Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] STP (Australia only)

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] STP (Australia only)

Christopher Lam
No immediate need for STP myself, but I am sure that a derivative of
income-gst-statement.scm can handle this easily.
If the payroll accounts are well defined and diligently written, then it'll
be easy to export periodic sums as csv (or XBRL if desired).

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 at 09:33, Liz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> STP, or single touch payroll, is something thought up by the
> bureaucrats to be sure we pay our way. It has some aspects in common
> with the UK's making tax digital.
>
> This is supposed to be running already, but people like me, who own the
> company and pay only themselves, have a little more time before they
> are obliged to sign up.
>
> So far, I am learning a lot of new jargon.
> The data to be transferred needs setting out in a csv file (I understand
> that)
> The data is converted to XBRL (new to me)
> The data is transmitted using ebMS3/AS4 security (new to me)
>
> A receipt is generated and returned (no new acronyms here)
>
> There are a number of companies offering to be the middleman in these
> processes. Some are free, others are not. Most of them offer payroll,
> which I neither need nor want.
>
> I looked at some which were apparently Linux friendly and found jar
> files that would not run, and AppImage and Snap files that wouldn't
> work either.
>
> Questions
> Are other Australian Gnucash users dealing with this, or still stalling
> like me?
> Are there any preferred solutions that anyone on the list has tried?
> If I can find out the csv format required, would it be helpful to any
> users to be able to export this automatically from Gnucash? I could
> construct mine by hand and just copy it every month, so I am not
> needing this myself.
>
> Liz

Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] STP (Australia only)

Liz
On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 10:37:51 +0000
Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No immediate need for STP myself, but I am sure that a derivative of
> income-gst-statement.scm can handle this easily.
> If the payroll accounts are well defined and diligently written, then
> it'll be easy to export periodic sums as csv (or XBRL if desired).
>
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 at 09:33, Liz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > STP, or single touch payroll, is something thought up by the
> > bureaucrats to be sure we pay our way. It has some aspects in common
> > with the UK's making tax digital.
> >
> > This is supposed to be running already, but people like me, who own
> > the company and pay only themselves, have a little more time before
> > they are obliged to sign up.
> >
> > So far, I am learning a lot of new jargon.
> > The data to be transferred needs setting out in a csv file (I
> > understand that)
> > The data is converted to XBRL (new to me)
> > The data is transmitted using ebMS3/AS4 security (new to me)
> >
> > A receipt is generated and returned (no new acronyms here)
> >
> > There are a number of companies offering to be the middleman in
> > these processes. Some are free, others are not. Most of them offer
> > payroll, which I neither need nor want.
> >
> > I looked at some which were apparently Linux friendly and found jar
> > files that would not run, and AppImage and Snap files that wouldn't
> > work either.
> >
> > Questions
> > Are other Australian Gnucash users dealing with this, or still
> > stalling like me?
> > Are there any preferred solutions that anyone on the list has tried?
> > If I can find out the csv format required, would it be helpful to
> > any users to be able to export this automatically from Gnucash? I
> > could construct mine by hand and just copy it every month, so I am
> > not needing this myself.
> >
> > Liz

From what I have determined so far the data list would include

individual's TFN
                Gross pay
                Tax remitted
                Superannuation remitted
                Superannuation messaging house identity

There are options for specifying bank accounts to which remitted, and I
think the main purpose of that is the construction of an ABA file to
send to the employer's bank to make the payments.

More experimentation as I explore will provide answers.
I think producing the XBRL directly would be best. This could then
allow a small company to directly access a service like Ozedi, which
offers a service where a small company can buy credits with them in
advance.
https://www.ozedi.com.au/stp-payroll-providers/commercial-options/

I haven't explored other providers like
https://www.obsecuremessaging.com mainly because their site doesn't
contain much information.

Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] STP (Australia only)

Christopher Lam
Hi Liz; as usual, a sample datafile with appropriate payroll accounts and
transaction would be useful, and the desired XBRL output. Please be aware I
have seen some XBRL embedded within HTML files around a few years ago (from
UK tax returns) but never actually used one myself.

I do better with examples rather than reading official specs. So if you can
provide above, I can try :) it'll likely be a separate .scm to run on
recent releases.

Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] STP (Australia only)

Liz
On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 18:07:16 +1000
Graham Menhennitt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Liz,
>
> I'm in the same boat as you - single employee (me) and having to move
> to STP soon. Have you made any progress on this?
>
> I've been using GnuCash for quite a while. But I've never used it
> directly for anything to do with the ATO - I just run a report every
> quarter and copy the results to the BAS.
>
> I'm a software engineer so I know a bit about this stuff. But web
> programming is not my area of expertise.
>
> Cheers,
>      Graham

I signed up with Payroller which deals with my immediate problem, but
doesn't answer the questions at all.
I was disappointed to find that I still have to fill out an IAS every
month. Just more work, for little gain.

As far as BAS goes, that's how I have done mine over a long period.

Liz