Quantcast

Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

Adrien Monteleone
This might be by design, but it seems a bit counter-intuitive to me.

I have a handful of scheduled transactions.

I generally never close GnuCash as I use it too much.

Scheduled transactions do not get auto-created unless I either close and re-launch GnuCash, or use the not so obviously named menu entry Actions > Scheduled Transactions > Since Last Run…

(one would expect a report to display showing the transactions created since the auto-creator was last run, not for this to actually be the command to create said transactions, though I admit it is in the Actions menu and not the Reports menu. The term “since last run” is also a bit ambiguous as to last run of what? I thought it mean last run of the auto-creator for scheduled transactions, apparently it means since the last time GnuCash was launched)

Expected behavior is that if transactions are scheduled for a certain date, then they will be auto-generated on that date. If GnuCash is not running at the time that trigger is fired, then they will be created at the next launch of GnuCash.

Instead, it appears they are ONLY being created at program launch and not on their scheduled date while the program is running.

If I have to remember to manually fire the Since Last Run... menu entry, what’s the point of scheduled transactions?

GnuCash certainly has no issue auto-changing the date in the registers for new transactions or for new bills/invoices and payments. I don’t see why at say the flip of the date at midnight, it doesn’t fire the scheduled transaction routine for anything matching that new date. (maybe this could be user specified - end of day vs. beginning of day? or even a time?)

-Adrien

Re: Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

John Ralls

> On May 9, 2017, at 8:18 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This might be by design, but it seems a bit counter-intuitive to me.
>
> I have a handful of scheduled transactions.
>
> I generally never close GnuCash as I use it too much.
>
> Scheduled transactions do not get auto-created unless I either close and re-launch GnuCash, or use the not so obviously named menu entry Actions > Scheduled Transactions > Since Last Run…
>
> (one would expect a report to display showing the transactions created since the auto-creator was last run, not for this to actually be the command to create said transactions, though I admit it is in the Actions menu and not the Reports menu. The term “since last run” is also a bit ambiguous as to last run of what? I thought it mean last run of the auto-creator for scheduled transactions, apparently it means since the last time GnuCash was launched)
>
> Expected behavior is that if transactions are scheduled for a certain date, then they will be auto-generated on that date. If GnuCash is not running at the time that trigger is fired, then they will be created at the next launch of GnuCash.
>
> Instead, it appears they are ONLY being created at program launch and not on their scheduled date while the program is running.
>
> If I have to remember to manually fire the Since Last Run... menu entry, what’s the point of scheduled transactions?
>
> GnuCash certainly has no issue auto-changing the date in the registers for new transactions or for new bills/invoices and payments. I don’t see why at say the flip of the date at midnight, it doesn’t fire the scheduled transaction routine for anything matching that new date. (maybe this could be user specified - end of day vs. beginning of day? or even a time?)

Why since the last run of the Since Last Run dialog, of course. Programmers *love* recursion. ;-) Yes, the Since Last Run dialog runs the auto creator. It can't be a report because some scheduled transactions require user input. Hmm, referring back to a previous message where you asked if SLR could run in a tab instead of a dialog I guess
it actually can't because it would be really weird to have "OK" and "Cancel" buttons on a tab.

We could create a timer on the event loop that fires off the SLR once a day. There isn't one now, largely because nobody's ever thought it was needed. Just in case someone decides to run with that ball, note that it would have to first see if there's an SLR dialog already active and cancel it so that if the computer is left unattended and running for a few days one doesn't wind up with a bunch of SLR dialogs cluttering up the desktop and stepping on each other.

Re: Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

Adrien Monteleone
I can see how auto-fired SX entries could result in multiple SLR windows. That would be bad. Ideally, you’d have one window with all SXs waiting your approval when you got back to the app.

However, I might be confused by your wording. Maybe I’m missing something or my copy of GC isn’t working correctly.

If I have a SX for tomorrow and I leave the app open, and then come back to it say Friday, is there supposed to be a SLR window somewhere waiting for me to okay the transaction?  Because if there is, it isn’t happening.

Or were you simply referring to the case of “if” the event loop has an added SX timer there might be existing windows to deal with?

Possibly related, I see I have “Create Automatically” checked. I would presume no action is needed on my part for the SX to be created when the date for it rolls around. Apparently, this is not the case.

