Register Column Widths

fleet
Didn't find this subject in the Wiki FAQs; so how do I modify the widths
of the columns in the register.  I got the date column to behave; but I
can't seem to change the width of any of the other columns.  In
particular, "description" which takes up most of the screen display.

I'm using CentOS 5, Gnome desktop, and GnuCash 2.2.4.

Thanks for any help.

  - fleet -

Re: Register Column Widths

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_resize_my_register_columns.3F__Why_can_I_not_shrink_the_description_column.3F

> - fleet -

Liz

Re: wiki was: Register Column Widths

Liz
On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quoting Fleet Teachout <[hidden email]>:
> > Didn't find this subject in the Wiki FAQs; so how do I modify the widths
> > of the columns in the register.  I got the date column to behave; but I
> > can't seem to change the width of any of the other columns.  In
> > particular, "description" which takes up most of the screen display.
> >
> > I'm using CentOS 5, Gnome desktop, and GnuCash 2.2.4.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_resize_my_register_columns.3F_
>_Why_can_I_not_shrink_the_description_column.3F
>
> > - fleet -

This underlines a previous discussion that the wiki needs some work. N one has
yet stepped forward to edit the wiki.
I admit that I can write documentation if the facts are provided (and I don't
write code)
and like the rest of Gnucash users with my skills, I'm keeping them hidden
like a light under a bushell.
Any volunteers with time to start a wiki edit to supplement those FAQs with a
version which uses the benefits of the wiki system to navigate them?

--
Anyway, there's plenty of room for doubt.  It might seem easy enough,
but computer language design is just like a stroll in the park.

Jurassic Park, that is.
             -- Larry Wall in <[hidden email]>

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Fleet Teachout <[hidden email]>:
>>> Didn't find this subject in the Wiki FAQs; so how do I modify the widths
>>> of the columns in the register.  I got the date column to behave; but I
>>> can't seem to change the width of any of the other columns.  In
>>> particular, "description" which takes up most of the screen display.

>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_resize_my_register_columns.3F_
>> _Why_can_I_not_shrink_the_description_column.3F

Hmmm.  Ok.  Missed it in my review of the FAQS.  However, I now have a
REAL problem.  I should have stated that the date was the ONLY column I
could expand.  I just tried expanding the columns to the right of
"Description" and now I can't read any of them.  They are just 4 lines
down the right side of the display.

SO, how do I get, at least, back to where I was.  (I *didn't* save the
file; but apparently GC did.  Getting out and reinvoking GC doesn't
restore my previous situation.  At this time, GC is totally useless.)

  - fleet -

Re: wiki was: Register Column Widths

Derek Atkins
Quoting Fleet Teachout <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

>>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_resize_my_register_columns.3F_
>>> _Why_can_I_not_shrink_the_description_column.3F
>
> Hmmm.  Ok.  Missed it in my review of the FAQS.  However, I now have a
> REAL problem.  I should have stated that the date was the ONLY column I
> could expand.  I just tried expanding the columns to the right of
> "Description" and now I can't read any of them.  They are just 4 lines
> down the right side of the display.

Instead of expanding the columns it sounds like you shrunk them.
Did you grab the left side or right side of the columns when you tried
to expand them?

> SO, how do I get, at least, back to where I was.  (I *didn't* save the
> file; but apparently GC did.  Getting out and reinvoking GC doesn't
> restore my previous situation.  At this time, GC is totally useless.)

GnuCash stores the register sizes in gconf automatically.  It's
a global setting.  You'd need to clear them in gconf to reset them.

> - fleet -

Re: Register Column Widths

sunfish62
Once again, this UI feature confuses a new user. Again I will state that I think it would be easier to make the register columns behave in the way that most users have come to expect than to have to repeatedly inform them of how GC developers have set this up.

Where in the code is the auto-stretch feature set, and how might I change it either not to behave this way, or to be a selectable behavior option?

