments about splash screens, and thought I'd
offer one.

www.impressusart.com/download/gnucash_splash.png

It's in keeping with the current one's design, but different.

What do you think?

Joshua Facemyer

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Chris Shoemaker
On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 01:40:52AM -0500, Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art wrote:

> I was looking on the wiki for things to help with and I saw art as one
> of the options.
>
> I wondered what art needs work.
>
> I've read the previous comments about splash screens, and thought I'd
> offer one.
>
> www.impressusart.com/download/gnucash_splash.png
>
> It's in keeping with the current one's design, but different.
>
> What do you think?

My honest first impression is negative: I can't quite tell what that
object in the foreground is.  At first, I thought it was a knife!
Now, I think it might be a letter-opener, or maybe a pen.  In any
case, it looks too similar to a weapon for my tastes.

Also, I think it'd be nice to have some consistency between the splash
screen and other places where there is art, like the website.  So, I'd
suggest either reusing the "GnuCash" word from the website, or
proposing a set of logos to replace the art on the website, too.

FWIW, I like your logo a bit better than the existing one.  Your's is
cleaner and less-funky, but I see a big value in consistency.

-chris

> Joshua Facemyer

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Christian Stimming
Am Samstag, 6. Mai 2006 08:40 schrieb Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art:

> I was looking on the wiki for things to help with and I saw art as one
> of the options.
>
> I wondered what art needs work.
>
> I've read the previous comments about splash screens, and thought I'd
> offer one.
>
> www.impressusart.com/download/gnucash_splash.png
>
> It's in keeping with the current one's design, but different.

Interesting. Thanks a lot for this new proposal. However, as Chris already has
pointed out, there are some suboptimum things here: Just as Chris, I first
thought this pen to be a knife... it should be much more clear that this is a
pen. Perhaps more something like a stylograph.

Also, although your "logo" looks very nice, you've just encoutered once again
the ever-returning internationalization vs. currency symbol issue. In other
words, the '$' simply is only the currency symbol for USD and *not* for
currencies in general or money in general. Gnucash, on the other hand, is
specifically targeted towards any currencies and not at all limited to or
emphasizing USD currency. This means any kind of logo and/or splash screen
*must not* use USD as a single/predominant currency. Or Euro, or Yen, or
Pound, for that matter... Just as a general rule: If it should be truly
international, don't use a single currency symbol.

And something that I think can still be improved for the "main part" of your
splash screen picture: You don't show anything that is particular to gnucash
in any way. That's something that was done well in the 1.8 splash screen: It
contained the pie charts as a representative for the diagrams, and an account
register. Perhaps a new splash screen should still try to include those two
elements somewhere.

Thank you very much for your contribution in any case.

Regards,

Christian

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
Thanks for your reply.

I actually updated it before you sent this email to include other
currencies, having read the discussion more thoroughly.

I guess what I want to ask is, are you interested in any further
development of this splash screen and other logo stuff by me?  If so,
I'll be glad to do so, and work to make it something that really fits.
Otherwise, I'll work on other things.

Just let me know, and if so I'll post some updates for discussion to the
list.

JF

Christian Stimming wrote:

> Am Samstag, 6. Mai 2006 08:40 schrieb Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art:
>
>> I was looking on the wiki for things to help with and I saw art as one
>> of the options.
>>
>> I wondered what art needs work.
>>
>> I've read the previous comments about splash screens, and thought I'd
>> offer one.
>>
>> www.impressusart.com/download/gnucash_splash.png
>>
>> It's in keeping with the current one's design, but different.
>>

> Interesting. Thanks a lot for this new proposal. However, as Chris already has
> pointed out, there are some suboptimum things here: Just as Chris, I first
> thought this pen to be a knife... it should be much more clear that this is a
> pen. Perhaps more something like a stylograph.
>
> Also, although your "logo" looks very nice, you've just encoutered once again
> the ever-returning internationalization vs. currency symbol issue. In other
> words, the '$' simply is only the currency symbol for USD and *not* for
> currencies in general or money in general. Gnucash, on the other hand, is
> specifically targeted towards any currencies and not at all limited to or
> emphasizing USD currency. This means any kind of logo and/or splash screen
> *must not* use USD as a single/predominant currency. Or Euro, or Yen, or
> Pound, for that matter... Just as a general rule: If it should be truly
> international, don't use a single currency symbol.
>
> And something that I think can still be improved for the "main part" of your
> splash screen picture: You don't show anything that is particular to gnucash
> in any way. That's something that was done well in the 1.8 splash screen: It
> contained the pie charts as a representative for the diagrams, and an account
> register. Perhaps a new splash screen should still try to include those two
> elements somewhere.
>
> Thank you very much for your contribution in any case.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Aaron Larson-3

CS> ... You don't show anything that is particular to gnucash in any
CS> way. That's something that was done well in the 1.8 splash screen:
CS> It contained the pie charts as a representative for the diagrams,
CS> and an account register. Perhaps a new splash screen should still
CS> try to include those two elements somewhere.

FWIW, I like the 1.8 splash screen.  Making the colors more vibrant to
highlight the new and improved graphics would be nice.

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Chris Shoemaker <[hidden email]> writes:

>> What do you think?
>
> My honest first impression is negative: I can't quite tell what that
> object in the foreground is.  At first, I thought it was a knife!

Wow, that was my first impression, too!  "Why do we have a dagger
in the splash screen?"   LOL.

I'll note that we CAN update the website logo when we release, so
don't necessarily worry about keeping them consistent when you
design a new splash screen.  Just make sure we get a new logo too ;)

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Based on other people's answers, I think the answer is Yes, we
are still interested in an updated splash screen.

-derek

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I actually updated it before you sent this email to include other
> currencies, having read the discussion more thoroughly.
>
> I guess what I want to ask is, are you interested in any further
> development of this splash screen and other logo stuff by me?  If so,
> I'll be glad to do so, and work to make it something that really fits.
> Otherwise, I'll work on other things.
>
> Just let me know, and if so I'll post some updates for discussion to the
> list.
>
> JF
>
> Christian Stimming wrote:
>> Am Samstag, 6. Mai 2006 08:40 schrieb Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art:
>>
>>> I was looking on the wiki for things to help with and I saw art as one
>>> of the options.
>>>
>>> I wondered what art needs work.
>>>
>>> I've read the previous comments about splash screens, and thought I'd
>>> offer one.
>>>
>>> www.impressusart.com/download/gnucash_splash.png
>>>
>>> It's in keeping with the current one's design, but different.
>>>

>> Interesting. Thanks a lot for this new proposal. However, as Chris already has
>> pointed out, there are some suboptimum things here: Just as Chris, I first
>> thought this pen to be a knife... it should be much more clear that this is a
>> pen. Perhaps more something like a stylograph.
>>
>> Also, although your "logo" looks very nice, you've just encoutered once again
>> the ever-returning internationalization vs. currency symbol issue. In other
>> words, the '$' simply is only the currency symbol for USD and *not* for
>> currencies in general or money in general. Gnucash, on the other hand, is
>> specifically targeted towards any currencies and not at all limited to or
>> emphasizing USD currency. This means any kind of logo and/or splash screen
>> *must not* use USD as a single/predominant currency. Or Euro, or Yen, or
>> Pound, for that matter... Just as a general rule: If it should be truly
>> international, don't use a single currency symbol.
>>
>> And something that I think can still be improved for the "main part" of your
>> splash screen picture: You don't show anything that is particular to gnucash
>> in any way. That's something that was done well in the 1.8 splash screen: It
>> contained the pie charts as a representative for the diagrams, and an account
>> register. Perhaps a new splash screen should still try to include those two
>> elements somewhere.
>>
>> Thank you very much for your contribution in any case.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Christian

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
Here's a set of graphics for further abuse.  Please beat them up so I
can make them better.

http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/icon.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner.png

JF

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Josh Sled
On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 07:23 -0500, Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
wrote:
> Here's a set of graphics for further abuse.  Please beat them up so I
> can make them better.
>
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/icon.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner.png

Likes:
- the half-graph, half-register window.
- the multiple currencies, coins, card and symbols.
- the overall colors, fonts.

