Reconciling questions

timzak
Hi, I've been using Gnucash for about a month now and I'm still learning about it.  I have input about 4.5 months of data (from Jan 1st to present) and am pretty satisfied with the program so far.  I have not yet done any reconciling.

1) Is it required to reconcile accounts that are reconcilable?  So far I've only cleared the transactions, and everything seems fine.

2) (If I do decide to reconcile) how would I go about reconciling January when my bank's statements appear to be mid-month to mid-month.  I have no data in Gnucash prior to Jan. 1st, so how can I reconcile January when the bank statement begins in mid-December?

Thanks for your time.

Re: Reconciling questions

Tommy Trussell
On 5/21/08, timzak <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi, I've been using Gnucash for about a month now and I'm still learning
>  about it.  I have input about 4.5 months of data (from Jan 1st to present)
>  and am pretty satisfied with the program so far.  I have not yet done any
>  reconciling.
>
>  1) Is it required to reconcile accounts that are reconcilable?  So far I've
>  only cleared the transactions, and everything seems fine.

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I believe you don't HAVE
to reconcile anything -- assuming everything you do is perfect and
always in agreement with the bank! (Reconciling is just a method of
verification with the bank statements.)

>  2) (If I do decide to reconcile) how would I go about reconciling January
>  when my bank's statements appear to be mid-month to mid-month.  I have no
>  data in Gnucash prior to Jan. 1st, so how can I reconcile January when the
>  bank statement begins in mid-December?

You can either a) ignore all transactions before January 1st, and
adjust your starting balance to bring the first January reconcile to
zero, or b) you could go ahead and enter all the December transactions
from the statement into December. (In my opinion this might be less
error-prone because it will be easy to match all the transactions.)
You still have to enter a starting balance, but if you enter the
transactions it can be equal to the statement's starting balance.

HOWEVER on both of my answers IANA (I Am Not an Accountant) so others
may be able to clarify, amend or correct what I've written.

Re: Reconciling questions

Ronal B Morse
On Wednesday 21 May 2008 14:37:33 timzak wrote:

> Hi, I've been using Gnucash for about a month now and I'm
> still learning about it.  I have input about 4.5 months
> of data (from Jan 1st to present) and am pretty satisfied
> with the program so far.  I have not yet done any
> reconciling.
>
> 1) Is it required to reconcile accounts that are
> reconcilable?  So far I've only cleared the transactions,
> and everything seems fine.
>
> 2) (If I do decide to reconcile) how would I go about
> reconciling January when my bank's statements appear to
> be mid-month to mid-month.  I have no data in Gnucash
> prior to Jan. 1st, so how can I reconcile January when
> the bank statement begins in mid-December?
>
> Thanks for your time.

I had a partial first month when I started Gnucash and my
approach was to make a dummy transaction into the first
month's entries that made the reconciliation work against
the next bank statement I received (balance adjustment,
ex:miscellaneous). Since then I have been scrupulous about
reconciling against the statement.

If you download account activity from your bank on a regular
basis you can reconcile against cleared transactions. Use
the cleared amount as the account closing balance in the
reconcile dialog and check off the transactions that have
shown to have cleared.

Re: Reconciling questions

timzak
Thanks for the reply.  I decided to go ahead and reconcile against my bank statements.  All went well until March or April's statement (can't remember which as the date of the transaction in question is right on the border).  Basically, there was a single transaction that didn't get automatically selected during the reconcile process, I think because it was a split transaction and I forgot to set it as cleared.  So in the Reconcile menu, this transaction was unchecked.  I checked it, and the reconcile process got balanced to zero (as it should).  However, when I finished reconciling, that transaction only showed a "c", not a "y" like it should if it had been reconciled.  I wasn't sure what happened, and could not figure out how to go back and reconcile just the one transaction, so I moved on to the next month's statement and saw that the transaction in question showed up in the next statement's reconciliation window.  Again, I went through each transaction, noting that they all had checks next to them.  When I got to the end, I noticed one deposit of salary that was not checked, and the balance was off by that same amount.  So I put a check next to that deposit (it was the last transaction on that month's statement), and saw the balances get to zero (balanced the month).  Everything looked great, so I applied the reconciliation.  This time I noticed that the original transaction that didn't get reconciled, was now reconciled.  Yay!  However, now this last deposit that I had to manually check in the reconcile window does not show as reconciled!  It has a "c" instead of a "y" just like the original one I mentioned.  It appears now that I have to wait til next month's statement and tack this one onto next months to reconcile it, leaving me to wonder if there will be another transaction that this happens with, leaving me in some weird endless loop.  Does this sound familiar?  Do you have any way to help me?  Am I making any sense? javascript:Nabble.smiley('anim_confused.gif',':confused:')

