SX scheduled or not?

David Carlson-4
Hi all,

I have been using GnuCash forever, or at least 6 or 7 years.  I have
just noticed that I have a scheduled transaction set for December 3
except use the following weekday if on weekend, which means December 5,
2016.  If I open the edit SX window on this transaction using release
2.6.11 in Debian Jessie, there is no colored dot on December 3 or 5
2016, and, since the next occurrence is not shown in that view, it
appears that it will not happen in 2016 or it was already entered.  I
also see the same issue with release 2.6.12 (Mar 27 build) in Windows 7.

Curiously, from the Scheduled Transaction list window, that transaction
is shown as scheduled to next occur on December 5, 2016 and it appears
in the list under the colored dot on December 5 20156 in the calendar
portion of that page.  I suppose that means that it will happen soon but
I have it scheduled to be entered 70 days early with a reminder 84 days
before that.  The reminder has not appeared today, but it would if I
increase the reminder lead time to 85 days, so I guess that it is still
scheduled for December 5, 2016, even though I cannot find that
information in any of the 3 Edit Scheduled Transaction dialog windows.

Shouldn't it have a colored dot on the calendar in the Edit Scheduled
Transaction dialog (and perhaps be listed in a Next Scheduled box
somewhere in the dialog)?

I have not upgraded to release 2.6.13 yet on any of my systems, so if
this is fixed, it is not mentioned in the release announcement.

David C

Re: SX scheduled or not?

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 3, 2016, at 12:29 PM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using GnuCash forever, or at least 6 or 7 years.  I have just noticed that I have a scheduled transaction set for December 3 except use the following weekday if on weekend, which means December 5, 2016.  If I open the edit SX window on this transaction using release 2.6.11 in Debian Jessie, there is no colored dot on December 3 or 5 2016, and, since the next occurrence is not shown in that view, it appears that it will not happen in 2016 or it was already entered.  I also see the same issue with release 2.6.12 (Mar 27 build) in Windows 7.
>
> Curiously, from the Scheduled Transaction list window, that transaction is shown as scheduled to next occur on December 5, 2016 and it appears in the list under the colored dot on December 5 20156 in the calendar portion of that page.  I suppose that means that it will happen soon but I have it scheduled to be entered 70 days early with a reminder 84 days before that.  The reminder has not appeared today, but it would if I increase the reminder lead time to 85 days, so I guess that it is still scheduled for December 5, 2016, even though I cannot find that information in any of the 3 Edit Scheduled Transaction dialog windows.
>
> Shouldn't it have a colored dot on the calendar in the Edit Scheduled Transaction dialog (and perhaps be listed in a Next Scheduled box somewhere in the dialog)?
>
> I have not upgraded to release 2.6.13 yet on any of my systems, so if this is fixed, it is not mentioned in the release announcement.

David,

That's odd, but if in the list "next occur" doesn't say "never" then it's going to happen and whatever problem there is has to do with drawing the yellow dot. Are there other SXes that fire on December fifth?

Re: SX scheduled or not?

    In fact there are several transactions scheduled for both Dec 3 and Dec 5 in this file.  Not all of them are set to move to the following weekday.
There is no shortcut from the transaction edit dialog to the list view so it is not easy to check on when or if the next entry is really scheduled.  That is one of my issues. A shortcut would not be needed if the next occurrence box from the list view was also shown in the edit dialog.
The other is that the part of the edit dialog that is supposed to show the calendar of future scheduled entries seems to fail for the case where the scheduled date falls on Saturday and it is supposed to move to the following Monday.  However it does not fail in the list view.
David C

Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: John RallsDate: Sun, Jul 3, 2016 5:13 PMTo: David Carlson;Cc: [hidden email];Subject:Re: SX scheduled or not?
> On Jul 3, 2016, at 12:29 PM, David Carlson  wrote:> > Hi all,> > I have been using GnuCash forever, or at least 6 or 7 years.  I have just noticed that I have a scheduled transaction set for December 3 except use the following weekday if on weekend, which means December 5, 2016.  If I open the edit SX window on this transaction using release 2.6.11 in Debian Jessie, there is no colored dot on December 3 or 5 2016, and, since the next occurrence is not shown in that view, it appears that it will not happen in 2016 or it was already entered.  I also see the same issue with release 2.6.12 (Mar 27 build) in Windows 7.> > Curiously, from the Scheduled Transaction list window, that transaction is shown as scheduled to next occur on December 5, 2016 and it appears in the list under the colored dot on December 5 20156 in the calendar portion of that page.  I suppose that means that it will happen soon but I have it scheduled to be entered 70 days early with a reminder 84 days before that.  The reminder has not appeared today, but it would if I increase the reminder lead time to 85 days, so I guess that it is still scheduled for December 5, 2016, even though I cannot find that information in any of the 3 Edit Scheduled Transaction dialog windows.> > Shouldn't it have a colored dot on the calendar in the Edit Scheduled Transaction dialog (and perhaps be listed in a Next Scheduled box somewhere in the dialog)?> > I have not upgraded to release 2.6.13 yet on any of my systems, so if this is fixed, it is not mentioned in the release announcement.David,That's odd, but if in the list "next occur" doesn't say "never" then it's going to happen and whatever problem there is has to do with drawing the yellow dot. Are there other SXes that fire on December fifth?Regards,John Ralls

Re: SX scheduled or not?

Wm...
On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 05:37:17 -0700 (PDT), in
gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user, "[hidden email]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

[top posting, ugh]
[lines too long, ugh]
[stuff snipped, grrr]

I've noticed a number of these inconsistencies over the years, my most
recent was a

 monthly transaction
 last day of the month
 day after weekends

yellow dots didn't make sense so I pushed the create day up to 120 days or
some value greater than I needed and kicked off Since Last Run so that I'd
at least have place holders around the right time.  I then contacted my
bank and said do them at the start of the next month not the last day, etc.

David, is your feeling that the yellow dots are wrong or that the tx will
be wrong?  I think it is the yellow dots, i.e. just the visual bit but
haven't tested it more thoroughly as I have my own brute force method.

On Monday 04 July 2016 05:37:17 [hidden email] wrote:

>     In fact there are several transactions scheduled for both Dec 3
> and Dec 5 in this file.  Not all of them are set to move to the
> following weekday. There is no shortcut from the transaction edit
> dialog to the list view so it is not easy to check on when or if the
> next entry is really scheduled.  That is one of my issues. A shortcut
> would not be needed if the next occurrence box from the list view was
> also shown in the edit dialog. The other is that the part of the edit
> dialog that is supposed to show the calendar of future scheduled
> entries seems to fail for the case where the scheduled date falls on
> Saturday and it is supposed to move to the following Monday.  However
> it does not fail in the list view. David C
>
> Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

It took me a while to check into this and you have found a bug.

The exact circumstances to reproduce are as follows:
- a scheduled transaction
- for which the *next occurrence* falls on a saturday or sunday
- and which is set to move this to a monday

In that case the code to recalculate the occurrence dates to display on
the calendar erroneously skips that next occurrence.

I have committed a fix for this together with a potential fix for the
case of some occurrences sometimes jumping up and down.

Both will appear in the upcoming 2.6.14. You may want to test tomorrow's
nightly already.

Re: SX scheduled or not?

Thank you.
David C

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 ACTIVE™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone