Re: ofxhome.com down

Derek Atkins-3
+gnucash-devel

Hi,

tl;dr: ofxhome.com is down.  I emailed the owner.  He found out about it
today.  We should decide what to do.

Long version:

I just heard back from him.  Here's his response:

I just found out about this today. As you can guess I haven't been doing
much with
ofxhome.com recently other than keeping it on life support.

My host was medialayer and it turns out that its owner has passed away and
the
service has shut down. I should have some old backups available.
Unfortunately I may
not be able to access anything recent. I'll continue looking into this.

Does the community have a plan in place? I'm happy to turn over
ofxhome.com to the
open source community. Or you can go in a different direction if you think
ofxhome.com should be replaced (you won't hurt my feelings, it's old!).

So... what WOULD be the plan?  I don't think we even considered a plan..
We could take it over, but we probably want it "hosted" as opposed to
"self-hosted"..  I don't know what the platform is/was that he was using.

Comments?  Suggestions?

-derek

On Tue, May 2, 2017 12:41 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:

> yes, we noticed this last night.
> I've emailed the domain owner to inquire.
> -derek
>
> Paul Faulstich <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> It appears ofxhome.com has been down since about April 24. Not sure
>> when,
>> or if, it will come back online. This breaks GnuCash's ability to look
>> up
>> bank information.  :(
>>
>> psf

>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: ofxhome.com down

Derek Atkins-3
I feel like I'm being a go-between right now.  Perhaps I should merge
these two conversation threads?

I asked him a bunch of these questions already:

> Right now we (GnuCash) didn't have a plan but we are discussing our
> options.  I cannot answer for other users of OFXHome at all.
>
> Could you answer a few questions about the site:
> - How much bandwidth did it have/use?

Basically nothing. I never bothered measuring it. My serving account was
basic
$10/month shared hosting.

> - What was the content?  Was it static or quazi-static?  Was it just MySQL
> + PHP or some other CMS?

That's basically it. MySQL + php + a message board. Nothing was static or
cached.
But the resources used so little that I didn't have a need to.

> - What else could you tell me about the requirements if we did decide to
t> ake it over from you?  Or what resources would YOU need to resurrect it?

The requirements are pretty minimal. It was basically a web service, some
cron jobs,
and some forms. There was no magic involved other than some hacky code for
pinging
OFX servers and looking at their SSL certificates. Getting it back up and
running
should be straightforward. The hardest part may be installing the right
packages to
work with the certificates.

The bad news is that it looks like any recent backups are not available.
I'll check
what I have at home when I get home today. It's probably at least a year old.

-derek

On Tue, May 2, 2017 3:07 pm, GWB wrote:

> [...]
> Updated Date: 01-mar-2017
> Creation Date: 27-feb-2008
> Expiration Date: 27-feb-2018

> The rest of the info is in the database, contact, etc.  So,
> conceivably, if the domain pointed to an (extra?) IP that's already
> one of the servers for gnucash.org, that might work.  Then the
> question becomes how does the site work; is it similar to a git
> repository, or mercurial,  or the gnucash download site at
> sourceforge?  I don't know to run any of those, and I don't use ofx
> lookups for the bank (I download the ofx files from the institution).
> But I do know something about the domain leasing and the dns system
> (not too much, but probably enough).  I use Moniker for domain
> leasing, and they've been very good at transferring and figuring out
> domains.  I also use redundant domain resolvers (GoDaddy is quite good
> for that in North America).
>
> Let me know and I'll do some digging.
>
> Gordon
>
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +gnucash-devel
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> tl;dr: ofxhome.com is down.  I emailed the owner.  He found out about it
>> today.  We should decide what to do.
>>
>> Long version:
>>
>> I just heard back from him.  Here's his response:
>>
>> I just found out about this today. As you can guess I haven't been doing
>> much with
>> ofxhome.com recently other than keeping it on life support.
>>

>> My host was medialayer and it turns out that its owner has passed away
>> and
>> the
>> service has shut down. I should have some old backups available.
>> Unfortunately I may
>> not be able to access anything recent. I'll continue looking into this.
>>

>> Does the community have a plan in place? I'm happy to turn over
>> ofxhome.com to the
>> open source community. Or you can go in a different direction if you
>> think
>> ofxhome.com should be replaced (you won't hurt my feelings, it's old!).
>>

>> So... what WOULD be the plan?  I don't think we even considered a plan..
>> We could take it over, but we probably want it "hosted" as opposed to
>> "self-hosted"..  I don't know what the platform is/was that he was
>> using.
>>
>> Comments?  Suggestions?
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> On Tue, May 2, 2017 12:41 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> yes, we noticed this last night.
>>> I've emailed the domain owner to inquire.
>>> -derek

>>> --
>>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available
>>>

>> --
>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: ofxhome.com down

Thomas Baumgart-2

On Tuesday 02 May 2017 13:33:07 Derek Atkins wrote:

