Receipt scanners, recommendations?

Jeffrey Black
I am using GnuCash (Windoze version) to track multiple sets of books.
My personal, my farm, my wife's business, and for another family members
personal and business.  Needless to say I am buried up to my ears in
receipts and would like to go paperless by storing the images in
GnuCash.  My flatbed scanner works but; is not a reasonable option.

Right now, my budget would have to be a maximum of about $400 USD.  I
need to scan everything from 2 inch wide thermal receipts up to to full
size 8 1/2 X 11  inch receipts.

As soon as I can replace several legacy apps I intend to ditch Windoze
and move everything over to Unix (probably Ubuntu), so compatibility
would be an issue.

I would like to hear your recommendations.

---JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

John Ralls-2

> On Dec 21, 2017, at 11:42 AM, jeffrey black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am using GnuCash (Windoze version) to track multiple sets of books.
> My personal, my farm, my wife's business, and for another family members
> personal and business.  Needless to say I am buried up to my ears in
> receipts and would like to go paperless by storing the images in
> GnuCash.  My flatbed scanner works but; is not a reasonable option.
>
> Right now, my budget would have to be a maximum of about $400 USD.  I
> need to scan everything from 2 inch wide thermal receipts up to to full
> size 8 1/2 X 11  inch receipts.
>
> As soon as I can replace several legacy apps I intend to ditch Windoze
> and move everything over to Unix (probably Ubuntu), so compatibility
> would be an issue.
>
> I would like to hear your recommendations.

I've been very pleased with my Fujitsu ScanSnap. They publish a linux driver, see http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/sp/software/ubuntu.html.
I use mine with a Mac so I can't vouch for that part.

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

Aaron Laws

> > On Dec 21, 2017, at 11:42 AM, jeffrey black <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I am using GnuCash (Windoze version) to track multiple sets of books.
> > My personal, my farm, my wife's business, and for another family members
> > personal and business.  Needless to say I am buried up to my ears in
> > receipts and would like to go paperless by storing the images in
> > GnuCash.  My flatbed scanner works but; is not a reasonable option.
> >
> > Right now, my budget would have to be a maximum of about $400 USD.  I
> > need to scan everything from 2 inch wide thermal receipts up to to full
> > size 8 1/2 X 11  inch receipts.
> >
> > As soon as I can replace several legacy apps I intend to ditch Windoze
> > and move everything over to Unix (probably Ubuntu), so compatibility
> > would be an issue.
> >
> > I would like to hear your recommendations.

 How does this affect gnucash performance? We've heard several times that
gnucash loads everything into memory at startup and operates from there. I
assume that includes the receipt images? How many pages of images does it
take to get up to, say, 800 MB of receipts?

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

George Riner
Is your question regarding a general purpose scanner?

Or is your point about a application/tool that will process a scanned image of a receipt and create a ready-to-import file of accounts, descriptions, memos, and amounts - with splits?

: George
-- -- --
Sent by Droid.

On December 21, 2017 11:56:54 AM PST, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Dec 21, 2017, at 11:42 AM, jeffrey black
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am using GnuCash (Windoze version) to track multiple sets of books.
>
>> My personal, my farm, my wife's business, and for another family
>members
>> personal and business.  Needless to say I am buried up to my ears in
>> receipts and would like to go paperless by storing the images in
>> GnuCash.  My flatbed scanner works but; is not a reasonable option.
>>
>> Right now, my budget would have to be a maximum of about $400 USD.  I
>
>> need to scan everything from 2 inch wide thermal receipts up to to
>full
>> size 8 1/2 X 11  inch receipts.
>>
>> As soon as I can replace several legacy apps I intend to ditch
>Windoze
>> and move everything over to Unix (probably Ubuntu), so compatibility
>> would be an issue.
>>
>> I would like to hear your recommendations.
>

>I've been very pleased with my Fujitsu ScanSnap. They publish a linux
>driver, see
>http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/sp/software/ubuntu.html.
>I use mine with a Mac so I can't vouch for that part.
>
>Regards,
>John Ralls

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

Adrien Monteleone
Aaron,

I think it’s just a file URI link. The scans themselves have to be stored on their own in the file system. They images/pdf et cetera aren’t stored in the db. (the default XML I don’t think could handle that anyway)

There shouldn’t be any memory issues in that respect.