David

> Quoting Fleet Teachout <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Didn't find this subject in the Wiki FAQs; so how
> do I modify the widths
> > of the columns in the register.  I got the date column
> to behave; but I
> > can't seem to change the width of any of the other
> columns.  In
> > particular, "description" which takes up
> most of the screen display.
> >
> > I'm using CentOS 5, Gnome desktop, and GnuCash
> 2.2.4.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_resize_my_register_columns.3F__Why_can_I_not_shrink_the_description_column.3F
>

> > - fleet -

>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT
> Media Laboratory
>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board
> (SIPB)
> N1NWH
>        [hidden email]                        PGP key
> available

Re: Register Column Widths

fleet
Fixed, sort of.

I found that if I double clicked inside a column
(deposit/withdrawal/balance) GC tries to fit the column to what's in it.
(or something).

Anyway, I'm back in operation, columns are decent sizes (although I have
to scroll to see balance).

I tried modifying the widths in
~/.gconf/apps/gnucash/window/pages/register/%gconf but that doesn't seem
to have much to do with anything.

Thanks for the response.

  - fleet -

Re: Register Column Widths

It would be somewhere in src/register, I think.  I don't actually
recall where it's configured.   Look for the definition and usage
of the description column?

-derek

Quoting "David T." <[hidden email]>:

> Once again, this UI feature confuses a new user. Again I will state
> that I think it would be easier to make the register columns behave
> in the way that most users have come to expect than to have to
> repeatedly inform them of how GC developers have set this up.
>
> Where in the code is the auto-stretch feature set, and how might I
> change it either not to behave this way, or to be a selectable
> behavior option?
>
> David

Ahh.. So NOW would be a good time to reduce the description column size.

> I tried modifying the widths in
> ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash/window/pages/register/%gconf but that doesn't seem
> to have much to do with anything.

Right, because the running gconf process has the old values cached.
try editing the values using gconf-editor

> Thanks for the response.

Re: wiki was: Register Column Widths

Tommy Trussell
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This underlines a previous discussion that the wiki needs some work. N one has
> yet stepped forward to edit the wiki.
> I admit that I can write documentation if the facts are provided (and I don't
> write code)
> and like the rest of Gnucash users with my skills, I'm keeping them hidden
> like a light under a bushell.
> Any volunteers with time to start a wiki edit to supplement those FAQs with a
> version which uses the benefits of the wiki system to navigate them?

Hi -- I've installed mediawiki for a couple of web sites but have not
(yet?) become adept in the subtleties of it. (Nor do I have much spare
time at the moment, but that doesn't mean I won't find this challenge
more interesting than my current work.)  :-)

Can you describe what "benefits of the wiki system" you are thinking
of, or point to a place that has the enhancements you are hoping to
see in the GnuCash FAQ?

Alternatively you could create a scratch page under your name in the
wiki to experiment and/or show the FAQ page formatting you're thinking
of. Once the differences become clear it might require a
search/replace to the page source.

Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>
>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_resize_my_register_columns.3F_
>>_Why_can_I_not_shrink_the_description_column.3F
>>

> This underlines a previous discussion that the wiki needs some work. N one has
> yet stepped forward to edit the wiki.

I'm not sure why this underlines a problem.  I added the FAQ entry
after I received the mail which is why they didn't find the answer
ahead of time.  I've answered this question so many times that it
deserved to be a FAQ, so I created it.

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_resize_my_register_columns.3F_
>>>_Why_can_I_not_shrink_the_description_column.3F
>>>

>> This underlines a previous discussion that the wiki needs some work. N one has
>> yet stepped forward to edit the wiki.
>
> I'm not sure why this underlines a problem.  I added the FAQ entry
> after I received the mail which is why they didn't find the answer
> ahead of time.  I've answered this question so many times that it
> deserved to be a FAQ, so I created it.

I do not know what concern Elizabeth Dodd was thinking of, but it
WOULD be very nice to be able to point directly to FAQ entries using
shorter URLs. Even the shortest of the current FAQ URLs cannot survive
a text-only email message without being chopped up. Maybe a macro
could provide a set of alternate links based on the FAQ entry number
and/or a terse keyword.

There is probably a way to do it automatically (Mediawiki has all
sorts of ways to add such features) but of course it would be a major
change and would need to manage existing links. I don't know how many
"outside" pages point to the FAQs, but Mediawiki has tools to manage
internal linkage.