I also had “Notify me when created” and “Remind in Advance” set. I unset both of them and will see what happens with a test transaction.

> On May 9, 2017, at 9:09 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On May 9, 2017, at 8:18 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This might be by design, but it seems a bit counter-intuitive to me.
>>
>> I have a handful of scheduled transactions.
>>
>> I generally never close GnuCash as I use it too much.
>>
>> Scheduled transactions do not get auto-created unless I either close and re-launch GnuCash, or use the not so obviously named menu entry Actions > Scheduled Transactions > Since Last Run…
>>
>> (one would expect a report to display showing the transactions created since the auto-creator was last run, not for this to actually be the command to create said transactions, though I admit it is in the Actions menu and not the Reports menu. The term “since last run” is also a bit ambiguous as to last run of what? I thought it mean last run of the auto-creator for scheduled transactions, apparently it means since the last time GnuCash was launched)
>>
>> Expected behavior is that if transactions are scheduled for a certain date, then they will be auto-generated on that date. If GnuCash is not running at the time that trigger is fired, then they will be created at the next launch of GnuCash.
>>
>> Instead, it appears they are ONLY being created at program launch and not on their scheduled date while the program is running.
>>
>> If I have to remember to manually fire the Since Last Run... menu entry, what’s the point of scheduled transactions?
>>
>> GnuCash certainly has no issue auto-changing the date in the registers for new transactions or for new bills/invoices and payments. I don’t see why at say the flip of the date at midnight, it doesn’t fire the scheduled transaction routine for anything matching that new date. (maybe this could be user specified - end of day vs. beginning of day? or even a time?)
>
> Why since the last run of the Since Last Run dialog, of course. Programmers *love* recursion. ;-) Yes, the Since Last Run dialog runs the auto creator. It can't be a report because some scheduled transactions require user input. Hmm, referring back to a previous message where you asked if SLR could run in a tab instead of a dialog I guess
> it actually can't because it would be really weird to have "OK" and "Cancel" buttons on a tab.
>
> We could create a timer on the event loop that fires off the SLR once a day. There isn't one now, largely because nobody's ever thought it was needed. Just in case someone decides to run with that ball, note that it would have to first see if there's an SLR dialog already active and cancel it so that if the computer is left unattended and running for a few days one doesn't wind up with a bunch of SLR dialogs cluttering up the desktop and stepping on each other.

RE: Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

Peter Jackson-2
John, I use 2.6.16 on Windows 10. Gnucash has never auto-changed the date in the registers. Have I missed a setting?

Peter

> On May 9, 2017, at 8:18 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This might be by design, but it seems a bit counter-intuitive to me.
>
> I have a handful of scheduled transactions.
>
> I generally never close GnuCash as I use it too much.
>
> Scheduled transactions do not get auto-created unless I either close
> and re-launch GnuCash, or use the not so obviously named menu entry
> Actions > Scheduled Transactions > Since Last Run…
>
> (one would expect a report to display showing the transactions created
> since the auto-creator was last run, not for this to actually be the
> command to create said transactions, though I admit it is in the
> Actions menu and not the Reports menu. The term “since last run” is
> also a bit ambiguous as to last run of what? I thought it mean last
> run of the auto-creator for scheduled transactions, apparently it
> means since the last time GnuCash was launched)
>
> Expected behavior is that if transactions are scheduled for a certain date, then they will be auto-generated on that date. If GnuCash is not running at the time that trigger is fired, then they will be created at the next launch of GnuCash.
>
> Instead, it appears they are ONLY being created at program launch and not on their scheduled date while the program is running.
>
> If I have to remember to manually fire the Since Last Run... menu entry, what’s the point of scheduled transactions?
>
> GnuCash certainly has no issue auto-changing the date in the registers
> for new transactions or for new bills/invoices and payments. I don’t
> see why at say the flip of the date at midnight, it doesn’t fire the
> scheduled transaction routine for anything matching that new date.
> (maybe this could be user specified - end of day vs. beginning of day?
> or even a time?)

Why since the last run of the Since Last Run dialog, of course. Programmers *love* recursion. ;-) Yes, the Since Last Run dialog runs the auto creator. It can't be a report because some scheduled transactions require user input. Hmm, referring back to a previous message where you asked if SLR could run in a tab instead of a dialog I guess it actually can't because it would be really weird to have "OK" and "Cancel" buttons on a tab.

