Re: New transaction report

Geert Janssens-4
Doug,

Thanks for offering the report for inclusion in gnucash. I am currently
checking what is needed to get this done.

On woensdag 5 april 2017 03:22:09 CEST Cindy Doughty wrote:
> Afraid I don't know how to push the attached since the
> gnctimeperiod-utilities needs to export several routines.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are writing here exactly. What needs to
be exported in a way that isn't as is ? Isn't your report working in the state
this is ?

Also what is the preferred end result ? Is your report intended to complement
the existing transaction report or to supersede it ? That is, does your
implementation do everything the original report did and some more, or does it
only do other things from the original report ?

This matters to decide whether the old file should be replaced or not.

I haven't had a chance to try your improved report just yet. I have started
reading the code and have a few remarks on that:

1. It introduces loads of new strings. This is fine in itself, however many of
them are not marked for translation. That should certainly be fixed at some
point.

2. There are lots of small whitespace issues. While this is not really a
problem with your code itself it clutters our version management. I would
really like to see all trailing whitespace removed (unless part of a literal
string that's split over multiple lines). Also empty lines should not have any
other whitespace. And preferably stick to spaces for indentation. I know some
text editors are not really consistent in this and several other scm files in
our repo don't adhere to this. I prefer to keep these inconsistencies to a
minimum and avoiding them upfront is a very effective method :)

> I hereby release the following two reports under the terms of the GNU
> General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
> version 2 of  the License, or (at your option) any later version.  The
> files are distributed in the hope that they will be useful,  but WITHOUT
> ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of   MERCHANTABILITY or
> FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for
> more details.

Great!

>   The transaction.scm file was started from the transaction.scm file
> released with gnucash 2.6.15.  All modifications to the file were done by
> me and are my own work.  The gnctimeperiod-utilities.scm was developed by
> me from scratch.

Thanks again for this work!

Re: New transaction report

Geert Janssens-4
On woensdag 5 april 2017 03:36:54 CEST Christopher Lam wrote:
> Dear Devs. I've been chronicling Doug's amazing efforts in my GitHub repo
> at https://github.com/christopherlam/gnucash-multicolumn - all code changes
> are his efforts and I've mainly helped with bug fixing and suggesting
> features.
>
> I think it is useful enough for inclusion as a beta release, perhaps as an
> experimental menu option.

Thanks for maintaining the history. I intend to import this into our gnucash
repo (will have to fiddle a bit to get that going) once my questions/requests
get cleared up.

Re: New transaction report

dadinva
Geert Janssens-4 wrote
I'm afraid I don't understand what you are writing here exactly. What needs to
be exported in a way that isn't as is ? Isn't your report working in the state
this is ?

Also what is the preferred end result ? Is your report intended to complement
the existing transaction report or to supersede it ? That is, does your
implementation do everything the original report did and some more, or does it
only do other things from the original report ?
I am exporting functions from the gnctimeperiod-utilities.scm file which are used in the transaction.scm report and will be used in a couple of other reports I have planned.  They work for now since I have the file in config.user.

This report is intended to replace the original transaction report.  I changed 2 or 3 defaults versus the original but if they are changed back the results are exactly the same as the original.  None of the original features have been removed.  The original version displays transactions between a range of dates which can be sorted on multiple items such as description or account name.  This version does that but also lets you consolidate entries so that only one entry is shown which is the sum of multiple entries.  It also allows you to use a find or search command to limit the items displayed.  It expands the menu selection for the date range to allow the user to select a predefined date range in addition to using the custom date ranges previously available.  The most recent addition was to display the output in a multiple column format.

Geert Janssens-4 wrote
1. It introduces loads of new strings. This is fine in itself, however many of
them are not marked for translation. That should certainly be fixed at some
point.

2. There are lots of small whitespace issues. While this is not really a
problem with your code itself it clutters our version management. I would
really like to see all trailing whitespace removed (unless part of a literal
string that's split over multiple lines). Also empty lines should not have any
other whitespace. And preferably stick to spaces for indentation. I know some
text editors are not really consistent in this and several other scm files in
our repo don't adhere to this. I prefer to keep these inconsistencies to a
minimum and avoiding them upfront is a very effective method :)
Afraid I don't know how to mark strings for translation.  I agree a load of them have been introduced.  They basically fall into four categories:
1 Strings for selecting a date - the majority of the new strings
2. strings for the find command
3. strings for consolidating items
4. strings for multiple-column display

I have attached two new versions of the files which have the tabs changed to spaces and the trailing spaces removed.  The transaction.scm file also has added an additional find command for searching in the reconcilition field.

transaction.scmgnctimeperiod-utilities.scm