I'm just guessing, but this might be the sort of major change that was
being suggested.
Liz

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This underlines a previous discussion that the wiki needs some work. N
> > one has yet stepped forward to edit the wiki.
> > I admit that I can write documentation if the facts are provided (and I
> > don't write code)
> > and like the rest of Gnucash users with my skills, I'm keeping them
> > hidden like a light under a bushell.
> > Any volunteers with time to start a wiki edit to supplement those FAQs
> > with a version which uses the benefits of the wiki system to navigate
> > them?
>
> Hi -- I've installed mediawiki for a couple of web sites but have not
> (yet?) become adept in the subtleties of it. (Nor do I have much spare
> time at the moment, but that doesn't mean I won't find this challenge
> more interesting than my current work.)  :-)
>
> Can you describe what "benefits of the wiki system" you are thinking
> of, or point to a place that has the enhancements you are hoping to
> see in the GnuCash FAQ?
>
> Alternatively you could create a scratch page under your name in the
> wiki to experiment and/or show the FAQ page formatting you're thinking
> of. Once the differences become clear it might require a
> search/replace to the page source.

What I am considering is that the FAQs is long and hard to find the required
information in it.
Then the format is not inviting for anyone to add details.

so what I am thinking of is
main page

three or four pages  under that
install
running
QIF import
moving from other programs
(no particular order, that's the beauty of wiki)

then pages or paragraphs under that as needed

Derek says he just added the information to the FAQs at the last minute, but
it shouldn't be Derek's work - once a question is answered on the mailing
list then a couple of volunteers could be editing the wiki, as could anyone
else with more to add.

Feel free to look at this section of the osm wiki.
It contains the wisdom of the Au mailing list
in a way which is somewhat ordered.
It repeats information form elsewhere in the wiki and sometimes links back to
older pages.
This is the sort of reordering of the information in the Gnucash FAQs page
that I am imagining.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tips_especially_for_Aussies

Re: wiki was: Register Column Widths

Ronal B Morse
On Thursday 05 June 2008 17:27:07 Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> What I am considering is that the FAQs is long and hard
> to find the required information in it.
> Then the format is not inviting for anyone to add
> details.

When fighting the Wiki, <ctrl>+f is your friend. I don't
understand why they don't index the things.

Ron Morse

Re: wiki was: Register Column Widths

Josh Sled
Elizabeth Dodd <[hidden email]> writes:
> What I am considering is that the FAQs is long and hard to find the required
> information in it.
> Then the format is not inviting for anyone to add details.

Every individual section and FAQ is directly editable.  I don't think the
problem lies in being unable to edit it, so much as people just don't.

> so what I am thinking of is
> main page
>
> three or four pages  under that
> install
> running
> QIF import
> moving from other programs
> (no particular order, that's the beauty of wiki)

We used to have the FAQ in a similar way (broken into multiple
sections/pages).  It was hard to find things because they don't neatly
categorize, and it was annoying to search blindly for a string you *knew* was
in the FAQ, but not where.

> Derek says he just added the information to the FAQs at the last minute, but
> it shouldn't be Derek's work - once a question is answered on the mailing
> list then a couple of volunteers could be editing the wiki, as could anyone
> else with more to add.

Yup.  I'd love to see people summarizing the mailing list, either into new
posts or wiki content.  That'd be great.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}

Liz

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, you wrote:
> We used to have the FAQ in a similar way (broken into multiple
> sections/pages).  It was hard to find things because they don't neatly
> categorize, and it was annoying to search blindly for a string you *knew*
> was in the FAQ, but not where.

I would leave the long list alone, but supplement it, with paragraphs which
could link back to the original FAQ, so only one update is required

> Yup.  I'd love to see people summarizing the mailing list, either into new
> posts or wiki content.  That'd be great.

Yes, and that would be a great job for "I'd love to help but I can't code in
Scheme" people.

--

You heard me.  I won't be in for the rest of the week ... I told you.
My baby beat me up ... Oh, it is not the worst excuse I ever thought

                -- Homer Simpson
                   Itchy & Scratchy & Marge

Re: Register Column Widths

sunfish62
I'm including devel list for good reason.