Thanks.
Tommy Trussell wrote

Quoting timzak <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks for the reply.  I decided to go ahead and reconcile against my bank
> statements.  All went well until March or April's statement (can't remember
> which as the date of the transaction in question is right on the border).
> Basically, there was a single transaction that didn't get automatically
> selected during the reconcile process, I think because it was a split
> transaction and I forgot to set it as cleared.  So in the Reconcile menu,
> this transaction was unchecked.  I checked it, and the reconcile process got
> balanced to zero (as it should).  However, when I finished reconciling, that
> transaction only showed a "c", not a "y" like it should if it had been
> reconciled.  I wasn't sure what happened, and could not figure out how to go
> back and reconcile just the one transaction, so I moved on to the next
> month's statement and saw that the transaction in question showed up in the
> next statement's reconciliation window.  Again, I went through each
> transaction, noting that they all had checks next to them.  When I got to
> the end, I noticed one deposit of salary that was not checked, and the
> balance was off by that same amount.  So I put a check next to that deposit
> (it was the last transaction on that month's statement), and saw the
> balances get to zero (balanced the month).  Everything looked great, so I
> applied the reconciliation.  This time I noticed that the original
> transaction that didn't get reconciled, was now reconciled.  Yay!  However,
> now this last deposit that I had to manually check in the reconcile window
> does not show as reconciled!  It has a "c" instead of a "y" just like the
> original one I mentioned.  It appears now that I have to wait til next
> month's statement and tack this one onto next months to reconcile it,
> leaving me to wonder if there will be another transaction that this happens
> with, leaving me in some weird endless loop.  Does this sound familiar?  Do
> you have any way to help me?  Am I making any sense?
> javascript:Nabble.smiley('anim_confused.gif',':confused:')
>
> Thanks.

I'm afraid it does not sound familiar, but it also doesn't sound all
that surprising..   How can a transaction that happened in the future
get reconciled?  E.g., if you took money out of an ATM on May 23rd,
how could it show up on a statement dated May 22nd?

To me it sounds like you're entering in the incorrect statement
date, or your marking your transaction dates incorrectly.

Re: Reconciling questions

timzak
I'm sorry, I don't think I made myself clear.  I never tried to reconcile a future transaction.  What led you to believe I meant that?

Let me provide a little more detail.  First, I input all my transactions from Jan to present prior to doing any reconciling (this is why I'm reconciling older transactions right now). In my April statement was a transaction for $91.14.  Somehow, during the reconciliation process, this single transaction did not get marked as reconciled, even though I manually ticked the check box next to the transaction while reconciling, and even though the balances zeroed out while reconciling.  Perhaps this is because I manually ticked the box?  I'm not sure why (maybe I forgot to clear it before reconciling), but this was the ONLY transaction that did not automatically have a tick in the check box.  Anyhow, after I finished reconciling that month, I noticed the $91.14 transaction still had a "c" instead of a "y" like all the other transactions in that statement period.

In May's statement (it ended May 21, maybe this is where you got confused?), when I started to reconcile, the $91.14 transaction showed up on the first line.  After going through the May statement, again I got the balances to zero out with the correct ending balance (the starting balance was $91.14 more than my May statement because of that one transaction).  But when I finished reconciling the May statement, there was once again one transaction that was not reconciled even though it was part of the May statement and I ticked the checkbox while reconciling.  This time it was a deposit for my salary, and it happened to be the last transaction on my May statement.  Could the fact that I had the $91.14 transaction tacked on to the front of the May statement have pushed the last transaction off?

I hope this makes more sense.

Thanks.
---- Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quoting timzak <[hidden email]>:
>