I was using the feature a few years ago, but when I discovered there was no indicator of an attachment and no way to correct or change the URI or even remove an attachment, I stopped using it. I think these features have been added, but I thought they weren’t going to be published till 3.0. If they are available now, I’ll certainly start using it again.

I use a Brother ADS-2500W but that’s in the $600 price range. (awesomely fast for multi-page scanning - about 50pp/minute or so) I think they have a cheaper model out now that might suffice. Their linux and Mac drivers work well and the OCR was acceptable.

> On Dec 21, 2017, at 3:02 PM, Aaron Laws <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>> On Dec 21, 2017, at 11:42 AM, jeffrey black <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am using GnuCash (Windoze version) to track multiple sets of books.
>>> My personal, my farm, my wife's business, and for another family members
>>> personal and business.  Needless to say I am buried up to my ears in
>>> receipts and would like to go paperless by storing the images in
>>> GnuCash.  My flatbed scanner works but; is not a reasonable option.
>>>
>>> Right now, my budget would have to be a maximum of about $400 USD.  I
>>> need to scan everything from 2 inch wide thermal receipts up to to full
>>> size 8 1/2 X 11  inch receipts.
>>>
>>> As soon as I can replace several legacy apps I intend to ditch Windoze
>>> and move everything over to Unix (probably Ubuntu), so compatibility
>>> would be an issue.
>>>
>>> I would like to hear your recommendations.
>

> How does this affect gnucash performance? We've heard several times that
> gnucash loads everything into memory at startup and operates from there. I
> assume that includes the receipt images? How many pages of images does it
> take to get up to, say, 800 MB of receipts?

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

Michael DeBusk-2
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 2:42 PM, jeffrey black
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> receipts and would like to go paperless by storing the images in
> GnuCash.  My flatbed scanner works but; is not a reasonable option.

I've had great success with cell-phone-based scanner applications. My
friend, productivity guru Stever Robbins, introduced me to the idea.
Here's his article/podcast on the topic:
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/productivity/organization/how-scanning-apps-can-organize-your-life

Stever's an Apple guy. I'm on Android and Linux. I've tried:

* https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appxy.tinyscanner

* https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplescan.scanner

* https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.docs

I've heard of people making the Google Drive app work, and I recommend
trying it, but I couldn't get a clear scan with it. Both of the first
two work very well.

On 12/21/2017 3:05 PM, George Riner wrote:

> Is your question regarding a general purpose scanner?
>
> Or is your point about a application/tool that will process a scanned image of a receipt and create a ready-to-import file of accounts, descriptions, memos, and amounts - with splits?
>
> : George
> -- -- --
> Sent by Droid.
>
> On December 21, 2017 11:56:54 AM PST, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Dec 21, 2017, at 11:42 AM, jeffrey black
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am using GnuCash (Windoze version) to track multiple sets of books.
>>> My personal, my farm, my wife's business, and for another family
>> members
>>> personal and business.  Needless to say I am buried up to my ears in
>>> receipts and would like to go paperless by storing the images in
>>> GnuCash.  My flatbed scanner works but; is not a reasonable option.
>>>
>>> Right now, my budget would have to be a maximum of about $400 USD.  I
>>> need to scan everything from 2 inch wide thermal receipts up to to
>> full
>>> size 8 1/2 X 11  inch receipts.
>>>
>>> As soon as I can replace several legacy apps I intend to ditch
>> Windoze
>>> and move everything over to Unix (probably Ubuntu), so compatibility
>>> would be an issue.
>>>
>>> I would like to hear your recommendations.
>>
>> I've been very pleased with my Fujitsu ScanSnap. They publish a linux
>> driver, see
>> http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/sp/software/ubuntu.html.
>> I use mine with a Mac so I can't vouch for that part.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls

> .

