Re: installation

Josh Sled
(This really belongs on gnucash-user, so I've CC'ed it there instead.)

"Anna Ash" <[hidden email]> writes:
> I can't figure out how to install this program.  I downloaded it and found
> it was some achieved/zipped files and got them unzipped but can't seem to
> locate an install file.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming you're referring to GnuCash-2.2.0.

If you're on Windows, you'll want to download and run the executable at
<http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gnucash/gnucash-2.2.0-setup.exe>.

If you're on unix, you'll want to wait until your distribution/vendor offers
a pre-built package of Gnucash 2.2, and install it using your distribution's
package manager.

I'm not sure what you downloaded, since you didn't identify it at all, but if
it's the sources, then it should have an INSTALL at the top.   If you have
the sources, it's possible to compile the software yourself (on either unix
or Windows) ... more information on that can be found at
<http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building>.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}

Re: installation

Andrew Greig
On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 13:56 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:

> (This really belongs on gnucash-user, so I've CC'ed it there instead.)
>
> "Anna Ash" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I can't figure out how to install this program.  I downloaded it and found
> > it was some achieved/zipped files and got them unzipped but can't seem to
> > locate an install file.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm assuming you're referring to GnuCash-2.2.0.
>
> If you're on Windows, you'll want to download and run the executable at
> <http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gnucash/gnucash-2.2.0-setup.exe>.
>
> If you're on unix, you'll want to wait until your distribution/vendor offers
> a pre-built package of Gnucash 2.2, and install it using your distribution's
> package manager.
>
> I'm not sure what you downloaded, since you didn't identify it at all, but if
> it's the sources, then it should have an INSTALL at the top.   If you have
> the sources, it's possible to compile the software yourself (on either unix
> or Windows) ... more information on that can be found at
> <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building>.

Hi Josh,
I also tried to get gnucash to run under XP SP2 and no result. This is
not a mission critical thing for me as I run gc under Mandriva 2007.1.
But it is of interest because I distribute OpenOffice.org to those who
are bandwidth challenged, and I include a lot of extra Open-Source
software for their benefit, because there is room on the disks.

I had thought of including gc as well, but I will wait until I can load
it "as a Windows user expects".  I think that a good idea for those who
want to have Linux and Windows is to run gc in Linux, and run a VM
sandbox for Windows for their other activities.
--
Yours faithfully

Andrew Greig
Community Distributor, OpenOffice.org