Reconsile account and subaccount is broken by user activity

Reconsile account and subaccount is broken by user activity

Stephen Torri
I believe that I have achieve some sort of instability in my gnucash
data file. I do believe is most likely user induced. I was trying to
reconcile the present month when I noticed that a previous month
transaction was not reconciled (e.g. its 'R' field says 'n'). When I
attempted to look at the previous reconciled statement by changing the
statement date then beginning balance remained unchanged. The only way
to clear this was to reconcile the subaccount in which the transaction
appeared. This changed the beginning balance on the reconcile window and
hence my trouble. I do not know how to fix my account so that the
beginning is correct.

So my problem is my beginning balance in the reconciled window is wrong
for the parent account. I think it was because I reconciled the child
account. How do I fix the issue?

Stephen

Re: Reconsile account and subaccount is broken by user activity

Maf. King
On Thursday 15 Feb 2007, Stephen Torri wrote:

> I believe that I have achieve some sort of instability in my gnucash
> data file. I do believe is most likely user induced. I was trying to
> reconcile the present month when I noticed that a previous month
> transaction was not reconciled (e.g. its 'R' field says 'n'). When I
> attempted to look at the previous reconciled statement by changing the
> statement date then beginning balance remained unchanged. The only way
> to clear this was to reconcile the subaccount in which the transaction
> appeared. This changed the beginning balance on the reconcile window and
> hence my trouble. I do not know how to fix my account so that the
> beginning is correct.
>
> So my problem is my beginning balance in the reconciled window is wrong
> for the parent account. I think it was because I reconciled the child
> account. How do I fix the issue?
>
> Stephen

Hi,

I think you don't have to worry about the opening balance if your accounts
might be messed up.

GnuCash calculates the opening balance, so if you think your data is messed
up, you know that the calculation might be wrong too!

If the end balance matches the statement after reconciling normally (but you
might need to check older statements/transactions too - if they are in the
reconcile dialog box) then you will have fixed some errors in your file.
Everything should be OK next month.

HTH,
Maf.

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 22:55 +0000, Maf. King wrote:

> I think you don't have to worry about the opening balance if your accounts
> might be messed up.
>
> GnuCash calculates the opening balance, so if you think your data is messed
> up, you know that the calculation might be wrong too!
>
> If the end balance matches the statement after reconciling normally (but you
> might need to check older statements/transactions too - if they are in the
> reconcile dialog box) then you will have fixed some errors in your file.
> Everything should be OK next month.
>
> HTH,
> Maf.

Even with GnuCash calculating the beginning balance for the period I
find that I have a problem. When I took the bank statement and checked
off what in the statement I found that I had a 341.55 difference saying
I need more transactions sayings funds were taken out. When I did the
reconciliation, before I did the sub-account reconciliation, the
beginning balance was spot on with the bank. They only problem then was
this transaction that was not capture in the previous month's
reconciliation for some reason. Now GnuCash will not let me finish the
reconcilation process until the difference between the Funds In and
Funds Out is zero.

Stephen

Re: Reconsile account and subaccount is broken by user activity

Derek Atkins
Quoting Stephen Torri <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 22:55 +0000, Maf. King wrote:
>> I think you don't have to worry about the opening balance if your accounts
>> might be messed up.
>>
>> GnuCash calculates the opening balance, so if you think your data is messed
>> up, you know that the calculation might be wrong too!
>>
>> If the end balance matches the statement after reconciling normally (but you
>> might need to check older statements/transactions too - if they are in the
>> reconcile dialog box) then you will have fixed some errors in your file.
>> Everything should be OK next month.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Maf.
>
> Even with GnuCash calculating the beginning balance for the period I
> find that I have a problem. When I took the bank statement and checked
> off what in the statement I found that I had a 341.55 difference saying
> I need more transactions sayings funds were taken out. When I did the
> reconciliation, before I did the sub-account reconciliation, the
> beginning balance was spot on with the bank. They only problem then was
> this transaction that was not capture in the previous month's
> reconciliation for some reason. Now GnuCash will not let me finish the
> reconcilation process until the difference between the Funds In and
> Funds Out is zero.

A) Click on the "include subaccounts"
B) Click on the last-month transaction too!