> > Thanks for the reply.  I decided to go ahead and reconcile against my bank
> > statements.  All went well until March or April's statement (can't remember
> > which as the date of the transaction in question is right on the border).
> > Basically, there was a single transaction that didn't get automatically
> > selected during the reconcile process, I think because it was a split
> > transaction and I forgot to set it as cleared.  So in the Reconcile menu,
> > this transaction was unchecked.  I checked it, and the reconcile process got
> > balanced to zero (as it should).  However, when I finished reconciling, that
> > transaction only showed a "c", not a "y" like it should if it had been
> > reconciled.  I wasn't sure what happened, and could not figure out how to go
> > back and reconcile just the one transaction, so I moved on to the next
> > month's statement and saw that the transaction in question showed up in the
> > next statement's reconciliation window.  Again, I went through each
> > transaction, noting that they all had checks next to them.  When I got to
> > the end, I noticed one deposit of salary that was not checked, and the
> > balance was off by that same amount.  So I put a check next to that deposit
> > (it was the last transaction on that month's statement), and saw the
> > balances get to zero (balanced the month).  Everything looked great, so I
> > applied the reconciliation.  This time I noticed that the original
> > transaction that didn't get reconciled, was now reconciled.  Yay!  However,
> > now this last deposit that I had to manually check in the reconcile window
> > does not show as reconciled!  It has a "c" instead of a "y" just like the
> > original one I mentioned.  It appears now that I have to wait til next
> > month's statement and tack this one onto next months to reconcile it,
> > leaving me to wonder if there will be another transaction that this happens
> > with, leaving me in some weird endless loop.  Does this sound familiar?  Do
> > you have any way to help me?  Am I making any sense?
> > javascript:Nabble.smiley('anim_confused.gif',':confused:')
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I'm afraid it does not sound familiar, but it also doesn't sound all
> that surprising..   How can a transaction that happened in the future
> get reconciled?  E.g., if you took money out of an ATM on May 23rd,
> how could it show up on a statement dated May 22nd?
>
> To me it sounds like you're entering in the incorrect statement
> date, or your marking your transaction dates incorrectly.

>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Reconciling questions

What was the posted date of the $91.14 transaction?
What was the date you entered for the April reconciliation?
What version of GnuCash are you using?

I've never seen this behavior myself.   There is absolutely no
requirements that you pre-clear a transaction prior to reconciliation,
and indeed I rarely do that myself.  Generally I click on the transactions
in the reconcile window, and I've never seen this behavior.

-derek

Quoting [hidden email]:

> [...]
>> > with, leaving me in some weird endless loop.  Does this sound
>> familiar?  Do
>> > you have any way to help me?  Am I making any sense?
>> > javascript:Nabble.smiley('anim_confused.gif',':confused:')
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> I'm afraid it does not sound familiar, but it also doesn't sound all
>> that surprising..   How can a transaction that happened in the future
>> get reconciled?  E.g., if you took money out of an ATM on May 23rd,
>> how could it show up on a statement dated May 22nd?
>>
>> To me it sounds like you're entering in the incorrect statement
>> date, or your marking your transaction dates incorrectly.

>> -derek
>> --
>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Okay, I was going by memory on my last post.  Now I'm in front of my
computer and see that this was actually a March statement, not April.

So, the posted date was 3/17/08 and the date I entered in Gnucash was
also 3/17/08.  Incidentally, I split this transaction into three
categories (groceries, clothing, holiday) as we purchased a variety of
items from a single store.  Perhaps I did something during the split
that caused this?

Currently, this transaction is reconciled, as I described in my last
post.  It was reconciled as part of the May statement.  That means I
hadn't resolved this as I was reconciling April, so it rolled over as
the first unreconciled transaction as I was reconciling the May
statement.

I am using version 2.2.4.  This is the version in the Ubuntu Hardy
repositories.  I installed from Synaptic; I did not compile myself.

As I look at my checking account in Gnucash, I see that 5/16/08 deposit
that did not reconcile (shows the "c" instead of "y") even though I saw
it in the reconcile window and ticked the checkbox next to it.  How do I
reconcile a single transaction...is it possible?

I have a feeling this is not a bug, but somehow related to a mistake I
made while splitting that original 3/17 transaction.  How I think this
happened, I can't say.  I just would like that 5/16 transaction to have
a "y" next to it.

Any more ideas?

Thanks for your time.

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 15:56 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> [...]
> >> how to go
> >> up in the
> >> that deposit
> >> However,
> >> this happens
> >> familiar?  Do

> >> I'm afraid it does not sound familiar, but it also doesn't sound all
> >> that surprising..   How can a transaction that happened in the future
> >> get reconciled?  E.g., if you took money out of an ATM on May 23rd,
> >> how could it show up on a statement dated May 22nd?
> >>
> >> To me it sounds like you're entering in the incorrect statement
> >> date, or your marking your transaction dates incorrectly.

> >> -derek
> >> --
> >>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
> >>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
> >>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

It's POSSIBLE that there's a fencepost error; that the 3/17/08
reconcile date didn't think that the 3/17/08 transaction was in the
current period.

Did the same thing happen later?  That the transaction date of the
cleared-but-not-reconciled transaction and the reconcile date were
the same?

If so...  Reconcile 1 day later (but use the same ending balance).
Does that get the transaction to convert from 'c' to 'y'?

