Re: How to Modify gnuCash Reports

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to Modify gnuCash Reports

ChrisGood


> On 27 Sep 2015, at 11:42 pm, Michele Hemmings <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Chris
>
> First, I want to congratulate you and your team for producing gnuCash software.
> From my 10+ hours playing around with it, I find it quite good with excellent Help guide and a lot of reports for small business.  There are two things that I would like to ask for help with:
>
> 1. Reports - moving accounts around rather than just in Alpha order,

You can specify an account code for each account name and I think most reports allow you to
sort on that.

>                  - changing subheadings eg Revenue and Expenses (when it is called Statement of Income & Expenditures)

I don't think you can do that without modifying the report but that probably isn't too hard - find the .scm file (I think) and give it a go.

>                  - allowing for two types of income for the business eg ' primary' profits and 'extraordinary' profits.  That is standard financial reporting in most countries.

You can have as many different income accounts as you need - create them as sub accounts under 'Income'. I'm not an accountant and cannot remember if profit is an Income account...
I think you may need to provide more info in order for other people to help.
 
> 2. Importing customers from .xls or .csv files and not just Quicken books files.
I think you can do this but I don't know how.

> and another which is more of a comment for improvement:
> 3. The pull down menu 'Business' is an unusual term for what it contains, while ' Actions' implies to the first time user of entering Sales, Purchasing goods (not to be confused with 'stocks or shares'), but your Actions button is none of those things.
> Why not call "Actions" >> "SET UP"?
> Your 'Actions' is primarily about shares/Stocks yet it is where the user adds New Accounts or sets Budgets.
> I think the latter two activities are 'SET UP' things. Just as is Adding Customers, Adding Suppliers/Creditors.
> PS> the term 'Vendors' must be USA-specific as other countries usually reserved that word for sellers of real estate, not goods to be resold as in a shop.  We call a Supplier of goods, just that: Supplier or if we buy on credit, a Creditor.

Interesting thoughts...
That's how it is currently. Once you've done it a few times it won't be a problem, but patches always welcome. If you cannot program, and this is important to you, then raise it as an enhancement request GnuCash bug. See the FAQ http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ

> 4. what does 'gnu' stand for?

> From memory: Gnu's not Unix. Try google - too much history for me to go into.



>
> If I cannot make the reports suit an entity with two different sources of revenue as above, then I won't be able to use your system, unfortunately.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> Michele Hemmings CPA
> Australia

Hi Michele,

Welcome to GnuCash.
I've answered as I can above.

I'm forwarding your email to the GnuCash user email group as questions like this should go to them as
1. There are many more knowledgeable people than me who may be able to help you
2. Other people will learn from answers to your questions
3. You will probably get more timely answers from the group than me.

If you're not already a member of the email group, you can subscribe at http://www.gnucash.org by clicking on the Mailing Lists link.

Regards,

Chris Good
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to Modify gnuCash Reports

Michele Hemmings t/a Exclusively Strata

Many thanks Chris for the quick response.
The big issue I have is the format of the Income Statement (Profit and
Loss).
- Set headings of Revenue and Expense (black bold font) can't be
changed- All items of ' Income' are reported under Revenue yet the
business may have 'normal operations' and 'extraordinary operations' -
it is required by accounting Standards that the latter are separately
reported from the former so that (say) Rental from hiring out the
laundry basement owned by a Shoe Retailer is not mixed up with the
normal operations.  alternatively, the entity has two Profit Centres
that it wants to report for and can't with all Income items grouped
together and all Expenses grouped together.  
I want to be able to change the layout and would like permission (and
then help) to alter the .scm file as I am not a programmer, but an
Accountant who knows how and where the figures should be reported!
Many thanks to any tech people who can help.Michele
MICHELE HEMMINGS CPAAUSTRALIAE:    [hidden email]:
   HTTP://WWW.EXCLUSIVELYSTRATANSW.COM.AU [1]
_This email and any attached files are confidential and may contain
legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, disclosure, forwarding, or copying of this email
is UNAUTHORISED. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender immediately by reply email and delete the
transmission and any attachments. Thank you.__P Think green before
you print this page._

