Scripting Recurring Business Transactions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Scripting Recurring Business Transactions

Adam Rosi-Kessel
gnucash doesn't support recurring transactions for billing customers. I
understand that the feature is on the radar, but my impression is there is
no active work being done on that. Is that correct?

If so, I'm wondering how hard it would be to create such transactions
through a script directly editing the XML data file. I haven't spent much
time trying to understand how the data file works, but I'm wondering if
anyone has tried doing this before and/or how hard it would be? I've got
about 20 customers that I bill monthly -- each customer is billed a
different amount, but it's the same amount every month. Is it just a matter
of adding a couple of straightforward transactions to the XML file? Do the
guid's have any significance other than just being unique?
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scripting Recurring Business Transactions

Derek Atkins
Quoting Adam Rosi-Kessel <[hidden email]>:

> gnucash doesn't support recurring transactions for billing customers. I
> understand that the feature is on the radar, but my impression is there is
> no active work being done on that. Is that correct?
>
> If so, I'm wondering how hard it would be to create such transactions
> through a script directly editing the XML data file. I haven't spent much
> time trying to understand how the data file works, but I'm wondering if
> anyone has tried doing this before and/or how hard it would be? I've got
> about 20 customers that I bill monthly -- each customer is billed a
> different amount, but it's the same amount every month. Is it just a matter
> of adding a couple of straightforward transactions to the XML file? Do the
> guid's have any significance other than just being unique?

UGGH!   It is NOT SUPPORTED to edit the xml file from under gnucash.
I really think this is a BAD idea.   To answer your question, however,
the GUID for an object is unique, however they are used for referential
integrity when referring to other objects.  So you need to know Account
GUIDs in order to refer to accounts.

A much better solution would be a "copy Invoice" operation, where you can
create a new invoice from an existing one.  Granted, that wouldn't really
help you script it, per se, but it would reduce the amount of work you
have to do.   If you really want to script it, you might want to consider
QSF, but that was left out of 2.0 because it was way too buggy.

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scripting Recurring Business Transactions

Adam Rosi-Kessel
Derek Atkins wrote:
> A much better solution would be a "copy Invoice" operation, where you can
> create a new invoice from an existing one.  Granted, that wouldn't really
> help you script it, per se, but it would reduce the amount of work you
> have to do.   If you really want to script it, you might want to consider
> QSF, but that was left out of 2.0 because it was way too buggy.

Is there a "copy invoice" operation? I understand the concern about
scripting modification to the XML file; I'm just trying to figure out how to
automate a several-hours process that is purely mechanical.

Adam
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scripting Recurring Business Transactions

Derek Atkins
Quoting Adam Rosi-Kessel <[hidden email]>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>> A much better solution would be a "copy Invoice" operation, where you can
>> create a new invoice from an existing one.  Granted, that wouldn't really
>> help you script it, per se, but it would reduce the amount of work you
>> have to do.   If you really want to script it, you might want to consider
>> QSF, but that was left out of 2.0 because it was way too buggy.
>
> Is there a "copy invoice" operation? I understand the concern about
> scripting modification to the XML file; I'm just trying to figure out how to
> automate a several-hours process that is purely mechanical.

No, which is why I said "would be" as opposed to "is".  But a "copy invoice"
operation would be relatively easy to implement, and would be useful in
general, so I would suggest you consider developing that as opposed to
developing something to hack the XML from under GnuCash.

> Adam

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.