Relocation of path for preference files?

Relocation of path for preference files?

randix
Is it possible to permanently redirect the path (location) of my preference files (which preferences it's my understanding are totally reflected in: .gconf, .gconfd, gnome2, .gnome2_private, .gnucash, and aqbanking)?

I currently have my main data file located in my google drive directory so that it will be automatically backed up to my cloud google drive, and available to share by my other computers (understanding, of course, that only one person can be working in the file at any one time).  I would like to relocate the location of my preference files to also be located within that google drive directory.

Thanks.

Re: Relocation of path for preference files?

David Carlson
On 12/29/2012 10:04 AM, Steve wrote:

> Is it possible to permanently redirect the path (location) of my preference
> files (which preferences it's my understanding are totally reflected in:
> .gconf, .gconfd, gnome2, .gnome2_private, .gnucash, and aqbanking)?
>
> I currently have my main data file located in my google drive directory so
> that it will be automatically backed up to my cloud google drive, and
> available to share by my other computers (understanding, of course, that
> only one person can be working in the file at any one time).  I would like
> to relocate the location of my preference files to also be located within
> that google drive directory.
>
> Thanks.

Have you considered the possibility that some malefactor may find a way
to purloin a copy of your data file?

I would not put my data file in any cloud, regardless of how secure it
appears to be.

David C

0xDC7C8BF3.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Relocation of path for preference files?

Dean Gibson

On 2012-12-29 21:39, David Carlson wrote:

> On 12/29/2012 10:04 AM, Steve wrote:
>> Is it possible to permanently redirect the path (location) of my preference
>> files (which preferences it's my understanding are totally reflected in:
>> .gconf, .gconfd, gnome2, .gnome2_private, .gnucash, and aqbanking)?
> Have you considered the possibility that some malefactor may find a way
> to purloin a copy of your data file?
>
> I would not put my data file in any cloud, regardless of how secure it
> appears to be.

It's even worse than putting his data file in the cloud;  he wants to
put aqbanking in the cloud.  Mine is less than 40KB.  It can be backed
up to almost anything (eg, USB memory stick, which are pretty cheap) and
secured off-site.

-- Dean

Re: Relocation of path for preference files?

randix
Risk aside, my question was, and I remain interested in knowing if it's possible to relocate the path of the files in question.

Re: Relocation of path for preference files?

Colin Law-4
On 30 December 2012 12:20, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Risk aside, my question was, and I remain interested in knowing if it's
> possible to relocate the path of the files in question.

You could replace the folders with links to the new locations.

Colin

Re: Relocation of path for preference files?

Geert Janssens
On 30-12-12 13:20, Steve wrote:

> Risk aside, my question was, and I remain interested in knowing if it's
> possible to relocate the path of the files in question.

If you are on Windows or Mac, you can set the HOME parameter in the
gnucash environment file to the base path where you want all the
preference files and directories to be stored in. I wouldn't do this on
any linux system though, because you would be relocating files and
folders that other applications depend on as well.

The environment file on Windows can be found in
<path-where-you-installed-gnucash>\etc\gnucash

There are other path setting examples in this directory which you can
mimic to setup a HOME parameter.

Last note: the environment file gets overwritten when you upgrade
gnucash, so after updates you will have to add your HOME parameter again.

Re: Relocation of path for preference files?

randix
Thank you, Geert.  Response much appreciated.  Have a good New Year.

On Dec 30, 2012, at 4:52 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30-12-12 13:20, Steve wrote:
>> Risk aside, my question was, and I remain interested in knowing if it's
>> possible to relocate the path of the files in question.
>>

>> --
> If you are on Windows or Mac, you can set the HOME parameter in the gnucash environment file to the base path where you want all the preference files and directories to be stored in. I wouldn't do this on any linux system though, because you would be relocating files and folders that other applications depend on as well.
>
> The environment file on Windows can be found in
> <path-where-you-installed-gnucash>\etc\gnucash
>
> There are other path setting examples in this directory which you can mimic to setup a HOME parameter.
>
> Last note: the environment file gets overwritten when you upgrade gnucash, so after updates you will have to add your HOME parameter again.

