Reporting positive and negative customer balances separately.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Reporting positive and negative customer balances separately.

Buddha Buck
I'm treasurer for a membership organization, where our main income is
monthly membership dues.  Some of our members pay their dues well in
advance, some are delinquent in paying their dues.  I suspect this is
typical of many organizations/businesses with recurring monthly
payments/subscriptions.

Currently I am using accrual bookkeeping, and using the business tools in
GnuCash to handle this.  When a member joins, I create monthly invoices so
that the income from their membership is spread out across the year, and I
record their payments when they make them.  This means that for some of our
members they show a net credit when I look at their Customer Report, and
for others they show a net debit.

On the Balance Sheet report, and on the Accounts tab, the balance shown for
A/R is the total dues in arrears less the total dues paid ahead.  If Tom
hasn't paid $50/mo for 3 months, and John is ahead in his dues by 3 months,
the balance sheet will show and A/R balance of $0.

This is all expected, and reasonable, given how this is all supposed to
work.

However, I have been asked by the other officers in the organisation to
report on the amounts paid ahead, and on the amounts in arrears separately.
 They are concerned about getting overconfident by a large cash balance and
spending money now that we will need in the future.

Right now, the only way I know to do that is to generate a Customer Report
for all the members individually and manually sum up the balances.

Is there a way to customize the balance sheet report so it'll split out A/R
into the two types of account balances?
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reporting positive and negative customer balances separately.

Derek Atkins
Buddha Buck <[hidden email]> writes:

[snip]
> Is there a way to customize the balance sheet report so it'll split out A/R
> into the two types of account balances?

Have you tried the Customer Aging report?

> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reporting positive and negative customer balances separately.

Robert Smits
On May 17, 2013 09:42:18 am Derek Atkins wrote:

> Buddha Buck <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Is there a way to customize the balance sheet report so it'll split out
> > A/R into the two types of account balances?
>
> Have you tried the Customer Aging report?
>
> > Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> > You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
> -derek

What is the Customer Aging Report, and where do I find it?

--
Bob Smits <[hidden email]> VE7HS
Treasurer, Nanaimo Amateur Radio Association
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reporting positive and negative customer balances separately.

Buddha Buck
On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Robert Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Is there a way to customize the balance sheet report so it'll split out
> > > A/R into the two types of account balances?
> >
> > Have you tried the Customer Aging report?
> >
> > > Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> > > You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
> >
> > -derek
>
> What is the Customer Aging Report, and where do I find it?


This reminds me, I never answered Derek's question...

For your question, the Customer Aging Report is available (I assume) under
Reports->Business->Receivable Aging Report.

It provides a listing of all customers, their current balance, and how much
they have outstanding from invoices over different time periods -- how much
they owe from 0-30 days, from 31-60 days, from 61-90 days, and over 90
days.  The report also contains links to each customer and to their current
customer report.  It looks like a good report for working within GnuCash,
not necessarily intended to be printed out (and certainly not distributed
outside your organization).

To answer Derek's question:

Yes, assuming that the Customer Aging report is the same as the Receivable
Aging report, I have tried it.

It doesn't do quite what I wanted, although it (theoretically) has the
information I need if I'm willing to massage it by hand.  What I was hoping
for was a way to easily say that there are $800 in prepaid invoices and
$600 in outstanding unpaid invoices, giving an A/R balance of -$200.  With
the Aging report, I can get this data by adding up the positive and
negative total values separately.

Or I think I could.  I'm uncertain what settings I have to make in order to
do that.  By default, I only get a portion of the customers.  My first
thought was that it only included customers who had unpaid invoices, but I
see one customer with a negative balance, and one customer with a zero
balance, so it's not just folks with unpaid invoices.  When I select the
option "Show zero balance items", I seem to get all our customers, both
those who have paid ahead and those who haven't (as well those with zero
balances).  The total shown at the bottom of the page does not match the
 A/R balance on the balance sheet for the same time (it's off by $20).

It's possible I'm asking too much of the report, or I just don't understand
it, but until I know it's limitations I'm not going to trust it.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reporting positive and negative customer balances separately.

Derek Atkins
Buddha Buck <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Robert Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> > > Is there a way to customize the balance sheet report so it'll split out
>> > > A/R into the two types of account balances?
>> >
>> > Have you tried the Customer Aging report?
>> >
>> > > Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>> > > You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>> >
>> > -derek
>>
>> What is the Customer Aging Report, and where do I find it?
>
>
> This reminds me, I never answered Derek's question...
>
> For your question, the Customer Aging Report is available (I assume) under
> Reports->Business->Receivable Aging Report.

Yes, sorry, it's labeled Receivable Aging.  Sorry.

> It provides a listing of all customers, their current balance, and how much
> they have outstanding from invoices over different time periods -- how much
> they owe from 0-30 days, from 31-60 days, from 61-90 days, and over 90
> days.  The report also contains links to each customer and to their current
> customer report.  It looks like a good report for working within GnuCash,
> not necessarily intended to be printed out (and certainly not distributed
> outside your organization).
>
> To answer Derek's question:
>
> Yes, assuming that the Customer Aging report is the same as the Receivable
> Aging report, I have tried it.
>
> It doesn't do quite what I wanted, although it (theoretically) has the
> information I need if I'm willing to massage it by hand.  What I was hoping
> for was a way to easily say that there are $800 in prepaid invoices and
> $600 in outstanding unpaid invoices, giving an A/R balance of -$200.  With
> the Aging report, I can get this data by adding up the positive and
> negative total values separately.

There is no report that will give you that information *AND* correlate
it per customer.  If you want the totals like this just run an Account
Report on the A/R account.

> Or I think I could.  I'm uncertain what settings I have to make in order to
> do that.  By default, I only get a portion of the customers.  My first
> thought was that it only included customers who had unpaid invoices, but I
> see one customer with a negative balance, and one customer with a zero
> balance, so it's not just folks with unpaid invoices.  When I select the
> option "Show zero balance items", I seem to get all our customers, both
> those who have paid ahead and those who haven't (as well those with zero
> balances).  The total shown at the bottom of the page does not match the
>  A/R balance on the balance sheet for the same time (it's off by $20).
>
> It's possible I'm asking too much of the report, or I just don't understand
> it, but until I know it's limitations I'm not going to trust it.

You are.  :)

> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.