Reconcile Bank Account

Volker Englisch
Just recently I started to experience a new "feature" with GC (V1.8.11).

I want to reconcile my savings account with last month's statement but
when I select the menu item to reconcile in addition to the window for
entering the ending balance and statement date GC also opens the window
to enter interest payment without my clicking that button.  At the same
time the following error message is displayed on the screen:

   Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkFrame'

   Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkframe.c: line 220 (gtk_frame_set_label):
       assertion `frame != NULL' failed.

I still can cancel out of the window and go ahead with the reconcile but
I would prefer to not have the window open in the first place.

Has anyone run into this situation before and found a solution?

--
Thanks

     Volker Englisch

mailto:[hidden email]    (h)

Re: Reconcile Bank Account

Robert Ramsdell
At the bottom of the interest window should be a button that says "No
auto interest payments for this account".  Click it and you'll never see
the window again.

Robert

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 00:36 -0400, Volker Englisch wrote:

> Just recently I started to experience a new "feature" with GC (V1.8.11).
>
> I want to reconcile my savings account with last month's statement but
> when I select the menu item to reconcile in addition to the window for
> entering the ending balance and statement date GC also opens the window
> to enter interest payment without my clicking that button.  At the same
> time the following error message is displayed on the screen:
>
>    Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkFrame'
>
>    Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkframe.c: line 220 (gtk_frame_set_label):
>        assertion `frame != NULL' failed.
>
> I still can cancel out of the window and go ahead with the reconcile but
> I would prefer to not have the window open in the first place.
>
> Has anyone run into this situation before and found a solution?

--
Robert C. Ramsdell III
5528 Middaugh Avenue

when a single transaction's full amount belongs to multiple accounts

Terrence Brannon-3
I read about Split Transactions in section 4.2.2 of the Gnucash
guide. However, I have asituation that is different from that.

Let's say I buy a chess book. I created the "Common Accounts" set of
accounts when starting, so I have both Entertainment:Recreation as
well as a Books category.

Logically, a chess book is both: the chess aspect is
Entertainment:Recreation and the  book aspect is Books. So, instead of
the dollar amount being split between these accounts, in a sense the
entire amount spent for the book belongs to both accounts.

What would you do in this case?

Re: when a single transaction's full amount belongs to multiple accounts

David Harrison-2
On 6/22/05, Terrence Brannon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I read about Split Transactions in section 4.2.2 of the Gnucash
> guide. However, I have asituation that is different from that.
>
> Let's say I buy a chess book. I created the "Common Accounts" set of
> accounts when starting, so I have both Entertainment:Recreation as
> well as a Books category.
>
> Logically, a chess book is both: the chess aspect is
> Entertainment:Recreation and the  book aspect is Books. So, instead of
> the dollar amount being split between these accounts, in a sense the
> entire amount spent for the book belongs to both accounts.
>
> What would you do in this case?

Pick whichever one is more meaningful to you.

--
David Harrison, BAccS, CGA

Re: when a single transaction's full amount belongs to multiple accounts

Eric Hanchrow
I have no useful advice whatever.

But instead I have some philosophical ramblings that are pertinent,
and (if you're so inclined) mildly interesting.  This is a problem in
ontology; here's an essay about why it's hard:

http://www.shirky.com/writings/ontology_overrated.html

(in summary: you're not the only one with this sort of problem, and
it's a hard one)

--
Using Unix is the computing equivalent of listening only to music
by David Cassidy.