Semi-OT: Eastern MA (US) banks compatable with GNUCash?

Semi-OT: Eastern MA (US) banks compatable with GNUCash?

Don Levey-3
Please excuse the question if this is too far off topic.

I have had it with my "local" bank (TD BankNorth) and their refusal to
provide connection information for software interface (they will only
support Quicken and MS-Money).  I am now looking for another bank - I live
in Framingham.  Does anyone have any recommendations for decent banks (or
ones to stay away from) so that I can use GNUCash more fully (not having to
manually enter each and every transaction)?

Thanks in advance,
 -Don

RE: Semi-OT: Eastern MA (US) banks compatable with GNUCash?

Don Levey-3
[hidden email] wrote:

>> I have had it with my "local" bank (TD BankNorth) and their refusal
>> to provide connection information for software interface (they will
>> only support Quicken and MS-Money).  ...
>>

> I don't know if you have them in your area, but I have imported
> statements downloaded from both SunTrust and Bank Of America.
> Ironically it's the microsoft money option that works, because they
> are actually using OFX.
> Just to be clear, the process I use is I go to their banking web site,
> download the statement for last month and import it into gnucash
> using the import OFX option.
>
> Hope that helps.

Actually, that does.  BofA is certainly in my area, and would be a
possibility.  My bank discontinued the downloadable file option, which is
how I got into this mess in the first place (I was previously able to
download those files).  When I can, I'll ask if they have any plans to
discontinue their option at BofA.

Is anyone using direct interface using HBCI?
 -Don

Re: Semi-OT: Eastern MA (US) banks compatable with GNUCash?

Derek Atkins
"Don Levey" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Is anyone using direct interface using HBCI?

Only Germans.

Note that gnucash-1.9 with modern aqbanking and libofx should
give you OFX Direct Connect, provided you can find your bank's
OFX URL.

Re: Semi-OT: Eastern MA (US) banks compatable with GNUCash?

Eugen Leitl
On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 12:07:55PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Note that gnucash-1.9 with modern aqbanking and libofx should
> give you OFX Direct Connect, provided you can find your bank's
> OFX URL.

Is OFX as powerful as HBCI (FinTS), and is OFX available
at some banks in the EU (Germany, preferrably) as well?

[hidden email] wrote:

> "Don Levey" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Is anyone using direct interface using HBCI?
>
> Only Germans.
>
> Note that gnucash-1.9 with modern aqbanking and libofx should
> give you OFX Direct Connect, provided you can find your bank's
> OFX URL.
>
> -derek

Ah, well that could be the reason why I'm not getting it to work when
connecting to a (nominally) US bank...  I'll check out 1.9, though I may
wait until it is packaged for Fedora so I can maintain my RPM database.
Thanks!

Eugen Leitl <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 12:07:55PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Note that gnucash-1.9 with modern aqbanking and libofx should
>> give you OFX Direct Connect, provided you can find your bank's
>> OFX URL.
>
> Is OFX as powerful as HBCI (FinTS)

I honestly don't know.  I suspect full-featured OFX is as powerful
as HBCI.

>     , and is OFX available
> at some banks in the EU (Germany, preferrably) as well?

No clue, sorry.

Re: Semi-OT: Eastern MA (US) banks compatable with GNUCash?

"Don Levey" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Ah, well that could be the reason why I'm not getting it to work when
> connecting to a (nominally) US bank...  I'll check out 1.9, though I may
> wait until it is packaged for Fedora so I can maintain my RPM database.

1.9.x is the alpha/beta testing series before 2.0.  I doubt there
will be any RPMs for 1.9.x

> Thanks!
>  -Don

Compiling 1.9 - ltdl.h/libtool error [was: RE: Semi-OT: Eastern MA (US) banks compatable with GNUCash?]

Don Levey-3
[hidden email] wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> "Don Levey" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Is anyone using direct interface using HBCI?
>>
>> Only Germans.
>>
>> Note that gnucash-1.9 with modern aqbanking and libofx should
>> give you OFX Direct Connect, provided you can find your bank's OFX
>> URL.
>>
>> -derek
>
> Ah, well that could be the reason why I'm not getting it to work when
> connecting to a (nominally) US bank...  I'll check out 1.9, though I
> may wait until it is packaged for Fedora so I can maintain my RPM
> database. Thanks!
>  -Don
> __________

So... there I am, trying to compile 1.9.  I figured I would take the chance,
since the next RPM package for Fedora would most likely be 2.0 and would
update then.  First step is to run ./configure, where I get:

        checking for ltdl.h... no
        configure: error: Cannot find ltdl.h -- libtool-devel not installed?

