Re: GnuCash and Windows 10

ChrisGood

> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:59:32 -0500
> From: Tim Meador <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: GnuCash and Windows 10`
>
> I mosly run GnuCash on Linux, but I do have to use it on one Windows
> machine.  I was wondering if anyone has tried GnuCash on Windows 10.
> Will it work?  If not at present, does anyone know where GnuCash is at
> regarding getting a Win 10 compatible version ready?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Signature test 2
>
> Linux user since

Hi Tim,

I have installed Gnucash 2.6.7 (latest) in a new Windows 10 virtual machine and I didn't find any problems. I wouldn't think there would be any problems in a machine that was upgraded to Windows 10 either. I haven't had any success upgrading windows 7 to 10 yet (dreaded 'something happened' error).

Regards,
Chris Good

Re: GnuCash and Windows 10

Totalitout
I received 3other replies from users saying they were running on Win10 with
no problems whatsoever.  That's good.

But...you say you've had no luck upgrading from Win7 to Win10.  Uh-oh.
That's bad.

I was planning on upgrading our one Windows machine from Win7 Pro (an OEM
installation) to Win10 Pro.  Are you saying that I should forget that idea,
at least for now?

Thanks!

         Linux user since 2001

On August 6, 2015 5:54:32 PM Chris Good <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Message: 10
>> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:59:32 -0500
>> From: Tim Meador <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: GnuCash and Windows 10`
>>
>> I mosly run GnuCash on Linux, but I do have to use it on one Windows
>> machine.  I was wondering if anyone has tried GnuCash on Windows 10.
>> Will it work?  If not at present, does anyone know where GnuCash is at
>> regarding getting a Win 10 compatible version ready?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --
>> Signature test 2
>>
>> Linux user since
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> I have installed Gnucash 2.6.7 (latest) in a new Windows 10 virtual machine
> and I didn't find any problems. I wouldn't think there would be any
> problems in a machine that was upgraded to Windows 10 either. I haven't had
> any success upgrading windows 7 to 10 yet (dreaded 'something happened' error).
>
> Regards,
> Chris Good

Re: GnuCash and Windows 10

Dave H
Bearing in mind the Critical Error that I and many other users are now
getting on Win 10 I'd be waiting a few days at least until they sort it.

Cheers Dave H.

On 7 August 2015 at 09:03, Totalitout <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I received 3other replies from users saying they were running on Win10
> with no problems whatsoever.  That's good.
>
> But...you say you've had no luck upgrading from Win7 to Win10.  Uh-oh.
> That's bad.
>
> I was planning on upgrading our one Windows machine from Win7 Pro (an OEM
> installation) to Win10 Pro.  Are you saying that I should forget that idea,
> at least for now?
>
> Thanks!
>

>         Linux user since 2001
>

> On August 6, 2015 5:54:32 PM Chris Good <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Message: 10
>>> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:59:32 -0500
>>> From: Tim Meador <[hidden email]>
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: GnuCash and Windows 10`
>>>
>>> I mosly run GnuCash on Linux, but I do have to use it on one Windows
>>> machine.  I was wondering if anyone has tried GnuCash on Windows 10.
>>> Will it work?  If not at present, does anyone know where GnuCash is at
>>> regarding getting a Win 10 compatible version ready?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> --
>>> Signature test 2
>>>
>>> Linux user since
>>>

>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I have installed Gnucash 2.6.7 (latest) in a new Windows 10 virtual
>> machine and I didn't find any problems. I wouldn't think there would be any
>> problems in a machine that was upgraded to Windows 10 either. I haven't had
>> any success upgrading windows 7 to 10 yet (dreaded 'something happened'
>> error).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chris Good

Re: GnuCash and Windows 10

Totalitout
Yeah, I think I'll wait for a bit.  Microsoft has already opened a Win10
upgrade oops page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-install-errors-windows-10

...and issued a 325MB update.

I think I'd better give Microsoft some time to pull it together.

Thanks!

