Scheduled transactions for part year

IanM
New to gnucash so finding it a bit difficult to get my head round details
Council tax (UK property tax) is paid by 10 regular monthly payments each year (i.e. 2 months with no payment).  Can this be done with scheduled transactions and if so how - or would it be simpler to reset it each year?

Re: Scheduled transactions for part year

Colin Law
On 8 August 2017 at 21:21, IanM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> New to gnucash so finding it a bit difficult to get my head round details
> Council tax (UK property tax) is paid by 10 regular monthly payments each
> year (i.e. 2 months with no payment).  Can this be done with scheduled
> transactions and if so how - or would it be simpler to reset it each year?

I set it monthly, and put annual reminders in my calendar to delete
the transactions after they have gone in. I have not found a better
way, though that does not mean that there is not a better way.

Colin

Re: Scheduled transactions for part year

Maf. King
On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 11:27:39 BST Colin Law wrote:

> On 8 August 2017 at 21:21, IanM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > New to gnucash so finding it a bit difficult to get my head round details
> > Council tax (UK property tax) is paid by 10 regular monthly payments each
> > year (i.e. 2 months with no payment).  Can this be done with scheduled
> > transactions and if so how - or would it be simpler to reset it each year?
>
> I set it monthly, and put annual reminders in my calendar to delete
> the transactions after they have gone in. I have not found a better
> way, though that does not mean that there is not a better way.
>
> Colin

Hi Ian,

I also let the SX for council tax run forever, and just "remember" that the
feb & march transactions are to be deleted once they have been created, then
edit the template transaction each year when the new bill is issued.

I'm fairly sure, though, that you can set up a SX to be created say 10 times
only - in the SX editor, try the "Occurrences" section in the "Overview" tab
for that particular SX.

HTH,
Maf.
.

Re: Scheduled transactions for part year

IanM

Thanks - someone else has suggested the occurrences button but have not tried that as yet

On 2017-08-09 10:27, Colin Law [via GnuCash] wrote:

On 8 August 2017 at 21:21, IanM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> New to gnucash so finding it a bit difficult to get my head round details
> Council tax (UK property tax) is paid by 10 regular monthly payments each
> year (i.e. 2 months with no payment).  Can this be done with scheduled
> transactions and if so how - or would it be simpler to reset it each year?

I set it monthly, and put annual reminders in my calendar to delete
the transactions after they have gone in. I have not found a better
way, though that does not mean that there is not a better way.

Colin

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Scheduled-transactions-for-part-year-tp4693125p4693142.html
To unsubscribe from Scheduled transactions for part year, click here.
NAML

Re: Scheduled transactions for part year

Fred Bone
#On 8 August 2017 at 13:21, IanM said:

> New to gnucash so finding it a bit difficult to get my head round details
> Council tax (UK property tax) is paid by 10 regular monthly payments each
> year (i.e. 2 months with no payment).  Can this be done with scheduled
> transactions and if so how - or would it be simpler to reset it each year?

Simple enough.

Overview tab:
For: 10 occurrences

Frequency tab:
Frequency: monthly
Start date = 2017-04-15
Every: 1 month
On the: 15th except on weekends: use next weekday

Other settings (create in advance etc) to taste.

Each year reset the start date (and amount!).