Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Christopher Lam
Dear Liz

Thank you for experiments - this confirms that doing a proper
reconciliation report is *difficult*

Please experiment further (1) expand dates eg from 01/01/1980 to
01/01/2099 (2) let me know the characteristics of the 77 missing amounts
- are they unreconciled/cleared/reconciled?

I guess you can build from source, would you care to try
https://github.com/christopherlam/gnucash/tree/maint-scheme-progress-and-reconcile-header
which will add a reconcile-report header?

I'm fully aware this report is currently incomplete and will need
further refinements. For instance IMHO the primary sortkey should be
frozen to 'reconciled status'.

I'd be keen to discuss further to shape it into a proper report.

Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Liz
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 18:49:05 +0800
Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Liz
>
> Thank you for experiments - this confirms that doing a proper
> reconciliation report is *difficult*
>
> Please experiment further (1) expand dates eg from 01/01/1980 to
> 01/01/2099 (2) let me know the characteristics of the 77 missing
> amounts
> - are they unreconciled/cleared/reconciled?
>
> I guess you can build from source, would you care to try
> https://github.com/christopherlam/gnucash/tree/maint-scheme-progress-and-reconcile-header
> which will add a reconcile-report header?
>
> I'm fully aware this report is currently incomplete and will need
> further refinements. For instance IMHO the primary sortkey should be
> frozen to 'reconciled status'.
>
> I'd be keen to discuss further to shape it into a proper report.

Expanded date took a few goes with the system altering the date I typed
- I had to use the calendar to enforce my requests.
So, expanding the period into the future (01/01/2043 I got to) makes no
change.
Making the start date prior to the start of the file (01/01/1980) shows
all the transactions, as it should.

So with some experimentation
A start date up to 31/08/2018 shows reconciled and unreconciled
transactions
A start date of 01/09/2018 shows unreconciled only.
Building another package will follow.

Liz
Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Liz
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 12:02:38 +1100
Liz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I guess you can build from source, would you care to try
> > https://github.com/christopherlam/gnucash/tree/maint-scheme-progress-and-reconcile-header
> > which will add a reconcile-report header?

Started on this and come unstuck on GTest
Checking for GTEST
CMake Error  at common/cmake_modules/GncAddTest.cmake:144 (message):
  GTEST not found.  Please install it or set GTEST_ROOT or GMOCK_ROOT

I don't really want a GoogleTest.
Can I just make GMOCK_ROOT=/tmp

??

Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

David Cousens
Liz,

Google Test and Google Mock are used to perform unit tests on the Google code. These tests check the components of
GnuCash out individually to ensure they are performing as expected. This is particularly important when things like
libraries GnuCash depends upon change. This can happen for example when a user does not have the same library versions
as a developer. If the components functionality doesn't change when a library is chnaged, then there is a better than
even chance the overall program operation will still be OK.

GTEST and GMOCK need to be installed to build GnuCash. Despite the reservations expressed about using the installation
of them as shared libraries, I have used shared GTEST and GMOCK libraries since GTEST and GMOCK have been in the GnuCash
build without any problems and this does not require defining GTEST_ROOT and GMOCK_ROOT.

See the second procedure  https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Google_Test or the third procedure for installing using apt if
you are on a Ubuntu based system . AFAIK they work for 16.10, 18.04 and 18.10 or Linux Mint 18 through to 19.

David Cousens

Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Liz
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 18:49:05 +0800
Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please experiment further (1) expand dates eg from 01/01/1980 to
> 01/01/2099 (2) let me know the characteristics of the 77 missing
> amounts
> - are they unreconciled/cleared/reconciled?
>
> I guess you can build from source, would you care to try
> https://github.com/christopherlam/gnucash/tree/maint-scheme-progress-and-reconcile-header
> which will add a reconcile-report header?

This is the result from the the git build, working from a copy of my
file
I suppressed the description column
No transactions from 31/8/18 to 31/12/18
77 or so in the file.

Liz

output3.pdf (33K) Download Attachment

It’s not that big. Just install it with your package manager, in which case you shouldn’t need to set GTEST_ROOT and GMOCK_ROOT, or clone it from https://github.com/googlestest <https://github.com/googlestest> and set those variables to the full path of the subdirs googletest and googlemock in your clone on the cmake command line.

Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Liz
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 19:56:25 -0800
John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It’s not that big. Just install it with your package manager, in
> which case you shouldn’t need to set GTEST_ROOT and GMOCK_ROOT, or
> clone it from https://github.com/googlestest
> <https://github.com/googlestest> and set those variables to the full
> path of the subdirs googletest and googlemock in your clone on the
> cmake command line.

It was installed, but I couldn't get the cmake to go ahead without
putting the path on the command line. I've not used cmake before.