> +gnucash-devel
>
> Hi,
>
> tl;dr: ofxhome.com is down.  I emailed the owner.  He found out about it
> today.  We should decide what to do.
>
> Long version:
>
> I just heard back from him.  Here's his response:
>
> I just found out about this today. As you can guess I haven't been doing
> much with
> ofxhome.com recently other than keeping it on life support.
>

> My host was medialayer and it turns out that its owner has passed away and
> the
> service has shut down. I should have some old backups available.
> Unfortunately I may
> not be able to access anything recent. I'll continue looking into this.
>

> Does the community have a plan in place? I'm happy to turn over
> ofxhome.com to the
> open source community. Or you can go in a different direction if you think
> ofxhome.com should be replaced (you won't hurt my feelings, it's old!).
>

> So... what WOULD be the plan?  I don't think we even considered a plan..
> We could take it over, but we probably want it "hosted" as opposed to
> "self-hosted"..  I don't know what the platform is/was that he was using.
>
> Comments?  Suggestions?
This hits the KMyMoney community with equal consequences. I would appreciate,
if we can find a solution and join forces here.

--

Regards

Thomas Baumgart

https://www.telegram.org/ Telegram, the better whats app
Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other
invention in human history, with the possible exception
of handguns and tequila. --Mitch Radcliffe

> On Tue, May 2, 2017 12:41 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > yes, we noticed this last night.
> > I've emailed the domain owner to inquire.
> > -derek
> >
> > Paul Faulstich <[hidden email]> writes:
> >> It appears ofxhome.com has been down since about April 24. Not sure
> >> when,
> >> or if, it will come back online. This breaks GnuCash's ability to look
> >> up
> >> bank information.  :(
> >>
> >> psf
> >
> > --
> >
> >        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
> >        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
> >        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: ofxhome.com down

gnucash-10
Hi all,

I run a webhosting company and while I don't use the ofxhome site, I could
host it for free (assuming the low cpu load comment below is correct).

On Tue, 2 May 2017, Derek Atkins wrote:

> [...]
>>> Unfortunately I may
>>> not be able to access anything recent. I'll continue looking into this.
>>>

>>> Does the community have a plan in place? I'm happy to turn over
>>> ofxhome.com to the
>>> open source community. Or you can go in a different direction if you
>>> think
>>> ofxhome.com should be replaced (you won't hurt my feelings, it's old!).
>>>

>>> So... what WOULD be the plan?  I don't think we even considered a plan..
>>> We could take it over, but we probably want it "hosted" as opposed to
>>> "self-hosted"..  I don't know what the platform is/was that he was
>>> using.
>>>
>>> Comments?  Suggestions?
>>>
>>> -derek

>>> --
>>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Jon Daley
http://jon.limedaley.com
~~
There is no "I" in Team, but it does contain a silent "scapegoat"

Re: ofxhome.com down

Carwyn Nelson

I’m joining this conversation a little late so I haven’t got all of the details.

Would it be possible to open source ofxhome.com <http://ofxhome.com/>? I don’t know much of anything at all about the software (I’m a very light user of gnu cash) but I would really like to contribute to the community and I’m sure that I can make some helpful pull requests to ofxhome.

If ofxhome were to become open source then I would also happily contribute to the hosting costs and maintenance.

Carwyn.

> On 2 May 2017, at 23:00, Paul Makepeace <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yep, new-ish Debian and a bulkregister account. Practically it is
> easier for me to at least have some control of the DNS/registrar
> situation in case I need to move it.
>
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 2:52 PM, GWB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Derek, Paul, If the current owner of the site is willing to maintain
>> it on one of Paul's instances or containers, that sounds like the best
>> solution.  If you need me to transfer any domain leases and set up a
>> DNS resolver with GoDaddy, I can do that.  I can also pay for three
>> years for the domain lease with Moniker, unless Paul has a better
>> option.
>>
>> Don't know much about PHP, however (sounds like a song, don't it?).  I
>> could navigate Plone, Zope or zotonic on a BSD box, or possibly
>> Solaris, but that doesn't help in this case.  Paul, you have hosting
>> on Debian boxes, correct?
>>
>> Gordon
>>
>> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Paul Makepeace <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Happy to host either of the domains or site - I have a boutique
>>> hosting company with spare capacity and happy to help out the
>>> community with some stable hosting. Feel free to email.

Re: ofxhome.com down

Derek Atkins-3

There has been some offline discussion which I wanted to bring back to
the list(s).   The current owner of ofxhome.com is working with Paul
Makepeace to revive the system.  Paul has offered hosting services,
which we should all appreciate.  Thank you, Paul.

The question has come up:  Does anyone have a current copy of the data?
Apparently the last backup was about a year ago?  If anyone does have a
more recent dump please get in touch with Jesse Liesch, CC'd above.

Again, thank you to Paul and Jesse!

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745