-derek

Quoting Tim Zakharov <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> > statement period.
>> >
>> > In May's statement (it ended May 21, maybe this is where you got
>> > confused?), when I started to reconcile, the $91.14 transaction
>> > showed up on the first line.  After going through the May statement,
>> > again I got the balances to zero out with the correct ending balance
>> > (the starting balance was $91.14 more than my May statement because
>> > of that one transaction).  But when I finished reconciling the May
>> > statement, there was once again one transaction that was not
>> > reconciled even though it was part of the May statement and I ticked
>> > the checkbox while reconciling.  This time it was a deposit for my
>> > salary, and it happened to be the last transaction on my May
>> > statement.  Could the fact that I had the $91.14 transaction tacked
>> > on to the front of the May statement have pushed the last transaction

Yes, the current "cleared but not reconciled" transaction is from 5/16
and the statement ended 5/21.  It wasn't the last transaction of the
statement, but it was the last deposit of the statement (if that
matters).

How do I reconcile 1 day later?  It seems I can only reconcile with a
statement.  Does that mean I need to wait til next month's statement to
try again?  Or is there a way to reconcile a single transaction?

Thanks.

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 18:51 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I have a feeling this is not a bug, but somehow related to a mistake I
> > made while splitting that original 3/17 transaction.  How I think this
> > happened, I can't say.  I just would like that 5/16 transaction to have
> > a "y" next to it.
> >
> > Any more ideas?
> >
> > Thanks for your time.
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 15:56 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> What was the posted date of the $91.14 transaction?
> >> What was the date you entered for the April reconciliation?
> >> What version of GnuCash are you using?
> >>
> >> I've never seen this behavior myself.   There is absolutely no
> >> requirements that you pre-clear a transaction prior to reconciliation,
> >> and indeed I rarely do that myself.  Generally I click on the transactions
> >> in the reconcile window, and I've never seen this behavior.

Derek Atkins
Tim Zakharov <[hidden email]> writes:

> Yes, the current "cleared but not reconciled" transaction is from 5/16
> and the statement ended 5/21.  It wasn't the last transaction of the
> statement, but it was the last deposit of the statement (if that
> matters).

Wait, the transaction was dated 5/16 but you selected a reconcile
date of 5/21?

> How do I reconcile 1 day later?  It seems I can only reconcile with a
> statement.  Does that mean I need to wait til next month's statement to
> try again?  Or is there a way to reconcile a single transaction?

Just enter the reconcile date 1 day later.

> Thanks.

Re: Reconciling questions

timzak
Hi,

No, the statement ended 5/21 (one month statement, started around 4/21).  The particular transaction that didn't get reconciled was dated 5/16.  There were other transactions between 4/21 and 5/16, and from 5/16 to 5/21 that did get reconciled when I went through the process with my bank statement.  Somehow, this single transacation from 5/16 didn't get marked as reconciled in my register after I completed the reconciliation process.

So, is there a way to go back and reconcile this single transaction once I've already reconciled against the bank statement?  Or must I wait until the next bank statement to fix this?

Thanks.
---- Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tim Zakharov <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Yes, the current "cleared but not reconciled" transaction is from 5/16
> > and the statement ended 5/21.  It wasn't the last transaction of the
> > statement, but it was the last deposit of the statement (if that
> > matters).
>
> Wait, the transaction was dated 5/16 but you selected a reconcile
> date of 5/21?
>
> > How do I reconcile 1 day later?  It seems I can only reconcile with a
> > statement.  Does that mean I need to wait til next month's statement to
> > try again?  Or is there a way to reconcile a single transaction?
>
> Just enter the reconcile date 1 day later.
>
> > Thanks.

>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Reconciling questions

Derek Atkins
As I've said over and over -- re-run the reconcile process.

-derek

Quoting [hidden email]:

> Hi,
>
> No, the statement ended 5/21 (one month statement, started around
> 4/21).  The particular transaction that didn't get reconciled was
> dated 5/16.  There were other transactions between 4/21 and 5/16, and
> from 5/16 to 5/21 that did get reconciled when I went through the
> process with my bank statement.  Somehow, this single transacation
> from 5/16 didn't get marked as reconciled in my register after I
> completed the reconciliation process.
>
> So, is there a way to go back and reconcile this single transaction
> once I've already reconciled against the bank statement?  Or must I
> wait until the next bank statement to fix this?
>
> Thanks.
> ---- Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Tim Zakharov <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Yes, the current "cleared but not reconciled" transaction is from 5/16
>> > and the statement ended 5/21.  It wasn't the last transaction of the
>> > statement, but it was the last deposit of the statement (if that
>> > matters).
>>
>> Wait, the transaction was dated 5/16 but you selected a reconcile
>> date of 5/21?
>>
>> > How do I reconcile 1 day later?  It seems I can only reconcile with a
>> > statement.  Does that mean I need to wait til next month's statement to
>> > try again?  Or is there a way to reconcile a single transaction?
>>
>> Just enter the reconcile date 1 day later.
>>
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Reconciling questions