We could create a timer on the event loop that fires off the SLR once a day. There isn't one now, largely because nobody's ever thought it was needed. Just in case someone decides to run with that ball, note that it would have to first see if there's an SLR dialog already active and cancel it so that if the computer is left unattended and running for a few days one doesn't wind up with a bunch of SLR dialogs cluttering up the desktop and stepping on each other.

---

Re: Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

Adrien Monteleone
Personally I haven’t paid attention when I keep registers open overnight, which I often do, but certainly opening them the next day the date has updated. (this is without restarting GC) It’s already past midnight here, but I’ll watch Thursday and see what happens.

-Adrien

> On May 10, 2017, at 12:46 AM, Peter Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John, I use 2.6.16 on Windows 10. Gnucash has never auto-changed the date in the registers. Have I missed a setting?
>
> Peter

If the event loop were to have an added timer event to run the SLR once a day. There's no such timer now.

Even if the SX is "create automatically" it will require user intervention if there are variables in the formula: The user must supply values for the variables in order to create the "real" transaction.

Yes, I suppose one could update and repaint the existing SLR dialog instead of telling it to cancel and drawing a new one, but it would be a bit more work and invisible to the user.

Re: Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

David Carlson-4
I do not want the transactions that are created automatically going by
without my looking at them and seeing that they actually were created with
the correct dates, amounts and accounts.

If there was a chron job equivalent (maybe even without Gnucash running
with the desired file open) or only in a file that GnuCash currently has
open  I would want it collect all the SLR transactions that were created
without supervision kept in a log for later review.

David C

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 6:00 AM, John Ralls <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > On May 10, 2017, at 1:07 AM, Adrien Monteleone <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I can see how auto-fired SX entries could result in multiple SLR
> windows. That would be bad. Ideally, you’d have one window with all SXs
> waiting your approval when you got back to the app.
> >
> > However, I might be confused by your wording. Maybe I’m missing
> something or my copy of GC isn’t working correctly.
> >
> > If I have a SX for tomorrow and I leave the app open, and then come back
> to it say Friday, is there supposed to be a SLR window somewhere waiting
> for me to okay the transaction?  Because if there is, it isn’t happening.
> >
> > Or were you simply referring to the case of “if” the event loop has an
> added SX timer there might be existing windows to deal with?
> >
> > Possibly related, I see I have “Create Automatically” checked. I would
> presume no action is needed on my part for the SX to be created when the
> date for it rolls around. Apparently, this is not the case.
> >
> > I also had “Notify me when created” and “Remind in Advance” set. I unset
> both of them and will see what happens with a test transaction.
>
> If the event loop were to have an added timer event to run the SLR once a
> day. There's no such timer now.
>
> Even if the SX is "create automatically" it will require user intervention
> if there are variables in the formula: The user must supply values for the
> variables in order to create the "real" transaction.
>
> Yes, I suppose one could update and repaint the existing SLR dialog
> instead of telling it to cancel and drawing a new one, but it would be a
> bit more work and invisible to the user.

Re: Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

Dave H
I also like to give my scheduled txns the once over.  I would be nice if
the "Review create transactions" option was a preference (I haven't found
it anywhere at least) that I could set on permanently and forget as
sometimes I click the OK button before clicking the checkbox and end up
inadvertantly dismissing the popup instead of reviewing the txns :-(

Cheers Dave H.

On 10 May 2017 at 21:22, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not want the transactions that are created automatically going by
> without my looking at them and seeing that they actually were created with
> the correct dates, amounts and accounts.
>
> If there was a chron job equivalent (maybe even without Gnucash running
> with the desired file open) or only in a file that GnuCash currently has
> open  I would want it collect all the SLR transactions that were created
> without supervision kept in a log for later review.
>
> David C
>
> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 6:00 AM, John Ralls <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>

