Re: Printing report

Pedro Albuquerque
This is probably off topic and I haven't had the time to even try, but I
intend to do so when on vacations.

Gnucash uses XML for data keeping. Maybe we can use Jasper Reports to
enhance GnuCash capabilities.

Regards,
Pedro

Em Tue, 11 Apr 2017 22:55:04 -0000, R. Victor Klassen
<[hidden email]> escreveu:

> [...]
> optional whether browsers/html renderers pay attention to it.
>
> It’s been awhile since I cared, but I do recall that if I saved the
> report and then opened it in the right browser (might have been Firefox
> at the time), that problem goes away.
>
> In general, it is difficult to get html to produce a report that would
> make a type lover/design nerd happy.
>
> The good thing about using html is the high degree of portability it
> affords.
>
> R. Victor Klassen
> [hidden email]
> 226-792-0733
>
>> On Apr 11, 2017, at 3:03 PM, ph hermes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> i'll just jump in here and say i wish there were some more choices in
>> print
>> reports. my reports often print with page breaks right through a line of
>> informatio. it often just cuts the line in half. i have to export ascsv,
>> then change all the columns in excel... a very very long process when i
>> just want to print a report...
>>
>> i'd love to be able to have page breaks before or after lines of type.
>> i'd
>> also like to change fonts/ sizes as so many of the reports are big and
>> ungainly. i know i'm picky as i design books and love type, but still
>> lines
>> should be all on 1 page or another.
>>
>> just my 2 cents. many thanks for all you do...
>>

>> ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:
>> writer ~:~ photographer ~:~ book designer
>> resident manager
>> paulahendricks.com
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 5:17 AM, David Carlson
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I recall that there were a few GnuCash releases that defaulted to A4
>>> page
>>> size but more recently GnuCash has defaulted to US Letter. When it
>>> defaulted to A4 my HP and Xerox printers would complain about not being
>>> loaded with A4 paper and refuse to print. Since the two sizes ofpaper
>>> are
>>> so close, I wondered why the printers couldn't be set to 'Shrink tofit"
>>> and print on the opposite size paper. Those days are over for me, but
>>> now
>>> this user has a problem which I also see on letter size paper wherelong
>>> strings in the description field make the rest of the report spread out
>>> over too much space. He is not alone. I have sometimes resorted to
>>> saving
>>> reports in PDF format and importing them into Open Office or Libre
>>> Office
>>> Calc where there is more flexibility with column formats in order to
>>> get a
>>> better page appearance. If GnuCash had better format defaults thatextra
>>> step would not be necessary.
>>>
>>> If it is as simple as using File > Page Setup in GnuCash to switch toA4
>>> paper, then this user has his solution.
>>>
>>> David C
>>>
>>> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 5:51 AM, Geert Janssens <

A utilizar o cliente de e-mail da Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/

---
Este e-mail foi verificado em termos de vírus pelo AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Re: Printing report

Geert Janssens-4
On woensdag 12 april 2017 09:55:20 CEST Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> This is probably off topic and I haven't had the time to even try, but I
> intend to do so when on vacations.

I'm certainly interested in the result of such an experiment.

> Gnucash uses XML for data keeping. Maybe we can use Jasper Reports to
> enhance GnuCash capabilities.

Perhaps. I agree html is not necessarily the best option and I'm interested in
alternatives.

A few remarks and questions that pop up immediately:

1. In the longer term we expect gnucash to exclusively use sql for data
storage, reducing the role of xml to an import/export format. I don't know if
Jasper Reports also works with sql.

2. How easy or hard would it be for ordinary users to create totally new
reports ? In our current implementation basic knowledge of the scheme
programming language is required. This is a high barrier for most users and I
would want any alternative to make this easier.

3. How deep can it integrat in gnucash ? For example current reports can have
links that allow users to jump to a register, an invoice, another report,...

4. How well does it do graphs (dynamic sizing, interaction like displaying
details when hovering a part,...)

5. What's needed for printing/exporting ?

Re: Printing report

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
On 12/04/2017 08:21, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On woensdag 12 april 2017 09:55:20 CEST Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
>> This is probably off topic and I haven't had the time to even try, but I
>> intend to do so when on vacations.
>>
> I'm certainly interested in the result of such an experiment.
>
>> Gnucash uses XML for data keeping. Maybe we can use Jasper Reports to
>> enhance GnuCash capabilities.
>
> Perhaps. I agree html is not necessarily the best option and I'm interested in
> alternatives.
>
> A few remarks and questions that pop up immediately:
>
> 1. In the longer term we expect gnucash to exclusively use sql for data
> storage, reducing the role of xml to an import/export format. I don't know if
> Jasper Reports also works with sql.
>
> 2. How easy or hard would it be for ordinary users to create totally new
> reports ? In our current implementation basic knowledge of the scheme
> programming language is required. This is a high barrier for most users and I
> would want any alternative to make this easier.
>
> 3. How deep can it integrat in gnucash ? For example current reports can have
> links that allow users to jump to a register, an invoice, another report,...
>
> 4. How well does it do graphs (dynamic sizing, interaction like displaying
> details when hovering a part,...)
>
> 5. What's needed for printing/exporting ?

If you search the list archives Gregory Gincley has / had some Jasper
reports that worked with GnuCash.  I tried them out and they worked but
weren't the sort of thing I kept up with.  I'd be very surprised if most
users would want the overhead.

--
Wm