timzak
Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Tim

---- Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I've said over and over -- re-run the reconcile process.
>
> -derek
>
> Quoting [hidden email]:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > No, the statement ended 5/21 (one month statement, started around
> > 4/21).  The particular transaction that didn't get reconciled was
> > dated 5/16.  There were other transactions between 4/21 and 5/16, and
> > from 5/16 to 5/21 that did get reconciled when I went through the
> > process with my bank statement.  Somehow, this single transacation
> > from 5/16 didn't get marked as reconciled in my register after I
> > completed the reconciliation process.
> >
> > So, is there a way to go back and reconcile this single transaction
> > once I've already reconciled against the bank statement?  Or must I
> > wait until the next bank statement to fix this?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > ---- Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Wait, the transaction was dated 5/16 but you selected a reconcile
> >> date of 5/21?

> >> Just enter the reconcile date 1 day later.

> >> -derek
> >>
> >> --
> >>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
> >>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
> >>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available
> >

> --
>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Reconciling questions

Derek Atkins
So that worked?

-derek

Quoting [hidden email]:

> Thank you for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> ---- Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As I've said over and over -- re-run the reconcile process.
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> Quoting [hidden email]:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > No, the statement ended 5/21 (one month statement, started around
>> > 4/21).  The particular transaction that didn't get reconciled was
>> > dated 5/16.  There were other transactions between 4/21 and 5/16, and
>> > from 5/16 to 5/21 that did get reconciled when I went through the
>> > process with my bank statement.  Somehow, this single transacation
>> > from 5/16 didn't get marked as reconciled in my register after I
>> > completed the reconciliation process.
>> >
>> > So, is there a way to go back and reconcile this single transaction
>> > once I've already reconciled against the bank statement?  Or must I
>> > wait until the next bank statement to fix this?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

>> --
>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Reconciling questions

timzak
Yes, I re-ran the reconcile process for May with the same starting and
finishing date as originally, manually input the correct ending balance,
then made sure the offending transaction was checked, finished the
process and the transaction became reconciled.  Sorry I was being so
dense.  Your instructions were a little brief and I was hesitant to try
something I wasn't sure about for fear of making things worse.  But I
went ahead and played with it and it worked out alright.

Thanks again.

Tim

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 15:24 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> So that worked?
>
> -derek
>
> Quoting [hidden email]:
>
> > Thank you for your help.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tim
> >
> > ---- Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> As I've said over and over -- re-run the reconcile process.
> >>
> >> -derek
> >>
> >> Quoting [hidden email]:

> >> --
> >>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
> >>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
> >>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Reconciling questions

Doug Laidlaw
On Thursday 22 May 2008 1:46:59 pm Ronal B Morse wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 May 2008 14:37:33 timzak wrote:
> > Hi, I've been using Gnucash for about a month now and I'm
> > still learning about it.  I have input about 4.5 months
> > of data (from Jan 1st to present) and am pretty satisfied
> > with the program so far.  I have not yet done any
> > reconciling.
> >
> > 1) Is it required to reconcile accounts that are
> > reconcilable?  So far I've only cleared the transactions,
> > and everything seems fine.
> >
> > 2) (If I do decide to reconcile) how would I go about
> > reconciling January when my bank's statements appear to
> > be mid-month to mid-month.  I have no data in Gnucash
> > prior to Jan. 1st, so how can I reconcile January when
> > the bank statement begins in mid-December?
> >
> > Thanks for your time.
>
> I had a partial first month when I started Gnucash and my
> approach was to make a dummy transaction into the first
> month's entries that made the reconciliation work against
> the next bank statement I received (balance adjustment,
> ex:miscellaneous). Since then I have been scrupulous about
> reconciling against the statement.
>
> If you download account activity from your bank on a regular
> basis you can reconcile against cleared transactions. Use
> the cleared amount as the account closing balance in the
> reconcile dialog and check off the transactions that have
> shown to have cleared.

If I open a banking account mid-month, I have a cashbook balance of some kind
to show as the opening transaction.  Or, you camn set that figure as the
opening balance in the New Account setup screen.  Checks written before
starting to use the program, but not presented on that date, are the only
problem.

Doug.