The main purpose is to just scan the receipts so I can toss the paper in
the shredder.

IF there is an application/tool that is capable of creating a
ready-to-import file that would be a huge bonus.  A large portion of
these receipts have multiple splits, which I assume would still be done
manually in GnuCash.  The conversion program(s) would also have reside
strictly on my computers, no internet processing or fees.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

George Riner
An interface from a product like Neat Receipts into gnucash would be cool!

But you say you have a scanner, but it's not a reasonable option. Why? If you just want to scan receipts and store the scans on your computer, sounds like you're all set.

As others said, gnucash doesn't store scanned images. Much less store them in any way that let's you associate a scanned image with a transaction.

It sounded like you were drowning in getting all the transactions entered into gnucash that all those receipts represent. I find that the most tedious part.

If you just want to scan bits of paper and throw the paper away, what does gnucash have to do with that?

: George

-- -- --
Sent by Droid.

GWB

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

GWB
I can say that VueScan softer does work with the older Fujitsu
ScanSnap (s500, I think) on Ubuntu 14.  But VueScan is not free, and I
have not tried Fujitsu's linux version for the ScanSnap.  I don't use
OCR when I scan, but instead batch scan, and then later run the files
(usually .tiff) through an OCR program if necessary.  In my
experience, the OCR takes too much time, and I have too many pages
(various sizes, receipts, etc.).  I will take take a blank sheet and
write the date or topic (usually "201701JAN", etc.; YYYYMMAAA) and
scan that sheet at beginning and end of the batch.

That also takes more space, because I'm scanning one sheet to one
file.  If you do scan to .pdf, you can place multiple images of sheets
in one file, which might work best for you.

I have used Neat Receipts, and it's not bad, but too proprietary for
cross platform work; they did not support Linux at the time.  The cell
phone based scanner apps look interesting, and I would love to try
that as well.

Gordon

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 5:53 PM, George Riner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> An interface from a product like Neat Receipts into gnucash would be cool!
>
> But you say you have a scanner, but it's not a reasonable option. Why? If you just want to scan receipts and store the scans on your computer, sounds like you're all set.
>
> As others said, gnucash doesn't store scanned images. Much less store them in any way that let's you associate a scanned image with a transaction.
>
> It sounded like you were drowning in getting all the transactions entered into gnucash that all those receipts represent. I find that the most tedious part.
>
> If you just want to scan bits of paper and throw the paper away, what does gnucash have to do with that?
>
> : George
>

> -- -- --
> Sent by Droid.
>
> On December 21, 2017 3:09:10 PM PST, jeffrey black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>On 12/21/2017 3:05 PM, George Riner wrote:
>>> Is your question regarding a general purpose scanner?
>>>
>>> Or is your point about a application/tool that will process a scanned
>>image of a receipt and create a ready-to-import file of accounts,
>>descriptions, memos, and amounts - with splits?
>>>
>>> : George
>>> -- -- --
>>> Sent by Droid.

>>books.
>>in

>>compatibility

>>linux
>>>>
>>http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/sp/software/ubuntu.html.

>>> .
>>>
>>The main purpose is to just scan the receipts so I can toss the paper
>>in
>>the shredder.
>>
>>IF there is an application/tool that is capable of creating a
>>ready-to-import file that would be a huge bonus.  A large portion of
>>these receipts have multiple splits, which I assume would still be done
>>
>>manually in GnuCash.  The conversion program(s) would also have reside
>>strictly on my computers, no internet processing or fees.
>>
>>--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

G. Paul Ziemba-2
[hidden email] (jeffrey black) writes:

> I am buried up to my ears in receipts and would like to go paperless

> budget would have to be a maximum of about $400 USD. I need to scan
> everything from 2 inch wide thermal receipts up to to full size
> 8 1/2 X 11  inch receipts.

I use a Fujitsu scansnap. It retails for about US $400. Double-sided, ADF.

