Re: [GNC] [MAINT] server upgrade planned Feb 3, 2019 1200-2300 US/EST

Liz

Re: [GNC] [MAINT] server upgrade planned Feb 3, 2019 1200-2300 US/EST

Liz
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:35:58 -0500
Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> PLANNED MAINTENANCE
> WHAT:  Upgrading Operating System on Code
> WHEN:  Feb 3, 2019  1200-2300 US/EST (1700-0400 UTC)
>

> tl;dr: I am planning to upgrade the OS on code.gnucash.org on February
>         3, 2019 from 1200-2300 US/EDT (1700-0400 UTC).  During this
>         time, git master, wiki, email/mailman, and gncbot/irc logs
> will all be unavailable.  I'll be on #gnucash IRC for real-time
>         updates and notices.
>

> Long version:
>
> The GnuCash "everything" server is getting a little long on the tooth,
> and to enable some upgraded build tools I plan to upgrade the server
> from Fedora 25 to Fedora 29.  I plan to do this upgrade on Sunday,
> February 3, 2019, starting somewhere around 12:00 noon US/EST
> (although my personal schedule might push that back, hense the long
> maintenance window).  I've upgraded a few systems from F25 -> F29
> already, some of them upgraded in an hour, one system took over 4
> hours.
>
> Code has lots of services so I expect it will take a long time to
> upgrade and verify that everything is working.
>
> During the upgrade window code will be unavailable, and the services
> running on code will be unavailable.  I will stay on IRC during the
> upgrade to make real-time announcements.
>
> Please let me know if this time frame does not work for you.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -derek

Well that's so many hours less spam I get to check....
I'm quite happy with the proposal

:)

Liz

Re: [GNC] [MAINT] server upgrade planned Feb 3, 2019 1200-2300 US/EST

Xboxboy Mageia
On Wed., 16 Jan. 2019, 7:06 pm Liz <[hidden email] wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:35:58 -0500
> Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > PLANNED MAINTENANCE
> > WHAT:  Upgrading Operating System on Code
> > WHEN:  Feb 3, 2019  1200-2300 US/EST (1700-0400 UTC)
> >

> > tl;dr: I am planning to upgrade the OS on code.gnucash.org on February
> >         3, 2019 from 1200-2300 US/EDT (1700-0400 UTC).  During this
> >         time, git master, wiki, email/mailman, and gncbot/irc logs
> > will all be unavailable.  I'll be on #gnucash IRC for real-time
> >         updates and notices.
> >

> > Long version:
> >
> > The GnuCash "everything" server is getting a little long on the tooth,
> > and to enable some upgraded build tools I plan to upgrade the server
> > from Fedora 25 to Fedora 29.  I plan to do this upgrade on Sunday,
> > February 3, 2019, starting somewhere around 12:00 noon US/EST
> > (although my personal schedule might push that back, hense the long
> > maintenance window).  I've upgraded a few systems from F25 -> F29
> > already, some of them upgraded in an hour, one system took over 4
> > hours.
> >
> > Code has lots of services so I expect it will take a long time to
> > upgrade and verify that everything is working.
> >
> > During the upgrade window code will be unavailable, and the services
> > running on code will be unavailable.  I will stay on IRC during the
> > upgrade to make real-time announcements.
> >
> > Please let me know if this time frame does not work for you.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -derek
> >

> Well that's so many hours less spam I get to check....
> I'm quite happy with the proposal
>
> :)
>
> Liz

I've got two fedora servers that have done multiple os updates over the
years. Mine have all gone smoothly. Best of luck, hope it goes as well as
mine have.

Re: [GNC] [MAINT] server upgrade planned Feb 3, 2019 1200-2300 US/EST

Derek Atkins-3
Liz <[hidden email]> writes:

> Well that's so many hours less spam I get to check....
> I'm quite happy with the proposal

Hahah.  I don't expect to have 11 hours of down time -- but I don't know
what my personal schedule will be that day so I wanted to leave
wiggle-room for when I'll actually get to do the work.  I might not be
able to start until 1800 local time instead of 1200 local -- it's really
going to depend on the family and our superbowl plans.  I figured, worst
case, I would have the laptop next to me while watching the game :)

> :)
>
> Liz

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Xboxboy Mageia <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've got two fedora servers that have done multiple os updates over the
> years. Mine have all gone smoothly. Best of luck, hope it goes as well as
> mine have.

Thanks.  I've upgraded several machines (real and virtual) from F25 ->
F29 over the past week or two.  Some have gone more smoothly than
others.  But of course YMMV.  For example, there were some packaging
issues going from F27 -> F28 that required me to remove some packages,
upgrade, and then add them back in.  I don't think code will be affected
by this, but you never know.  This is also why I try very very very hard
to keep to distributed packages and not build-your-own.

The real key, however, is to make sure that all the services are
properly configured at the end of the process.  For example, on one
server I had the httpd.conf file got reset, which required me to
re-configure it.  I suspect this will happen on code, too.  In other
case, a giflib program that I was using was dropped (upstream), causing
some scripts to break.  This specifically wont affect code, but a
similar issue might arrise.  It's "minor" things like this that I feel
will take the most amount of time, not the dnf system-upgrade steps.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745