Interesting thing is:
        [root@dauphin gnucash-1.9.0]# rpm -q libtool
        libtool-1.5.16.multilib2-3
        [root@dauphin gnucash-1.9.0]# locate ltdl.h
        /usr/share/libtool/libltdl/ltdl.h
        /usr/include/lam_ltdl.h

There doesn't appear to be a libtool-devel package for Fedora, but the
header file does exist anyway (all references I see via Google suggest that
the libtool package should give me what I need).  I tried looking through
the ./configure command-line options, but wasn't able to determine which one
(if any) would be useful for pointing to my libtool installation (I found
that PREFIX and LIB won't do it).  I also added the directory to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH just in case, but that didn't help.  Any thoughts?

[NOTE: I know that this is unstable, but am willing to test with what I've
got.  I'm not a programmer, though, so I don't know how useful my input will
be.]

Thanks in advance,
 -Don

Re: Compiling 1.9 - ltdl.h/libtool error [was: RE: Semi-OT: Eastern MA (US) banks compatable with GNUCash?]

Derek Atkins
Quoting Don Levey <[hidden email]>:

> So... there I am, trying to compile 1.9.  I figured I would take the chance,
> since the next RPM package for Fedora would most likely be 2.0 and would
> update then.  First step is to run ./configure, where I get:
>
> checking for ltdl.h... no
> configure: error: Cannot find ltdl.h -- libtool-devel not installed?
>
> Interesting thing is:
> [root@dauphin gnucash-1.9.0]# rpm -q libtool
> libtool-1.5.16.multilib2-3
> [root@dauphin gnucash-1.9.0]# locate ltdl.h
> /usr/share/libtool/libltdl/ltdl.h
> /usr/include/lam_ltdl.h

What do you see in config.log?  I've built 1.9 cvs on FC4 just fine.

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Don Levey <[hidden email]>:
>
>> So... there I am, trying to compile 1.9.  I figured I would take the
>> chance, since the next RPM package for Fedora would most likely be
>> 2.0 and would update then.  First step is to run ./configure, where
>> I get:
>>
>> checking for ltdl.h... no
>> configure: error: Cannot find ltdl.h -- libtool-devel not installed?
>>
>> Interesting thing is:
>> [root@dauphin gnucash-1.9.0]# rpm -q libtool
>> libtool-1.5.16.multilib2-3
>> [root@dauphin gnucash-1.9.0]# locate ltdl.h
>> /usr/share/libtool/libltdl/ltdl.h
>> /usr/include/lam_ltdl.h
>
> What do you see in config.log?  I've built 1.9 cvs on FC4 just fine.
>
> -derek

The last bit is here:
        ## ----------- ##
        ## confdefs.h. ##
        ## ----------- ##

        #define ENABLE_NLS 1
        #define GETTEXT_PACKAGE "gnucash"
        #define GNUCASH_MAJOR_VERSION 1
        #define GNUCASH_MICRO_VERSION 0
        #define GNUCASH_MINOR_VERSION 9
        #define HAVE_BIND_TEXTDOMAIN_CODESET 1
        #define HAVE_DCGETTEXT 1
        <snip>
        #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
        #define STDC_HEADERS 1
        #define STDC_HEADERS 1
        #define VERSION "1.9.0"
        #endif
        #ifdef __cplusplus
        extern "C" void std::exit (int) throw (); using std::exit;

        configure: exit 1

I admit this doesn't mean much to me; should I be looking further back?
I've uploaded the entire log here:
http://www.the-leveys.us:6080/misc/config.log
in case that helps.

[hidden email] wrote:

> The last bit is here:
> ## ----------- ##
> ## confdefs.h. ##
> ## ----------- ##
>
> #define ENABLE_NLS 1
> #define GETTEXT_PACKAGE "gnucash"
> #define GNUCASH_MAJOR_VERSION 1
> #define GNUCASH_MICRO_VERSION 0
> #define GNUCASH_MINOR_VERSION 9
> #define HAVE_BIND_TEXTDOMAIN_CODESET 1
> #define HAVE_DCGETTEXT 1
> <snip>
> #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
> #define STDC_HEADERS 1
> #define STDC_HEADERS 1
> #define VERSION "1.9.0"
> #endif
> #ifdef __cplusplus
> extern "C" void std::exit (int) throw (); using std::exit;
>
> configure: exit 1
>
> I admit this doesn't mean much to me; should I be looking further
> back? I've uploaded the entire log here:
> http://www.the-leveys.us:6080/misc/config.log
> in case that helps.
>
>  -Don

Oh, one more thing: I do have a 'libtool' shell script which seems to have
been built as part of this aborted run.