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 18:54 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:

> > Even with GnuCash calculating the beginning balance for the period I
> > find that I have a problem. When I took the bank statement and checked
> > off what in the statement I found that I had a 341.55 difference saying
> > I need more transactions sayings funds were taken out. When I did the
> > reconciliation, before I did the sub-account reconciliation, the
> > beginning balance was spot on with the bank. They only problem then was
> > this transaction that was not capture in the previous month's
> > reconciliation for some reason. Now GnuCash will not let me finish the
> > reconcilation process until the difference between the Funds In and
> > Funds Out is zero.
>
> A) Click on the "include subaccounts"

The check box was already selected so I know it was including the
subaccounts.

> B) Click on the last-month transaction too!

I went into the subaccount and did a reconciliation on it alone
yesterday. Now that it is done last month's transaction does not appear.

I appreciate the suggestion but the negative unresolved balance in the
reconciliation window is still there.

Stephen Torri <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 18:54 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> > Even with GnuCash calculating the beginning balance for the period I
>> > find that I have a problem. When I took the bank statement and checked
>> > off what in the statement I found that I had a 341.55 difference saying
>> > I need more transactions sayings funds were taken out. When I did the
>> > reconciliation, before I did the sub-account reconciliation, the
>> > beginning balance was spot on with the bank. They only problem then was
>> > this transaction that was not capture in the previous month's
>> > reconciliation for some reason. Now GnuCash will not let me finish the
>> > reconcilation process until the difference between the Funds In and
>> > Funds Out is zero.
>>
>> A) Click on the "include subaccounts"
>
> The check box was already selected so I know it was including the
> subaccounts.
>
>> B) Click on the last-month transaction too!
>
> I went into the subaccount and did a reconciliation on it alone
> yesterday. Now that it is done last month's transaction does not appear.

Why did you reconcile the subaccount separately?  Do you have a printed
statement for the subaccount?

> I appreciate the suggestion but the negative unresolved balance in the
> reconciliation window is still there.

If the ending balance isn't balancing and all transactions are marked
as reconciled, then that means you're missing a transaction somewhere.
You'll have to go backwards in time and find your missing transaction.

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 12:50 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:

> > I went into the subaccount and did a reconciliation on it alone
> > yesterday. Now that it is done last month's transaction does not appear.
>
> Why did you reconcile the subaccount separately?  Do you have a printed
> statement for the subaccount?

I could not see a way to get a transaction from a previous period to be
reconciled. So I did the sub account.

I think I need to explain how I am using GnuCash. If I am doing
something that I should not then please correct me. My intention was to
have subaccounts for my checking account so that I could put in the
money that I was budgeting or saving for certain things. This way I
could clearly see how much money was left for groceries for example. So
this has work well for me. Is this the wrong way to do it?

Stephen

Liz

On Saturday 17 February 2007 11:01, Stephen Torri wrote:
> I think I need to explain how I am using GnuCash. If I am doing
> something that I should not then please correct me. My intention was to
> have subaccounts for my checking account so that I could put in the
> money that I was budgeting or saving for certain things. This way I
> could clearly see how much money was left for groceries for example. So
> this has work well for me. Is this the wrong way to do it?
You can do as you please
but you can only reconcile the account which has the statement
which here appears to be the checking account
there is no time limit on reconciling transactions
so I may have something entered in my accounts - a cheque - which to me
is 'spent' money, but it is the account because the recipient has not cashed
the cheque. Whenever it gets cashed I can proceed with marking that
transaction as reconciled. No, I don't change the date.

--
QOTD:
        Silence is the only virtue he has left.

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 11:57 +1100, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> You can do as you please
> but you can only reconcile the account which has the statement
> which here appears to be the checking account
> there is no time limit on reconciling transactions

Ok. Now how do I recover so that I am back on track?

Stephen

Re: Reconsile account and subaccount is broken by user activity

Quoting Stephen Torri <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 12:50 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> > I went into the subaccount and did a reconciliation on it alone
>> > yesterday. Now that it is done last month's transaction does not appear.
>>
>> Why did you reconcile the subaccount separately?  Do you have a printed
>> statement for the subaccount?
>
> I could not see a way to get a transaction from a previous period to be
> reconciled. So I did the sub account.

When you click on the "include subaccounts" button, then the reconcile
window pulls in all the transactions from the subaccounts.  It also
pulls in all unreconciled transactions dated prior to the reconciliation
date.  So the way you reconcile a transaction from a previous period is
that you just click it when you're in the reconcile window and viola,
it'll be reconciled!