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Good"
To:"Michele Hemmings" , "GnuCash User Mailing List"
Cc:"[hidden email]"
Sent:Mon, 28 Sep 2015 18:53:10 +1000
Subject:Re: How to Modify gnuCash Reports

On 27 Sep 2015, at 11:42 pm, Michele Hemmings  wrote:

  Hello Chris

First, I want to congratulate you and your team for producing gnuCash
software.
From my 10+ hours playing around with it, I find it quite good with
excellent Help guide and a lot of reports for small business.  There
are two things that I would like to ask for help with:

1. Reports - moving accounts around rather than just in Alpha order,

 You can specify an account code for each account name and I think
most reports allow you to sort on that
                   - changing subheadings eg Revenue
and Expenses (when it is called Statement of Income & Expenditures)

 I don't think you can do that without modifying the report but that
probably isn't too hard - find the .scm file (I think) and give it a
go.
                   - allowing for two types of income
for the business eg ' primary' profits and 'extraordinary' profits.
 That is standard financial reporting in most countries.

You can have as many different income accounts as you need - create
them as sub accounts under 'Income'. I'm not an accountant and cannot
remember if profit is an Income account... I think you may need to
provide more info in order for other people to help.

   2. Importing customers from .xls or .csv files and not just
Quicken books files.

I think you can do this but I don't know how.  
 and another which is more of a comment for improvement:
3. The pull down menu 'Business' is an unusual term for what it
contains, while ' Actions' implies to the first time user of entering
Sales, Purchasing goods (not to be confused with 'stocks or shares'),
but your Actions button is none of those things.
Why not call "Actions" >> "SET UP"?
Your 'Actions' is primarily about shares/Stocks yet it is where the
user adds New Accounts or sets Budgets.
I think the latter two activities are 'SET UP' things. Just as is
Adding Customers, Adding Suppliers/Creditors.
PS> the term 'Vendors' must be USA-specific as other countries usually
reserved that word for sellers of real estate, not goods to be resold
as in a shop.  We call a Supplier of goods, just that: Supplier or if
we buy on credit, a Creditor.

Interesting thoughts...
That's how it is currently. Once you've done it a few times it won't
be a problem, but patches always welcome. If you cannot program, and
this is important to you, then raise it as an enhancement request
GnuCash bug See the FAQ http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ [3]  
4. what does 'gnu' stand for?  
  From memory: Gnu's not Unix. Try google - too much history for me to
go into.

If I cannot make the reports suit an entity with two different sources
of revenue as above, then I won't be able to use your system,
unfortunately.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Michele Hemmings CPA
Australia

Hi Michele,
 Welcome to GnuCash. I've answered as I can above.
 I'm forwarding your email to the GnuCash user email group as
questions like this should go to them as 1. There are many more
knowledgeable people than me who may be able to help you 2. Other
people will learn from answers to your questions 3. You will probably
get more timely answers from the group than me.
 If you're not already a member of the email group, you can subscribe
at http://www.gnucash.org [4] by clicking on the Mailing Lists link.
 Regards,
 Chris Good  

Links:
------
[1] http://mail.iinet.net.au/HTTP://WWW.EXCLUSIVELYSTRATANSW.COM.AU/
[2] mailto:[hidden email]
[3] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ
[4] http://www.gnucash.org

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to Modify gnuCash Reports

Wm...
Mon, 28 Sep 2015 21:43:36
<[hidden email]>
Michele Hemmings t/a Exclusively Strata <[hidden email]>
wrote...

>
>Many thanks Chris for the quick response.
>The big issue I have is the format of the Income Statement (Profit and
>Loss).
>- Set headings of Revenue and Expense (black bold font) can't be
>changed- All items of ' Income' are reported under Revenue yet the
>business may have 'normal operations' and 'extraordinary operations' -
it is required by accounting Standards that the latter are separately
reported from the former so that (say) Rental from hiring out the
laundry basement owned by a Shoe Retailer is not mixed up with the
normal operations.  alternatively, the entity has two Profit Centres
that it wants to report for and can't with all Income items grouped
together and all Expenses grouped together.  



