Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Scott Simpson-7
I had a transaction that was listed as $28.50. I reconciled it in the
previous month. However, it was actually incorrect so I deleted it and
entered $2850.00 instead (that is, I deleted a reconciled
transaction). Now I can't reconcile my statement because my starting
balance is incorrect and it won't allow me to edit the starting
balance in the reconcile window. Additionally, I have no way of
putting the $28.50 transaction back and setting it to reconcile 'y'
since the UI won't allow me to change it that way. I wish I had never
deleted it and gotten myself into this pickle.

How is the starting balance computed and how can I fix this? Thank you.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

sunfish62
I believe that if you ignore the incorrect opening balance and reconcile to the closing balance, everything should work out fine.

Of course, I could be wrong.

David

> I had a transaction that was listed as $28.50. I reconciled
> it in the
> previous month. However, it was actually incorrect so I
> deleted it and
> entered $2850.00 instead (that is, I deleted a reconciled
> transaction). Now I can't reconcile my statement
> because my starting
> balance is incorrect and it won't allow me to edit the
> starting
> balance in the reconcile window. Additionally, I have no
> way of
> putting the $28.50 transaction back and setting it to
> reconcile 'y'
> since the UI won't allow me to change it that way. I
> wish I had never
> deleted it and gotten myself into this pickle.
>
> How is the starting balance computed and how can I fix
> this? Thank you.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Tim Wunder (Lists)
On Wednesday 06 August 2008 10:59:01 pm Scott Simpson wrote:

> I had a transaction that was listed as $28.50. I reconciled it in the
> previous month. However, it was actually incorrect so I deleted it and
> entered $2850.00 instead (that is, I deleted a reconciled
> transaction). Now I can't reconcile my statement because my starting
> balance is incorrect and it won't allow me to edit the starting
> balance in the reconcile window. Additionally, I have no way of
> putting the $28.50 transaction back and setting it to reconcile 'y'
> since the UI won't allow me to change it that way. I wish I had never
> deleted it and gotten myself into this pickle.
>
> How is the starting balance computed and how can I fix this? Thank you.
I'd do a reconciliation from the current incorrect starting balance to the
correct one, then resume normal reconciliation from that point.

HTH,
Tim

--
Fedora Core release 6 (Zod), Linux 2.6.22.14-72.fc6
KDE: 3.5.8-1 Fedora

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 10:10 PM, John R. Carter, Sr. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Try clicking on the 'y' for the current $2850.00 transaction and allow it to
> be unreconciled. Change it back to $28.50. Reconcile again. This should get
> you back to where you were.
>
> Then click on the 'y' for the $28.50 transaction and allow it to be
> unreconciled. Change it to $2850.00 and carefully also change both expense
> and income amounts. Reconcile again.

This doesn't work. Let's ignore the $2850 for a moment and just try to
replace the $28.50 reconciled transaction that I deleted. This $28.50
WAS on my statement (the bank added the difference on the next
statement). Now I ignore the current statement and try to reconcile
the old statement again. I give the same ending balance ($5675.82),
the same ending date, and I just want to convert the deleted $28.50
transaction back to 'y'. When I reconcile and click on the $28.50
transaction, then the reconciled balance is off by $28.50 (which tells
me that it IS NOT just adding up the register to display the
reconciled balance but rather storing the reconciled balance
somewhere).

I next tried uncompressing the GnuCash file, finding the deleted
transaction (which I have since readded) and then editing the state to
'y'. This too makes the reconciliation balance off by $28.50 doing the
above.

Therefore, unless I can find the location where this "reconcilation
balance" is stored and edit that, I'm permanently stuck at being off
$28.50.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Scott Simpson-7
> Except ... I think something deeper may be wrong:  Jus how did you
> manage to reconcile it and get a correct reconciled balance if the
> entry was wrong?

I didn't. The entry was $28.50 on my statement and in my account. The
difference was on the next statement. I was going to merge the two.
However, now I'm just back to trying to get the $28.50 back and
ignoring all else. I'm having no luck.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Scott Simpson-7
> I'd do a reconciliation from the current incorrect starting balance to the
> correct one, then resume normal reconciliation from that point.

That won't work because the reconciliation balance is stored
separately, it will never match and permanently be off by $28.50. I
verified this by re-entering the transaction, editing the GnuCash file
and changing the $28.50 back to 'y', and then trying to reconcile to
the same end date on the statement. This leaves a reconciliation
balance off by $28.50 even when I don't change anything on the
reconciliation page. This tells me the reconciliation balance is
cached somewhere.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Andrew Sackville-West-3
On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 10:55:59AM -0700, Scott Simpson wrote:

> > I'd do a reconciliation from the current incorrect starting balance to the
> > correct one, then resume normal reconciliation from that point.
>
> That won't work because the reconciliation balance is stored
> separately, it will never match and permanently be off by $28.50. I
> verified this by re-entering the transaction, editing the GnuCash file
> and changing the $28.50 back to 'y', and then trying to reconcile to
> the same end date on the statement. This leaves a reconciliation
> balance off by $28.50 even when I don't change anything on the
> reconciliation page. This tells me the reconciliation balance is
> cached somewhere.
mucking about in the data file is most likely *not* the way to solve
this. At this point, your best bet is to try and roll back to one of
the backup files (ending in .xac).

As I recall, the proper way to handle the situation with a mistaken
reconcile is to delete the incorrect transaction, enter the proper
transaction, *ignore* the starting balance, and then reconcile to the
proper ending balance.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Scott Simpson-7
> mucking about in the data file is most likely *not* the way to solve
> this. At this point, your best bet is to try and roll back to one of
> the backup files (ending in .xac).

Yes, I'm afraid you are right. Luckily I have backups. I'll have to
manually re-enter a month's worth of transactions. That should consume
one of my days this weekend. :-)

> As I recall, the proper way to handle the situation with a mistaken
> reconcile is to delete the incorrect transaction, enter the proper
> transaction, *ignore* the starting balance, and then reconcile to the
> proper ending balance.

This won't work. The ending balance of my account must obviously match
my statement. But as I check stuff off, the "reconcile number" is
computed and when I am done matching my statement, the reconcile
number will be off by $28.50 since it computes relative to the
previous *incorrect* value (and I can't adjust the reconcile number
because that is my original problem!). If the reconcile number is not
$0, I can't say accept. Catch-22.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Ronal B Morse
Wouldn't it be easier to enter an appropriately labeled "dummy"
transaction with an explanatory comment to offset the error, reconcile
that and get on with life?

Ron Morse

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 13:38 -0700, Scott Simpson wrote:

> > mucking about in the data file is most likely *not* the way to solve
> > this. At this point, your best bet is to try and roll back to one of
> > the backup files (ending in .xac).
>
> Yes, I'm afraid you are right. Luckily I have backups. I'll have to
> manually re-enter a month's worth of transactions. That should consume
> one of my days this weekend. :-)
>
> > As I recall, the proper way to handle the situation with a mistaken
> > reconcile is to delete the incorrect transaction, enter the proper
> > transaction, *ignore* the starting balance, and then reconcile to the
> > proper ending balance.
>
> This won't work. The ending balance of my account must obviously match
> my statement. But as I check stuff off, the "reconcile number" is
> computed and when I am done matching my statement, the reconcile
> number will be off by $28.50 since it computes relative to the
> previous *incorrect* value (and I can't adjust the reconcile number
> because that is my original problem!). If the reconcile number is not
> $0, I can't say accept. Catch-22.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Scott Simpson-7
> Wouldn't it be easier to enter an appropriately labeled "dummy"
> transaction with an explanatory comment to offset the error, reconcile
> that and get on with life?

It would if that transaction still existed. I deleted it and I don't
know how to go back.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

David Brown-15
On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 01:38:38PM -0700, Scott Simpson wrote:

>This won't work. The ending balance of my account must obviously match
>my statement. But as I check stuff off, the "reconcile number" is
>computed and when I am done matching my statement, the reconcile
>number will be off by $28.50 since it computes relative to the
>previous *incorrect* value (and I can't adjust the reconcile number
>because that is my original problem!). If the reconcile number is not
>$0, I can't say accept. Catch-22.

We must be missing something here.  There isn't a reconciled balance
that is stored anywhere.  You should be able to add the correct
transaction and re-reconcile.  You can add the single transaction, and
redo the reconciliation for the previous month.  Once you mark it, the
balance should be correct.

The only values stored for a reconcile are the date of the last
reconcilation and the last interval covered.  It is not computed to any
previously computed value, but it is a total of all transactions marked
as reconciled.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

sunfish62
Let me see if I understand you:

1) You entered a transaction for $28.50
2) You reconciled this against your bank statement which also had $28.50
3) You later found that it was supposed to be $2850
4) You deleted reconciled transaction A
5) You entered a new transaction for $2850

now it gets murky...

6) You tried to reconcile against a statement, and the statement had either
 a) a transaction for $2850 along with a credit for $28.50
or,
 b) a transaction for $2821.50 along with a note about the earlier error

I can't imagine any other options here...

In the case of 6a, you can either:
  I. Add back your original erroneous deposit (so that the first bank statement will be accurate) along with a debit for $28.50 and a deposit for $2850. This will then match exactly what your bank did.

or,
  II. Add only the $2850 transaction, understanding that the credit/debit pair for $28.50 were a wash (because they weren't "real"). The end balances should match, but the interim amounts won't.

In the case of 6b, you can either:
  I. Add back your original erroneous deposit (so that the first bank statement will be accurate) along with a deposit for $2821.50. This will then match exactly what your bank did.

or,
  II. Add only the $2850 transaction, understanding that the two credits were weren't really separate, but just an error. The end balances should match, but the interim amounts won't.

Does that clear things up?

David

> > Wouldn't it be easier to enter an appropriately
> labeled "dummy"
> > transaction with an explanatory comment to offset the
> error, reconcile
> > that and get on with life?
>
> It would if that transaction still existed. I deleted it
> and I don't
> know how to go back.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Scott Simpson-7
> We must be missing something here.  There isn't a reconciled balance
> that is stored anywhere.  You should be able to add the correct
> transaction and re-reconcile.  You can add the single transaction, and
> redo the reconciliation for the previous month.  Once you mark it, the
> balance should be correct.

You are right. I went back and looked at the previous month's
statement (2 months back) which had a deposit for $28.50 which I
didn't know what it was and so I classified it as Miscellaneous. It
turns out it was a bank error for $2850. The bank then paid the
difference later. I've classified it correctly and it things now
balance.

I didn't think there was a cache anywhere because I decompressed the
GnuCash file and looked in the account and all I saw was a reconcile
date but no reconciled amount.. But I couldn't get my numbers to add.

Sorry to lead you on a wild goose chase.
Liz

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Scott Simpson wrote:
> You are right. I went back and looked at the previous month's
> statement (2 months back) which had a deposit for $28.50 which I
> didn't know what it was and so I classified it as Miscellaneous. It
> turns out it was a bank error for $2850. The bank then paid the
> difference later. I've classified it correctly and it things now
> balance.

So the basic error was in thinking that the bank was right, and you had the
problem?
Being white-of-hair I thought reconciliation should stop when you don't
balance, and you then perform an investigation.

--
Happiness isn't having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Zed-6
"Scott Simpson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Except ... I think something deeper may be wrong:  Jus how did you
> > manage to reconcile it and get a correct reconciled balance if the entry
> > was wrong?
>
> I didn't. The entry was $28.50 on my statement and in my account. The
> difference was on the next statement. I was going to merge the two.
> However, now I'm just back to trying to get the $28.50 back and ignoring
> all else. I'm having no luck.

How far back would you have to go to get to a backup which did not include
the entry of $28.50? Perhaps worthwhile if it did not require you to have to
re-enter hundreds of transactions.

Zed
--
zed

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

gbguy
NEVER MIND!  The problem was not what I thought!

This one time I paid this credit card from another checking account I have.  I simply had the transaction in the wrong place.  I put it back where it belonged and everything is fine.

Please disregard the following:

I have a somewhat similar problem.  I reconciled my checking account ($0 difference) and then imported transactions to a credit card account.  One of the credit card transactions was a payment from my checking account (This checking account transaction had been reconciled).  Let's say it was for $20.

The description (payee) field was slightly different between what I had manually entered in the checking account and in the imported credit card transaction.  I missed this (mistake #1) and the transaction was entered as a new withdrawal from my checking account, instead of matching up with the reconciled one.

Mistake #2 was when I noticed the duplicate payments in my checking account and I deleted the reconciled transaction instead of the newly added one.

Now when I attempt to reconcile I am off by the amount of the credit card payment ($20).  The "new" $20 transaction is there in my checking account register, but I can't mark it as reconciled, nor can I replace it with the reconciled transaction that I mistakenly deleted (at least I don't know how).  If I mark it as not cleared, my balance is correct, but the books really aren't.