Receipts are often printed on tissue-thin paper and I have to use care
to feed them into the scanner. The scanner can handle very long receipts
but the operator has to hold the button for a long time (15 sec?) to
tell the scanner not to abort after 20 inches or so.

I wish I had a fully unix/linux workflow, but alas, have not been able to
assemble a reliable auto-crop, auto-rotate, OCR pipeline that functions
as well as the Windows drivers/applications that ship with the scanner.

My current setup has W2K (!) running in a VirtualBox VM with the scanner
USB forwarded from the unix host into the W2k VM. I installed the
Fujitsu-provided driver and OCR to the VM client. The VM is configured
to make a host directory visible to the VM client as a windows "share".

In the VM, scansnap and the bundled OCR software is configured to save
output to the shared folder, i.e., files end up on the unix host. The
bundled OCR software outputs PDF.

The windows driver maintains a continual conversation with the scanner
even when it is not scanning. Excessive latency over USB seems to interrupt
this conversation, resulting in the driver declaring the scanner "gone"
forevermore until VM client reboot. Setting the VM to "realtime" priority
on the host (FreeBSD) seems to have ameliorated the problem.

As for integration with gnucash, I have a clunky homegrown PDF browser tool
that more or less runs pdfgrep on the OCR'ed files to guess at transaction
fields and then presents them to me for editing alongside a rendering of the
image.

I edit the description, category, etc. and indicate "done", and the
tool will generate a QIF transaction record and move the PDF file to a
directory/filename based on the transaction info. After I have done a
bunch of receipts this way, I then import the QIF file into gnucash.

It is somewhat cumbersome, but being able to process the text from OCR
of the receipts enables some automation of the translation into canonical
transactions. Some cleverness is required to match up credit card numbers
on receipts (which might have only the last 4 digits) or to parse the
transaction amount, and so far it needs a lot of manual oversight.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a standard barcode on receipts that
encoded the relevant information? Unfortunately, we are probably too
far along into digital/online transactions for any innovation in printed
receipts.
--
G. Paul Ziemba
FreeBSD unix:

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

I use the flatbed scanner on a Samsung SCX3405FW combined with the XSANE
Image Scanning Program to scan receipts with output as jpg without any major
difficulties on Linux. As others have noted at present there is no way to
link these into Gnucash at the moment. Main reason is to store receipts from
heat printers which fade before thay fade. Ad mittedly never large numbers
though

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

Ronal B Morse-2
I use an app named "Scanner Pro" on my iPhone to capture
documents/receipts while out of the office.  Images automatically upload
to my iCloud storage or I can mail them to myself.  Access to files on
iCloud from the Linux box in the office is done via the iCloud web
portal.  Works fine, but Scanner Pro is slow and tedious to use if you
have a lot of documents to process.

I have an $80 Canon LIDE 220 flatbed scanner attached to the desktop.
It's fast and effective and is truly "plug n' play" with Ubuntu 17.10.
Doesn't have a document feeder, though.  I normally use VueScan
(recommended) as the scanning front end software, but the Canon also
works great with the "Simple Scan"  and "Xsane" packages which are
available at no charge from the Ubuntu repository.

Any images that need to be retained are stored in a "tax items" folder
on iCloud so I don't have to dedicate local storage space to retain
them. I can get to them from any devices that has Internet access.
Reduces the space needed for local backup, too, but really depends upon
a reliable high-speed net connection to work like it should.