> > > On May 10, 2017, at 1:07 AM, Adrien Monteleone <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I can see how auto-fired SX entries could result in multiple SLR
> > windows. That would be bad. Ideally, you’d have one window with all SXs
> > waiting your approval when you got back to the app.
> > >
> > > However, I might be confused by your wording. Maybe I’m missing
> > something or my copy of GC isn’t working correctly.
> > >
> > > If I have a SX for tomorrow and I leave the app open, and then come
> back
> > to it say Friday, is there supposed to be a SLR window somewhere waiting
> > for me to okay the transaction?  Because if there is, it isn’t happening.
> > >
> > > Or were you simply referring to the case of “if” the event loop has an
> > added SX timer there might be existing windows to deal with?
> > >
> > > Possibly related, I see I have “Create Automatically” checked. I would
> > presume no action is needed on my part for the SX to be created when the
> > date for it rolls around. Apparently, this is not the case.
> > >
> > > I also had “Notify me when created” and “Remind in Advance” set. I
> unset
> > both of them and will see what happens with a test transaction.
> >
> > If the event loop were to have an added timer event to run the SLR once a
> > day. There's no such timer now.
> >
> > Even if the SX is "create automatically" it will require user
> intervention
> > if there are variables in the formula: The user must supply values for
> the
> > variables in order to create the "real" transaction.
> >
> > Yes, I suppose one could update and repaint the existing SLR dialog
> > instead of telling it to cancel and drawing a new one, but it would be a
> > bit more work and invisible to the user.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls

Re: Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

Adrien Monteleone
Dave & David,

I too prefer to see those transactions to make sure they were correctly created. I certainly was not suggesting otherwise. (this is already optional of course)

> On May 10, 2017, at 7:07 AM, Dave H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I also like to give my scheduled txns the once over.  I would be nice if
> the "Review create transactions" option was a preference (I haven't found
> it anywhere at least) that I could set on permanently and forget as
> sometimes I click the OK button before clicking the checkbox and end up
> inadvertantly dismissing the popup instead of reviewing the txns :-(
>
> Cheers Dave H.

Check the setting in the Overview tab when editing the SX “Notify me when created.” Is that not what you are looking for? There’s also a Preference to set this by default for all future SXs you create and a Preference to “Show Notification Window” under the Since Last Run section of Preferences > Scheduled Transactions.

-Adrien

> On 10 May 2017 at 21:22, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I do not want the transactions that are created automatically going by
>> without my looking at them and seeing that they actually were created with
>> the correct dates, amounts and accounts.
>>
>> If there was a chron job equivalent (maybe even without Gnucash running
>> with the desired file open) or only in a file that GnuCash currently has
>> open  I would want it collect all the SLR transactions that were created
>> without supervision kept in a log for later review.
>>
>> David C

>>> windows. That would be bad. Ideally, you’d have one window with all SXs
>>> waiting your approval when you got back to the app.

>>> something or my copy of GC isn’t working correctly.

>> back
>>> to it say Friday, is there supposed to be a SLR window somewhere waiting
>>> for me to okay the transaction?  Because if there is, it isn’t happening.

>>> added SX timer there might be existing windows to deal with?

>>> presume no action is needed on my part for the SX to be created when the
>>> date for it rolls around. Apparently, this is not the case.

>> unset
>>> both of them and will see what happens with a test transaction.
>>>
>>> If the event loop were to have an added timer event to run the SLR once a
>>> day. There's no such timer now.
>>>
>>> Even if the SX is "create automatically" it will require user
>> intervention
>>> if there are variables in the formula: The user must supply values for
>> the
>>> variables in order to create the "real" transaction.
>>>
>>> Yes, I suppose one could update and repaint the existing SLR dialog
>>> instead of telling it to cancel and drawing a new one, but it would be a
>>> bit more work and invisible to the user.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls

Re: Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

Dave H
No that only causes them to be listed as "created" without any real detail
in the popup, you then have to check on the review checkbox every time and
click ok to review the transactions in detail.

Dave H.

On 11 May 2017 at 02:54, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dave & David,
>
> I too prefer to see those transactions to make sure they were correctly
> created. I certainly was not suggesting otherwise. (this is already
> optional of course)
>

> > On May 10, 2017, at 7:07 AM, Dave H <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I also like to give my scheduled txns the once over.  I would be nice if
> > the "Review create transactions" option was a preference (I haven't found
> > it anywhere at least) that I could set on permanently and forget as
> > sometimes I click the OK button before clicking the checkbox and end up
> > inadvertantly dismissing the popup instead of reviewing the txns :-(
> >
> > Cheers Dave H.
>
> Check the setting in the Overview tab when editing the SX “Notify me when
> created.” Is that not what you are looking for? There’s also a Preference
> to set this by default for all future SXs you create and a Preference to
> “Show Notification Window” under the Since Last Run section of Preferences
> > Scheduled Transactions.
>
> -Adrien
>

> > On 10 May 2017 at 21:22, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I do not want the transactions that are created automatically going by
> >> without my looking at them and seeing that they actually were created
> with
> >> the correct dates, amounts and accounts.
> >>
> >> If there was a chron job equivalent (maybe even without Gnucash running
> >> with the desired file open) or only in a file that GnuCash currently has
> >> open  I would want it collect all the SLR transactions that were created
> >> without supervision kept in a log for later review.
> >>
> >> David C
> >>
> >> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 6:00 AM, John Ralls <
> [hidden email]

> >> back
> waiting
> happening.

