Reconcile unusable

Mark Lawrence-2
With gnucash 2.6.17 on ubuntu 17.10 I cannot do anything with the
reconcile screen.  Clicking anywhere to do anything always takes me back
to the main screen, I can't even close it.  It doesn't make any
difference whether or not I make changes on the "Reconcile information"
screen.  I've tried restarting my laptop to no avail.  Several searches
have revealed nothing obvious.  Any ideas as this is very frustrating?
Do I need to raise a bug report or is there one all ready that my
searches missed?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

Re: Reconcile unusable

Ronal B Morse-2
On 01/27/2018 07:20 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> With gnucash 2.6.17 on ubuntu 17.10 I cannot do anything with the
> reconcile screen.  Clicking anywhere to do anything always takes me
> back to the main screen, I can't even close it.  It doesn't make any
> difference whether or not I make changes on the "Reconcile
> information" screen.  I've tried restarting my laptop to no avail.
> Several searches have revealed nothing obvious.  Any ideas as this is
> very frustrating? Do I need to raise a bug report or is there one all
> ready that my searches missed?

Mark, I'm on Ubuntu 17.10 and I'm not seeing this issue...the reconcile
screen and associated functions work fine.

Do you know if you are using the Wayland screen renderer or the old
X-org. X11 renderer?  if you're not sure, restart Ubuntu and on the
screen where you enter your user password there is a little gear icon
near the password dialog box.  Click on that.  One of the choices that
appear will mention Wayland, another will mention X-org.  There may be
others, depending upon the video in your computer.

Anyway, I believe that Ubuntu may default to using Wayland. That should
be indicated in the dialog.  Select the X.org option and continue your
normal login.  See if the problem with the reconcile screen persists.

Ron Morse

Re: Reconcile unusable

Mark Lawrence-2
On 28/01/18 05:50, Ronal B Morse wrote:

> On 01/27/2018 07:20 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>> With gnucash 2.6.17 on ubuntu 17.10 I cannot do anything with the
>> reconcile screen.  Clicking anywhere to do anything always takes me
>> back to the main screen, I can't even close it.  It doesn't make any
>> difference whether or not I make changes on the "Reconcile
>> information" screen.  I've tried restarting my laptop to no avail.
>> Several searches have revealed nothing obvious.  Any ideas as this is
>> very frustrating? Do I need to raise a bug report or is there one all
>> ready that my searches missed?
>>
> Mark, I'm on Ubuntu 17.10 and I'm not seeing this issue...the reconcile
> screen and associated functions work fine.
>
> Do you know if you are using the Wayland screen renderer or the old
> X-org. X11 renderer?  if you're not sure, restart Ubuntu and on the
> screen where you enter your user password there is a little gear icon
> near the password dialog box.  Click on that.  One of the choices that
> appear will mention Wayland, another will mention X-org.  There may be
> others, depending upon the video in your computer.
>
> Anyway, I believe that Ubuntu may default to using Wayland. That should
> be indicated in the dialog.  Select the X.org option and continue your
> normal login.  See if the problem with the reconcile screen persists.
>
> Ron Morse

Problem solved by following the above, thanks for such a fast response,
and over the weekend as well :)

On 01/27/2018 11:26 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> On 28/01/18 05:50, Ronal B Morse wrote:
>> On 01/27/2018 07:20 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>>> With gnucash 2.6.17 on ubuntu 17.10 I cannot do anything with the
>>> reconcile screen.  Clicking anywhere to do anything always takes me
>>> back to the main screen, I can't even close it.  It doesn't make any
>>> difference whether or not I make changes on the "Reconcile
>>> information" screen.  I've tried restarting my laptop to no avail.
>>> Several searches have revealed nothing obvious.  Any ideas as this
>>> is very frustrating? Do I need to raise a bug report or is there one
>>> all ready that my searches missed?
>>>
>> Mark, I'm on Ubuntu 17.10 and I'm not seeing this issue...the
>> reconcile screen and associated functions work fine.
>>
>> Do you know if you are using the Wayland screen renderer or the old
>> X-org. X11 renderer?  if you're not sure, restart Ubuntu and on the
>> screen where you enter your user password there is a little gear icon
>> near the password dialog box.  Click on that. One of the choices that
>> appear will mention Wayland, another will mention X-org.  There may
>> be others, depending upon the video in your computer.
>>
>> Anyway, I believe that Ubuntu may default to using Wayland. That
>> should be indicated in the dialog.  Select the X.org option and
>> continue your normal login.  See if the problem with the reconcile
>> screen persists.
>>
>> Ron Morse
>>

> Problem solved by following the above, thanks for such a fast
> response, and over the weekend as well :)

Happy to be the one that helps, for a change.

n.b., the Wayland renderer has proven problematic for Ubuntu on a number
of fronts (i.e., it's buggier than a rain forest). So much so that the
next version, 18.4, due in April, will go back to using the X-Org.
rendering system as the default.  Wayland will still be available, it
just won't be automatically selected during the installation like it is
for 17.10.

Ron Morse