RBM

On 12/21/2017 09:48 PM, GWB wrote:

> I can say that VueScan softer does work with the older Fujitsu
> ScanSnap (s500, I think) on Ubuntu 14.  But VueScan is not free, and I
> have not tried Fujitsu's linux version for the ScanSnap.  I don't use
> OCR when I scan, but instead batch scan, and then later run the files
> (usually .tiff) through an OCR program if necessary.  In my
> experience, the OCR takes too much time, and I have too many pages
> (various sizes, receipts, etc.).  I will take take a blank sheet and
> write the date or topic (usually "201701JAN", etc.; YYYYMMAAA) and
> scan that sheet at beginning and end of the batch.
>
> That also takes more space, because I'm scanning one sheet to one
> file.  If you do scan to .pdf, you can place multiple images of sheets
> in one file, which might work best for you.
>
> I have used Neat Receipts, and it's not bad, but too proprietary for
> cross platform work; they did not support Linux at the time.  The cell
> phone based scanner apps look interesting, and I would love to try
> that as well.
>
> Gordon
>
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 5:53 PM, George Riner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> An interface from a product like Neat Receipts into gnucash would be cool!
>>
>> But you say you have a scanner, but it's not a reasonable option. Why? If you just want to scan receipts and store the scans on your computer, sounds like you're all set.
>>
>> As others said, gnucash doesn't store scanned images. Much less store them in any way that let's you associate a scanned image with a transaction.
>>
>> It sounded like you were drowning in getting all the transactions entered into gnucash that all those receipts represent. I find that the most tedious part.
>>
>> If you just want to scan bits of paper and throw the paper away, what does gnucash have to do with that?
>>
>> : George
>>

>> -- -- --
>> Sent by Droid.

>>> image of a receipt and create a ready-to-import file of accounts,
>>> descriptions, memos, and amounts - with splits?

>>> books.
>>> in

>>> compatibility

>>> linux
>>>>>
>>> http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/sp/software/ubuntu.html.

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

Adrien Monteleone

> On Dec 21, 2017, at 11:24 PM, DaveC49 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As others have noted at present there is no way to
> link these into Gnucash at the moment.

I see the Associate File with Transaction option is still in the context menu.

As noted however, the feature is very limited though I believe the code for an attachment indicator at least has already been merged into the next major branch. Without the ability to delete or change an association does make the feature more difficult to use.

Liz

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

Liz
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 19:42:52 +0000
jeffrey black <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using GnuCash (Windoze version) to track multiple sets of
> books. My personal, my farm, my wife's business, and for another
> family members personal and business.  Needless to say I am buried up
> to my ears in receipts and would like to go paperless by storing the
> images in GnuCash.  My flatbed scanner works but; is not a reasonable
> option.
>
> Right now, my budget would have to be a maximum of about $400 USD.  I
> need to scan everything from 2 inch wide thermal receipts up to to
> full size 8 1/2 X 11  inch receipts.
>
> As soon as I can replace several legacy apps I intend to ditch
> Windoze and move everything over to Unix (probably Ubuntu), so
> compatibility would be an issue.
>
> I would like to hear your recommendations.
>
> ---JEffrey Black M.B.A.

I use a flatbed scanner and scan into another directory.
I will scan a pile of skinny receipts at once, arranging them for best
fit on the flatbed, and holding them down with small flat metal
weights, aka keys.
Keeping up to date with scanning is the best way to deal with the pain
of the flatbed scanner.
At work we have the sort of scanner that scans both sides etc, but
varying paper sizes and torn edges create problems - neither way is
optimum.

Liz

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

Christian Kluge
Am 22.12.2017 um 06:56 schrieb Adrien Monteleone:

>> On Dec 21, 2017, at 11:24 PM, DaveC49 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> As others have noted at present there is no way to
>> link these into Gnucash at the moment.
>
> I see the Associate File with Transaction option is still in the context menu.
>
> As noted however, the feature is very limited though I believe the code for an attachment indicator at least has already been merged into the next major branch. Without the ability to delete or change an association does make the feature more difficult to use.

I just want to point out that with current 2.6.x version of gnucash
one’? not able to associate a file to a transaction generated with the
business module (Bug 780112).

Does this mean this is getting fixed for the next release?

However not being able to modify the transaction doesn’t sound good to me.

Regards

Christian Kluge

Re: Receipt scanners, recommendations?

Lincoln A Baxter
Canon Canoscan 8800f works fine with xsane. When I was shopping for a
scanner, I used the SANE list to find a compatible scanner:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

Lincoln