Macs are Unix. You shouldn't globally change $HOME there, either. You *can* however, change it in the startup script, Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash.

There's also $GNC_DOT_DIR, which controls the location of gnucash's own files, and which defaults to  $HOME/.gnucash/ and on Macs is set in that same script to Library/Application Support/Gnucash.

Other than fiddling $HOME I don't know of any way to relocate .aqbanking or .gconf... and on Linux, GConf is a service used by a number of applications.

On 30 December 2012 16:00, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Other than fiddling $HOME I don't know of any way to relocate .aqbanking or .gconf... and on Linux, GConf is a service used by a number of applications.

Using a link should work should it not?

Colin

Re: Relocation of path for preference files?

John Ralls-2

On Dec 30, 2012, at 8:04 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30 December 2012 16:00, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Other than fiddling $HOME I don't know of any way to relocate .aqbanking or .gconf... and on Linux, GConf is a service used by a number of applications.
>
> Using a link should work should it not?

On Linux or Mac, it *should*, but I'd test carefully. On M$Win, maybe. Their idea of links is different from Unix's.

On 30-12-12 17:00, John Ralls wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2012, at 4:52 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 30-12-12 13:20, Steve wrote:
>>> Risk aside, my question was, and I remain interested in knowing if it's
>>> possible to relocate the path of the files in question.
>>>

>>> --
>> If you are on Windows or Mac, you can set the HOME parameter in the gnucash environment file to the base path where you want all the preference files and directories to be stored in. I wouldn't do this on any linux system though, because you would be relocating files and folders that other applications depend on as well.
>>
>> The environment file on Windows can be found in
>> <path-where-you-installed-gnucash>\etc\gnucash
>>
>> There are other path setting examples in this directory which you can mimic to setup a HOME parameter.
>>
>> Last note: the environment file gets overwritten when you upgrade gnucash, so after updates you will have to add your HOME parameter again.
>>
> Macs are Unix. You shouldn't globally change $HOME there, either. You *can* however, change it in the startup script, Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash.
Thanks for clarifying this on mac.

Note that I didn't give instructions to change $HOME *globally*. My
instructions (editing GnuCash' environment file) would only change $HOME
for GnuCash. It could be done like this on Mac as well by editing the
environment file found in the Gnucash.app bundle somehwere. Unless this
file is not present in the Mac bundle. Perhaps you don't use it.

My main motivation for not suggesting it on linux is that it's the only
platform that uses gconf globally for many applications. On both mac and
windows GnuCash uses its private gconf instance.

Re: Relocation of path for preference files?

Steven Hale-2
> Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:04:03 +0000
> From: Colin Law <[hidden email]>
> To: John Ralls <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>
> Using a link should work should it not?

I can confirm under Linux using symbolic links to move the preference
files works file.

I keep all my GnuCash stuff in:

/home/hale/Project/Finance

I have the following two links setup:

/home/hale/.gnucash -> /home/hale/Project/Finance/Gnucash
/home/hale/.gconf/apps/gnucash -> /home/hale/Project/Finance/Gconf/apps/gnucash

And everything under /home/hale/Project/Finance is an SVN repository.
My GnuCash file is uncompressed XML so it works better with SVN rather
than constantly committing the whole gzipped version.

I can then checkout and update all my finance stuff on different
systems - my home PC, my work PC, and my laptop.  Using the symbolic
links ensures that GnuCash always opens that way I left it (account
tabs etc.) no matter which PC I am using.

There might be a better way but this works for me.

Steve.

On 30-12-12 18:45, Steven Hale wrote:

>> Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:04:03 +0000
>> From: Colin Law <[hidden email]>
>> To: John Ralls <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Using a link should work should it not?
>>
> I can confirm under Linux using symbolic links to move the preference
> files works file.
>
> I keep all my GnuCash stuff in:
>
> /home/hale/Project/Finance
>
> I have the following two links setup:
>
> /home/hale/.gnucash -> /home/hale/Project/Finance/Gnucash
> /home/hale/.gconf/apps/gnucash -> /home/hale/Project/Finance/Gconf/apps/gnucash
Nice trick on the gconf stuff. It never occurred to me to only relocate
part of the tree (the gnucash subtree in this case).