Dislikes:
- the busy-ness of the background lines in the splash
- the wavy line behind the text

I'm assuming that you're providing these under a GPL-2, but as your
business is apparently art and graphics, it'd be nice to have that
clearly stated.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Bengt Thuree
On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 11:13 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 07:23 -0500, Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
> wrote:
> > Here's a set of graphics for further abuse.  Please beat them up so I
> > can make them better.
> >
> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash.png
> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/icon.png
> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo.png
> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner.png

I sure like these better than the ones we have today :)
Very good start I think.
I agree with Josh though, the wavy line and the horisontal lines I am
not to sure of.

/Bengt

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Derek Atkins
Quoting Bengt Thuree <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 11:13 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:
>> On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 07:23 -0500, Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
>> wrote:
>> > Here's a set of graphics for further abuse.  Please beat them up so I
>> > can make them better.
>> >
>> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash.png
>> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/icon.png
>> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo.png
>> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner.png
>>

> I sure like these better than the ones we have today :)
> Very good start I think.
> I agree with Josh though, the wavy line and the horisontal lines I am
> not to sure of.

The straight line doesn't bother me..

I was wondering how it would look if it looked more like a stock ticket tape?

> /Bengt

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Brian-5
On Fri, 2006-19-05 at 12:01 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Bengt Thuree <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 11:13 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:

> > I sure like these better than the ones we have today :)
> > Very good start I think.
> > I agree with Josh though, the wavy line and the horisontal lines I am
> > not to sure of.
>
> The straight line doesn't bother me..

I don't care for the horizontals much.  They may be better if they are
in the background, not the foreground, maybe a little more translucent.

> I was wondering how it would look if it looked more like a stock ticket tape?
>
> -derek

I think it might be better as well.

Overall, They are very good and certainly show off some professional art
skills.  I think they will be better than the current ones as well.

--
Brian <[hidden email]>

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Thanks.  Replied back to the list (because that's where this should've
gone).  Personally I don't mind the curvy line at the top.  I'm
not sure how I personally feel about the rest.  *shrugs*  Maybe
other's have more concrete opinions.

-derek

Quoting Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art <[hidden email]>:

> I am providing any art under the GPL license along with Gnucash.  I'm
> trying to contribute back to some great projects which have helped me in
> my business (100% open source Linux graphic design systems that I use
> every day for real stuff).
>
> As far as the lines go, I've lightened them, but if they're still too
> much, I'll take them out.
>
> I tried to make a stock tape, but it's not very good.  However, you
> can't see a whole lot at that size.  So here are a couple more.
>
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash3.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash4.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner2.png
>
> JF

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Tim Wunder (Lists)
FWIW, I like 'em.
They're better than the current 1.8x graphics, IMO (which I also like)

Tim

On Friday 19 May 2006 6:28 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Thanks.  Replied back to the list (because that's where this should've
> gone).  Personally I don't mind the curvy line at the top.  I'm
> not sure how I personally feel about the rest.  *shrugs*  Maybe
> other's have more concrete opinions.
>
> -derek
>
> Quoting Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art <[hidden email]>:
> > I am providing any art under the GPL license along with Gnucash.  I'm
> > trying to contribute back to some great projects which have helped me in
> > my business (100% open source Linux graphic design systems that I use
> > every day for real stuff).
> >
> > As far as the lines go, I've lightened them, but if they're still too
> > much, I'll take them out.
> >
> > I tried to make a stock tape, but it's not very good.  However, you
> > can't see a whole lot at that size.  So here are a couple more.
> >
> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash2.png
> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash3.png
> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash4.png
> > http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner2.png
> >
> > JF

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Chris Shoemaker
On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 07:23:37AM -0500, Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art wrote:
> Here's a set of graphics for further abuse.  Please beat them up so I
> can make them better.
>
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/icon.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner.png

These are nice!  My only comment would be about the splash.  I think
an actual splash would be only about 1/4 of that size, so I would
think about bringing the screenshot, symbols, and numbers "forward",
especially the numbers.  And I agree that the evenly spaced horizontal
lines are distracting, without offering much.

