Re: population

12

Re: population

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hello

Whenever I try and get a report for the trial balance it produces itself
without being populated with amounts although all the accounts are there.
Could you let me know what I am doing wrong please.

Thank you

Christine

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: population

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 30, 2017, at 11:39 PM, Christine Maloney via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> Whenever I try and get a report for the trial balance it produces itself
> without being populated with amounts although all the accounts are there.
> Could you let me know what I am doing wrong please.
>
> Thank you

Does the date shown in the title cover the transactions you've created?

Re: population

John Ralls-2

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 2:02 PM, Christine Maloney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi john
> Not at all the date is year 1899. Do you know how I can populate the
> columns?

Christine,

Please remember to copy the list on all replies (reply all works well for most users). Please also bottom-post.

The date range is selected on the general tab of report options. You'll find a convenient button in the report toolbar for opening that dialog.

1899 is a weird value. Have you set an accounting period?

Re: population

John Ralls-2

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 6:07 PM, Christine Maloney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi john
> I am sorry but I am not sure how to reply to all it does not seem to work
> with outlook.
> Yes I have changed the date on my reports but it still goes to 1899. It is
> either a bug or I have a corrupt copy or something else I am guessing.
>

>> On Aug 1, 2017, at 2:02 PM, Christine Maloney <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi john
>> Not at all the date is year 1899. Do you know how I can populate the
>> columns?
>>

>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Whenever I try and get a report for the trial balance it produces
>>> itself without being populated with amounts although all the accounts
>>> are
>> there.
>>> Could you let me know what I am doing wrong please.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>
>> Does the date shown in the title cover the transactions you've created?
>>

> Christine,
>
> Please remember to copy the list on all replies (reply all works well for
> most users). Please also bottom-post.
>
> The date range is selected on the general tab of report options. You'll find
> a convenient button in the report toolbar for opening that dialog.
>
> 1899 is a weird value. Have you set an accounting period?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Reply-to-or-forward-an-email-message-2d7a77e7-b55d-4921-9c8a-d04b4c70c5a7 <https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Reply-to-or-forward-an-email-message-2d7a77e7-b55d-4921-9c8a-d04b4c70c5a7> has instructions for forwarding and replying to messages.If I misunderstand and you know how to reply all but outlook is ignoring you when you use the "reply all" button then you can just type "[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>" into the "CC" header.

What version of GnuCash are you using? I think we might have seen this problem a year or two ago.

Re: population

Dave H
On 2 August 2017 at 04:07, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Aug 1, 2017, at 6:07 PM, Christine Maloney <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi john
> > I am sorry but I am not sure how to reply to all it does not seem to work
> > with outlook.
> > Yes I have changed the date on my reports but it still goes to 1899. It
> is
> > either a bug or I have a corrupt copy or something else I am guessing.

Christine,

What version of Outlook are you using as "Reply all" has worked with
Outlook for years - just make sure you either have the ribbon with the
icons at the top displayed and click the envelope icon that has "Reply All"
underneath it (if the icon ribbon is not displayed click the Home menu
which should display the ribbon and then click on Reply All.

Having said that what version of Windows are you running ?

And as John already asked for what version of GnuCash are you running ?

Cheers Dave H.
AC

Re: population

AC
On 2017-08-01 08:30, John Ralls wrote:

> The date range is selected on the general tab of report options. You'll find a convenient button in the report toolbar for opening that dialog.
>
> 1899 is a weird value. Have you set an accounting period?

Windows uses 1/1/1900 as the first second of its epoch rather than the
Unix epoch of 1/1/1970.  The year 1899 will sometimes show up if you
feed Windows a zero for epoch seconds (depending on the program it might
also display as January 0, 1900 instead of December 31, 1899, Excel does
this)

Re: population

John Ralls-2

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 2:10 AM, AC <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-08-01 08:30, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> The date range is selected on the general tab of report options. You'll find a convenient button in the report toolbar for opening that dialog.
>>
>> 1899 is a weird value. Have you set an accounting period?
>>

> Windows uses 1/1/1900 as the first second of its epoch rather than the
> Unix epoch of 1/1/1970.  The year 1899 will sometimes show up if you
> feed Windows a zero for epoch seconds (depending on the program it might
> also display as January 0, 1900 instead of December 31, 1899, Excel does
> this)

Hmm. That's interesting. We don't use the Windows date library at all, so I don't understand how that could be leaking in to GnuCash, but it's a better explanation than anything else I can think of.

Christine, what is the *exact* date on the report?

RE: population

GnuCash - User mailing list
13/01/1899 is the exact date. I have downloaded a later version, 2017 and it
is still doing the same. The date range is amended correctly but the report
still does not show it.

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 2:10 AM, AC <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-08-01 08:30, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> The date range is selected on the general tab of report options. You'll
find a convenient button in the report toolbar for opening that dialog.

>> 1899 is a weird value. Have you set an accounting period?
>>

> Windows uses 1/1/1900 as the first second of its epoch rather than the
> Unix epoch of 1/1/1970.  The year 1899 will sometimes show up if you
> feed Windows a zero for epoch seconds (depending on the program it
> might also display as January 0, 1900 instead of December 31, 1899,
> Excel does
> this)

Hmm. That's interesting. We don't use the Windows date library at all, so I
don't understand how that could be leaking in to GnuCash, but it's a better
explanation than anything else I can think of.

Christine, what is the *exact* date on the report?

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: population

Dave H
On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 at 8:25 pm, Christine Maloney via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> 13/01/1899 is the exact date. I have downloaded a later version, 2017 and
> it
> is still doing the same. The date range is amended correctly but the report
> still does not show it.

