Re: Investments (Mutual Funds)

Alex Aycinena-2
On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Beryn Neeley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have established Mutual Fund accounts under the investments account.
> Initially, I entered the dollar value of the fund balances as the number of
> shares and I entered the price as $1.00 to display the correct total value
> of the investment portfolio.  A few days later, I obtained the detail
> information on the number of units (shares) of each fund and their
> respective prices.  When I keyed in the number of units and the applicable
> prices, I saw that the number of units was displayed on that accounts tab
> where I expected to see the $-value of the portfolio.  To maintain the
> correct balances, I re-entered the transactions as I did originally (with a
> price of $1.00).
>
> Kindly assist me in understanding how to setup these investments.
>
> With regard to loans, I went through a process to setup the loan payments
> but I am not confident in how this is supposed to work.  I expected to
> setup a loan and expected that the loan payments would flow from it.  I
> actually set up the loan balances as accounts.  Please provide guidance on
> setting up loans and their payments.
>
> Regards,
> Beryn

Found this in my junk folder - a good illustration of why you should not
send questions to individuals and just hope for the best..

I've forwarded this to the user list, [hidden email], where it
should have been sent in the first place. Sign up at gnucash.org and send
all questions there. The list is active and responsive(, unlike myself).

Re: Investments (Mutual Funds)

ChrisGood
Message: 1

> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 13:08:05 -0700
> From: Alex Aycinena <[hidden email]>
> To: Beryn Neeley <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]"
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Investments (Mutual Funds)
>
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Beryn Neeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have established Mutual Fund accounts under the investments account.
> > Initially, I entered the dollar value of the fund balances as the
> > number of shares and I entered the price as $1.00 to display the
> > correct total value of the investment portfolio.  A few days later, I
> > obtained the detail information on the number of units (shares) of
> > each fund and their respective prices.  When I keyed in the number of
> > units and the applicable prices, I saw that the number of units was
> > displayed on that accounts tab where I expected to see the $-value of
> > the portfolio.  To maintain the correct balances, I re-entered the
> > transactions as I did originally (with a price of $1.00).
> >
> > Kindly assist me in understanding how to setup these investments.
> >
> > With regard to loans, I went through a process to setup the loan
> > payments but I am not confident in how this is supposed to work.  I
> > expected to setup a loan and expected that the loan payments would
> > flow from it.  I actually set up the loan balances as accounts.
> > Please provide guidance on setting up loans and their payments.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Beryn
Hi Beryn,

Re your investments, you may need to go into Tools, Price Editor to correct
the wrong price originally entered.
Note: like the Accounts tab, you can use the down arrow button at the top
right of the Price Database window
to customise the columns that display.
In my Accounts tab, I display Account Name, Type, Description, Total, Total
(currency), Total (Period).
In my Price Database window, I display all the columns available.

I'll leave it to some-one else to advise about loans.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Chris Good

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Investments (Mutual Funds)

Wm...
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 08:31:49 +1000, in gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user,
Chris Good <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 13:08:05 -0700
>> From: Alex Aycinena <[hidden email]>
>> To: Beryn Neeley <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]"
>> <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: Investments (Mutual Funds)
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Beryn Neeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have established Mutual Fund accounts under the investments account.
>>> Initially, I entered the dollar value of the fund balances as the
>>> number of shares and I entered the price as $1.00 to display the
>>> correct total value of the investment portfolio.  A few days later, I
>>> obtained the detail information on the number of units (shares) of
>>> each fund and their respective prices.  When I keyed in the number of
>>> units and the applicable prices, I saw that the number of units was
>>> displayed on that accounts tab where I expected to see the $-value of
>>> the portfolio.  To maintain the correct balances, I re-entered the
>>> transactions as I did originally (with a price of $1.00).
>>>
>>> Kindly assist me in understanding how to setup these investments.

> Hi Beryn,
>
> Re your investments, you may need to go into Tools, Price Editor to correct
> the wrong price originally entered.

Depending on OS and version that may not give the desired results.  There
was a bug in this area in the previous to current version on Win.

Beryn: we need more info: OS and GnuCash version as well as you writing to
the write address.

>>> With regard to loans, I went through a process to setup the loan
>>> payments but I am not confident in how this is supposed to work.  I
>>> expected to setup a loan and expected that the loan payments would
>>> flow from it.  I actually set up the loan balances as accounts.
>>> Please provide guidance on setting up loans and their payments.

We expect people to read the sections of the two main documents under Help
relevant to their question before inappropriately approaching an
individual.

The variance in loans, periods, types and so on are too numerous for the
gnc druid to cover more than a fraction of the most obvious ones.  Are you
saying you weren't able to get it to work at all, i.e. you couldn't make it
produce roughly the right number of payments for roughly the right amount
of money?  If so I suggest you give a bit more detail after you use the
Help.

--
Wm