I took a look through the source download for 2.2.5 (taken from http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/gnucash-2.2.5.tar.gz) but when I expanded this, my copy did not have a src/register folder. Does that make sense? My 2.2.5 src looks like:

gnucash-2.2.5/src
-rw-r--r--    1 david  david    827 Jan  7 17:06 Makefile.am
-rw-r--r--    1 david  david  20981 Apr 27 03:21 Makefile.in
-rw-r--r--    1 david  david    476 Jan  7 17:06 README
-rw-r--r--    1 david  david   2555 Jan  7 17:06 README.modules
-rw-r--r--    1 david  david   3565 Jan  7 17:06 RecnWindow.h
drwxr-xr-x    6 david  david    204 Apr 27 03:22 backend
-rw-r--r--    1 david  david   1957 Jan  7 17:06 base-typemaps.i
drwxr-xr-x   21 david  david    714 Apr 27 03:22 core-utils
drwxr-xr-x   31 david  david   1054 Apr 27 03:22 doc
drwxr-xr-x  103 david  david   3502 Apr 27 03:22 engine
-rw-r--r--    1 david  david    918 Jan  7 17:06 glib-compat.h
drwxr-xr-x   12 david  david    408 Apr 27 03:22 gnc-module
-rwxr-xr-x    1 david  david   3713 Jan  7 17:06 gnc-test-env
-rw-r--r--    1 david  david   5225 Jan  7 17:06 gnc-ui.h
-rw-r--r--    1 david  david   1525 Jan  7 17:06 guile-mappings.h
drwxr-xr-x   44 david  david   1496 Apr 27 03:22 pixmaps
-rw-r--r--    1 david  david  36779 Apr 27 03:22 swig-runtime.h
drwxr-xr-x    7 david  david    238 Apr 27 03:22 test-core
-rw-r--r--    1 david  david   5148 Jan  7 17:06 valgrind-gnucash.supp

Also, when I looked through the register folder in 2.2.4, I couldn't find any clear spot where the Description column is set to auto-resize. Is there some variable that I should use to find this?

David

> It would be somewhere in src/register, I think.  I don't
> actually
> recall where it's configured.   Look for the definition
> and usage
> of the description column?
>
> -derek
>
> Quoting "David T." <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Once again, this UI feature confuses a new user. Again
> I will state
> > that I think it would be easier to make the register
> columns behave
> > in the way that most users have come to expect than to
> have to
> > repeatedly inform them of how GC developers have set
> this up.
> >
> > Where in the code is the auto-stretch feature set, and
> how might I
> > change it either not to behave this way, or to be a
> selectable
> > behavior option?
> >
> > David
> >
> > --- On Wed, 6/4/08, Derek Atkins
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Derek Atkins <[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: Re: Register Column Widths
> >> To: "Fleet Teachout"
> <[hidden email]>
> >> Cc: [hidden email]
> >> Date: Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 5:35 PM
> >> Hi,

> FAQs; so how
> >> do I modify the widths
> date column
> >> to behave; but I
> the other
> >> columns.  In
> takes up
> >> most of the screen display.

> GnuCash
> >> 2.2.4.

> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_resize_my_register_columns.3F__Why_can_I_not_shrink_the_description_column.3F

> replies.
> Reply-All.
> >>
> >> -derek
> >>
> >> --
> >>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95
> MIT
> >> Media Laboratory
> >>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing
> Board
> >> (SIPB)
> PP-ASEL-IA
> >> N1NWH
> >>        [hidden email]                        PGP
> key
> >> available

> >> Please remember to CC this list on all your
> replies.
> >> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or
> Reply-All.
> >

> --
>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT
> Media Laboratory
>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board
> (SIPB)
> N1NWH
>        [hidden email]                        PGP key
> available

Re: Register Column Widths

Andreas Köhler
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Register Column Widths

sunfish62
Andreas--

Thanks for the response. For whatever reason, the first tarball of 2.2.5 I downloaded and expanded didn't have everything in it; re-downloading and expanding solved that quirk (computers! Ya got to love 'em!).

I will take a look in the file you referenced. (Or should I? Your comment sounds ominous. Are you suggesting that only fools tread there? If so, perhaps I qualify...)

Thanks.

David