Spending less time entering transactions, tips?

Spending less time entering transactions, tips?

Matt Kowske
I have recently taken on responsibility for several more personal
finance accounts that I'll be tracking in GnuCash (I got married -- one
of the perks I suppose ha ha). I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce
the time I spend in the program entering/correcting transactions. In
other unnamed pieces of software I've used in the past downloaded
transactions could be "trained" to automatically match a payee name and
then change the description text and category appropriately. As far as I
can tell gnc uses Bayesian matching of previous transactions to
determine the account to assign to, but you still need to go through
each transaction and correct the description if you don't like the
downloaded name.

e.g. downloaded transaction: THE FOOD SHOPPE RETAIL STORE #043

I would have to correct this to "The Food
assignment right (doesn't always work). It would be great if it would
just auto match this description and correct it for me. I don't think
this exists in GnuCash (or does it?) but I wanted to ask if there are
any user scripts or something that could assist with this. Thanks!

Re: Spending less time entering transactions, tips?

elvis-5
Hi Jmk,

I have a script that matches transaction descriptions and changes them
to what you want.

It can also add in Australian GST or I guess VAT if needed. I've never
seen a good way of inputting this in Gnucash, I wonder how other people
do it without going insane.

It operates on a qif file.

If you want I can post it or a link to it.

Cheers

On 28/11/15 23:41, jmk wrote:

> I have recently taken on responsibility for several more personal
> finance accounts that I'll be tracking in GnuCash (I got married -- one
> of the perks I suppose ha ha). I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce
> the time I spend in the program entering/correcting transactions. In
> other unnamed pieces of software I've used in the past downloaded
> transactions could be "trained" to automatically match a payee name and
> then change the description text and category appropriately. As far as I
> can tell gnc uses Bayesian matching of previous transactions to
> determine the account to assign to, but you still need to go through
> each transaction and correct the description if you don't like the
> downloaded name.
>
> e.g. downloaded transaction: THE FOOD SHOPPE RETAIL STORE #043
>
> I would have to correct this to "The Food
> assignment right (doesn't always work). It would be great if it would
> just auto match this description and correct it for me. I don't think
> this exists in GnuCash (or does it?) but I wanted to ask if there are
> any user scripts or something that could assist with this. Thanks!

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Re: Spending less time entering transactions, tips?

randix
"I have a script that matches transaction descriptions and changes them
to what you want."

I have interest in that, and I'm sure others do also... could you post?

Thanks!

Re: Spending less time entering transactions, tips?

Matt Kowske
I would also be very interested in this script, thanks.

On 11/28/2015 08:36 AM, elvis wrote:

> Hi Jmk,
>
> I have a script that matches transaction descriptions and changes them
> to what you want.
>
> It can also add in Australian GST or I guess VAT if needed. I've never
> seen a good way of inputting this in Gnucash, I wonder how other
> people do it without going insane.
>
> It operates on a qif file.
>
> If you want I can post it or a link to it.
>
> Cheers
>
> On 28/11/15 23:41, jmk wrote:
>> I have recently taken on responsibility for several more personal
>> finance accounts that I'll be tracking in GnuCash (I got married -- one
>> of the perks I suppose ha ha). I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce
>> the time I spend in the program entering/correcting transactions. In
>> other unnamed pieces of software I've used in the past downloaded
>> transactions could be "trained" to automatically match a payee name and
>> then change the description text and category appropriately. As far as I
>> can tell gnc uses Bayesian matching of previous transactions to
>> determine the account to assign to, but you still need to go through
>> each transaction and correct the description if you don't like the
>> downloaded name.
>>
>> e.g. downloaded transaction: THE FOOD SHOPPE RETAIL STORE #043
>>
>> I would have to correct this to "The Food
>> assignment right (doesn't always work). It would be great if it would
>> just auto match this description and correct it for me. I don't think
>> this exists in GnuCash (or does it?) but I wanted to ask if there are
>> any user scripts or something that could assist with this. Thanks!

Re: Spending less time entering transactions, tips?

elvis-5
Hi Steve,

https://bitbucket.org/elvisap/qifrenamer

I have posted it here. Feedback welcome.

Cheers

On 29/11/15 01:43, Steve wrote:

> "I have a script that matches transaction descriptions and changes them
> to what you want."
>
> I have interest in that, and I'm sure others do also... could you post?
>
> Thanks!

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Re: Spending less time entering transactions, tips?

Matt Kowske
This is a great script, thanks for sharing. I found that it was not
quite what I needed though so I wrote a different one that uses a
dictionary file and replaces specified search strings with payee names.
It will also assign an account/category for each matching transaction.
It works on QIF files. If anyone is interested in it I will try to clean
it up for a wider use.