Recommendations on Coding programs

Matt Graham
G’day all,

Now that I finally have myself set up to be able to view, edit and test the gnucash sources, I have come across the limitation of using text editors (using nano at the moment...) to code. Can anyone recommend a good program for doing coding for Gnucash? I’m mainly looking at the C side of things rather than guile, but a program that can do multiple types of code would be useful. Preferably ones that are supported on both windows and linux.

Cheers,

Matt G

Re: Recommendations on Coding programs

John Ralls-2

> On Oct 17, 2015, at 4:06 PM, Matt Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> G’day all,
>
> Now that I finally have myself set up to be able to view, edit and test the gnucash sources, I have come across the limitation of using text editors (using nano at the moment...) to code. Can anyone recommend a good program for doing coding for Gnucash? I’m mainly looking at the C side of things rather than guile, but a program that can do multiple types of code would be useful. Preferably ones that are supported on both windows and linux.

Matt,

Welcome.

Among us grizzled old-timers there are two camps, those who prefer emacs and those who prefer vi/vim (I’m in the emacs camp). The less grizzled prefer integrated development environments, or IDEs, of which I think Eclipse is the most popular. The IDEs are perhaps easier to learn than emacs or vi at the expense of being more mouse-oriented. All of those work on Windows, Mac, and X11, and probably Wayland and Unity too. Both emacs and vim provide integration with the compiler and debugger and so are just as much development environments as any IDE, there’s just some assembly required to get all the pieces installed and working. They’re also infinitely customizable, thus providing an infinite time sink…

Re: Recommendations on Coding programs

Mike or Penny Novack-2
On 10/17/2015 7:06 PM, Matt Graham wrote:
> G’day all,
>
> Now that I finally have myself set up to be able to view, edit and test the gnucash sources, I have come across the limitation of using text editors (using nano at the moment...) to code. Can anyone recommend a good program for doing coding for Gnucash? I’m mainly looking at the C side of things rather than guile, but a program that can do multiple types of code would be useful. Preferably ones that are supported on both windows and linux.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt G
Well during several decades writing software for a living, I wrote* a
few hundred thousand lines of code without a language sensitive editor.
But since these are now readily available, I strongly recommend you use
one. In any 'nix operating system this is no problem at all, since the
standard library of utilities will give you a choice of them.

Under Windows you probably have a choice of at least some of these. Many
decades back a friend sent me a copy of xemacs for Windows, so I know
that one existed at least that far back << I was using it just to be
able to do LISP under Windows >>

Michael D Novack

* I don't mean I entered that many keystroke by keystroke! Folks who are
experienced at the trade usually know where to find "useful chunks" and
have decent personal libraries from which chunks perhaps as big as
hundreds of lines can be grabbed and used with just a few key changes.

Re: Recommendations on Coding programs

Bob Gustafson
On 10/17/2015 08:08 PM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

> On 10/17/2015 7:06 PM, Matt Graham wrote:
>> G’day all,
>>
>> Now that I finally have myself set up to be able to view, edit and
>> test the gnucash sources, I have come across the limitation of using
>> text editors (using nano at the moment...) to code. Can anyone
>> recommend a good program for doing coding for Gnucash? I’m mainly
>> looking at the C side of things rather than guile, but a program that
>> can do multiple types of code would be useful. Preferably ones that
>> are supported on both windows and linux.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matt G
> Well during several decades writing software for a living, I wrote* a
> few hundred thousand lines of code without a language sensitive
> editor. But since these are now readily available, I strongly
> recommend you use one. In any 'nix operating system this is no problem
> at all, since the standard library of utilities will give you a choice
> of them.
>
> Under Windows you probably have a choice of at least some of these.
> Many decades back a friend sent me a copy of xemacs for Windows, so I
> know that one existed at least that far back << I was using it just to
> be able to do LISP under Windows >>
>
> Michael D Novack
>
> * I don't mean I entered that many keystroke by keystroke! Folks who
> are experienced at the trade usually know where to find "useful
> chunks" and have decent personal libraries from which chunks perhaps
> as big as hundreds of lines can be grabbed and used with just a few
> key changes.

You could take a look at the products available from
https://www.jetbrains.com/

They are not free - but are modestly priced.

For C and C++, you might take a look at CLion
https://www.jetbrains.com/clion/?fromMenu

I myself am using RubyMine and WebStorm.

Have fun

Bob G

On 10/17/2015 10:49 PM, Bob Gustafson wrote:

> On 10/17/2015 08:08 PM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
>> On 10/17/2015 7:06 PM, Matt Graham wrote:
>>> G’day all,
>>>
>>> Now that I finally have myself set up to be able to view, edit and
>>> test the gnucash sources, I have come across the limitation of using
>>> text editors (using nano at the moment...) to code. Can anyone
>>> recommend a good program for doing coding for Gnucash? I’m mainly
>>> looking at the C side of things rather than guile, but a program
>>> that can do multiple types of code would be useful. Preferably ones
>>> that are supported on both windows and linux.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Matt G
>> Well during several decades writing software for a living, I wrote* a
>> few hundred thousand lines of code without a language sensitive
>> editor. But since these are now readily available, I strongly
>> recommend you use one. In any 'nix operating system this is no
>> problem at all, since the standard library of utilities will give you
>> a choice of them.
>>
>> Under Windows you probably have a choice of at least some of these.
>> Many decades back a friend sent me a copy of xemacs for Windows, so I
>> know that one existed at least that far back << I was using it just
>> to be able to do LISP under Windows >>
>>
>> Michael D Novack
>>
>> * I don't mean I entered that many keystroke by keystroke! Folks who
>> are experienced at the trade usually know where to find "useful
>> chunks" and have decent personal libraries from which chunks perhaps
>> as big as hundreds of lines can be grabbed and used with just a few
>> key changes.
>
> You could take a look at the products available from
> https://www.jetbrains.com/
>
> They are not free - but are modestly priced.
>
> For C and C++, you might take a look at CLion
> https://www.jetbrains.com/clion/?fromMenu
>
> I myself am using RubyMine and WebStorm.
>
> Have fun
>
> Bob G

For open source projects, you can apply for a free subscription:

   https://www.jetbrains.com/buy/opensource/?product=clion

Bob G

Re: Recommendations on Coding programs

Colin Law
On 18 October 2015 at 00:06, Matt Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> G’day all,
>
> Now that I finally have myself set up to be able to view, edit and test the gnucash sources, I have come across the limitation of using text editors (using nano at the moment...) to code. Can anyone recommend a good program for doing coding for Gnucash? I’m mainly looking at the C side of things rather than guile, but a program that can do multiple types of code would be useful. Preferably ones that are supported on both windows and linux.

I like jEdit which is available on Win and Linux.

Colin

Re: Recommendations on Coding programs

Christian Stimming-4
I like QtCreator a lot. For gnucash this requires to create a list of all files that belong to the project, such as
  find . -name *.[hc] > .files
I'm not completely sure about the file name for the list, though.

Regards, Christian