 -Don

RE: Compiling 1.9 - ltdl.h/libtool error [was: RE: Semi-OT:Eastern MA (US) banks compatable with GNUCash?]

Quoting Don Levey <[hidden email]>:

>> What do you see in config.log?  I've built 1.9 cvs on FC4 just fine.
>>
>> -derek

[snip]
> I admit this doesn't mean much to me; should I be looking further back?
> I've uploaded the entire log here:
> http://www.the-leveys.us:6080/misc/config.log
> in case that helps.

Thanks.  The key is here:

configure:22033: checking ltdl.h usability
configure:22045: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:78:18: error: ltdl.h: No such file or directory
configure:22051: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:

Or at least, this is what I was looking for (thanks for posting the whole
file).   FC4 does not have libtool-devel, but it does have libtool-ltdl-devel.
Make sure you have that installed.

RE: Compiling 1.9 - ltdl.h/libtool error

Quoting Don Levey <[hidden email]>:

> Oh, one more thing: I do have a 'libtool' shell script which seems to have
> been built as part of this aborted run.

Yea, that happened separately, earlier in the configure process.
I've modified configure.in in SVN to mention libtool-ltdl-devel
(in addition to libtool-devel) to provide a hint about what might
be missing.  That's what you're missing.

On my FC4 machine I have /usr/include/ltdl.h, and libtool-ltdl-devel
is what provides it.

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Thanks.  The key is here:
>
> configure:22033: checking ltdl.h usability
> configure:22045: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
> conftest.c:78:18: error: ltdl.h: No such file or directory
> configure:22051: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
>
> Or at least, this is what I was looking for (thanks for posting the
> whole file).   FC4 does not have libtool-devel, but it does have
> libtool-ltdl-devel. Make sure you have that installed.
>
> -derek

That seems to have gotten me to the next step - thanks!
Now, when running make, I get the error below.  Is there a log I can post
for this?

make[5]: Entering directory `/opt/gnucash-1.9.0/src/engine'
if /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../.. -I../..    -I../../
lib/libc -I../../src/core-utils -I../../src -I../../src/gnc-module -I../../s
rc/business/business-core/ -I../../lib/libqo
f/qof -DGNUCASH -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include
   -I /usr/include/g-wrap  -g -O2 -Wall -Wun
used -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations   -Werror -Wdeclaration-aft
er-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -MT gw-engine
.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/gw-engine.Tpo" -c -o gw-engine.lo gw-engine.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/gw-engine.Tpo" ".deps/gw-engine.Plo"; else rm -f
".deps/gw-engine.Tpo"; exit 1; fi

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../lib/libc
 -I../../src/core-utils -I../../src -I../..
/src/gnc-module -I../../src/business/business-core/ -I../../lib/libqof/qof -
DGNUCASH -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I
/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I
/usr/include/g-wrap -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-dec
larations -Werr
or -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -MT
gw-engine.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/gw-engine.Tpo -c gw-engine.c  -fPI
C -DPIC -o .libs/gw-engine.o
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
gw-engine.c: In function 'gw__tmp426_xaccQueryAddDateMatch_wrapper':
gw-engine.c:16599: warning: 'gw__scm_extras[0]' is used uninitialized in
this function
make[5]: *** [gw-engine.lo] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnucash-1.9.0/src/engine'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnucash-1.9.0/src/engine'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnucash-1.9.0/src/engine'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnucash-1.9.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnucash-1.9.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=330615

Derek Atkins wrote:

> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=330615
>
> Quoting Don Levey <[hidden email]>:
>
>> /usr/include/g-wrap -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused -Wmissing-prototypes
>> -Wmissing-dec larations -Werr or -Wdeclaration-after-statement
>> -Wno-pointer-sign -MT
>> gw-engine.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/gw-engine.Tpo -c gw-engine.c  -fPI
>> C -DPIC -o .libs/gw-engine.o
>> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
>> gw-engine.c: In function 'gw__tmp426_xaccQueryAddDateMatch_wrapper':
>> gw-engine.c:16599: warning: 'gw__scm_extras[0]' is used
>> uninitialized in this function make[5]: *** [gw-engine.lo] Error 1
>> make[5]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnucash-1.9.0/src/engine'
>> make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[4]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnucash-1.9.0/src/engine'
>> make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnucash-1.9.0/src/engine'
>> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnucash-1.9.0/src'
>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnucash-1.9.0'
>> make: *** [all] Error 2

That did it!  Running

        make CFLAGS="-Wno-uninitialized

allowed make to finish, and make install completed without apparent errors.
I guess I need to learn how to check the bugs database if I'm going to test
an unstable package...  Now to fire it up.

Thanks again,
 -Don