Register Question: Does it Matter Which One?

Register Question: Does it Matter Which One?

sunfish62
So, my accounts have two people's paychecks in them: mine, and my spouse's.
When I set up mine back in Quicken, I created a Payroll account that "received"
my income. Each pay day, I put in the total paycheck amount, and then
transferred the various deductions into categories (which got turned into
accounts in GC--no problem), with a final transfer for the amount that made it
into my checking account. So far, so good.

When I got to doing my wife's paychecks (still in Quicken), I got lazy, and put
her checks directly into the checking account, with the same basic layout: an
initial deposit for the gross amount, followed by deductions for the various
lines, with the remainder being the deposit into the account. When I imported
this into GC, I *thought* I would have to re-do her paychecks (especially since
transfers into her 401k account weren't imported as part of this transaction
but as separate transactons of their own). So, I started to remove a split from
a paycheck transaction in the checking account, and saw that the changes I made
there turned up in the other accounts that form part of the splits.

It looks to me as if there's really only *one* transaction and its splits,
which are displayed in each register as needed. This is borne out by the fact
that the entire transaction appears in each register it touches.

If that is the case, then, is there any difference where I enter a transaction?
If I put a paycheck into a Payroll account, and then transfer the entire sum
into other accounts, is that any different from creating the transaction in,
say the Federal Tax account and doing the same? Since the entire transaction
appears in every register, I would think not, but I don't want to find out
later that my misunderstanding caused me troubles.

Liz

Re: Register Question: Does it Matter Which One?

Liz
On Monday 11 September 2006 16:03, David T. wrote:
> If that is the case, then, is there any difference where I enter a
> transaction?
No.
> If I put a paycheck into a Payroll account, and then transfer
> the entire sum into other accounts, is that any different from creating the
> transaction in, say the Federal Tax account and doing the same? Since the
> entire transaction appears in every register, I would think not, but I
> don't want to find out later that my misunderstanding caused me troubles.
You can put it in from any of the involved accounts.
I've been doing that for year and I'm still on speaking terms with the
accountant.
Liz

--
Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will
be

"David T." <[hidden email]> writes:

> It looks to me as if there's really only *one* transaction and its splits,
> which are displayed in each register as needed. This is borne out by the fact
> that the entire transaction appears in each register it touches.

This is exactly how split transactions work.  A "balanced Transaction"
is a collection of two or more Splits.  The Transaction supplies the
Description, Date, and a common (balancing) currency.  Each Split
provides an Account, a memo, an Account Amount, and a Transaction
Value.  (There's obiously more that I'm leaving out, but these are the
basics).

> If that is the case, then, is there any difference where I enter a
> transaction?

The only difference is the currency chosen for the "transaction
balacing currency" or "common currency".