-chris

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
Sorry...I'm now sending this correctly

I *am* providing any art under the GPL license along with Gnucash.  I'm
trying to contribute back to some great projects which have helped me in
my business (100% open source Linux graphic design systems that I use
every day for real stuff).

As far as the lines go, I've lightened them and sent them back, but if
they're still too much, I'll take them out.

I tried to make a stock tape, but it's not very good.  However, you
can't see a whole lot at that size.  So here are a couple more.

http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash2.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash3.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash4.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner2.png

One question - I do need to know what size it should be.  I noticed that
Gnucash will display whatever I put in it correctly, but I should save
the final version to a reasonable size.

The reason I've saved these so large is so everyone can see the details.

JF

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Adrian Simmons-2

Well, I'm going to be a bit more opinionated than everyone else, but I do
think it's great that you're taken on the work :)

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art wrote:
> As far as the lines go, I've lightened them and sent them back, but if
> they're still too much, I'll take them out.
Yes, I think there is way too much visual clutter in this image, I think you
need to simplify things to give it more impact.

Firstly I think the logo type is a bit too weak, something bolder would I
think have more impact.

Secondly I think you ought to take the best idea you've had here an expand
it, simplifying the image in the process. Specifically I think the bank card
cash and money are great, focusing on them and making them bigger would be
nice I think. I'd love to see you make some gnu banknotes and gnu coins,
there is plenty of gnu artwork about you can use:
http://www.gnu.org/graphics/graphics.html
http://adele.gerwinski.de/~anja/gnuart/aurelio/index.html

I'd strip away the background entirely, leaving it white, or perhaps using a
single solid colour. And I'd use a lot less - possibly even none at all -
transparency (I know it's cool, but it doesn't really make any sense in this
context). I'd also like to see the strip on the bank card without
transparency and without the gradient.

Apologies for shooting down you're work so harshly, especially when I'm not
doing anything to help myself.

--
Adrian Simmons (aka adrinux) <http://adrinux.perlucida.com>
e-mail <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

David Hampton-2
On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 21:11 -0500, Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
wrote:

> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash2.png

My only concern is that it explicitly says "version 2.0".  That means
that the splash screen will have to be updated with each release (2.1,
2.2, etc).  I'm hoping these will be much more frequent than the time
interval between 1.8 and 2.0.

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Derek Atkins
Quoting David Hampton <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 21:11 -0500, Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
> wrote:
>
>> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash2.png
>
> My only concern is that it explicitly says "version 2.0".  That means
> that the splash screen will have to be updated with each release (2.1,
> 2.2, etc).  I'm hoping these will be much more frequent than the time
> interval between 1.8 and 2.0.

Good point..  the window surrounding the splash screen already has
the version number so we don't really need the version# in the graphic.

> David

Re: Splash Screen Revisited

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
Ok, makes sense, but is it okay if I use "2" for the money and credit
card graphics, which probably nobody will really see anyway since
they're so small?

If it needs to be changed later, for version 3 it can be easily done,
since it's in svg.

Maybe it will make more sense once I upload some new things I'm working on.

JF

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting David Hampton <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 21:11 -0500, Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
>> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash2.png
>>
>> My only concern is that it explicitly says "version 2.0".  That means
>> that the splash screen will have to be updated with each release (2.1,
>> 2.2, etc).  I'm hoping these will be much more frequent than the time
>> interval between 1.8 and 2.0.
>
> Good point..  the window surrounding the splash screen already has
> the version number so we don't really need the version# in the graphic.
>
>> David

12