Liz
Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Liz
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 12:09:06 +1000
David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> GTEST and GMOCK need to be installed to build GnuCash. Despite the
> reservations expressed about using the installation of them as shared
> libraries, I have used shared GTEST and GMOCK libraries since GTEST
> and GMOCK have been in the GnuCash build without any problems and
> this does not require defining GTEST_ROOT and GMOCK_ROOT.

Installed both through apt on a Debian buster / sid system.
googletest was installed by asking apt to install all the requirements
for a Gnucash build.
googlemock I had to install separately.

I realise that you are saying that it should have "just worked" but it
didn't. Editing CMakeLists.txt didn't work (perhaps I didn't get it
correct). Specifying GTEST_ROOT on the command line did work.

End result for my file - no change.

Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Christopher Lam
The only addition so far is a reconcile report custom header with total
ending balance and total ending reconciled balance. Not sure why it's not
showing in your attachment. We'll try to work this note that you can build;)

Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Liz
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 12:53:19 +0800
Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The only addition so far is a reconcile report custom header with
> total ending balance and total ending reconciled balance. Not sure
> why it's not showing in your attachment. We'll try to work this note
> that you can build;)

I thought I may have run the installed binary so I carefully repeated
the exercise on the built gnucash, got the warning that it was a
developmental version that may not work, and an identical report output
to that which I sent earlier.

[holds two hands in air to say "I dunno"]

Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Christopher Lam
Report example attached.

Note the report header - your screenshot would suggest you haven't been
able to build from my tree.

Try General / Display options summary = always to debug why txns are
missing.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/Aw89EyPqf8O8ZL3x/null

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/b10744f6-2ee0-4778-ba55-08a15b1c4b8f.png

On 13/1/19 2:50 pm, Liz wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 12:53:19 +0800
> Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The only addition so far is a reconcile report custom header with
>> total ending balance and total ending reconciled balance. Not sure
>> why it's not showing in your attachment. We'll try to work this note
>> that you can build;)
> I thought I may have run the installed binary so I carefully repeated
> the exercise on the built gnucash, got the warning that it was a
> developmental version that may not work, and an identical report output
> to that which I sent earlier.
>
> [holds two hands in air to say "I dunno"]
>
> Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Christopher Lam
Hi

If you can pull from my git again I think you'll find the reconcile
report now matches the formal tool very well.

 1. disable date filter - i.e. grab *all* transactions
 2. filter to unreconciled or cleared only
 3. calculate start/end balances

Comments welcome.

On 13/1/19 10:58 am, Liz wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 18:49:05 +0800
> Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Please experiment further (1) expand dates eg from 01/01/1980 to
>> 01/01/2099 (2) let me know the characteristics of the 77 missing
>> amounts
>> - are they unreconciled/cleared/reconciled?
>>
>> I guess you can build from source, would you care to try
>> https://github.com/christopherlam/gnucash/tree/maint-scheme-progress-and-reconcile-header
>> which will add a reconcile-report header?
>
> This is the result from the the git build, working from a copy of my
> file
> I suppressed the description column
> No transactions from 31/8/18 to 31/12/18
> 77 or so in the file.
>
> Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Adrien Monteleone-2
Christopher,

There is another current thread on gnucash-user looking for something similar: https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2019-January/081941.html

Can you share your report files there or does the new version also require changes to other parts of gnucash to make it work?

> On Jan 13, 2019, at 9:39 AM, Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> If you can pull from my git again I think you'll find the reconcile report now matches the formal tool very well.
>
> 1. disable date filter - i.e. grab *all* transactions
> 2. filter to unreconciled or cleared only
> 3. calculate start/end balances
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> On 13/1/19 10:58 am, Liz wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 18:49:05 +0800
>> Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Please experiment further (1) expand dates eg from 01/01/1980 to
>>> 01/01/2099 (2) let me know the characteristics of the 77 missing
>>> amounts
>>> - are they unreconciled/cleared/reconciled?
>>>
>>> I guess you can build from source, would you care to try
>>> https://github.com/christopherlam/gnucash/tree/maint-scheme-progress-and-reconcile-header
>>> which will add a reconcile-report header?
>>
>> This is the result from the the git build, working from a copy of my
>> file
>> I suppressed the description column
>> No transactions from 31/8/18 to 31/12/18
>> 77 or so in the file.
>>
>> Liz

Re: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Reconciliation Report -- Can't find transactions

Christopher Lam
The suggested reconciliation changes will need lots of testing and bug
fixing prior to wider dissemination and merging. Because it delegates to
the very versatile transaction report, it still exposes far too many
options and I think loss of options need to be hidden but I don't wish to
impose further. You're very welcome to take part and make suggestions BTW.