You can leave them out all together if you want see Options / Display
and have multiple top level Income and Expense hierarchies.

e.g.
name    type

Sales   Income
 Hats
 Dogs

Other   Income
 Betting
 Bird watching

etc

Other than that the reports can easily be edited in your favourite tool
for cosmetic niceties as ChrisG suggests.

--
Wm...

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to Modify gnuCash Reports

Mike or Penny Novack-2
On 9/29/2015 4:17 PM, Wm... wrote:

>> Many thanks Chris for the quick response.
>> The big issue I have is the format of the Income Statement (Profit and
>> Loss).
>> - Set headings of Revenue and Expense (black bold font) can't be
>> changed- All items of ' Income' are reported under Revenue yet the
>> business may have 'normal operations' and 'extraordinary operations' -
> it is required by accounting Standards that the latter are separately
> reported from the former so that (say) Rental from hiring out the
> laundry basement owned by a Shoe Retailer is not mixed up with the
> normal operations.  alternatively, the entity has two Profit Centres
> that it wants to report for and can't with all Income items grouped
> together and all Expenses grouped together.

I will, however give the competing option. Back when I began using
gnucash to keep organizational books I asked the more experienced
accounting type (lawyer who was treasurer of a lawyer's NPO) whether I
should create special reports from within  gnucash. After all, I was a
very experienced programmer, and though never did LISP family languages
for pay, could at least read any LISP dialect (scheme is a LISP
dialect). He said, "Don't bother MIke. Just create the standard reports
out of gnucash and export those and then we massage into the desired
final form with a favorite editor. We would be adding fixed text and
annotations in any case. That's how any experienced accountant would
choose to work."

In other words, don't look at this from the point  of view of the major
changes you would want, but consider ALL possibilities of editing you
might need to get to the final "pretty printed" format. If you are going
to need to use a full service editor in any case, might as well plan on
using your favorite editor for all of it. Arguing that gnucash itself
should contain the power of a full service editor ignores that users
would then have to learn yet another editor.

Michael

PS: In other words, for this organization I produce the reports (from
within gnucash) to contain all the DATA that would be needed for the
various reporting that might be done, export those "raw" reports, and
then use an editor to copy data into a document that gets edited into
the final form for presentation to the board and for various
governmental filings (who might NOT agree with each other how things to
be grouped). For example, I need to know how much each independent
contractor was paid for 1099-MISC purposes but the board doesn't want
that level of detail in their quarterly report.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to Modify gnuCash Reports

Wm...
In reply to this post by Wm...
Tue, 29 Sep 2015 21:17:16 <[hidden email]>
Wm... <[hidden email]> wrote...

[I am not ff up to myself but putting in public Michele's e-mailed
reply]

Michele, reply to the list, next one will go in the bin and it will be
your fault not ours that you don't get a reply, OK?

>===
>>Wm wrote:
>>
>>You can leave them out all together if you want see Options / Display
>>and have multiple top level Income and Expense hierarchies.
>>
>>e.g.
>>name type
>>
>>Sales Income
>>Hats
>>Dogs
>>
>>Other Income
>>Betting
>>Bird watching
>>
>>etc
>>
>>Other than that the reports can easily be edited in your favourite
>>tool
>>for cosmetic niceties as ChrisG suggests.

>How do I leave out the headings Revenue and Expense?

See above where it says Options / Display ?  That is how.

>Other income needs to be able to claim against OTher Expenses (ie as
>Extraordinary profits are not reported within normal operating revenues)

I'd produce two sub-reports if the distinction is that big a deal, see
Options / Accounts to select which Income and Expense accounts you want
in each report.

>Please show me HOW this separation is possible and then I will really
>be excited and use the program.

Perhaps someone else will help with that level of detail.

>What is the "Favourite Tool" = Excel?  Again, please give more precise
>instruction to a non-programmer!

Whatever you like.

Take any report, highlight it top left to bottom right and copy and
paste it into a word processor or spreadsheet OR export as html and open
that in your editor of choice. This isn't the place for how to use a
spreadsheet or word processor.

--
Wm...

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.