Re: [GNC-dev] Budgets: showing total-to-date in budget period, and previous month totals only

Re: [GNC-dev] Budgets: showing total-to-date in budget period, and previous month totals only

Christopher Lam
Hi Phil
I've taken the liberty of fixing up your YTD-budget, renamed to budget-ytd.
I don't use budgeting myself and cannot check figures. But it seems useful
enough.
https://github.com/christopherlam/gnucash/tree/master-ytd
Would you be kind to double check it works as expected in 3.1/maint onwards?

On 26 March 2018 at 20:04, Phil Longstaff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have attached a report which does this.
>
> I have attached ytd-budget.scm. I have this file in
> c:\Users\phill\.gnucash\reports. I then add this line to
> c:\Users\phill\.gnucash\config.user:
>
>     (load "c:\\Users\\phill\\.gnucash\\reports\\ytd-budget.scm")
>
> This gives me a new "YTD budget" with 3 sets of columns:
> 1) selected month
> 2) year-to-date
> 3) full year
>
> It always shows actual and budget amounts, and there is an option to add
> difference. There is also an option to select which month you want to show.
>
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 7:21 PM, Macho Philipovich <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear Gnucash Users,
> >

> > I am looking to for a report/view that will show
> > budgeted/actual/difference amounts for selected accounts for the
> > previous month, as well as the totals for all months to date in the
> > current budgeting period.
> >

> > The wiki seems to suggest that GnuCash does not natively support this,
> > but that it's possible using the third-party "Little Budget Tool":
> >

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Budget_History#Add-On:_.22The_
> > Little_Budget_Tool.22
> >

> > When I tried to download and compile the said software, however I didn't
> > get anywhere. I couldn't get ./configure to recognize the presence of
> > qt, and when I told it to ignore, it balked on the first g++ command. On
> > the one hand, it would not surprise me to learn that I'm just not doing
> > the configure && make process properly. On the other, this software was
> > last revised thirteen years ago.
> >

> > Any advice you can provide on getting the report view I'm looking for
> > would be greatly appreciated!
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Macho

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC-dev] Budgets: showing total-to-date in budget period, and previous month totals only

Phil Longstaff-5
Hi Chris,

I am running 3.1 and it works. The only comment I have is that the 'Bgt',
'Act' and 'Diff' headings are left-justified and look a bit strange. I
think center- or right-justified would be better.

Thanks for doing this.
Phil

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 11:16 AM Christopher Lam <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Phil
> I've taken the liberty of fixing up your YTD-budget, renamed to budget-ytd.
> I don't use budgeting myself and cannot check figures. But it seems useful
> enough.
> https://github.com/christopherlam/gnucash/tree/master-ytd
> Would you be kind to double check it works as expected in 3.1/maint
> onwards?
>
> On 26 March 2018 at 20:04, Phil Longstaff <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I have attached a report which does this.
>>
>> I have attached ytd-budget.scm. I have this file in
>> c:\Users\phill\.gnucash\reports. I then add this line to
>> c:\Users\phill\.gnucash\config.user:
>>
>>     (load "c:\\Users\\phill\\.gnucash\\reports\\ytd-budget.scm")
>>
>> This gives me a new "YTD budget" with 3 sets of columns:
>> 1) selected month
>> 2) year-to-date
>> 3) full year
>>
>> It always shows actual and budget amounts, and there is an option to add
>> difference. There is also an option to select which month you want to
>> show.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 7:21 PM, Macho Philipovich <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Dear Gnucash Users,
>> >

>> > I am looking to for a report/view that will show
>> > budgeted/actual/difference amounts for selected accounts for the
>> > previous month, as well as the totals for all months to date in the
>> > current budgeting period.
>> >

>> > The wiki seems to suggest that GnuCash does not natively support this,
>> > but that it's possible using the third-party "Little Budget Tool":
>> >

>> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Budget_History#Add-On:_.22The_
>> > Little_Budget_Tool.22
>> >

>> > When I tried to download and compile the said software, however I didn't
>> > get anywhere. I couldn't get ./configure to recognize the presence of
>> > qt, and when I told it to ignore, it balked on the first g++ command. On
>> > the one hand, it would not surprise me to learn that I'm just not doing
>> > the configure && make process properly. On the other, this software was
>> > last revised thirteen years ago.
>> >

>> > Any advice you can provide on getting the report view I'm looking for
>> > would be greatly appreciated!
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Macho

>> > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>> > -----

Re: [GNC-dev] Budgets: showing total-to-date in budget period, and previous month totals only

Christopher Lam
Hi Phil, glad to know I haven't broken anything. Can't think what to do
about headers; these are problems that should be fixed in CSS! If you
wish I can submit a PR but ideally would wish to create a satisfactory
test datafile and report output. I don't use budget, so, I wouldn't be
the best here. If you can send me, I'll try make a basic test for it. C