         Linux user since 2001

On August 6, 2015 6:21:02 PM Dave H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bearing in mind the Critical Error that I and many other users are now
> getting on Win 10 I'd be waiting a few days at least until they sort it.
>
> Cheers Dave H.
>
> On 7 August 2015 at 09:03, Totalitout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I received 3other replies from users saying they were running on Win10
>> with no problems whatsoever.  That's good.
>>
>> But...you say you've had no luck upgrading from Win7 to Win10.  Uh-oh.
>> That's bad.
>>
>> I was planning on upgrading our one Windows machine from Win7 Pro (an OEM
>> installation) to Win10 Pro.  Are you saying that I should forget that idea,
>> at least for now?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>>         Linux user since 2001
>>

>> On August 6, 2015 5:54:32 PM Chris Good <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Message: 10

>>> Hi Tim,
>>>
>>> I have installed Gnucash 2.6.7 (latest) in a new Windows 10 virtual
>>> machine and I didn't find any problems. I wouldn't think there would be any
>>> problems in a machine that was upgraded to Windows 10 either. I haven't had
>>> any success upgrading windows 7 to 10 yet (dreaded 'something happened'
>>> error).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Chris Good

Re: GnuCash and Windows 10

ChrisGood

> On 7 Aug 2015, at 9:36 am, Totalitout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yeah, I think I'll wait for a bit.  Microsoft has already opened a Win10 upgrade oops page:
>
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-install-errors-windows-10
>
> ...and issued a 325MB update.
>
> I think I'd better give Microsoft some time to pull it together.
>
> Thanks!
>

>          Linux user since 2001
>> On August 6, 2015 6:21:02 PM Dave H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bearing in mind the Critical Error that I and many other users are now getting on Win 10 I'd be waiting a few days at least until they sort it.
>>
>> Cheers Dave H.
>>
>>> On 7 August 2015 at 09:03, Totalitout <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I received 3other replies from users saying they were running on Win10 with no problems whatsoever.  That's good.
>>>
>>> But...you say you've had no luck upgrading from Win7 to Win10.  Uh-oh.  That's bad.
>>>
>>> I was planning on upgrading our one Windows machine from Win7 Pro (an OEM installation) to Win10 Pro.  Are you saying that I should forget that idea, at least for now?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>>>         Linux user since 2001

Hi Tim,

As already said, if you wait a while, the chances of Microsoft having already fixed most of the problems is much better. The laptop I tried to upgrade was pretty likely to succeed, I thought.
It had plenty of space and not much software installed.

Since I tried last weekend, Microsoft have also issued these instructions, so I'll be trying again this weekend.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-a-list-of-things-to-do-if-windows-10-setup

Totalitout, Thanks for the other link!

Regards,
Chris Good

Re: GnuCash and Windows 10

Russell Hill
Chris Good <chris.good <at> ozemail.com.au> writes:

> > Message: 10
> > Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:59:32 -0500
> > From: Tim Meador <totalitout <at> gmail.com>
> > To: gnucash-user <at> gnucash.org
> > Subject: GnuCash and Windows 10`
> >
> > I mosly run GnuCash on Linux, but I do have to use it on one Windows
> > machine.  I was wondering if anyone has tried GnuCash on Windows 10.
> > Will it work?  If not at present, does anyone know where GnuCash is at
> > regarding getting a Win 10 compatible version ready?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --
> > Signature test 2
> >
> > Linux user since
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> I have installed Gnucash 2.6.7 (latest) in a new Windows 10 virtual
machine and I didn't find any problems. I
> wouldn't think there would be any problems in a machine that was upgraded
to Windows 10 either. I haven't
> had any success upgrading windows 7 to 10 yet (dreaded 'something
happened' error).