> the

> >> unset

> once a

> >> intervention
> >> the

RE: Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

Peter Jackson-2
So Adrien, did it?

Personally I haven’t paid attention when I keep registers open overnight, which I often do, but certainly opening them the next day the date has updated. (this is without restarting GC) It’s already past midnight here, but I’ll watch Thursday and see what happens.

-Adrien

> On May 10, 2017, at 12:46 AM, Peter Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John, I use 2.6.16 on Windows 10. Gnucash has never auto-changed the date in the registers. Have I missed a setting?
>
> Peter

The registers that were left open stayed at 5/10/17. Opening new registers or re-opening those left open resulted in blank transaction entries at the bottom with the current date. So nothing special, GC just reading the current date when the register opens.

-Adrien

I see. I just ran a test SX and I had unchecked the ‘Notify me when created’ option. I really didn’t like the result. It did tell me one was created but no other info about that TX whatsoever. It oddly also told me that none needed to be created though it had just done so and in fact needed to do so ‘since last run.’ I suppose the ‘need to’ might refer to SX that would need my approval, of which there were none. But it still read oddly.

I agree, it would be nice to see maybe a mini-register with all splits visible showing the actual transactions created or to be approved. I just learned variables are possible and require user input. I wonder if a useless variable like “ × a " might be something of a workaround. (where I’d enter “1” as the multiplier) I’ll test that next.

-Adrien

> On 11 May 2017 at 02:54, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Dave & David,
>
> I too prefer to see those transactions to make sure they were correctly created. I certainly was not suggesting otherwise. (this is already optional of course)
>

> > On May 10, 2017, at 7:07 AM, Dave H <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > I also like to give my scheduled txns the once over.  I would be nice if
> > the "Review create transactions" option was a preference (I haven't found
> > it anywhere at least) that I could set on permanently and forget as
> > sometimes I click the OK button before clicking the checkbox and end up
> > inadvertantly dismissing the popup instead of reviewing the txns :-(
> >
> > Cheers Dave H.
>
> Check the setting in the Overview tab when editing the SX “Notify me when created.” Is that not what you are looking for? There’s also a Preference to set this by default for all future SXs you create and a Preference to “Show Notification Window” under the Since Last Run section of Preferences > Scheduled Transactions.
>
> -Adrien
>

> > On 10 May 2017 at 21:22, David Carlson <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >> I do not want the transactions that are created automatically going by
> >> without my looking at them and seeing that they actually were created with
> >> the correct dates, amounts and accounts.
> >>
> >> If there was a chron job equivalent (maybe even without Gnucash running
> >> with the desired file open) or only in a file that GnuCash currently has
> >> open  I would want it collect all the SLR transactions that were created
> >> without supervision kept in a log for later review.
> >>
> >> David C

> >> back

> >> unset

> >> intervention
> >> the

Re: Schedule Transactions only auto run on startup

Dave H
Yes I believe the variables are limited to calculating transaction amounts
and I don't really have a use for them as I'm happy to live with an
estimated amount and update the actual amount when the transaction hits the
bank account.

I have regular fortnightly transactions where the amounts are generally
fixed rent and would like the SX to increment the periods in the
DESCRIPTION of the transactions :-)

i.e.

Statement From <<Stmt_From_Date>> to <<Stmt_To_Date>> (description line)
and also For Period <<Per_From_Date>>  to  <<Per_To_Date>> (split
description)

in the next iteration is automatically updated to

Statement From <<Stmt_From_Date>> + 14  to <<Stmt_To_Date>> +14
(description line) and also For Period <<Per_From_Date>>  + 14 to
 <<Per_To_Date>> +14 (split description).

Yeah I know, wishful thinking :-)

Cheers Dave H.