> I think I need to explain how I am using GnuCash. If I am doing
> something that I should not then please correct me. My intention was to
> have subaccounts for my checking account so that I could put in the
> money that I was budgeting or saving for certain things. This way I
> could clearly see how much money was left for groceries for example. So
> this has work well for me. Is this the wrong way to do it?

Nope, this is a very common way to do bucket budgetting.  nothing wrong
with this.  Just click on the "include subaccounts" and all your subaccount
transactions will be pulled into your reconcile dialog.  But you should
always reconcile from the master (parent) account.

> Stephen

GnuCash 2.0.5 - make problem

Ronal B Morse
First, congratulations on the new release.

When I try to install from tarball onto Kubuntu 7.04 pre-4 (yes, I know,
it's not even beta yet) with the 2.6.20-8 kernel I get a clean
configure, but make fails with  errors:

--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
../../../src/gnome-utils/.libs/libgncmod-gnome-utils.so: undefined
reference to `gtk_html_print'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [test-gnc-recurrence] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/home/ron/Desktop/gnucash-2.0.5/src/gnome-utils/test'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/ron/Desktop/gnucash-2.0.5/src/gnome-utils'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/ron/Desktop/gnucash-2.0.5/src/gnome-utils'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ron/Desktop/gnucash-2.0.5/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ron/Desktop/gnucash-2.0.5'
make: *** [all] Error 2

GnuCash 2.0.4 (still) runs great on the same installation, but I haven't
tried to build it on the current configuration. Please let me know if I
can provide any additional information.

Would appreciate any assistance.

Ron Morse

Re: GnuCash 2.0.5 - make problem

David Reiser

On 19 Feb 2007, at 12:37:26 AM, Ronal B Morse wrote:

> First, congratulations on the new release.
>
> When I try to install from tarball onto Kubuntu 7.04 pre-4 (yes, I
> know,
> it's not even beta yet) with the 2.6.20-8 kernel I get a clean
> configure, but make fails with  errors:
>
> --rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> ../../../src/gnome-utils/.libs/libgncmod-gnome-utils.so: undefined
> reference to `gtk_html_print'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[5]: *** [test-gnc-recurrence] Error 1
> make[5]: Leaving directory
> `/home/ron/Desktop/gnucash-2.0.5/src/gnome-utils/test'
> make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[4]: Leaving directory
> `/home/ron/Desktop/gnucash-2.0.5/src/gnome-utils'
> make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/ron/Desktop/gnucash-2.0.5/src/gnome-utils'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ron/Desktop/gnucash-2.0.5/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ron/Desktop/gnucash-2.0.5'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> GnuCash 2.0.4 (still) runs great on the same installation, but I
> haven't
> tried to build it on the current configuration. Please let me know
> if I
> can provide any additional information.
>
> Would appreciate any assistance.
>
> Ron Morse

gtkhtml removed that symbol (gtk_html_print) without 'telling
anyone'. I think it happened in a recent 3.13.x version. I'm still
using 3.10.2. There was a short thread on the -devel list Friday.

Dave
--
David Reiser

Re: GnuCash 2.0.5 - make problem

Derek Atkins
Quoting David Reiser <[hidden email]>:

[snip]

>> --rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
>> ../../../src/gnome-utils/.libs/libgncmod-gnome-utils.so: undefined
>> reference to `gtk_html_print'
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[5]: *** [test-gnc-recurrence] Error 1
[snip]
> gtkhtml removed that symbol (gtk_html_print) without 'telling
> anyone'. I think it happened in a recent 3.13.x version. I'm still
> using 3.10.2. There was a short thread on the -devel list Friday.

Yes, this issue hasn't been changed.  You'd have the same build error
with ANY version of gnucash.  Downgrade libgtkhtml to a non-broken version.

> Dave

Re: GnuCash 2.0.5 - make problem

Ronal B Morse
On Monday 19 February 2007 07:44:40 am Derek Atkins wrote:

> Yes, this issue hasn't been changed.  You'd have the same build error
> with ANY version of gnucash.  Downgrade libgtkhtml to a non-broken
> version.

Which, in my profound ignorance, is non-trivial.  Will seek help from
the Ubuntu people who seem to live for challenges like this.

Thank you
Ron Morse