Any suggestions?
David T. wrote
I believe that if you ignore the incorrect opening balance and reconcile to the closing balance, everything should work out fine.

Of course, I could be wrong.

David

> I had a transaction that was listed as $28.50. I reconciled
> it in the
> previous month. However, it was actually incorrect so I
> deleted it and
> entered $2850.00 instead (that is, I deleted a reconciled
> transaction). Now I can't reconcile my statement
> because my starting
> balance is incorrect and it won't allow me to edit the
> starting
> balance in the reconcile window. Additionally, I have no
> way of
> putting the $28.50 transaction back and setting it to
> reconcile 'y'
> since the UI won't allow me to change it that way. I
> wish I had never
> deleted it and gotten myself into this pickle.
>
> How is the starting balance computed and how can I fix
> this? Thank you.

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Robin Chattopadhyay
I've done this several times before while I was getting up and running in
GnuCash.

Re-reconcile the checking account (ignore the starting balance). When you
see the reconcile window, your $20 will appear on the right and mark that
transaction and that should bring the reconcile window into balance.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:05 PM, yetanother <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a somewhat similar problem.  I reconciled my checking account ($0
> difference) and then imported transactions to a credit card account.  One
> of
> the credit card transactions was a payment from my checking account (This
> checking account transaction had been reconciled).  Let's say it was for
> $20.
>
> The description (payee) field was slightly different between what I had
> manually entered in the checking account and in the imported credit card
> transaction.  I missed this (mistake #1) and the transaction was entered as
> a new withdrawal from my checking account, instead of matching up with the
> reconciled one.
>
> Mistake #2 was when I noticed the duplicate payments in my checking account
> and I deleted the reconciled transaction instead of the newly added one.
>
> Now when I attempt to reconcile I am off by the amount of the credit card
> payment ($20).  The "new" $20 transaction is there in my checking account
> register, but I can't mark it as reconciled, nor can I replace it with the
> reconciled transaction that I mistakenly deleted (at least I don't know
> how).  If I mark it as not cleared, my balance is correct, but the books
> really aren't.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> David T. wrote:
> >
> > I believe that if you ignore the incorrect opening balance and reconcile
> > to the closing balance, everything should work out fine.
> >
> > Of course, I could be wrong.
> >
> > David

Robin's tip echoes my own. You don't change the reconcile status in the register; you change it when you reconcile.

David

Liz

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, David T. wrote:
> Robin's tip echoes my own. You don't change the reconcile status in the
>  register; you change it when you reconcile.
>
> David

I can confirm that this does not always work.
I have had to put a balancing transaction in to make the reconciliation of one
account work, after I changed the account to which the transaction was linked
I changed the transaction from one expense account to another and the credit
card reconciliation was thereafter broken.

--
BOFH excuse #301:

appears to be a Slow/Narrow SCSI-0 Interface problem

Re: Serious reconciling problem after deleting an reconciled transaction

Derek Atkins
Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, David T. wrote:
>> Robin's tip echoes my own. You don't change the reconcile status in the
>>  register; you change it when you reconcile.
>>
>> David
>>
> I can confirm that this does not always work.

If it doesn't work then you're doing something wrong.

> I have had to put a balancing transaction in to make the reconciliation of one
> account work, after I changed the account to which the transaction was linked
> I changed the transaction from one expense account to another and the credit
> card reconciliation was thereafter broken.

So let's say you have a reconciled transaction from CC->Exp1 and you
change it to Exp2.  There are a couple things that can happen:

1) If you're in Basic view mode it will unreconcile the txn, in which
case re-reconciling will just work.
2) If you're in Expanded Split mode then it might NOT unreconcile the
txn, in which case you don't have to do anything.

UNLESS you change the 'CC' side to something else, just changing the
'Exp' side of the txn should NOT affect your ability to reconcile or
RE-reconcile the CC account!

Note that reonciliation makes no sense on Income or Expense accounts, so
yes, if you're trying to do that then moving a transaction would screw
you up.

If you had to add a balancing txn then you either:

a) deleted the transaction out of the CC acct, or
b) MOVED the txn out of the CC acct.

If it's just unreconciled due to changing the txn then a simple
re-reconcile will bring it all up to date.