Scheduled transactions

rmomxtx
Is there a way to tell GnuCash to process a scheduled transaction early
other than to chance the date of each transaction? Some months I would like
to do my monthly accounting earlier than the first of the month. Only way I
have found to do that is to change the dates of the scheduled transactions
or the number of days to create in advance. That is a one-by-one operation.
I'm looking for a way to tell GnuCash to go ahead and process all of the
scheduled transactions early.

Thanks,

Roger

Re: Scheduled transactions

Matthew Pounsett
On 25 September 2017 at 10:57, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to tell GnuCash to process a scheduled transaction early
> other than to chance the date of each transaction? Some months I would like
> to do my monthly accounting earlier than the first of the month. Only way I
> have found to do that is to change the dates of the scheduled transactions
> or the number of days to create in advance. That is a one-by-one operation.
> I'm looking for a way to tell GnuCash to go ahead and process all of the
> scheduled transactions early.
>
> I don't think there's a way to do precisely what you're asking.  My
suggestion would be to tell GnuCash to Create in Advance by a week or so.
Then, for CC payments for example, if you make them a few days early just
change the date of the transaction that GC creates.  I do this myself for
regularly occurring transactions that don't have predictable dates.  For
example, my Internet Service Provider for some reason doesn't bill on
exactly the same date every month, and it can be +/-5 days from the average.

Re: Scheduled transactions

David Carlson-4
I use Remind in Advance for that purpose, but it is somewhat clumsy too.  I
put the word Sched in the Num field to remind me that the transaction has
not really happened yet.

David C

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Matthew Pounsett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 25 September 2017 at 10:57, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to tell GnuCash to process a scheduled transaction early
> > other than to chance the date of each transaction? Some months I would
> like
> > to do my monthly accounting earlier than the first of the month. Only
> way I
> > have found to do that is to change the dates of the scheduled
> transactions
> > or the number of days to create in advance. That is a one-by-one
> operation.
> > I'm looking for a way to tell GnuCash to go ahead and process all of the
> > scheduled transactions early.
> >
> > I don't think there's a way to do precisely what you're asking.  My
> suggestion would be to tell GnuCash to Create in Advance by a week or so.
> Then, for CC payments for example, if you make them a few days early just
> change the date of the transaction that GC creates.  I do this myself for
> regularly occurring transactions that don't have predictable dates.  For
> example, my Internet Service Provider for some reason doesn't bill on
> exactly the same date every month, and it can be +/-5 days from the
> average.

Re: Scheduled transactions

David Carlson-4
Please reply to all.

Read the section of the help manual about scheduled transactions.
Then click on Actions>Scheduled Transactions>Scheduled Transaction Editor.

David C

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Roger Oliver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm sorry, I don't see the template tab. Thanks
>
> On Sep 25, 2017 2:04 PM, "David Carlson" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On the Template tab it is in the upper left as in the register view.
>>
>> David C
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:23 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Think I’ll just have to adapt to what the program can do. Where is the
>>> Num Field you are referring to? I don’t see it in Schedule Transactions.
>>> Thanks

Re: Scheduled transactions

randix
I feel like I've "paid my dues" with the scheduled transaction feature;
finally got it to work the way I want it, but it definitely contributed to
my hair loss in the process of doing so, but at last, I'm there...

I have monthly payments calendared 60 days in advance (so there are always 2
monthly pmts that appear in the register, for next month and the following
month).  If I want to pay the current one earlier than on the date on which
its scheduled and appears (which I often do), I just change the date of the
transaction as it appears in the register, I stay "the hell away" from the
scheduled transaction editor.

Simple, straightforward, uncomplicated.