Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] custom report freezing - work done gets lost.

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] custom report freezing - work done gets lost.

Christopher Lam
Sorry without specific detail what you're trying to do, we can't help.
Moreover this is open-source, including open-source help requests.
cc: devel

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 at 05:58, Steven Bruniges <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Not even sure it’s the session I want to save (hoping for the function
> underlying the save option in the file menu).
>

> Working through a process of elimination.  I’d love to find the
> transaction that’s triggering this behaviour.  If I can reduce the 3000
> splits to something more manageable I may find the issue?
>

> The report typically hangs and Task manager shows the system is at rest.
> If I modify the code to open warning dialogs it crashes after a number of
> loops.  No output in the trace file.  Either way, I get no diagnostic
> feedback.
>

> Its possible I am retaining pointers to a deleted split, or running across
> a temporary split that was never finished, etc, (or both).
>

> On that point, is there any test if a split is deleted?
>

> Steve

[GNC-dev] Fwd: [GNC] custom report freezing - work done gets lost.

Christopher Lam
Ok forwarding to people who have better idea.

Have identifies my issue.   Was calling xaccTransDestroy with pointers to
splits that had been destroyed in an earlier loop.  Not sure why this locks
up gnucash.

Steve

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019, 22:20 Christopher Lam, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Sorry without specific detail what you're trying to do, we can't help.
> Moreover this is open-source, including open-source help requests.
> cc: devel
>
> On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 at 05:58, Steven Bruniges <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Not even sure it’s the session I want to save (hoping for the function
>> underlying the save option in the file menu).
>>

>> Working through a process of elimination.  I’d love to find the
>> transaction that’s triggering this behaviour.  If I can reduce the 3000
>> splits to something more manageable I may find the issue?
>>

>> The report typically hangs and Task manager shows the system is at rest.
>> If I modify the code to open warning dialogs it crashes after a number of
>> loops.  No output in the trace file.  Either way, I get no diagnostic
>> feedback.
>>

>> Its possible I am retaining pointers to a deleted split, or running
>> across a temporary split that was never finished, etc, (or both).
>>

>> On that point, is there any test if a split is deleted?
>>

>> Steve

John Ralls-2
You mean why does it hang instead of crashing? Possibly because the memory was reallocated back to the program for something else and the attempt to free the splits is freeing whatever that is and that's resulting in a hang.

But why would a report create or delete splits or transactions? A report should be describing the book as it is, not changing it.