Is the date and time correct on your pc and in other programs/apps
(clock/calendar) running on your pc ?

Cheers Dave H

RE: population

GnuCash - User mailing list
Yes the date and time are correct on the PC, I have windows 7 home premium. And I got the latest I think Gnucash 2017. I wonder if there is a fix for this.

Re: population

David Carlson-4
Christine,

It seems that you are the first to report your problem.  That is why the
developers are asking so many questions about details.  Please check the
about gnucash screen and tell them the exact release number and build date.

David C

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 7:24 AM, Christine Maloney via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes the date and time are correct on the PC, I have windows 7 home
> premium. And I got the latest I think Gnucash 2017. I wonder if there is a
> fix for this.

Re: population

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 2:24 PM, Christine Maloney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes the date and time are correct on the PC, I have windows 7 home premium. And I got the latest I think Gnucash 2017. I wonder if there is a fix for this.

Christine,

Windows being Windows, have you rebooted since installing GnuCash?
The tag at the end of your email suggests another possibility: Have you tried disabling your antivirus program?

If neither of those resolves the problem the next test is to create a new user and try running GnuCash while logged in as the new user. Don't customize the new user id at all.

RE: population

GnuCash - User mailing list
I have now uninstalled Gnucash and reinstalled a more stable version. This
has resolved the issue. However, I am having other issues, such as the
accounts will not take a small payment of £1.00 and a memo keeps showing
when before it done it all behind the scenes as it were.

RE: population

Sorry I have uninstalled the version before receiving this message.

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 7:24 AM, Christine Maloney via gnucash-user <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> > wrote:

Yes the date and time are correct on the PC, I have windows 7 home premium. And I got the latest I think Gnucash 2017. I wonder if there is a fix for this.

Re: population

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 2:59 PM, Christine Maloney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have now uninstalled Gnucash and reinstalled a more stable version. This has resolved the issue. However, I am having other issues, such as the accounts will not take a small payment of £1.00 and a memo keeps showing when before it done it all behind the scenes as it were.

Christine,

Sorry, I don't understand. Can you explain in detail (at the level of "I select x from the menu, enter £1.00 in field y, ...) exactly what you're doing and what happens at each step?

RE: population

GnuCash - User mailing list
When I add the small amount of £1.00 the system takes it in the memo entries, but when I press enter it disappears from the system.

Re: population

Maf. King
On Thursday, 3 August 2017 17:01:22 BST Christine Maloney via gnucash-user
wrote:
> When I add the small amount of £1.00 the system takes it in the memo
> entries, but when I press enter it disappears from the system.

Hi,

Only press Enter if you are ready to commit a transaction to the register.
Tab to move between all the various fields for data.

If you are putting a 1.00 in the memo, then what are you putting in the
transfer account and Credit/Debit/Deposit/Withdrawal etc columns?

Which version of GC have you installed, so as to be more stable than what you
had previously?

Maf.

RE: population

GnuCash - User mailing list
I am not able to add anything to the credit/debit columns I can only add entries to the memo lines which I do not even want there. The version is 2.6.17

wrote:
> When I add the small amount of £1.00 the system takes it in the memo
> entries, but when I press enter it disappears from the system.

Hi,

Only press Enter if you are ready to commit a transaction to the register.
Tab to move between all the various fields for data.

If you are putting a 1.00 in the memo, then what are you putting in the transfer account and Credit/Debit/Deposit/Withdrawal etc columns?

Which version of GC have you installed, so as to be more stable than what you had previously?

Maf.

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: population

Maf. King
Hi Christine,

OK, so if you can see the "memo" boxes, then you are looking at a splits-view
of the transaction.  That's fine, I shall do the same and tell you exactly what
I press to enter a new transaction in my bank account register.

I use auto-split double line as my default view settings, and for this I've
got Formal Account labels set, which I think you have too.

From the Chart of Accounts view, I double-click to open my bank account
register, and the view switches to show it.

The Date field of a new transaction is already selected.  I press minus twice
to enter a transaction from 2 days ago.

TAB -> num field.  Leave blank.
TAB -> Description field.  Type TestTransaction
TAB -> New Row, Notes field. Type TestNote (won't be visible in single line
view)
TAB -> New Row, Action field (was num, but the heading has changed) LEave Blank
TAB -> 1st Memo.  Type test1
TAB -> Account.  Already shows bank account. leave it as is.
TAB -> Debit. Leave blank
TAB -> Credit. Type 1.00
TAB -> New Row, Action. leave blank
TAB -> Memo.  Type test2
TAB -> Account. Type Expenses
TAB -> Debit already filled with 1.00. Leave it.
TAB -> Credit. leave blank
TAB -> new row, action, leave blank
ENTER ->  Transaction remains in bank account register in the correct place in
date order.

what happens if you follow the exact sequence above?  If it differs, please
explain clearly in terms like above, press such-and-such, click here etc.

If you don't want to see the memo lines, then you'll have to go to the View
Menu, and select "Basic Ledger", but if you ever need to enter a transaction
with more than 2 splits, you'll see them anyway (all transactions in GC have
at least 2 splits (to 2 accounts)).

HTH,
Maf.

--
Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542

RE: population

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi Maf
I followed your instructions and I am happy I have completely removed the memo and it works well now.

OK, so if you can see the "memo" boxes, then you are looking at a splits-view of the transaction.  That's fine, I shall do the same and tell you exactly what I press to enter a new transaction in my bank account register.

I use auto-split double line as my default view settings, and for this I've got Formal Account labels set, which I think you have too.

From the Chart of Accounts view, I double-click to open my bank account register, and the view switches to show it.