> Regards,
> Chris Good

I installed windows10 and thought that gnu cash worked well. But then I
tried to print out a P&L account and a Balance Sheet. All the account names
came up but not a solitary monetary value anywhere in the reports. I have
gone back to windows7 at the moment.
Regards,
Russell Hill

Re: GnuCash and Windows 10

John Ralls-2

> On Aug 14, 2015, at 3:38 AM, Russell Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Chris Good <chris.good <at> ozemail.com.au> writes:
>

>>> Message: 10
>>> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:59:32 -0500
>>> From: Tim Meador <totalitout <at> gmail.com>
>>> To: gnucash-user <at> gnucash.org
>>> Subject: GnuCash and Windows 10`
>>>
>>> I mosly run GnuCash on Linux, but I do have to use it on one Windows
>>> machine.  I was wondering if anyone has tried GnuCash on Windows 10.
>>> Will it work?  If not at present, does anyone know where GnuCash is at
>>> regarding getting a Win 10 compatible version ready?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> --
>>> Signature test 2
>>>
>>> Linux user since
>>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I have installed Gnucash 2.6.7 (latest) in a new Windows 10 virtual
> machine and I didn't find any problems. I
>> wouldn't think there would be any problems in a machine that was upgraded
> to Windows 10 either. I haven't
>> had any success upgrading windows 7 to 10 yet (dreaded 'something
> happened' error).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chris Good
>>
>> Hi,
> I installed windows10 and thought that gnu cash worked well. But then I
> tried to print out a P&L account and a Balance Sheet. All the account names
> came up but not a solitary monetary value anywhere in the reports. I have
> gone back to windows7 at the moment.

Can any of the other Win10 users replicate this? If so, please try exporting a PDF and see if that has the same issue.

Re: GnuCash and Windows 10

Geert Janssens-4
On Friday 14 August 2015 17:06:38 John Ralls wrote:

> > On Aug 14, 2015, at 3:38 AM, Russell Hill <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:>

> >> Hi Tim,
> >>
> >> I have installed Gnucash 2.6.7 (latest) in a new Windows 10 virtual
> >
> > machine and I didn't find any problems. I
> >
> >> wouldn't think there would be any problems in a machine that was
> >> upgraded>
> > to Windows 10 either. I haven't
> >
> >> had any success upgrading windows 7 to 10 yet (dreaded 'something
> >
> > happened' error).
> >
> >> Regards,
> >> Chris Good
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >
> > I installed windows10 and thought that gnu cash worked well. But
> > then I tried to print out a P&L account and a Balance Sheet. All
> > the account names came up but not a solitary monetary value
> > anywhere in the reports. I have gone back to windows7 at the
> > moment.
>
> Can any of the other Win10 users replicate this? If so, please try
> exporting a PDF and see if that has the same issue.

What does your trace file [1] say about this ?

My first guess is this may be a problem with the default fonts. Can you
edit the stylesheet you are using and select a different font for the
numbers ?

You can do this via Edit->Stylesheets.

Afterwards reload your report.

Geert

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile

Re: GnuCash and Windows 10

randix
I'm using the latest version of GnuCash, had no problems upgrading to Windows 10, and have encountered no issues with GnuCash over the past couple of weeks.  I just tried printing a P&L report to a PDF file, and it printed fine, fwiw.

Steve

RE: GnuCash and Windows 10

Russell Hill

Sorry but I have gone back to Windows 7.
I also had a problem with the software for my HP printer that is not
compatible with Windows 10 so I will leave Windows 10 until I sort that out.
So I can't try your suggestion.

Regards,

Russell Hill

On Friday 14 August 2015 17:06:38 John Ralls wrote:

> >> Hi Tim,
> >>
> >> I have installed Gnucash 2.6.7 (latest) in a new Windows 10 virtual
> >
> > machine and I didn't find any problems. I
> >
> >> wouldn't think there would be any problems in a machine that was
> >> upgraded>
> > to Windows 10 either. I haven't
> >
> >> had any success upgrading windows 7 to 10 yet (dreaded 'something
> >
> > happened' error).
> >
> >> Regards,
> >> Chris Good
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >
> > I installed windows10 and thought that gnu cash worked well. But
> > then I tried to print out a P&L account and a Balance Sheet. All the
> > account names came up but not a solitary monetary value anywhere in
> > the reports. I have gone back to windows7 at the moment.
>
> Can any of the other Win10 users replicate this? If so, please try
> exporting a PDF and see if that has the same issue.

What does your trace file [1] say about this ?

My first guess is this may be a problem with the default fonts. Can you edit
the stylesheet you are using and select a different font for the numbers ?

You can do this via Edit->Stylesheets.

Afterwards reload your report.

Geert

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile